PDA

View Full Version : NIGERIA: AGE LIMIT for Airline Commanders

peeeyejo
20th Jan 2009, 10:26
Can anyone tell me the age limit for airline captains & commanders as per NCAA at the moment?
Does it differ for Nigerian licence holders versus those operating on other ICAO licences with NCAA validation?

soggyboxers
20th Jan 2009, 12:42
The current age limit is an accord with ICAO at 65. There are limitations on this: you are required to pass a stress ECG every 2 years once over the age of 60, you have to fly 2 crew and the second crew member must be less than 60. The rule is the same for all - though if you work for an ICAO member state which has an age limit less than the ICAO recommended 65, I'm not sure how you'd do on a validation.

LongJohnThomas
21st Jan 2009, 01:46
peeeyejo,
That makes me wonder.:ugh:
With the advent of the WT losers who want to fly till they are 70.
I recently heard a rumour that NCAA is considering increasing the age limit to 70 with 2 stress ECG's a year.
Makes one wonder what they were doing since they became commanders at 24??!!!!
Those who should be flying First or Business class as passengers and giving the younger Captains their AUTOGRAPHS are still struggling for night stop allowances with their grand-sons! Pity!!!!!!
With the present day commanders elsewhere in the world on more serious machines being aged 24,25,and 26. It seems to me like its only in Nigeria where first officers are 45, 50 etc and waiting for the 'tin gods' to go home!
Everything with a begining, MUST come to an end!!!!!
Like it, OR NOT!!!!:D
Bitter, BUT VERY TRUE!!:D:rolleyes::=:eek::}

flareout BC
21st Jan 2009, 12:13
I mean, shouldnt 24, 25 or 26 yrs old be about the operator you fly for, and not the type you fly? Look, the average age of the typical commander in Europe and the US where it all started, is on the high side. Just check the photo of the great stick who saved th US Air A320; it's on the web. I recall, in the early eighties, watching videos of unending crews of BA 737-200s step off the type of flights you get only on the British isles, and man, even then I got a kick out of the glasses-wearing, grey-haired pedigree they formed.:D Brother, if said tin-gods are such an obstacle, why not move elsewhere? You'd enjoy the benefit of higher seniority, and perhaps better equipment even. Isn't it said to be a pilot's market in Nigeria just now? Gentleman, please tolerate these grandpas the best you can; the grandest up on high beyond the Space Shuttle will then reward you, if only for the sake of our country. Afterall, you'll be an old guy someday......;)

LongJohnThomas
21st Jan 2009, 12:43
flareout BC,
I think you have my comments all wrong.
But since you want to delve, lets do so.
My comments were directed at a few who know themselves very well.
But, i will now comment on you and your views.
Where it all started has nothing to do with the current trend in the world.
I will duff my hat to some older pilots, god knows they have done their bit to make those of us after them a lot better at our jobs and more confident.
I must however bring to your attention that having flown extensively world-wide, i happen to be aware that Grey hair does not make you a better pilot!
I know tons of 'air-heads' with tons of hours and lots of Grey hair and i wonder how they made Captain! This is no disrespect to their age, just stating the fact that age has nothing to do with it.
I have also seen 26,27 year old boys who would out-fly any of these grandpa's any day!
You talk of going elsewhere? You obviously did not check my location to be certain.
I am concerned about what goes on in 'our' dear country and this is one trend that is quite bothersome!
Yes, i will grow old someday, but hopefully by then, i will be handing out my autograph to Captains or being the owner of the airplane and not struggling for rostered night stops!!!:D:ugh:
The young shall grow and the old shall die!!!!