PDA

View Full Version : Bus to Boeing consider this.

fourgolds
19th Jan 2009, 14:51
I presented myself to the Doc at the EK clinic with severe lower back pain. The first thing he asked is , " What fleet are you on , Airbus or Boeing ?" , when I said Boeing , he said the clinic was aware of it as there are many with a similar complaint. The flight dech seat truly is a torchure device.

It especially significant , given all the ULH on this fleet. ( bare in mind when you go back to the torpedo tube to rest , you cannot stand upright in it either. So you duck walk and shuffle around to get to the bunk. You are unable to sit in the bunk as well. ..... and there are no other areas on board where you can sit comfortably.

The 777 is a great machine , but given the discomfort and deterioration in my health I would go back to the bus tomo.

Ed's Talking Horse
19th Jan 2009, 15:04
Amen brother. My lower back is bad since i joined EK on the 777, many others are the same. Apparently a local Chiropractor is doing brisk business in DXB.

Ed's Talking Horse

Gillegan
19th Jan 2009, 15:32
For my birthday this year, the family got me a book called "Cockpits of the Cold War" where some of the warplanes of last 40 years are reported on by some of the pilots who flew them. One common complaint about the Boeings (B-47, B-52) was how bad the seats were. They are probably using the same design.

I have had back problems for years and it has gotten worse since I've been on the Boeing. A few years ago I was sent to physio by the clinic and the therapist remarked that she had seen quite a few Boeing pilots with lower back pain. She got someone to take her into the simulator and had a look at the seat. Her comment was that we were all setting the seat adjustments wrong. She said to raise the back up as far as we could get it and extend the lumbar support as far as is comfortable. While it's not that comfortable, I have had less back pain since I started taking her advice. I have also used a cylindrical back pad (left it on the plane) and that helped also.

Pixie Queen
20th Jan 2009, 02:14
I have discovered that when my stomach does not push against my belt and I am at my correct weight to height ratio, my back pain disappears. :ok:

alwayzinit
20th Jan 2009, 05:55
Quite right Gillegan.

Having stuffed my back years ago, shifting sacks of spuds around:ugh:, I have found that a/c seats benefit from a few moments of adjustment.

The fully up and out back and lumbar is a start but also the thigh supports need to be right, plus the angle that your knee joint makes is critical. As the song go "The thigh bones connected to the hip bone .......................etc etc".

The Doc in Auntie Betty's flying club also said getting up and "pottering about" for 5 mins every 2hrs or so is very useful just to re-jig everything.

The final pearl I was given was to suck your tummy in for 30secs + every 30mins or so to tighten up ones cuddly bits! In my case very cuddly so Mrs Alwayz tells me :eek:.

Symetrical support all around realy helps.

(There is of course always the need for Mistress Whiplass to massage your back with her 6 ins stilletos whenever the PAIN BITES!:E)

Alwayz

fourgolds
20th Jan 2009, 06:47
typhoon pilot , what are you on about ?

ramiyns
20th Jan 2009, 07:59
I also had fair share of back pain,flying boeing for many years,last was B734.
doing between 60-80 sector a month. After every sector it takes me few minutes to stand straight with pain. Moved to the A320 with more or less the same operation,at the same time I start using an inflatable pillow half inflated positioned to support my lumper and it was like magic that problem and the pain,I would say 80% was gone.
Now flying ultra long sectors with NO problems.
Since then this inflatable pillow is my MEL as a NO go item.

This pillow coast only 4 Dollars,Its worth trying.

I hope this will help some of you guys.

Safe and painless flying.

fourgolds
20th Jan 2009, 08:01
I see , no worries , tks

Seat still sucks !!

pauhana
20th Jan 2009, 09:42
Having just had surgery on my back I can not stress enough a proper "back healthy" seating position. Knees not above your hips, back at a slight angle not to upright and a lumbar support. Dubai Physio sells a good one and you can pop it in the microwave to heat it up as well.

On another note, for those Bus guys going over to the Boeing take a look at the new FOM now call OM-A section on fleet transfers. It looks like the 6 months on type prior to the upgrade has know become 12 months!!

pauhana
20th Jan 2009, 09:49
Before the grammer police checks in. I know, I meant has now become 12 months.

NO LAND 3
20th Jan 2009, 10:56
Do pilots have piles of gold?
Not Boeing pilots, they just have ordinary piles.
Sigh...

bogeydope
20th Jan 2009, 11:51
I am with you Typhoonpilot!!!!

This guy needs to GO with such a username.......

EGGW
20th Jan 2009, 13:19
Whilst some may not like the above username, please remember that, the user has been around for a while. Please complain to Pprune Towers if you like.

Whinging over please, back to the thread.

EGGW

fatbus
20th Jan 2009, 14:23
I agree with EGGW . there are worst names then that one,but who cares. most dont know what APA is anyways

Kapitanleutnant
20th Jan 2009, 16:24
Can you guys tell where you get these pillows at in DXB? AND.... are you sitting on these pillows or putting them between your lower back and the seat back?

Thanks

Kapitanleutnant (starting to walk like Neanderthal man!)

Mr.White
20th Jan 2009, 17:57
Hey guys!!!!

What about cervical pain??? I have it since 4 months ago and I dont know how to fight it.

Any advise other than going to the doc, tips????

Mr.White:ok:

STD
20th Jan 2009, 18:08
I'm a Boeing driver and I have backpain... :{

PS: Thanks for the tips on seat adjustments, will try ASAP. :ok:

PositiveRate876
20th Jan 2009, 18:32
I'm an Airbus driver and my seat is comfortable :)

...but I can't see the instruments :eek: VFR only.

mini cooper
20th Jan 2009, 21:32
Try exercising the muscles in the lower back - you can find the exercise on the internet rather than me trying to explain badly. Don't forget the abdominal muscles either!! Also get up and walk around every hour at least.
In my experience the B777 seats at EK are not the best, the other boeing types I have flown with other companies had better seats - maybe it is just the seat that Ek specified which could have been better!!

TwinJock
21st Jan 2009, 05:26
EK Boeing fleet - slightly uncomfortable seat, great routes, magic aircraft.
EK Airbus Fleet - slightly less uncomfortable seat, piffy routes, never flown it and hope not to at EK ......

The choice is not difficult.

If you are given the choice by EK to change from AB to Boeing , do not let the comfort of the seat influence your choice. A little backache from a 777 seat is a Small prise to pay for a better roster and lifestyle at EK.

Time for my daily yoga!:ok:

fourgolds
21st Jan 2009, 06:02
agree with twinjock about the the lifestyle , but its also being compromised by not being able to as active as previously.

We,ll see what physio /pillows/exercise / bed rest etc reveals ( Mr boeing are you listening to this !)

Thanks for all the inputs.

ps:ok:
I do prefer Vref30+80 to Greendot , even with such discomfort.

Wiley
21st Jan 2009, 07:29
I have to agree that the 777 seat is a bit of a punish. When I queried why it is so damned hard when I first went on to it, I was told it is the first cockpit seat built to new 16G specs.

I find the 16G comment believable - it would take 16Gs to make an impression on the bloody thing.

I have discovered through trial and error that the comments others have made before me do help somewhat - high setting of back rest and elevate the thigh support so as to take a bit of the weight off the long-suffering butt bones.

GoreTex
21st Jan 2009, 17:55
4gold,
green dot is not the same as Vref30 + 80, but even lots of bus drivers dont understand the difference

fourgolds
21st Jan 2009, 18:44
Did not say it was.

typhoonpilot
25th Jan 2009, 13:21
Maybe he thinks "four golds" is an indication of too tight a grip??

Actually my original post, which may get deleted soon as well, was the response to a post by someone with an inappropriate user name. That person's post has now been deleted. In fact, that person's entire identity has been deleted. Confusing enough?

Anyway, I tend to agree with you that lowering the thigh supports is more comfortable.

TP