PDA

View Full Version : The "beast" - Obama's vehicle - scientific question

Andy Rylance
20th Jan 2009, 21:40
Ok here is the observation.

On the presidential parade all the other vehicles have done exactly what normal vehicles do. When they start up and it is very cold you get a lot of water vapour out the back as the engine warms up. As the engine comes up to temperature no more vapour is seen. However... the beast is shoving out contast water vapour no matter how long it has been running... so is this something to do with its sealed internal system? ....

Yes I know I should get out more...:rolleyes:

con-pilot
20th Jan 2009, 21:42
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. :p

To be honest, I really don't know. I do know that an RPG would barely put a dent into the body of the car.

tinpis
20th Jan 2009, 21:51
I do know that an RPG would barely put a dent into the body of the car.

Yer not spose ter know that :suspect:

con-pilot
20th Jan 2009, 21:56
Yer not spose ter know that :suspect:

Oh shoot, that is public knowledge, everybody knows that.

Huh, wait a minute.

Why is there a helicopter hovering so low over my hous...........

er340790
20th Jan 2009, 21:57
What about an IED?

Hezbollah took out one of those posh, new, super-duper, indestructible Israeli tanks back in 2006 as I recall.....

Eboy
20th Jan 2009, 22:33
It was a very cold day for Washington, so low amounts of water vapor may have been more visible.

Crosshair
20th Jan 2009, 22:47
I would bet it's sealed against nuclear/biological/chemical attack. The vapor is His breath.

Say again s l o w l y
21st Jan 2009, 00:07
How can you seal an engine from the atmosphere in something that size? Anyway, why would you need to?

Cold day + Massive engine = water vapour.

con-pilot
21st Jan 2009, 00:15
Well I'll tell you what, there are some really smart people here that know a lot about cars and engines and stuff, so let me ask you this?

Assuming an nearly unlimited budget, give us ideas on just how you would design a car such as the Beast to be a secure and safe as it is possible.

With such things as a self-contained air system for both the occupants and the engine.

Go for it.

Howard Hughes
21st Jan 2009, 00:18
What about an IED?

What about an IUD? Oops sorry mixed up my TLA's...:E

PS: Perhap's it's the water meth!;)

kangaroota
21st Jan 2009, 00:56
No no no no no - YOU take an IUD out. It doesn't take you out:rolleyes:

Say again s l o w l y
21st Jan 2009, 01:01
As an ex-mechanical engineer, you can't run a mahoosive great internal combustion engine like that with a self contained air system. Not unless you have a pressurised tank the size of the Titanic being pulled along behind. You can all sorts of fancy filtration on it, but the air source needs to be external.

If you could have a sealed system, then I reckon Diesel-Electric submarines would use it, but they don't.

An internal sealed system for passengers? Piece of cake.

Though I reckon you already knew all of that didn't you con!;)

Avitor
21st Jan 2009, 01:07
I would bet it's sealed against nuclear/biological/chemical attack.

The vapor is His breath. :}

<So, I'll lengthen it to 10 characters> :\

er340790
21st Jan 2009, 02:07
Ooooh! You could be on the radio with stuff like that! :D

Bushfiva
21st Jan 2009, 02:51
This is the first diesel engine in a Presidential limo, possibly a truck engine because it's dragging 10 tons around. Maybe that's partly the reason.

barit1
21st Jan 2009, 02:52
Remember that A-10 that went missing in Colorado (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/craig_david_button/index.html)in 1997? Press was making a big to-do about a couple wayward 500# bombs.

I'd be more worried about that GAU-8 30mm cannon, and the fact the A-10 could be parked on a sod airstrip in flying condition, tanked up w/ diesel fuel.

I note that the POTUS did not take any excursions to the Rockies that year.

However, the Warthog was finally found imbedded in a mountainside.

Ancient Mariner
21st Jan 2009, 08:12
If, as someone implied, the Beast is fitted with a diesel engine, there's no way the engine would have reached operating temperature idling as it did. Maybe they had an additional diesel or petrol heater (Eberspächer) in there to keep the Obamas warm and cozy? Those heaters tends to emmit some water vapour.
Per

GANNET FAN
21st Jan 2009, 08:22
Hang on a moment. Assuming the Beast is new for Obama, why didn't Bush get one??

Or is the answer in the question!

flowman
21st Jan 2009, 10:33
Would it protect him from "friendly fire". That's probably the most significant risk he will face. Being surrounded by American troops must be [email protected]*king terrifying.

Howard Hughes
21st Jan 2009, 10:48
Of course if he was French, only the rear end of the car would need armour plating...:E

BladePilot
21st Jan 2009, 10:56
Geez! hope he doesn't turn up to his first 'green summit' meeting in that beast. How many gallons to the mile?
So Mr President is your new vehicle excluded from the Kyoto Protocol:rolleyes: