PDA

View Full Version : Can the Canadian ATPL exams be done via distance learning?

Toujours
21st Jan 2009, 02:01
Can the Canadian ATPL exams be done via distance learning?
Just as one with a PPL can do the 14 JAA ATPL exams in advance of the CPL training, can one with a PPL do the Canadian ATPL exams as well and then do the Canadian training for the CPL and in the end obtain a frozen Canadian ATPL???

If yes - can one do it distance learning? Costs? Duration?

Now another point - instead of wasting another thread I though I would ask here. Now the person in particular is a Canadian citizen and has a PPL. Do you in any way advise this person to go through the time, effort and money to convert the Canadian CPL to a JAA ATPL - by doing the 14 subjects and practical conversion training? Is it worth it?

Canadapilot
21st Jan 2009, 03:47
Totally different to JAA. Transport Canada ATPLs are designed for pilot testing not money earning! You need half the requirements to sit the 3 written exams...so that's 750 hours. I believe they are about 60 bucks each to write, and there is no rip-off groundschool course requirement...the studying is on your back and you're not babysat through the course. Get the hours, do the studying, sit the exams...simple as that.

jolandic
7th Feb 2009, 23:11
I also want to take ATPL exams.
So according to your reply I don't need to take any groundschool, just finish succesfully 3 exams (with 75% wright answers)?
I finished last year JAA ATPL exams all 14 of them, but they are not valid in Canada.
Is there any question bank like abacus or aviatior or aviationexam.com?
Are there any specific dates to take exams (here in Slovenija there are only like 5 dates per year)

ScudRunner08
8th Feb 2009, 03:46
Its been a couple years since I wrote the ATPL's. Its exactly what others have said a self paced study for 2 Exams "SAMRA Exam" (Meteorolgy, Radio Aids to Navigation and Flight Planning) and the "SARON Exam"( Air Law, Operations and General Navigation)

You need to achieve 70% on each, you could even drop in no appointment to write the exams at your local Transport Canada office you get 3.5 hours to write each exam.

You will also need to hold a Class 1 Medical and a Group 1 (Multi Engine) IFR Rating and of course the Minimum flight hours 1500 Total and other specific types of flying (Eg. IFR, Night) However you can write the exam with half the time 750 hours. Also you need to have passed a Group 1 IFR flight test within the preceeding 12 months.

As for study material I would highly reccomend AeroCourse AeroCourse ATPL/IATRA courses (http://www.aerocourse.com/atpl.html)
Get the books and study up, the questions are almost word for word whats on the actual exam. They offer a weekend course and I found it to be superb, what I did was get the books study up for about a month took the weekend course and wrote one exam on the next monday and the other on Tuesday and passed both without breaking a swet.

I can not remember the exam price but under a hundred dollars im sure. I think once I got all my paper work together and Applied to Transport Canada for the ATPL the proccessing fee was about 100 dollars. Now when you drop your Logbook and form off (they should have your exams results in the computer) but bring the results anyway, it may take some time depending on the office you go to. I have heard the Hamilton Ontario one will proccess it in a day!! and Vancouver has a fairly good reputation, Stay Away from the Calgary Office!!

Hope this helped :ok:

mclb
10th Feb 2009, 13:29
i think pilottraining.ca (http://pilottraining.ca) has some online ground courses for the ATPL.. last time i check...

Oh check out Contest - IFR or Private Ground School (http://www.myaviationschool.com/home/79-pilottrainingca/110-contest-ifr-or-private-ground-school-)

they are haveing a Contest for an PPL or IFR ground school..

:eek:

imfsub12
10th Feb 2009, 13:44
check out pilottraining.ca they have atpl courses...

_Walker_
19th Feb 2009, 22:56
I just wrote mine a few weeks ago;
You can take one of the seminar programs if you like, or conversely just read through the books and answer the sample questions. As stated above to hold a Canadian ATPL you need to write 2 (two) exams (80 questions 70% to pass) The cost is $105.00 (can) each. Personally I found them pretty straightforward, they arn't terribly difficult if you put in a few days of solid study. If you have enough hours to write the exam and allready know most of your stuff It really shouldnt take more than a week to study and write both.

To write the exams you must hold a Canadian CPL, and have 750 hours TT. After you write the exams you have 24 months from the date of the first exam to apply for the license. To HOLD the license you need to have had a multi IFR ride within the last 12 months, as well as 1500TT (and a brake down of PIC, night XC etc.)

-For study material I would also highly recomend Welcome to AeroCourse.com (http://www.aerocourse.com)

-It also wouldnt hurt to get a paper copy of the AIM (before they stop publishing it) although it is online at: TP 14371 - Transport Canada Aeronautical Information Manual (TC AIM) (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/publications/tp14371/menu.htm)

-When studying having access to the CARS would be a big help: Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) (http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/regserv/Affairs/cars/menu.htm)

-Here is a link to the study guide: Study and Reference Guide - TP 690E (http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/Exams/guides/tp690/Menu.htm)

However back to the original question;
In Canada there really isn't a "Frozen" ATPL. As with all Canadian licenses you can write the pertinant exams once you have 1/2 the requierd hours, after which you have 2 years to get the other 1/2, if this lapses you have to write again. There are week-weekend long cources offered by various groups, they are very informative and you do learn a lot but there is no requierment for "formal" groundschool so you could technically get away without doing one, but I would recomend spending $60 and buying a study guide with a few hundred sample questions.
There is annother exam that can be written before 750 hours that allows one to be an FO on a two crew AC, the (IATRA) exam. This is basically a mini ATPL that can be written at 250 hours. It covers most of the same material as the ATPL but because it is combined (and not covering seperate topics in seperate exams (SAMRA/SARON) some seem to think its a bit more difficult.

Edit: Writing the SAMRA/SARON grants the same privileges as writing the IATRA even if you don't have the full 1500 yet... IE if you have 800 hours and are now looking for a job on a PA31 dont bother with the IATRA just write the ATPLs and be sure you get 700 hours in the next 2 years.

hope that helps a bit!

phonetic
21st Feb 2009, 21:44
Can the Canadian ATPL exams be done via distance learning?

They can be done via no-learning. They're easy, and cheap - like most things in Canada. :8

atpcliff
25th Feb 2009, 13:44
Hi!

What is a "Frozen ATPL"???

cliff
KGRB