PDA

View Full Version : What is chemistry?

Rwy in Sight
20th Jan 2009, 20:15
Today as I was in her city and I called an ex. We talked and I realised that I still have some chemistry with her. As I was driving to another city I was thinking (carefully as I was driving) how do we define chemistry between two people?

I think it goes well beyond lust or love but I can really point out exactly? It is not the desire to spend time together or have fun?

Any help from the fellow PPRuNers?

Rwy in Sight

BombayDuck
20th Jan 2009, 20:22
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/purity.png

FlapsFive
20th Jan 2009, 20:43
If it moves it's Biology.
If it bubbles it's Chemistry.
If it doesn't work it's Physics (or IT, depending on who you're conversing with at the time :})

FF

BlueWolf
20th Jan 2009, 21:56
Go on, shag her.

Afterwards you'll realise that it was just a memory you haven't been quite prepared to let go.

The sex will be OK, but not great, and then you'll start remembering all the things that led to the pair of you being exes, rather than still being together.

Then you can get over her and move on with your life.

And you'll have another one to chalk up ;)

You do not have chemistry with this person anymore. You are, in fact, deluding yourself. But go on, shag her anyway. Then report back and tell us all that I was right.
:ok:

dead_pan
20th Jan 2009, 22:51
If it doesn't work it's Physics

... and you then spend a fortune proving it doesn't work (think LHC)

airfoilmod
21st Jan 2009, 03:02
for someone to sign the self portrait that is your ego.

AF

Beatriz Fontana
21st Jan 2009, 11:27
No, don't take her to bed. At least have a drink first! That's not as shallow as it sounds, me me elaborate.

Ask yourself this. Why do you still have her number? When you split, don't you delete the number? So you're not over her otherwise the delete button wouldv'e been hit. A crucial piece of information is also missing: is the feeling mutual? And can a relationship realistically happen (is there another man in her life?)?

Finally, don't build your hopes up. There are reasons exs are exs, and the rose tinted glasses of the past can cloud your judgement. Love and lust are very odd things and if we knew how to control them, surely the mistique of life would disappear.

Mac the Knife
21st Jan 2009, 12:38
Aaaaargh! Bin there & got the tearstains to prove it

As Thomas Wolfe pointed out, "You can't go home again......"

:cool:

DAL208
21st Jan 2009, 12:42
Ask yourself this. Why do you still have her number? When you split, don't you delete the number? So you're not over her otherwise the delete button wouldv'e been hit. A crucial piece of information is also missing: is the feeling mutual? And can a relationship realistically happen (is there another man in her life?)?

Nah, dont agree with that, i still have all my ex's numbers and still keep in contact a fair bit...there was a reason we got on in the first place and just because a relationship didnt work, doesnt mean a friendship cant! Although i may be naive......

the rose tinted glasses of the past can cloud your judgement.

Very true! Its easy to remember the good things of a past relationship.

for someone to sign the self portrait that is your ego.

How very very true! Great quote :ok:

er340790
21st Jan 2009, 16:35
Ahh, memories.....

At age 13, I got my first inkling that I would not be joining the likes of Pauling or Fischer, achieving 3% (a school record) in Chemistry. My request to drop the subject was also approved in record time.

P.S. What exactly is a Mole?????

Captain Stable
21st Jan 2009, 16:42
It's a little black, furry creature that lives in a hole, if the song is to be believed...

Storminnorm
21st Jan 2009, 17:06
I thought this was all about holes? :sad:

My last Chemistry mark was 2%.
I think that I got my name right.

BombayDuck
21st Jan 2009, 18:45
Captain Stable - I thought it was a black growth generally found on the face and often used as an identifiable feature on official records?

Desert Diner
21st Jan 2009, 19:31
When you first became a couple, that was chemistry.

When you split, that was reality/logic.

The chemistry never disapeared, it just got covered up by reality.

When you see them again, the chemical memories thend to pop up first. Then the brain starts compiling the rest of the memories and you remember the rest of the story.

Tweedles
21st Jan 2009, 21:02
Beautifully put, DD!:ok:

Beer_n_Tabs
22nd Jan 2009, 17:09
Rwy in Sight,

There has been some quite good advice here and well done to all who posted.

Go on, shag her.

But, that pretty much mirrors my thoughts :ok:
A roll in the hay for old times sake.....marvelous !!

Rwy in Sight
22nd Jan 2009, 18:17
Thanks for the advice great as usual.

It is one of those ex's that I know I really like to have a second chance because the chemistry was there but I was too concerned to tell her how much I liked her and make the relationship work. It was not a question of a quicky but more of do you like to live with me?

There are other exs with whom I think is ok to be friends with benefits, others that just friends is perfect and five that I really like to have a chance to make it wori (since I consider I have chage a lot the last few years).

The question however remains open what makes you to really like a person and enjoy time to be with vs other you just feel ok about being around with.

I am not sure I ask the question correctly but I am looking forward to read your ideas!

Rwy in Sight