PDA

View Full Version : Hmmmm....

Rollingthunder
19th Jan 2009, 17:10
Trying to think of a deep, earth-shattering question that we can all ponder upon and answer and add some progress to this worried world.

No luck so far.

Will Mr. Draper drag hisself down to station to greet Tornado when it arrives on first proper mainline run?

No, that won't change the world.

merlinxx
19th Jan 2009, 17:17
What is the speed of dark ?:E

tony draper
19th Jan 2009, 17:18
Well the King Cross to Edinburgh line runs past about a quarter mile to the West of the Towers,unfortunately some houses obstruct one's view of same from one's back window,one has determined that once one takes power one's first act will be to order them demolished and the occupants shot.:ok:

Here's one for you,What would happen to the Earth happily tootling round it's orbit if the Sun were to suddenly disappear,in a instant,poof!! gone?
:uhoh:

Reluctant737
19th Jan 2009, 17:29
tony draper,

I should imagine it would depart at a tangent!

Ohhhh, you asked what would 'happen' to it (us)... well maybe we'd fall into one of those black hole thingies!

airfoilmod
19th Jan 2009, 17:29
Does she take her gravity with her? We'd still have ours, but would shoot ahead in a "straight" line in the direction we were facing when Sol split.

Captain Stable
19th Jan 2009, 17:31
I beg your pardon, Mr. Draper?

What's all this about the Earth going round the Sun? I think you got your fingers in a twist there - as any fule kno and as one can clearly see (when the British clouds don't get in the way) 'tis the other way round.

Talking of "round", what happened to those blokes who headed off to "prove" the world was round? Didn't see much more of them neither, did we? Goes to show they fell off the edge.

nahsuD
19th Jan 2009, 17:31
Here's one for you,What would happen to the Earth happily tootling round it's orbit if the Sun were to suddenly disappear,in a instant,poof!! gone?
:uhoh:

Well probably nothing as serious should the same happen to PPRuNe...

mocoman
19th Jan 2009, 17:53
Ah but would it take 8 minutes or so until the light reaches us before we shoot off at a tangent; or does gravity not follow the same speed limit as the electromagnetic spectrum?

:hmm:

tony draper
19th Jan 2009, 18:02
Yer Mr Sun would take his gravity along wi him,the question it should bring to mind is, exactly when would we shoot off at a tangent,?
:)
oops sorry yer posted whilst I was typing Mr M:rolleyes:

goudie
19th Jan 2009, 18:19
the Sun were to suddenly disappear

I'd have lay-in.

airfoilmod
19th Jan 2009, 18:35
Is Instantaneous, and ubiquitous, in my universe. No eight minute delay.

I expect Mr. Higgs and his Boson to explain it from Suisse, should they lash up the Hadron.

iws
19th Jan 2009, 18:51
Nope, gravity travels at the speed of light 'cos we (they?) are trying to detect gravity waves which could not exist at an instantaneous travel rate.

BlueWolf
19th Jan 2009, 18:56
I believe gravity exists as a constant, which is why they can't find gravity waves at any speed when they go looking for them.

I'll be alright if the sun goes out, I've got plenty of eco-bulbs.
:}

airfoilmod
19th Jan 2009, 18:56
and looking large? Or Large and looking small?

OFSO
19th Jan 2009, 19:02
Airfoilmod wrote:
Does she take her gravity with her? We'd still have ours, but would shoot ahead in a "straight" line in the direction we were facing when Sol split.

No, we'd shoot off in an ever-straightening curve, always getting nearer to a straight line but never quite getting there.

Here's another question. Fictional depictions of a large meteorite colliding with our planet show it crashing with some speed, usually into the Pacific, or (in recent US films) into France, althouigh this may change after tomorrow's Inaugeration.....

Suppose the meteorite was on a very similar trajectory to the planet and approaching with minimal difference in speed. Would it touch down "gently" on the equator, as in "just a nudge ?"

R

shedhead
19th Jan 2009, 19:10
Yes, it would be just a nudge but just a nudge from a very large mass would cause huge amounts of damage, Try getting a little nudge from a truck and you will know what I mean.

llondel
19th Jan 2009, 20:18

We wouldn't know for about eight minutes. Then we could have a mourning session for the loss of Page 3 (the only two good things normally found in the comic).

lomapaseo
19th Jan 2009, 20:29
What is the speed of dark ?

That's easy, about 1 furlong per fornight faster than the speed of light, because simply you always see light after darkness.

To prove this try to open up your ice box fast enough to see the light before the darkness.

christn
19th Jan 2009, 20:34
If one is suffering from flatulence and due to politeness holds it back where does it go?

Rollingthunder
19th Jan 2009, 20:37
It doesn't go anywhere, just adds to ruination of your lower intestine.

Get thee to the lav.

Beatriz Fontana
19th Jan 2009, 20:46
To prove this try to open up your ice box fast enough to see the light before the darkness.

Classic Homer Simpson: "Light goes on... Light goes off... Light goes on... Light goes off..."

Loose rivets
19th Jan 2009, 20:53
Finally, someone that is not me, brings up the topic of gravity, a word banned in the Rivets houshold...but the thread drifts to bottoms and the gasses that emanate from them.:ugh: One will never get One's Nobel prize at this rate.

Oh, and Homer Simpson's fridge. Frikkin 'ell...:suspect:

Okay, here's one for you. If the fridge was suddenly to disappear just after you'd opened the door, would the light from the salami sandwich on the third shelf, still reach your eyes and make your mouth water?

Sallyann1234
19th Jan 2009, 21:02
If PPruNe closed down JetBlast, how would you spend the rest of your life?

Rollingthunder
19th Jan 2009, 21:08
The boss has done that in the past. We all slowly melted into a greasy puddle. Please don't give him ideas.

Blues&twos
19th Jan 2009, 21:27
If PPruNe closed down JetBlast, how would you spend the rest of your life?

I would have to go elsewhere to pretend to be a pilot.

A A Gruntpuddock
19th Jan 2009, 23:33
Why does a bacon butty taste so much better with some brown sauce on it?

Is there an optimal quantity of sauce vis-a-vis the amount of bacon?

Have the scientific community been remiss in their research or have they found the answer and are selfish enough to keep it a secret?

Ogre
20th Jan 2009, 01:10
If the Sun was to suddenly dissapear I'd have to read something else.

apache
20th Jan 2009, 02:10
Earth shattering question :

Why do women think that men are still un-evolved, yet, after 30,000 years of evolution THEY(women) still think the silent treatment is a punishment?

merlinxx
20th Jan 2009, 04:37
There is no gravity "The Earth Sucks":E

blue up
20th Jan 2009, 07:33
Why can you recall the look, the feel and the sound of Bacon butties but not the smell or the taste. We know it is good but we can't imagine the small or taste through our memory.

God must have a twisted sense of humour. He's also the one who gave men nipples.

Rollingthunder
20th Jan 2009, 07:45
I can recall the smell of a bacon butty, but only in my dreams. That's why I sometimes wake up drooling.

So many technological advances but no one can deliver smells with television or movies.

BlueWolf
20th Jan 2009, 07:57
In time, RT, they will.

We see the world via the visible section of the electromagnetic spectrum, but we smell in infrared. Therein lies the clue.

Storminnorm
20th Jan 2009, 08:32
Always wondered why I could smell burning with
the electric fire on.

Blacksheep
20th Jan 2009, 09:21
Get thee to the lav.Ah! A gentleman. They're very rare around here.

The speed of dark is the opposite of the speed of light, thus -300 x 10-6 m/sec

"The Earth Sucks"Except in the case of helicopters, when the earth repels and thus keeps the contraption airborne.

OFSO
20th Jan 2009, 09:43
Christn wrote:
If one is suffering from flatulence and due to politeness holds it back where does it go?

German children sing a little verse which goes:

"Eine Rulpse ist eine Magenwind
das nicht den Weg zu Arschlock find"

Roughtly translated, "A burp is a stomach wind, that doesn't find the way to your arsehole".

Hope this helps solve the mystery !

BladePilot
20th Jan 2009, 10:45
So what if you took Concorde out of mothballs fired her up took off and flew her as fast as she could go along the equator in the opposite direction to the Earths rotation what would happen? or for that matter what would happen if you flew in the same direction of the Earths rotation? :confused:

the incivil beast
20th Jan 2009, 10:50
One thunk 'tis been done already in order to follow a solar eclipse

AFAOK, nowt peculiar happened

BladePilot
20th Jan 2009, 10:58
Shucks! so there goes the time travelling theory then:{

MadsDad
20th Jan 2009, 11:02
If the fridge was suddenly to disappear just after you'd opened the door, would the light from the salami sandwich on the third shelf, still reach your eyes and make your mouth water?I suspect, Mr Rivets, that in this case your entire Salami Sandwich would flash in front of your eyes.

(It might work better with a 'Past'Rami sandwich. Ok, I'm sure I had a coat when I came in).

BladePilot
22nd Jan 2009, 16:30
So what happened to the miracle protein pill we were promised by the scientists back in the good old 'Atomic' days?
'one a day will provide all of your nutritional needs' no more washing up or heavy shopping bags for Mum!

My cat now 11 years old has been eating the cat equivalent since the day she could eat solid food, crunchy dry cat food (leading brand) full of all the important things she needs to keep her healthy. Available in a variety of flavours, she likes the Chicken or Salmon variety. (mind you she scoffs more than one at a sitting!)

So if we can produce it for cats?;)