PDA

View Full Version : NZ Part 121 Alternate requirement

fourgolds
20th Jan 2009, 12:52
Appreciate a little help on this. When is an Alternate not required ?

NZ Part 121 opps.

Is my understanding correct that no alternate is required if the weather conditions at destination ETA+- 1 hr Cieling at least 1000 ft above IAP minima and vis 5000m or 2000m above IAC minima ( whichever higher)

AND ( this is whats confusing me)

the destination aerodrome has two separate runways suitable for the aeroplane being used. ( so you will always require 2 separate runways) and to prove the rule for example. You will always need an alternate when flying into Wellington ( part 121) no matter how good the weather ( single runway airport)

AND

ground based nav aids for the IAP to be used
secondary electrcal power supply
aerodrome lights ( for night opps)

Many thanks

framer
20th Jan 2009, 21:59
You will always need an alternate when flying into Wellington ( part 121) no matter how good the weather ( single runway airport)

If you depart from a NZ airfield you don't need an alternate if the weather is beaut, if you depart from somewhere outside of NZ you do if the field only has one runway.
That is my understanding only, look into it more before taking off and getting into trouble! Remembering that all this is the minimum legal requirements and not neccesarily good airmanship. Personally I wouldn't want to arrive in Wellington without enough fuel to carry out a missed approach, go to Palmerston North and land with 1/4hr still up my sleeve.
Framer

fourgolds
21st Jan 2009, 06:14
Thanks very much. I did not spot the word "and" in 121.157 b.
I think you have it right.

All the best.