PDA

View Full Version : British Airways Undergraduate Placements

champair79
20th Jan 2009, 14:45
Hey,

According to the BA Job site, BA 'anticipate that we will open these placements in January 2009.'

Does anyone with insider knowledge know when they usually open them. I know its still January and all....but I'm getting itchy feet and want to apply ASAP. I'm applying for other airlines as well and I don't want to miss the boat with BA.

Cheers,

Champ

fabbe92
20th Jan 2009, 15:18
What does this undergraduated mean? Would you please explain.

Thanks!

champair79
20th Jan 2009, 15:29
Undergraduate -> a person who is at University doing a degree but hasn't yet graduated and received their degree.

fabbe92
20th Jan 2009, 17:24
Okay but what does it mean? I mean is it a special self sponsored program or a cadett program for pilots or what?:}

NickGooseBrady
20th Jan 2009, 18:32
I may be wrong, but I would doubt very very much whether it is anything to do with training to become a pilot! The chances are it will be for other areas of the business, IT, management etc.

Of course I stand to be corrected.

redsnail
20th Jan 2009, 20:41
Undergraduate programmes are for the office placements, not for aircrew.

champair79
20th Jan 2009, 21:56
thanks redsnail, yes all the placements are ground based and predominantly office based. They allow you to learn about the airline and develop an understanding of how the airline operates within the departments that you are posted to. If you do a good job, then it puts you in a better position to land a job within the industry - either a different company or BA, as they will give you a good reference.

Of course, my intention has always been to be a commercial pilot but finances and the world-wide recession have temporarily put that on hold (I'm completing my PPL at the moment though). These placements might open up new opportunities for me and I might find a ground based job which I love.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Keep them coming.......

I'm going to call the recruitment hotline and ask them I think.

Regards,

Champ

champair79
23rd Jan 2009, 17:57
I spoke to my placement officer and she phoned BA. It looks like they are still deciding whether to do the placements for this year. I really hope they do!

Champ