PDA

View Full Version : It won't fly but look at that wing!

mickjoebill
19th Jan 2009, 14:02
Will this qualify as the worlds largest rotary wing?

BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | 'V-wing' turbine gets study cash (http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7827044.stm)

Mickjoebill

SASless
19th Jan 2009, 14:23
"This is evidence of a real shift to green jobs and green engineering," he told BBC News.

Ah yes....Green Jobs...Green Engineering....but will it result in what really matters "Green" (as in Green Backs...Dollars, Sterling, Euro's).

"Green" efforts have to provide a profit over monies spent or they will fail.

Otherwise....who winds up forking over their pay check to pay for it? (Think Taxes here folks! Or increased costs for goods and services.)

206Fan
19th Jan 2009, 15:12
Think Taxes here folks

Yup thats what came into my head as soon as i seen the wind turbine :ugh:

Until the UK comes out of this recession and people start working again the government won't be getting much tax for their slick engineering designs!

Graviman
20th Jan 2009, 11:22
SASless, banks are getting billions pumped into them and the only thing we'll get for the "investment" is more smug financiers who know they can get away with anything...

Any investment which allows the development of a new generation of aerodynamic and structural engineers is welcome in my book. Spin offs may well include new UK based engineering companies and talent.

Does green energy pay back the conventional energy it consumed in making the steel and carbon fiber for the turbines? Only time will tell...

airfoilmod
20th Jan 2009, 11:32
Looks like the TV antenna on the back of my limo

Checkboard
20th Jan 2009, 11:42
I don't care what the engineers think ..

.... It'll never fly. :}

MadsDad
20th Jan 2009, 11:44
What I want to know is where does the Conveyor Belt go?

dead_pan
20th Jan 2009, 11:53
A billion quid on yet another wind turbine design? Shirley there's something better they can spend their money on?

If this is the best we can do I think the UK is heading for intellectual bankruptcy as well.

ehwatezedoing
20th Jan 2009, 12:33
You are all wrong :=

It's built like a giant spider's web and its only purpose is to catch solitary UFO.

N707ZS
20th Jan 2009, 14:46
They tried that with the three bladed turbine and the UFO got away! Is this a mark II.

Superpilot
20th Jan 2009, 16:21
You only have to look at every 'conceptual' design in recent times to see that money spent on researching/developing this sort of thing is always wasted. The best and most useful/practical things in life were invented hundreds of years ago, we just need to keep making them better.

AntiCrash
20th Jan 2009, 17:09
It looks like a big wind up key for the Earth. It could be a dis-information campaign to keep those pesky aliens away, thinking that we have used up all the resources...