PDA

View Full Version : Flight dispatcher way out

to_dan
21st Jan 2009, 10:41
Hi all,

I have almost 10 years of expertise in flight dispatch on long haul and regional operations. I’m willing to change airline as here the job is less motivating because underpaid (some hundreds of $/month). Furthermore as flight dispatcher I earn even less than cabin crew (not willing to offend this profession).
The only way for me is to seek abroad but again one big issue is citizenship. After that comes the license equivalent issue (mine is from French – ENAC). Though it is ICAO compliant, seemingly many airlines seem to give much credit to FAA license. Some may question why I don’t pursue FAA training. Don’t be short memory, how can I pay this with what I earn?
I wanted to know if there are some airlines willing to grant training funding for any prospective future employee of course based on contract agreement. I’m from French speaking country. Some may wonder how my English … Up to the employer to judge is.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to shade lights on which way to go for me!:(

jackdaniels
21st Jan 2009, 20:55
Dan,

Welcome to the valley of sorrows!!!

OCNL EMBD
27th Jan 2009, 00:44
here we go!:}
iT'S QUITE THE SAME AS HERE ...IN ITALY.

Dam
28th Jan 2009, 19:57
hello
I am french and have about 3 year experience as a Ramp dispatcher and 1 as a Flight dispatcher.
I hold a Dispsacher certificate from ESMA
I encounter the same problems
unfortunatley I think there is n hope! sorry!
we would need a European Licence to have better chances but ....still doesn't exist
not to mention the job of a dispatcher is more and more done by computers
the Ramp dispatcher jobs(agent de trafic) tend to get fewer and fewer
If you find solutions please PM me I would be interested! I will do the same on my side
thanks

to_dan
4th Feb 2009, 16:54
Hi Dam,

With the hectic way of life we have today we need something quicly that is why the "job of a dispatcher is more and more done by computers" as you said. However never forget that in aviation safety is first ... Computers are just quick but not intelligent so either it is in the cockpit or in flight dispatch office human beeing gives confidence. What's more ... You are the master of computers not the other way. A good FD must know also how to do manual flight plan and to find take off limitation manually ...

Bon courage!:ok:

FlightDispatch
7th Feb 2009, 10:57
Hey guys,

Oh boy are we in a pickle. I myself have been a FD for 6 years in Hong Kong. I don't know how much you guys get paid in Europe but It can't be lower than me. I've just left and came back to the UK. Hoping to bring my experience with me. but looking at all the negative feedback I'm getting worried about all this. I'm doing my FAA FD license hopefully this would appeal to some airlines or ground handling agents.

You guys are right Cabin Crew do make more than us. Its all the computers fault. If we were still doing manual flight planning we would be paid a real lot more.

Best of luck guys.

PS. Know any good companies to work for in the UK or if their hiring?

HZ123
7th Feb 2009, 13:34
Agree it is mostly computerised. Todays aircraft are far more technical and forgiving when loads / weights are not spot on. Routes and loads are repetative so the load / balance / loadplan might be the same today, tomorrow and three years from now. I think what you are saying is common to the complete familly within aviation. All of us are gradually down skilling and earning less, the magic has long gone as have the rewards. However, is this not happening in the majority of jobs / tasks worldwide not helped by the present climate.

BelArgUSA
7th Feb 2009, 15:43
Sure - everything gets computerized.
xxx
It does not take a licenced dispatcher to click the MET report and NOTAMS for London for departure, and same for arrival in New York. The problem comes when the documents for the enroute portion are clicked for winds and MET forecasts for Dubai, and Bahrain instead of Keflavik and Gander.
xxx
Computers work great and efficiently. But takes some brains to put the flight papers together for a flight. You can autoland many airplanes nowadays, but still require a pilot licence to click the FMS and autopilot. It is nice when a dispatcher marks all specifically applicable to your flight, with a bright yellow highlighter.
xxx
Had to learn to type on a typewriter before typing on this computer.
xxx
And true, ca. 2060, there will be no human dispatchers any longer.
And by 2070, no pilots either...
xxx
:*
Happy contrails