PDA

View Full Version : Nancy-Bird Walton

tail wheel
20th Jan 2009, 07:57
The great lady of Australia aviation will depart St Andrews Cathedral in Sydney at 12.30pm (AEDT) on Wednesday.

Feather #3 advises:

A380 VH-OQA operating as QF6601 will perform the flyover at Nancy-Bird's funeral on Wednesday.

The routing will be to hold off the Manly area, track 1500ft through the Heads down Sydney Harbour, followed by a climbing left turn to 2100ft to cross the City, following George St from North to South.

ETD: 1115

ETA: 1220

Her family has asked people to donate money to the Royal Flying Doctor Service (RFDS) in lieu of flowers.

A donation to the RFDS (https://www.flyingdoctor.net/DonationForm.aspx), no matter how small, would be greatly appreciated, especially by those of us who rely so much on the wonderful service provided by the RFDS.

I suggest if you donate on Wednesday, a simple comment in the comment box "For Nancy" would be a fitting tribute and will show how much we appreciate the great lady of Australian aviation.

teresa green suggested:
Just a suggestion, on Amy Johnson day, many moons ago, we, all on take off, said it was for Amy. I don't think the ATC would mind one bit, for those of you who are taking off on that day, ( Weds) say it is for Nancy, you will find most pilots will follow. A fitting tribute.

Let us send the great lady off on her last flight in the style she truly deserves!!

Tail Wheel

Feather #3
20th Jan 2009, 10:37
Further data;

" Planned ETD is 1115 local.

Flight path is now planned at 160 kts TAS, 1500' from North Head west up the harbour to the harbour bridge, then a right turn to the North for approx. 3 nm then another right turn back over the harbour bridge climbing to 2100', for the North to South pass over St. Andrews Church./Town Hall at 1200 Midday."

He means Cathedral, but nevermind.

A fitting send-off.

G'day ;)

Boomerang_Butt
20th Jan 2009, 11:27
Any chance of altering the airport displays (or the scrolling text at the bottom) to show a departure for Nancy? I think it would be a great way to show we all appreciate what a part she played in aviation in this country. :ok:

Airport/ATC comments welcome! I'd love to know if it could be done.

I briefly met Nancy about 4 years ago now, what a true lady, great sense of humour and class all through. She will be sadly missed!

blueloo
21st Jan 2009, 00:42
A big let down - the Airboos was running around 30 minutes late - got airborne about 11:56 had enough time for a quick tear drop before an overfly at 2100 of George Street - nothing else.

Looked like a tiny speck in the sky - whilst no doubt there was a good intention to the idea - another poorly executed QANTAS event.

I feel sorry for al the other aircraft needlessly refused permission for harbour scenics because of the expectation the Airbus was going down the harbour at 1500 etc.

Ah well there is always next time.

OZBUSDRIVER
21st Jan 2009, 00:55
Funeral is being telecast live on SkyNews.

Atlas Shrugged
21st Jan 2009, 04:09
A big let down - the Airboos was running around 30 minutes late - got airborne about 11:56 had enough time for a quick tear drop before an overfly at 2100 of George Street - nothing else. Looked like a tiny speck in the sky - whilst no doubt there was a good intention to the idea - another poorly executed QANTAS event.

:ugh::ugh:

It wasn't all about the Airbus you know!

Foyl
21st Jan 2009, 04:18
Dunno where you were Blueloo, but the A380 went low & slow right over the top of the cathedral dead on 12, to the applause of those present.

And it was awesome, as was Nancy-Bird herself.

blueloo
21st Jan 2009, 05:08
It wasn't all about the Airbus you know!

:ugh::ugh:
Actually I do know. Nor was I trying to take away from the importance of the day.

Just an observation though.

ACMS
21st Jan 2009, 11:30
so hang on here...................

Either the A380 flew over at the correct time or it didn't.

Who is correct?