PDA

View Full Version : NZ ATPL Lectures

knox
20th Jan 2009, 21:26
Are there any outfits in NZ doing ATPL lectures?
Preferably the south island (but not essential).

Thanks

Knox.

codenamejames
21st Jan 2009, 02:42
This is one option:

http://www.ppsc.co.nz/Course.asp/ (http://www.ppsc.co.nz/Course.asp/)

more about Professional Pilot Study Centre here:

Aero FlightDeck - View topic - Atpl (http://www.aero.org.nz/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=36)

Hope that helps!

SystemsAreGo
21st Jan 2009, 09:14
Pete Sumner is the man.. Can't recall which training organisation he is with. Subjects suited to lectures include flight planning and navigation. For the others I would recommend hitting the books.

Good luck :ok:

knox
21st Jan 2009, 09:59
Cheers for that SAG.
Is he based in Auckland?

SystemsAreGo
21st Jan 2009, 18:49
Yes. I believe he is still based in AKL.

knox
21st Jan 2009, 19:18
Thanks SAG.
Anyone know of others.

knox

CTOT ON
21st Jan 2009, 19:59
Hey,

Go and do your ATPL in Australia. It is a little more painful in terms of the study for the exams but if you meet the hour requirements, you will get issued with an ATPL that you can convert back to NZ with no trouble. There are heaps of courses available there. Advanced Flight Theory in Maroochydore I can recommend.!

Good Luck

knox
21st Jan 2009, 22:47
Cheers codename, already got the ppsc notes, but would like some lectures on nav, having some real probs with it.

Hey ctot, yeah looked into doing the oz ones at mdoore, but found it would be quite costly to do, so just continued on with nz ones, now only have 2 left to do, nav and law.

Cheers

Knox.

codenamejames
21st Jan 2009, 22:53
yeah fair enough - incidentally what are your thoughts on the PPSC notes? So far a few guys I've talk to are keen on them, they guy who distributes them said they're very popular with foreign-born kiwis doing their exams...

freshcpl.co.nz
21st Jan 2009, 23:47
If you want to do the NZ exams try Mark Woodhouse (Aviation Waypoints - index (http://www.waypoints.co.nz)) great courses and good notes too:ok:

22nd Jan 2009, 09:08
try this guy for Law [email protected] - no lectures but his notes are first rate. esp the sample papers.

riseagainst
11th Feb 2009, 02:35
Hey there, what did you think of the ppsc notes?
Considering buying there notes for the atpl aerodynamics exam.

dabz
7th May 2009, 00:14
PPSC is painful!

I've done 5 subjects through their books and it was hard times.

There books don't teach you exactly what you need to know to pass and there's sooo much info in them, half of which you don't need to know.

There questionaire system wasn't the best as they would just reply back with the questions you got wrong, they didn't actually give you ideas to improve yourself.

You need to be pretty deticated to pass through the PPSC way, alot of study required.

I just sat Adv Aero yesterday after doing a course through www.waypoints.co.nz (http://www.waypoints.co.nz), felt I did well and instead of studying for a month prior to the exam I only sat a 4 day course.

You can learn so much more with a person actually infront of you teaching.

always inverted
7th May 2009, 03:32
I think that Mark Woodhouse from North shore AC looks after Pete's courses, well he did Look for the flyers that are on the noticeboards around the traps. I highly recommend them.
Are the not changing to pc based exams shortly, if so then they may have re-written the questions, may make it a bit more tricky...

screwballburling
7th May 2009, 04:04
As with a lot of atpl theory, it has nothing to do with aviation, in a practical sense.

Therefore you need to get with an outfit that will teach you how to pass the examinations. Anything less is probably a waste of time and effort.

Nikai
15th Jan 2010, 03:29
Just wondering whether anyone knows how to find out how long (time-wise) each of the ATPL exams are nowadays, how many questions, whether they are multi-choice/short answer/long answer, what materials can be taken into the exams, whether sample exams are available anymore (even in paper format would be useful).

Would be great to know whether you can use calculators or nav computers etc for some of the exams.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any of this information on the ASL website...

Have been hearing some interesting things about the delivery of the computerised exams... personally I've sat two (fairly easy subjects) under the news system, and haven't had any difficulties, but I've heard that in some cases (generally Nav based exams) the font size for some numbers is so small that you can't determine whether you're looking at a 0/6/8... :ugh:

Curious how people that have attended some of the short courses have found the new exams?

Really should have finished these before the new system came in!! :sad:

Inverted Flat Spin
15th Jan 2010, 05:18
If you want to find out how long the exams are go to www.asltasman.com (http://www.asltasman.com) , pretend to book the exam and when you select the exam down the bottom it will show you all the details.

Helpful system.......

I have done 4 computer exams so far, only 1 of them didn't have a problem with the computer system:

Met would not show me any forecasts so I couldn't answer a few questions. I still passed but it took over 1 month of chasing up ASL for them to admit there was a problem, they didn't give me a higher mark and according to my KDR I can't decode weather.
Flight Planning would not let me put my short answers into the box, I left it as a comment and also told the supervisor. Only took 6 weeks and $$$ for the formal review for them to give me a resit.

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Nikai
26th Jan 2010, 10:11
Cheers Flat Spin, not really looking forward to the next four! Back to the grindstone..

divinesoul
29th Sep 2010, 14:06
is ppsc and mark woodhouse the only way to do nz atpl.both i cant afford.if anybody wants to sell their books which would cover current atpl syllabus please let me know.

and could guys who have recently done the atpl exams place their feedback on how to prepare,time frame etc etc.much appreciated.

cheers

Steve Zissou
30th Sep 2010, 04:42
PM me for Pete Sumners contacts. He does ATPL Nav and Flight Planning. Excellent courses.

nakmoz
29th Oct 2010, 09:14
Hey there mate, would you mind giving me Pete Sumner's contact details ?
already tried PM-ing you ;)