PDA

View Full Version : QANTAS - Working on the A380

Domestos
21st Jan 2009, 02:36
I am interested in any of our colleagues who are already working on the A380. Can you please tell us what life is like:

1. Is there any truth to the rumours that meal service times are taking forever???? Perhaps the company needs to revise service timings/service flows?

2. Have the flights been full/half capacity?

3. Do you find that the working environment on the A380 is better than the B747 in terms of galley, crew rest, seating config etc.

packrat
21st Jan 2009, 09:08
It was suggested to management, even before the A380 arrived,that the successful operation of all cabins required 2 CSSs.
Ahh but they know better..they are management.
Keep writing reports and get the FAAA in on the act.It will also be good for promotional opportunities

Domestos
21st Jan 2009, 18:07
Thanks ABP for the info.....very good to know this stuff so I can squash any bad mouthing that is currently going on in the galleys of non-A380 aircraft. A lot of people think that the A380 crew are taking hours to complete the service...I had no idea that this was because of all the things that you mentioned. Thanks for info....I will let others know about the truth re: the fact that it is still work in progress.

Can I ask....why are crew not allowed to use the front stairs? It seems very bizzare forcing crew to walk all the way to the back and then up around again. Is it because P/C is at the front on the main deck and that the company do not want crew to be using that as a traffic lane? I can understand pax not being allowed to use front stairs....but crew?

Domestos
22nd Jan 2009, 14:02
Wow! Hosting someone for dinner...that's awesome....love the innovation. I suppose if one is paying so much money to fly P/C then by all means they can have whoever they want.

The aircraft must be so quiet inside to have P/C pax complain about crew walking upstairs. Can crew use the stairs in an emergency, say if they needed to bolt upstairs to get something in an emergency or see someone? Or are the stairs TOTALLY forbidden?

Little_Red_Hat
22nd Jan 2009, 15:16
Screw forbidden! If it's an emergency then who cares if you have to wake up the pax... even if they are P class... 'safety above service, always' remember! :E

Great info on the A380, I had been wondering about some of the exact issues you've brought up. Does it seem a fairly two-way process at the moment, I mean, is the company receptive of your suggestions as operating crew for improvements? And I guess it's not really like A380-operating airlines can workshop on it, they've all got such different layouts and approaches to it...

Slighty OT... did they have a full crew comp onboard for Nancy's flyover yesterday, or was it flight crew & gingerbeers only?

TopBunk
22nd Jan 2009, 15:34
Wow! Hosting someone for dinner...that's awesome....love the innovation

Hardly an innovation! Been able to do that in BA in First Class for about 10 years:rolleyes:

keel beam
22nd Jan 2009, 16:58
Hardly an innovation! Been able to do that in BA in First Class for about 10 years:rolleyes:

Hate to show my age, but it is 15+ years :eek:

TopBunk
23rd Jan 2009, 06:19
Keel Beam

You are probably right - it was when the flat beds were introduced into first that the buddy seat started. Was it back in 1994? Time flies .....:\

rjtjrt
23rd Jan 2009, 06:38
ABP
Quote - "the aim is to get the possible results for our passengers"

How refreshing to hear such a great and positive attitude from CC to pax. Far better than the alternative cynical attitude.

You will go far in your career but more importantly enjoy going to work each (most) days. Don't become cynical like some others - it will destroy said enjoyment. Most crew and most pax are decent people who if treated as such will respond.

Little_Red_Hat
24th Jan 2009, 03:21
Thanks for that ABP, glad to hear things are going relatively well. It's always tough getting a new type into service, even with people who've been flying for years! Happy to hear the pax like it too.... you know the usual media beatups you get.

Hope to get a look around one of the A380s soon....!

What's your favourite feature so far? And least favourite??? Just curious!

dizzylizzy
24th Jan 2009, 07:20
With regards to the Yclass self service snack bar in the rear of M deck, do you find that people congregate or just come and go? Oh how I love the picture of the "toddler" like gates at the top of the rear stairs leading to U deck at end of W. Hilarious!

girtbar
24th Jan 2009, 16:19
I have a quick question, i was admittedly very sad and had a quick look on seat guru to see how the different airlines had config their Whale....erm A380...and noticed that Qantas are the only airline that have a seat missing in the main deck Y section row 69D/70D.

Can i ask why? Is it a hatch from the crew rest? Or is there just one really lucky person who wins this extra leg room seat before takeoff??

Also how are the pax in the Premium Economy Cabin finding things? Whats the privacy screen for those next to the toilets in 38/39 DEF working?

Just thought i'd ask......

HAMO
2nd Apr 2009, 09:53
How many CC do QF have in each class on the A380?

Does this compare with the other 380 flyers ie EK and SQ

ditzyboy
2nd Apr 2009, 12:48
1 CSM
1 CSS
3 First
8 Business
2 Prem Y
7 Economy

I also believe Qantas has more cabin crew than EK and SQ, with less seats overall.

Jackbr
3rd Apr 2009, 02:06
Which crew seats are designated for the CSM/CSS?

Shazz-zaam
5th Apr 2009, 07:10
So, let's look at how efficient it is when it come to utilising cabin crew.

Qantas A380
450 passengers
22 cabin crew

Qantas 747-400, 2 class 56 J/C , 356 Y/C
Total 412 passengers
14 cabin crew

so for an extra capacity of 38 passengers you get 8 extra crew.

Just wondering, what exactly do all these extra crew do??

Give us extra crew on the 747-400 instead of taking one away and an IFE system that actually works and we could easily give the A380 a run for it's money as the new Queen of the skies.

PattyStacker
5th Apr 2009, 08:42
Work 30 % more hours for 30% less pay and they probably will Shazz-zaam

inandout
5th Apr 2009, 10:16
VA has 13 for 361= I FA per 27 PAX
QF 747 1FA per 29 PAX

twiggs
5th Apr 2009, 10:20
Comparing total passengers and total crew for different aircraft doesn't work when you have different numbers of classes and different numbers in each class.

The best comparison that highlights the difference is looking at J class on an A380 and a 744P.
A380 8 crew for 72 J class 1:9
744P 6 crew for 66 J class 1:11

As I said in a different thread, they could easily lose a crew member in J on the A380, but unfortunately the crew are not experienced enough to get the job done in reasonable time with 8, and as PattyStacker said, the crew are cheaper on the A380 so it is not as big a saving to remove someone.

jungle juice
5th Apr 2009, 10:45
PattyStacker,I know what you are saying but the horse has long bolted and it's far too late to close the barn door now.So you might as well forget about it.

This depends on what sort of fighting gear the crew have to work with but if the QF crew have similar equipment and there are about the same number of crew then QF will have no excuses in competing with SIA and EK on a service level.

Having inexperienced crew is not a problem because it depends on how many you have at the one time.

twiggs
5th Apr 2009, 11:28
No assist crew from economy either on the 744, the 6 includes the CSM who may or may not even be there if IFE or other issues arise.

ditch handle
5th Apr 2009, 11:45
The problems with service on the A380 are completely down to the inexperience of the crew involved. Fact.

Contrast the actions of management at Singapore Airlines with Qantas and you'll quickly realise why QF have problems.

SQ mandate that the crew on their flagship A380 have a minimum of 5 years experience [in the category they operate in]

Not meaning any disrespect to those working on it but the truth of the matter is that QF only had one requirement.

Cheap.

twiggs
5th Apr 2009, 12:02
I have no idea if that 5 years minimum is correct ditch handle, but most of their A380 crew are as cheap as QCCA, so they have the luxury of being able to choose experienced and cheap.

ditch handle
5th Apr 2009, 12:15
Did a London trip not so long ago with a FA that has a family member who is cabin crew for SQ.

They caught up for dinner in Singapore and this info came from the horses mouth.

Qantas had the opportunity to operate the A380 with experienced crew or at least a meaningful foundation of career FAs who could pass on experience, skills and culture to the new hires.

Management already had QCCA and yet, in typical QF fashion they were greedy and had to have everything.

I sleep well at night knowing that this decision is biting them on the arse.

ditch handle
5th Apr 2009, 12:39
Of course QCCA and the terms and conditions QF offered to existing QAL crew going to the A380 were negotiated long before there were signs of an economic down turn.

Good loads and high satisfaction eh?? Really?

I guess it must all be good then and the comments made to me by passengers who've flown on it must all be fabrications.......

jungle juice
5th Apr 2009, 22:54
A_B_P,Let's be realistic here.The loads on the A380 have nothing to do with the crew as they are all about everyone wanting to fly on the latest,biggest & shiniest aircraft.

With all the extra crew you would want and expect to see good feedback but that is not always the case and the excessive meal service times have something to do with that.

I wonder if SIA and EK are having the same problems?

By the way the company has always used the cheapest option with crew and that ha happened years before this economic downturn.Even if this latest mess not happened the company would still use the cheapest crew no matter how little experience they had.

If they can get even cheaper crew or anything else they will again at some point in the future regardless of the economic situation.

it's good to see your enthusiasm and optimism but when you've been flying with us for 20 or more years I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say.

puff
7th Apr 2009, 02:32
As a matter of interest had a good chat to some of the SQ FAs on a A380 trip to LHR lastyear. At SQ all the crew that fly on the A380 and the A340-500 trips are 'selected' to do it and have no choice in bidding. Once they get put on either thats all they do. They were enjoying the A380 but were not loving the work - back then it was only SYD,NRT and LHR. I thought the service was excellent but in the galley the FA said that they were all still feeling their way with the service etc - they were all very happy when I pointed out from a pax point of view you certainly couldn't tell.

I was explaining to her how QF worked with different wages/bases etc and most of them were not aware of it and were quite suprised. SQ is all SIN based, all on same wages - and contrary to some rumours did not share hotel rooms. They are on about $45k SIN bucks - not huge but certainly not 'slave' wages that some seem to think they are on, especially these days getting to be fairly similar to QCCA etc. Sure they burn through them and they are mostly all young - but tell me thats not the intention of australian carriers now with the wages and conditions on offer here too ! Difference seems to be that whilst they are there they have the meet the high standard or they are gone.

One thing that SQ beats QF on is 'consistancy' to FA conduct, whilst you can get a fantastic flight on QF you can get some crap ones as well - yet to have anything on SQ that wasn't short of excellent. The FAs aren't gushy or all over you, but deliver the services quickly effeciently and with no fuss.

argus.moon
7th Apr 2009, 04:25
Your point is......?
This word "consistency" gets bandied around a lot but what does it mean?
Is it robotic service?Is it clones all looking the same,all smiling the same?
All providing the same food?.
When travelling I dont care about much except on time departure,cabin temperature,when the lights are switched off and whether or not the passenger sitting next to me is a blabbermouth or smells.The rest I can put up with.Consistency is portable....I bring it with me
The crew dont design the aircraft or the IFE or the seats.They are not responsible for a late departure...so why complain to them?
Its transport..pure and simple...not a 5 star restaurant or hotel.
Its cheaper to fly now than it has ever been.
I dont want much and dont expect much so I am never disappointed.
The best aircraft to fly for me if I do have a choice is the Boeing 777.
The A380 is...well...a flying barn...too big and soul less

lowerlobe
7th Apr 2009, 05:35
Thanks A380-800 driver....

So basically EK has 26 Cabin Crew compared to 22 for QF...I'm sure the shower attendants do help out in some other way and not just stand around waiting to clean the showers...

Taildragger67
7th Apr 2009, 06:05
Sorry Lobe but the shower attendants only do that. They stand at the top of the front stairs the whole time (or sit on them), can't see anything except the steep stairs and are bored as bat5hit for much of a long hop. Often only one will be on deck, the other having a kip.

They are in a different uniform to the F/As and do not do any F/A duties. They don't even re-stock the drinks in the P/C 'social area' at the top of the stairs. They just make sure the shower/loo rooms are tickety-boo after every visit by a punter. So the bog-rolls are always perfect, the showers dried, the amenities re-stocked and presented, etc. after every punter visit or turbulence event.

argus.moon
7th Apr 2009, 06:06
Aren't all the EK 380s grounded?
Something to do with a fuel system design problem?
You are sure to correct me if I'm wrong

Wizofoz
7th Apr 2009, 06:27
Aren't all the EK 380s grounded?
Something to do with a fuel system design problem?
You are sure to correct me if I'm wrong

You are wrong.

lowerlobe
7th Apr 2009, 06:33
Thanks for that Taildragger...
Can you imagine QF putting 2 people on board with nothing to do except that....

If it was QF they would have a beeper and be doing a bar service and a hot chocolate service ..with a busy sign on the showers until they could get back...

By the way do EK cabin crew share rooms?

Orangputi
7th Apr 2009, 07:36
Puff,

Surely you are not serious, there is an old joke about Qantas or BA attendants, at least you get more 'Boilers' in the cabin and that sums it up. If you are comparing QF service to SQ you are sadly mistaken, there is no comparison, SQ economy is better than QF business class!

QF have no idea about service, they used when they were a real airline but not now they are crap on par with the likes of Ryan Air etc.

puff
7th Apr 2009, 10:16
argus - simply bringing up some points re the A380 with someone other than QF.

And you ask about consistancy - consistancy was one word that was bought up about why McDonalds is so successful - sure it's crap food but you know what your going to get in Bondi or Paris. Thats exactly why SQ is successful, not because it's like McDonalds, but they always offer the same 'standard'. QF is like a corner fish shop - could be an excellent experience or you could end up with food poisioning!

I agree - flying is cheap and to be honest I don't care that much about who or where I travel with - as long as it gets me where it says on the ticket - BUT these days the passengers(us) have a BIG choice of airlines and service standards - if 2 airlines have the same airfare who are you going to go with - the one with the better reputation!

As for the other - A380 IMHO pisses over the 777 to ride on - to me there is nothing that amazing about the 777 over a 767 or a 747. A380 is just so much quieter it's out of this world compared to anything made by Boeing.

Orangputi - I guess I was trying not to trash QF too badly because I know some FAs at QF that are some of the better ones!

twiggs
7th Apr 2009, 11:11
. If you are comparing QF service to SQ you are sadly mistaken, there is no comparison, SQ economy is better than QF business class!

That is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever seen posted.
Obviously you have a kebaya fetish.
(not that there is anything wrong with that):ok:

Eastwest Loco
7th Apr 2009, 13:12
I was lucky enough to travel with 150 others (mostly in J and W class) SYD AKL SYD on Oscar Quebec Alpha (Miss Nancy) on QFs first ever International passenger flight. No - it was NOT the MEL LAX flight - it was QF6601 on 09OCT!

The flight and crew were remarkable, but we were the test bed.

All was great on the outbound, but I was in 25K at the rear of the upper deck on the return and premium Y just behind me were through a full meal service before they got back to where I was.

That in itself was not a problem, but the temperature of the meal was. It was nice, and edible but they had a load of us freeloaders onboard for just that reason - to look for constructive criticism. We would have been the least critical load they had ever flown, but we were there to help them and tried to. It all comes down to our premium passengers experience ande they were more than receptive.

Overall, the crew right to the tech guys including the skipper who came back to chat and the cabin crew who were so proud of their aeroplane they could burst were a leap back to the introduction of the 727 and the DC9. Totally refreshing.

The aeroplane is wonderful-so quiet, and unsticks like it is no effort at all. I love the 744, DC10 and 767 but I brought my 2nd A380 QF model home and she sits in front of the wine rack next to my 300ZX model. They have a lot in common.

Go you good A380 crew guys and girls. You are the A team. They love their big ladies and it shows. There is hope for the industry.

If you are travelling J class and want to know where to be allocated, call the Loco Bloko. If you didn't book through me I might even check what is left in the better parts of the cabin for you - after trying to pirate your corporate business!!:E:E

If you booked through Blight Centre, the hard thing will be getting the spotty Uni Student to figure out how to get into the seat plan.:= Serves you right!

Best all

EWL

Angle of Attack
7th Apr 2009, 13:59
No Disrespect but this is a pilots forum not a cabin crew forum,

If you are comparing QF service to SQ you are sadly mistaken, there is no comparison, SQ economy is better than QF business class!

OK no worries lets remember SQ is the first airline to have major fatalities on a 744 ever compared to any other airline. EVER!!!(Due to crew error) Its all about perspective! hehe

cart_elevator
7th Apr 2009, 14:28
Angle, you are a weirdo !

As for those who are 'proud' to work on the A380 --> are you proud to be on such crap conditions? I flew with a QCCA yesterday who was quite up front in telling me that "we will out number you in the next EBA, you will lose it all"
I suggested that the QCCA should try and better their conditions in the next EBA, rather than try and take things off others.I just got a nasty glare in response.
Management have got what they wanted --> they got cheap labour,and now there is no service,the same QCCA told me "I dont get paid enough to do water runs".
Thanks to our management for hiring such a disengaged,f*cked up new workforce.I personally cant wait till they all go to the A380.I would happily go back to doing nothing but Jobergs,if it means not flying with QCCA trash again.

jungle juice
7th Apr 2009, 21:08
Originally posted by Angle of attackNo Disrespect but this is a pilots forum not a cabin crew forum,
The old broken record syndrome again.
No disrespect Angle of Attack but you seem to have problems with your eyesight,I hope you're not really a pilot.
An independent family of forums covering all aspects of the Australian/NZ aviation scene.
The flight deck is but one part of aviation not the be all and end all.
If you don't want to read any threads about cabin crew then don't open them.There are many threads pertaining to pilots to keep you busy.

Shazz-zaam
7th Apr 2009, 22:50
This was originally posted on the Cabin Crew section, the Moderators moved it here.
Dear Moderators put it back on the Crew Crew area please.

lowerlobe
8th Apr 2009, 00:08
Shazz-zaam....

I agree with JJ in that we are entitled to be in the D & G zone because we are part of aviation in Australia....

This thread is about crew working on the 380 but that means the pilots as well can talk about what it's like and how it is different to other aircraft in the fleet....

FoxtrotAlpha18
8th Apr 2009, 00:18
The upstairs bar is a huge hit with the business/first class pax.

I hear the crew hate it though as it blocks access to the upstairs rear galley and makes getting trolleys etc through a nightmare when the bar is busy.

kotoyebe
8th Apr 2009, 02:28
I am happy to be employed in the current economic climate. I didn't vote these conditions in, they were presented to me when I gained employment. I accepted them knowing full well that the next EBA that comes up I will do what I can to improve those conditions.

So how exactly are you going to improve your conditions, when in a few years, AJ starts QCCA (version b), and drops the starting wage to say $25k because of economic circumstances, doom gloom etc? I'm sure you get know what I mean.

If you think they won't have a queue up Bourke Rd outside QCC with wannabes like you were, wanting to work for Qantas as a glamorous international flight attendant for that money, then think again.

Also think again if you think that airline management in Australia has found the bottom. They are a long way from it. Good luck with trying to improve you conditions.

lowerlobe
8th Apr 2009, 03:27
If you think they won't have a queue up Bourke Rd outside QCC with wannabes like you were, wanting to work for Qantas as a glamorous international flight attendant for that money, then think again.
Sad but unfortunately true...as there seems to be no end to the number of people who apply for a job before checking the pay and conditions.
I didn't vote these conditions in, they were presented to me when I gained employment.
A_B_P....Did you ask what the pay and conditions were like during the interviews....?

if so why then did you continue with the process especially as you have said that you are not a newbie and have flown for other airlines and should have some inkling of what you would need to do the job...?

Shazz-zaam
8th Apr 2009, 04:41
Talk about thread drift, here we go again. QAL verses QCCA.

The topic is about the A380, let's stick to it as it was interesting.
If you keep the bitch session up the Moderators will lock this thread.

Cheers.

jungle juice
8th Apr 2009, 06:46
I don't think this is a bitch session because we are talking about QAL and QCC crew.The A 380 is crewed mainly by the new crew and as such you would expect the differences in pay and conditions to come up.

To suggest that the company would try and get cheaper crew again to crew new aircraft like the A 380 is something to discuss and that doesn't mean we're bitching about it.

Shazz-zaam,First of all you wanted the moderators to move this thread now you're trying to get the attention of the moderators to close it down.I wonder what your motives are?

Shazz-zaam
8th Apr 2009, 10:00
Jungle Juice,
My only agenda is to keep this thread open as I'm interested in the A380.
Everytime a thread becomes a bitchfest the Moderators shut it down, I don't want that to happen. As to moving the thread, it was originally in the cabin crew forum where it was doing fine. We should ask why did the Moderators moved it?
Have you read the lastest newsletter from the FAAA, titled "A380,without the spin" Qantas will shortly advertised for more QAL to transfer from 747-400 to A380.
This thread so far has been very informative as I don't get any opportunity to talk to crew on the A380, It's giving me a little insight which may help me decide if it is worthwhile transferring.

roamingwolf
8th Apr 2009, 10:40
Have you read the lastest newsletter from the FAAA, titled "A380,without the spin"

Qantas will shortly advertised for more QAL to transfer from 747-400 to A380.

This thread so far has been very informative as I don't get any opportunity to talk to crew on the A380,

It's giving me a little insight which may help me decide if it is worthwhile transferring.
Mate,after years of flying and hearing spin from the office and the union on daily basis it sounds like more of the same from you.ditch handle put it right on the table.
Can you give us a few good reasons why anyone would bother.

ditch handle
8th Apr 2009, 10:48
I forgot........

No choice of work position? Check

L5Brassco
8th Apr 2009, 12:22
Isn't there an agreement that QAL crew on the A380 actually get paid for the extra hours they work above the longhaul divisor?
If so the money for QAL crew would be attractive.
One downside would be the restricted destinations for Aust based A380 crew (SIN, HKG, BKK and LAX) once the LHR base are trained.

ditch handle
8th Apr 2009, 12:45
Mmmm......

"Top up pay" is the euphemism used I believe.

An increase in pay above and beyond the basic that "might" get you in the ball park of what you were earning before joining lislie's brave new world.

How many more hours a roster do you work to end up, "maybe", where you were........?

On the plus side "apparently" if you are single and unattached it's a desirable place to work?

Read into that what you will.

A wise person would speak at length to some of the QAL's who made the move before signing on the dotted line.

Avoid discussions however with those who are emotionally attached to the venture............

Sistema
8th Apr 2009, 15:52
Similar situation was told to us ex-AO crew before the s/haul transfer. We are paid an annual top up so we would be earning the same.. apparently.

IT WAS RUBBISH.

And to earn close to the same at s/h you need to work your ring off!

Be very cautious of the top up pay situation..

lowerlobe
8th Apr 2009, 20:46
QAL at first discouraged and now encouraged to hop across by the FAAA....interesting change in the dynamics.
Very interesting and curious change indeed........

A very good and from the looks of it unbiased post by u5mj....

ditch handle
8th Apr 2009, 21:37
Thanks for the insightful and intelligent post u5mj.

Shazz-zaam
9th Apr 2009, 00:07
u5mj,
that was one of the best post that I've read, intelligent and well balanced.

As you pointed out, "FAAA ....interesting change in the dynamics. "

The million dollar question is why? Why was the FAAA so quick to agree to taking a crew member off the 4 class? It's getting difficult to tell the difference between the FAAA and QF management.

Ditch handle, all your points about the conditions on the A380 are valid. I agree with you. It is a no brainer. Balancing up everything transferring to the A380 it's just not worth it. I don't know what I was thinking even considering it.

On a personal level I just get a little despondant working on the older aircraft, 767, 747-438 they look tired and it's embarrassing when the IFE constantly breaks down and the passengers take it out on you. I'm not just talking about one or two, I'm talking about whole zones, 50-100 at a time, sometimes the whole plane. You contact maintenance watch, reboot and still zip. After several years of this it's really starting to piss me off. In the FAAA newsletter, Steven Reed states that the company is not going to replace the IFE :ugh: but they spend 10 million dollars on Borghetti's centre of excrement

My point is that it would have been nice to work on something shiney and new.
I hear that the IFE on the A380 works very well, can anyone confirm this?

twiggs
9th Apr 2009, 00:42
QAL at first discouraged and now encouraged to hop across by the FAAA....interesting change in the dynamics.

In what way were QAL crew discouraged from going to the A380 by the FAAA?
I don't think that is very accurate.

If they can negotiate an extension to the time limit for right of return to QAL, then I think more people will consider the A380, especially when direct LAX trips start to dry up.

lowerlobe
9th Apr 2009, 02:13
Interesting that 3 of us responded to u5mj's post and only one of us questioned it.....
Posted by TwiggsI don't think that is very accurate.
It's getting difficult to tell the difference between the FAAA and QF management.
Shazz-zaam....It's been that way for a while now....

twiggs
9th Apr 2009, 07:00
that was negotiated and voted upon in EBA8 and it got over the line. 80 v 20% - if that is not a more than subtle discouraging hint then what is?
With respect, I think you will find that the company were never going to allow more than 20% QAL in the startup.
It had nothing to do with the wishes of the membership or the union, and I doubt they have actually achieved that figure.
So my point is that the FAAA never discouraged transfers to A380, but the company, well that's a different story.

As far as people transferring to follow the LAX's, as I already said, no-one will do so past aircraft number 4 if the limit is not extended.

lowerlobe
9th Apr 2009, 07:03
The info I saw from the FAAA was hardly an endorsement to transfer over to the A-380 but I did like the bit about the union wanting all OBM's to be sourced from QAL......and is the rumour true that at least 1 or 2 union officials went to the A-380 as OBM's...
I think you will find that the company were never going to allow more than 20% QAL in the startup.
Some people would have a better idea of that than others.....

PattyStacker
9th Apr 2009, 09:35
Good. Then the company is on the way to actually being a Premium airline

ditch handle
9th Apr 2009, 11:40
Yes. Well said Jungle Juice.

I note with interest discussion around the potential loss of four 744s this year.

This loss together with our already reduced international flying capacity has the potential to create an enormous number of surplus crew in the QAL ranks.

How will this potential surplus be managed given the need to crew our newly arriving A380s against the unwillingness of QAL crew to voluntarily go anywhere near it??

Now that work choices is dead and buried along [metaphorically] with the fascist who created it, Qantas isn't in a position to use "operational reasons" to do what ever it wants.

Which BTW would have most certainly been to make redundant QAL at the same time as hiring en mass for QCCA..........

jungle juice
9th Apr 2009, 12:29
ditch handle,
I agree and it's going to be a very interesting year ahead unless this economic crisis sorts itself out soon.If they get rid of the oldest or 'infamous' aircraft then there is less for us to work on.

The union might be able to get a better deal with the company to work on the 380 so more crew find it worthwhile.

This might sort itself out sooner than we all think and then the company will be scrambling to get more aircraft.
It's happened before

tail wheel
9th Apr 2009, 21:41
:= := := := :=

rammel
9th Apr 2009, 22:27
In regard to losing 4 B744's this year, aren't we also meant to be getting 3 or 4 A380's this year. So if this is the case, then the fleet will stay about the same size. It may also mean they then need more people to crew the A380, so the conditions may change to make this attractrive for more staff to jump on board. I'm not a F/A so don't know the in's and out's of your contract.

ditch handle
9th Apr 2009, 22:31
Rammel,

yes. I for one would like to see QF's hand forced.......

But then again doesn't anyone really want to work under John E@ K@&%y :}:}:}:}:}

ditch handle
9th Apr 2009, 23:31
The point being of course is that QF need QAL on the A380.

Quite simple. Stay away and force their hand.

twiggs
9th Apr 2009, 23:42
There are enough QCCA crew in 747 land still to move them over to A380. Which should make the QAL crew happy as they can keep their flying and won't have to come across.

If most QCCA crew are transferred to A380, then the most junior QAL will follow, because they will end up doing back to back JNB again just as it was before QCCA was born.

ditch handle
9th Apr 2009, 23:55
"Management" are certainly hoping that'll be the case, eh Twiggs.

But does anyone really want to work under John E K?:{:}:ugh:

PattyStacker
10th Apr 2009, 00:22
Ditch Handle I have to agree with you. He's a nightmare.

ditch handle
10th Apr 2009, 00:36
.......and one of the chosen ones. :ugh:

packrat
10th Apr 2009, 01:31
The A330 is my home.
Its a away from all this nonsense and bickering.
Fewer passengers,fewer crew,fewer problems
North south flying and very little jet lag.
Always a shock when on Reserve to find so much crap going on.
Mr.J.Elk should never have made into QF.Now he is a CSM.Illustrates just how flawed the promotional process is.
Women interviewing J.Elk.....he is so qute......vomit...more like a sociopath

ditch handle
10th Apr 2009, 02:14
Quote- "more like a sociopath"

It's human nature to be drawn towards and view favourably, like minded character traits in others.

Who does the CSM interviewing again????

I've got it on extremely good authority that AW has been overheard gushing to J El K-

"oh John......... if only all our CSMs could be like you"

:eek:

twiggs
10th Apr 2009, 05:46
Any one else hear the rumour about the A380 CSM who instructed her paxing crew that while sitting in J/C they were not to consume any alcohol or wear any pyjamas, and then went ahead and did both of the above with the CSS in P/C?

stubby jumbo
10th Apr 2009, 06:23
so whats the problem with this twiggs????

This is exactly text book Qantas management behaviour from the Mien Darth manual. That is, treat all subordinates with contempt and and follow the credo:

DO WHAT I SAY .....NOT DO WHAT I DO !!.

This worked a treat for Darth and his team . Now look at the debris that has been left in his wake-

.......a totally demoralised,jacked off,bunch of once loyal staff.

This CSM will please Miss Piggy

AJ has a real job on his hands trying to turn this ship around.

The course has been set, icebergs have been hit, we're taking on water , people are abandoning ship, the SS Rat is listing.

Will there be survivors???

twiggs
10th Apr 2009, 07:48
so whats the problem with this twiggs????

Um, that they got busted?:E

lowerlobe
10th Apr 2009, 10:22
Twiggs...what exactly is the problem with drinking alcohol while paxing?

Apart from what Stubby said.....

[QUOTEDO WHAT I SAY .....NOT DO WHAT I DO !!.[/QUOTE]

Transition Layer
10th Apr 2009, 21:44
And wouldn't wearing pyjamas help the paxing crew blend in with the rest of the punters? A group of 20 crew sitting in Business, in business attire, not drinking, without PJs would stand out like dog's balls!

What would each set of PJs be worth? $5?

ditch handle
10th Apr 2009, 21:54
TL,

you appear to be looking for common sense where it clearly doesn't exist.

lowerlobe
11th Apr 2009, 03:20
you appear to be looking for common sense where it clearly doesn't exist.
The main problem is that there has always been the attitude that you are doing something wrong if your staff are happy....

Having a drink when paxing...god forbid....laughing when in QCC1 and note how many managers look at you as if you are some sort of criminal...make sure your pin kangaroo is at the right angle.....clause 11 if not.....

twiggs..I noticed you didn't answer my last question so I'll rephrase it...is it a problem that they got busted or is it a problem because they had a drink when paxing...(apart from the fact of acting like a goose and telling your crew not to...)

The office has always had a history of picking people for the job who are as well liked as a sore thumb and who have had a complete charisma bypass.

Animalclub
11th Apr 2009, 06:17
Crew drinking while paxing isn't a problem... it's their behaviour that is.

Running to the galley every five minutes to have a chat which delays the service.

Discussing in a loud voice how they can get more time off... or how they hate their job and/or colleagues... or other ways in which they can screw the company, and not just for money.

Serving Cabin Crew devoting more time to paxing crew than paying pax.

One time I travelled, at full fare and at my own expense, QF SYDLAX P class (not my choice - my NZ flight was u/s thus I was transferred) the behaviour of the the three paxing crew was out of line. No they didn't dance naked in the isles or get drunk but I'm sure that everyone in the forward cabin certainly knew that they were not happy with their employer, QANTAS.

This does not happen on just QF but a good many airlines.

I will await the incomming.
Age and cunning will overcome youth and enthusiasm

GalleyHag
11th Apr 2009, 13:08
My news years resolution was to take no ****e from anyone.

So far so good I treat all crew with the respect they deserve. If they want to wear jeans in J calss I could give a rats. These petty PJ bull crap discussions do my head in.

If I am paid $ex dollars per year to give some sorry d@ck a napkin I will do it. If I have to attend some a** licking session at the centre of excellence (eg tax write off) I will do it.

My point, I will take no crap from crew, pilots or pax's call it a bad attitude if you like but I go to work everyday with a smaile on my face and give the service I am paid to give if anyone EVER said to me not to have a drink while paxing or wear PJ, or have a smoke, or buy duty free or walk all in a line I would soon tell them wear they can stick there BPR.

I would luv to come across some of the 380 CSM's you refer to with my NEW and IMPROVED attitude I would have no hesitation in putting them in their place where they belong.

Rant Over!!

twiggs
11th Apr 2009, 13:30
It's not just the A380.
How about the crew member waiting in the lobby listening to their ipod before pickup that was asked by the CSM to remove the headphones as it was not part of the uniform!

ozangel
11th Apr 2009, 15:13
a few years back, on the travellator in SIN having just arrived, with a truly loveable BNE s/h CSM.

In the other direction, slouching on the travellator rail, ipod plugged in and audible from 3m away, chewing gum, jacket unbuttoned, hair a mess, was a crew member who was to take our aircraft, her CSM about 10secs behind her who could care less when the issue was mentioned.

Will never forget it.

That said, have flown SQ many times, and find (really!) that the only passengers that rave about them are usually perverts or bogans.

Don't lose sight of the reason passengers love Qantas - rarely will you find crew more down to earth and genuine - you know if they having a bad day or a good day, but generally they are good humoured, direct, relaxed, open books. Sure that means every now and then theres a whinge or a moan, or a bottle of bubbly snuck over to a pax in a Duty Free bag as a modest way of saying 'congrats', 'good luck', 'thanks for the chat' or even 'room 4123'... QF has never been robotic, it hopefully never will be.

One day I hope your managers will realise that their best asset is you, and the fact you are human, and even with a good humoured grumble are able to engage your customer to a much greater degree than any SQ fembot.

GalleyHag
11th Apr 2009, 16:18
You know what that crew member with the ipod and unbuttoned jacket prob had an excel pin you know why because they dont give a rats about what other crew think just commercial pax who appreciate the attention or lack there of because I and every other crew member is in this job to keep commercial pax's happy as larry.

That doesnt mean I wouldnt give the highest quality of service to paxing crew because I would but if my crew duck off for a quick fag or coffee before getting on board so be it. This rule with an iron fist attitude is long gone LG and AW need to realise its not about them, KPI'S and crew its about Pax's and frankly if they get off happy and choose to fly with QF again my crew could walk through sin smoking fags, swigging on a bottle of gin and have their shirts off for all care.

My priority is the commercial pax that pay thousands of dollars to fly with us every day get off the aircrarft happy and as AW would know my crew always receive positive feedback because apron or no apron pax dont give a ****e.

My goal and what I reinforce to my crew is that the commercial pax gets off and wants to fly with QF again. I could care less if that effects the bonus payment of LG or AW and this crap about the 380 is laughable.

Every pax I have had on a flight from SIN has nothing but praise for the airacrft and crew therefore the QAL and QCCA crew crew are clearly doing their job. It just seems like there are a few A** licking on board managers who choose to throw their significant weight around.

If I had the opportunity I would be on the A380 tomorrow, bidding, money and lifestyle mean f**k all to me I would just like the opprotunity. Sadly that is not available to people like me because long haul crew who have no intention of ever flying on this aircraft will ensure short haul (DOMESTIC) crew will never get that opportunity. Good on the QCCA crew they are good crew and from all accounts the elite crew of the long haul crew. That is the reality.

I never thought in a million years that I would have that attitude but QCCA
A380 ****e all over QAL crew and thats a sad fact. Take or leave it they way you want but recently I have experienced both and QCCA leave QAL for dead in terms of attitude and service.

stubby jumbo
11th Apr 2009, 23:03
Whoa there GalleyHag.:eek:

Put down the bottle of Gin ......have a good lie down...........wake up ......go for a swim in the ocean.......take a deep breath ........then re read your last post.

Sure, no problem with expressing your opinion. However, I lost count of the number of times you have contradicted yourself.

Happy Easter

twiggs
11th Apr 2009, 23:35
If I had the opportunity I would be on the A380 tomorrow, bidding, money and lifestyle mean f**k all to me I would just like the opprotunity. Sadly that is not available to people like me because long haul crew who have no intention of ever flying on this aircraft will ensure short haul (DOMESTIC) crew will never get that opportunity. Good on the QCCA crew they are good crew and from all accounts the elite crew of the long haul crew. That is the reality.

I never thought in a million years that I would have that attitude but QCCA
A380 ****e all over QAL crew and thats a sad fact. Take or leave it they way you want but recently I have experienced both and QCCA leave QAL for dead in terms of attitude and service.

So you've experienced both?
How would that be, paxing on an A380 or on holidays?
So few sectors to base such a harsh judgment on.
A bit different to working regularly with QCCA crew I think, A380 or not.

As far as you not having the opportunity to fly A380.
Hey, don't forget you are DOMESTIC crew.
What part of flying to LAX is domestic?
If you like international so much, don't take it out on us that you didn't put your name on the transfer list long ago, and now you find yourself stuck in domestic where you only get a sniff of international flying now and again.

OCCR
12th Apr 2009, 00:16
geez Galley hag..............whats happened to you:uhoh:

I actually agree with Twiggs ( for once) well written

Galley Hag what have the domestics being doing to your head! you poor thing as your posts were always "well rounded":{

indamiddle
12th Apr 2009, 06:05
is it true that the third destination for the A380 is jo'burg? if so then the junior QAL will not be doing them for long, QCCA back to collecting rand. as to QAL refusing to transfer over to the A380 in any reasonable numbers, this will not put any pressure on the bosses. they can use london base crew, AKL, BKK. not that i care one way or the other. the A380 is just another aircraft full of warm and smelly bodies

Pegasus747
12th Apr 2009, 06:15
i wonder how crew would feel about perhaps staying on a game park instead of the city in Africa. that is one of things being done by some middle eastern carriers to make the destinations more popular.

feed back from some Etihad crew is that it made JNb one of the most popular destinations...just a thought

and JNB is not A380 ready and there are no plans for it to fly there at the moment. For god's sake the place is barely 747 ready :)

twiggs
12th Apr 2009, 06:33
i wonder how crew would feel about perhaps staying on a game park instead of the city in Africa. that is one of things being done by some middle eastern carriers to make the destinations more popular.

feed back from some Etihad crew is that it made JNb one of the most popular destinations...just a thought

Might make taking a wander outside your room slightly safer than downtown Sandton! ;)
Seriously though, the location of accomodation is one of the problems in JNB, and moving anywhere that removes us from the danger plus puts us somewhere that is near to some form of recreation would be a good thing.

OCCR
12th Apr 2009, 07:29
just read the latest newsletter from the FAAA...... its hard to fathom that they have to write such a letter, I find it difficult to believe that crew are whining about being forced on to LSL and annual leave:ugh:

At least we have a job!

And if those people that are on LSL,they are being paid for goodness sake,
I wish the FAAA would simply hang up on those whiners, honestly what planet are they on!

ditch handle
12th Apr 2009, 07:43
Yes.

Despite the fact that our colleagues travel the world and have the opportunity to see, read [ :}] and hear first hand how this economic crisis is unfolding many still appear to be completely oblivious to what's happening around them.

Blind, self absorbed ignorance.

Does my farrrrrrking head in.:ugh:

OCCR
12th Apr 2009, 07:47
yes ditch handle you are quite correct.... its astounding that these people exist.
I have come across a few of them and I certainly don't hold back when they start to whine about being forced onto LSL
Its tough out there and they are complaining about being paid to go on holiday and on top of that QF will even give them a free LSL airline ticket anywhere in the world..........
Some of them say they are broke....well tough luck they should have been wiser with their money.......

the rim
12th Apr 2009, 08:06
i have to agree with ozangel.....having flowen with the red rat for more than 3 decades some are not the best to look at but if they are in a good mood its great .....now let me get to galleyhags rant if she [i am thinking its a she and if not he should be]dont get me wrong i think the best of our alternate staff members service ...now back on track....of all the other airline's i have travelled on thru the years i always fell the best when back on a qf aircraft ...not only because of the safety but because of the crew bantor .....you cannot get that on SQ or MAS even if they have the most lovely girls[and boys..so i am not marked one sided].....suck it in and get on with your jobs ,if you are serving pax's well do it if you are flying them do it and if we are fixing em lets do it and bring back the QF we all loved

hbomb
12th Apr 2009, 08:19
Well, if anyone is interested in what pax think....here are my impressions after two flights on the QF 380 in J class and about six on SQ's.

The flat seat is an improvement but for me only marginal. I have no trouble sleeping on the inclined version. The much greater pitch is great but still not sufficient to avoid the step-over problem completely. SQ's solution is superior in this respect. But some people don't like having to flip the seat on SQ to access the bed and some don't like sleeping diagonally across the space. I am happy with both and enjoy the additional privacy.

The IFE is substantially better than the notorious Rockwell-Collins (better screen, sharper image, more selections) but ominously, the whole aircraft had to be re-booted on my last flight and then individual screens were re-set for the rest of the flight.

The crew are certainly different from other longhaul QF staff I encounter (roughly every month for the last 15 years). On average they are more enthusiastic, smile more often and generally engage with pax more than the veterans. (Please note I am not complaining about the latter; on the whole I am a satisfied customer and acknowledge that performance varies. Not so much on SQ though.) I don't know whether it's the aircraft or the organisation but service takes ages on the 380. On both occasions it has taken almost an hour from departure for me to get a drink (not wonderful when departure was delayed for two hours after boarding on the last flight). I sit towards the back of the J class compartment but still....

The worst feature of the J class experience on the 380 is the fact that the four toilets are clustered around the galley. This reduces the effective ratio of toilets to pax because some are just not accessible at times. While anything is going on in the galley, the left and right toilets are isolated from each other. At some times, the forward toilets are not accessible except to the first few rows so most of the pax are restricted to one or another of the rear toilets. Four toilets for 72 pax might sound similar to the proportions for the 747 but believe me that is not how it feels.

And then there is the interminable delay in getting off in Sydney. Sigh.

It pains me to say it but I think SQ have done it better.

Pegasus747
12th Apr 2009, 08:58
i have to say i agree,

as with all things that Qantas do, cabin layout in JC is a disaster. Toilets and galleys in completely the wrong place.

but then what do i know ... i am only a flight attendant

twiggs
12th Apr 2009, 10:06
Another feature of the A380 IFE is the ability to watch the airshow and the view from the tail mounted camera during taxi, takeoff and landing, except if you are sitting in J/C because your monitor has to be stowed for taxi, take off and landing. Doh!

Pegasus747
12th Apr 2009, 10:18
actually twiggs my understanding is that JC and WC are the two classes where it cannot be viewed

it can be viewed in PC and YC and nowhere else

seems a bit silly coz it would be great to watch the landing and take off

call button
13th Apr 2009, 07:13
Rumour has it that Qantas will make a big announcement tomorrow regarding further reductions in flying, and 'parking' of aircraft. This will have another huge impact on QF cabin crew 'surpluses' for both shorthaul and longhaul. Worrying times ahead for crew!!!

stubby jumbo
13th Apr 2009, 07:34
.......not just crew call button BUT for everyone at QF.

Word is....that this economic "episode" is far worse than SARS.

Those of us who were around then .......would remember that the WHOLE of the airline was affected.

Me thinks those people who were punted over the last few weeks will be just the beginning.

Assume BRACE positions:eek:

Shazz-zaam
13th Apr 2009, 07:49
You mean bend over and touch your toes for the company again.
Do I get to have a cigarette afterwards?:}

stubby jumbo
13th Apr 2009, 08:48
.......only if its a happy ending Shazza:cool:

pjwy
20th Apr 2009, 00:04
Is the 4th A380 still coming?
If so, is that the end of the right of return or will they extend it.
Are they going to be asking for any CSM or CSS to transfer to the A380 before the deadline.

indamiddle
21st Apr 2009, 01:09
yep, can't just pull it out of the production line and park it to the side.
i did try to find the delivery schedule web site that was posted elsewhere, no luck.
maybe some out there could post it here for us. (the airbus website was bloody useless)

Pegasus747
21st Apr 2009, 02:27
A further 3 A380 will be delivered to Qantas this year (2009)

The four for 2010 have been deferred.

Qantas will be calling for applications for CSM/CSS/BFA/AC from QAL/QCCA International crew later this week. Up to Aircraft 4 (ie the next to arrive) the CSM/CSS positions will come from existing crew. After that it is open to merit selection where existing CSM/CSS will be competing with A380 crew and 747 crew for the positions.

I suspect however that given the WFC that the company will try to manage the excess CSM/CSS by extending the direct transfer subject to the number that apply

Short_Circuit
25th Apr 2009, 04:32
Talking of the A380, who was the fool that put the "Slow cooked PORK" (pork and baked beans) on the menu!!!!! :=
On an aeroplane!!!!
That was an explosive experience for the next 3 hours. :O

He needs to go. :cool:

twiggs
25th Apr 2009, 07:51
I think our customers have had enough of Neil too.

lowerlobe
25th Apr 2009, 08:25
It's not only the food but the equipment crew have to use as well....I hope the A-380 is an improvement just as the 747 was an improvement over the 707....... as it should be..

GalleyHag
2nd May 2009, 14:24
A lot of back door under cutting deals on the table from guess who!! The sonner the two unions join the better (keeping the long haul union) and ridding domestic of the self serving no clue crew that currently run the show.

cielazur
6th May 2009, 23:53
Hmmm... any updates as to possible OBM recruitment drives in the near future for the A380?

superwoman1989
11th May 2009, 00:52
Am thinking of taking up the 2 yr fixed term offer from S/Haul to the A380.

I know that there is no bidding/seniority but is it possible to request the same roster as a friend
i.e buddy bidding.

Also how many trips per roster period?
Slip times etc

Thanks for any info
Greatly appreciated:ok:

Pegasus747
11th May 2009, 03:13
i suggest that anyone interested in A380 goes to the work shops where you will be able to see pay slips and rosters of crew currently working on it from all ranks.

You will be able to talk to crew currently working on it and have all your questions answered. A380 is not for everyone, if control over your life is important ie you need seniority then A380 is not for you.

You would need to be fairly flexible and build your life around your roster rathet than the other way around.

if you are thinking of commuting i would outright say forget it

cielazur
5th Aug 2009, 09:11
Any news on whether we are getting more A380s this year? Heard they've been stopped that's why crew are being offered temporary part time?

skybed
5th Aug 2009, 23:15
confirm the romors that the A180 is coming of the Syd-lax run and will do daly Syd-Lhr flights?:eek:

capt.cynical
6th Aug 2009, 00:38
SB. Age 29, literacy and spelling skills of a 6 year old !!:ugh:

roamingwolf
6th Aug 2009, 00:56
Gee there's some people here that sound very confident they know all the answers.
It sounds like I'm reading the qantas news

qfguy
6th Aug 2009, 18:33
Any truth to the rumours that the A380 is heading to SFO?

hadagutfull
6th Aug 2009, 20:36
Its obvious that the A380 will eventually replace the 744 on the SYD-SIN-LHR routes... and the MEL-SIN-LHR and via HKG and the Pacific routes as more of them come on line into service........ What are we getting ?? 20 of them??

The 744 will have limited routes once enough of the pigs come into service.. so all the gossip about the 380 is probably true....

The only thing is when.... as the quality issues seem to be pushing back the delivery dates from the factory....

Pig number 4,5 and 6 have all got their issues in Hambourg and Tolouse.
:ok:

Bypass ratio
7th Aug 2009, 00:44
My bet is that Jetstar will be operating the A380 very soon. watch this space...

maui
7th Aug 2009, 06:52
Anyone know what happened to the Dugong that returned to tarmac in LAX last night (QF 96?). Something to do with centre gear I believe.
How long were they delayed, or is it still there.

Maui

airtags
8th Aug 2009, 02:30
QF94 returned to gate - error msgs with gear resolved & a/c departed LAX
Div to YSSY yesterday primarily due to duty limitations in consideration of Wx at YMML

JulieFlyGal
8th Aug 2009, 13:06
Can anyone tell me whether there is Internet on the Qantas A380 in Economy? If so, is it free?

RedTBar
8th Aug 2009, 16:22
there is Internet on the Qantas A380 in Economy? If so, is it free?
Even if it was available, the words Qantas and free are not usually used in the same page.:E
Can't see the $$$ justification for an upgrade course.
It gives the training section something to do. :oh: plus when has spending money unnecessarily been a problem with these guys?

cielazur
12th Sep 2009, 08:32
Now how would I be able to get onto that flight to Antarctica?

indamiddle
13th Sep 2009, 07:57
croydon travel, melbourne

cielazur
13th Sep 2009, 08:56
I meant, operate on it as crew :p

ditch handle
13th Sep 2009, 09:12
I suppose you bid for it?

lowerlobe
13th Sep 2009, 23:07
Ditch....

I'm guessing that that cielazur is QCCA......but I don't remember those polar flights being all that popular so a chat with your manager might do the job cielazur.

Undoubtedly,someone in the office will correct me but I would imagine that they don't have enough 380's to do them yet so they will still be 400's.

It depends what aircraft you operate on cielazur...

ditch handle
14th Sep 2009, 00:23
Yes you are right Lowerlobe.

Did one once myself and vowed never to "volunteer" do so again.

14 odd hour tour of duty that was basically a non stop meal/drink service.

Have never been so tired in my life at the completion of that day.

stubby jumbo
14th Sep 2009, 04:49
Agree Ditch,

I had the absolute "pleasure" (sic) of doing one about 6 years back.

What a mistake ! Never again !

You have the nobs from Croydon Travel "attempting" to call the shots.......wanting crew to turn a blind eye to some of the shenanigans that passes off for "getting their moneys worth".

75% of the punters could not give a rats rissole for the view of the ice shelf.

Its all about getting as p!s--ed as humanly possible -to see in the New Year.

They had to bring in 2 Cleaning teams when the AC arrived back in MEL ....as there was spew on walls, seats, and assorted crap all over the kite.

The crew put in a Safety Report after the flight and heard "jack" back from the gnomes in the office. I won't go into detail here of the nature of the Report -but when we informed the Capt of the flight -what had happened on FINALS-he went off his rocker !

So to take the flying Croissant down there is asking for trouble.

Please don't respond by accusing crew of breaching the RSA policy as the punters smuggled booze on in LARGE QUANTITIES ( even had "goon bags" strapped to their backs.) We even had to have a crew member positioned down at Right -5 to stop pax going up to the bunks-wanting to join the mile high club:ugh::ugh:

The only way they will work is to search all pax for booze BEFORE boarding.
Hire at least 6 burley Tongan security guards and keep the seat belt sign on for long periods of time. (I hear the updrafts at minus 55 degrees south can be bad !):ok:

In 23 years of flying-that is by far the most arduous flight I have ever done and will never do one again !:ouch:

PlaneGuy013
20th Nov 2009, 23:44
It is an interesting read, to see the different unions view on each other merits in this post. I just thought I'd add a Pax's view on the merits of the various crews.

Firstly this year I have flown an equal mix of 747/A380 and equal mix of Business and Economy, and frankly my verdict is hands down - A380 cabin crew are FAR superior to the B747 crews. Hmm, it seems as though they are the cheaper crews too - so I guess QF isn't getting what they pay for.

1. Professionalism; None of the 380 crew were sitting in their seats, sending text messages during landing - even if the phone is approved for use during landing. None of the A380 crew were having shouted conversations during landing about how others in the company earn more than them (ie one Crew was sitting at the left door, the other at the right door.)

2. Customer Service - it was darn hard to get decent service with the 747 crews - even when in Business. Everything was too much trouble, like a bottle of water. The A380 staff seemed a lot happier to be there, and gave service with a smile.

3. Safety - My infant daughter is a rather well travelled girl - probably 16 flights in 8 months.The A380 were the most attentive in making sure we understood how the seatbelts work, and importantly what the brace/emergency actions were for us with our daughter. One of the 747 crews didn't even to bother to ask us if we had used the infant belt before, nor if we knew how to operate the bassinet.

This is just a few examples, but the overall experience between the 747 crews and the A380 crews clearly weighs in the A380s favour.

funbags
21st Nov 2009, 01:09
Put your flak jacket and helmet on planeguy! It's about to be incoming!

The long haul cabin crew Sydney based empire will be out in force soon.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Time to get rid of the dead wood and get the QCCA youngies in! They actually want to provide a service to the customer, and don't just see the job as a ticket to their next shopping destination. :{

No better comparison than 380 versus 747 crew, as you have so succinctly put it.

packrat
21st Nov 2009, 02:54
1.There are 22 crew on an A380.So you have 7 more crew for 60 more pax.
2.The A380 has an IFE System that works
3.The 747 crews are working with vastly inferior hard product
4.The A380 crews have not been with QF long enough to be bent over and disengaged.There are however rumblings of discontent and they are getting louder
5.Slip time in ports are generally longer for A380 crews.
6.A portion of the A380 crews(20%) are long serving 744 crews doing a 2 year stint on the dugong
If you are proud to go work on a brand new A380 with all the latest bells and whistles its bound to elevate your customer service level.
Going to work on an aging 744 or an even more ancient 767 is definitley not motivating.You are behind the 8 ball before you even open your mouth

ditch handle
21st Nov 2009, 03:00
None of the A380 crew were having shouted conversations during landing about how others in the company earn more than them (ie one Crew was sitting at the left door, the other at the right door.)

None of the 380 crew were sitting in their seats, sending text messages during landing

Brand new poster with preposterous claims, we are to assume were observed occurring in 747 land ?

Sounds like a "group" with a particular agenda to push [and cost savings to make] is starting to get somewhat desperate. :E

DEFCON4
21st Nov 2009, 03:08
Any crew member on my watch SMSing during the critical phase of landing would be stood down immediately.
In fact I would like the flight details.Departure port,date and flight number.
These allegatioins are most serious and need investigation.
PM me.
Either verify the allegations or remove them
Shouted conversations about wages would come from QCCA crew.The new and Y Generation employees

funbags
21st Nov 2009, 03:37
Gee Defcon, I wonder why the new and y generation crew would be shouting conversations about wages. Because you and your mates voted them onto a b scale in your last EBA, for the quick money grab for yourselves! Same job, less pay. Nice one! :ugh:

Time to get rid of the deadwood and start to resurrect the premium service again. This can only be done with more new crew.

DEFCON4
21st Nov 2009, 03:42
So funbags you condone that form of behaviour on landing?
Didnt you and your mates screw the 767 guys by effectively voting them a "B" scale ?

skybed
21st Nov 2009, 04:52
One of his original posts "Just like the way I get stuck into Sydney based LHCC". nothing like a dumped techie. mate, you have to get over the Sydney based LH hostie which dumped you. so much poisen.:yuk:........sad character:=
thankfully there are not many of you.
if you would display this attitude on my flight, the fleet manager would be busy....:ok:

twiggs
21st Nov 2009, 05:03
PlaneGuy013's comments need a little clarification before judgement can be made.
For example, if he was comparing A380 and 747 flights ex LHR, he would be probably comparing crew from within the LHR base only, ie the same crew.
If he is comparing flights ex Australia then his comments are relevant.

Without a doubt, talking on jumpseats is an issue, just see the results of the latest audits.

I think PlaneGuy013 may have been a little inaccurate though when he implied 747 crew used mobile phones during landing.
More likely it was during taxi after landing, not acceptable still, but far less dramatic than during landing.

ditch handle
21st Nov 2009, 06:16
To suggest that anyone would openly sms during the landing or taxi phase of the flight is ridiculous.

Not quite as ridiculous however as suggesting that CC were observed shouting [you'd have to, to be heard] at each other from opposing doors about the earnings of others.

Did you miss that distinction Twiggs when you jumped in so quickly to confirm the assertion???:rolleyes:

PlaneGuy013's comments are nothing more than a blindingly transparent and rather pathetic attempt to vilify and demonise QF's more expensive cabin crew group.

In who's interests would it be to do that I wonder.......?

funbags
21st Nov 2009, 06:39
Nice try, thankfully I have never been out with a hostie let alone dumped. Too much attitude for me. Thinking they're gods gift to everything, when they're really just aerial waitresses. :D

No b scales in Qantas mainline mate. The 767 is actually on a better wicket now, thanks for enquiring!

Beef or chicken, wow, rocket science! :ugh:

ditch handle
21st Nov 2009, 07:01
thankfully I have never been out with a hostie let alone dumped

Quite right. A god like you, dumped ?

Even the concept itself is beyond comprehension.

No?

hbomb
21st Nov 2009, 09:38
It is indeed. I have flown LH every few weeks for years and also have the impression that both the A380 crews and London-based crews on the 747 are more professional and engaged than the others. I have fifteen or so colleagues who travel as frequently as I or almost. Their views are similar. I wish it weren't so but abuse of pax who don't know the rules -how could they?- and manifest lack of interest in pax needs are all too frequent on the 747s. This is not universal by any means; most of the crew are both friendly and helpful. But some should be in other jobs.

Ka.Boom
21st Nov 2009, 10:33
In almost job/profession known to man there are those that dont have the skills/personality/ education or intellect to do whatever job as well as their colleagues.
Flying is no different.
There are probably around 10% of CC who should be doing something else.Unfortunately if you are on aircraft which is crewed by a portion of that 10% you will leave with a less than favourable impression.This can be down to training or the recruitment process.
"This is not universal by any means;most of the crew are both friendly and helpful.But some should be in other jobs"
CC in every airline tend to be a soft target.The abuse that Sing Air girls get from overweight middle aged Australian males is unbelievable.Most airline crews at some stage have to accept a rollicking over something that they have no contol over.Female passengers can be particularly cruel to female CC.Makes me wonder why any female would want to be a flight attendant.
Vomit,abuse,cleaning toilets,back of the clock flying,loneliness,homesickness are all reasons for doing something else.The remuneration these days is paltry.It has become a short term vocation for young single people with very little life experience.Takes about two years to toughen up.By the time that happens its ready to leave.
A continuous stream of new young faces.Fodder for airlines and the increasingly unpleasant travelling public
Dont become a flight attendant.Do your body and your dignity a favour and do something else.
Look at this website and the criticism directed at CC.Most posters here deride the position as vacuous.The only time their opinion changes is when they experience a medical or operational emergency.Who do they look for for help.?
The hostie you just abused because she forgot your drink may just be the one who saves your life later

captainrats
21st Nov 2009, 11:05
I flew for thirty years and met a lot of people like Funbags.Because of people like him I talked both my daughters out of wanting to be flight attendants.
One is a lawyer and the other a corporate PA.Thank God for people like Funbags

Bad Adventures
21st Nov 2009, 23:51
Apparently plans are now in place for the closure of the London cabin crew base. It will be put before the board shortly to be signed off. The reason for the closure being continuing poor customer feedback, Sydney management being unable to maintain control of management of the base, continual high staff turnover and sick leave and cost savings now negligible with the introduction of QCCA Australian based crew.