PDA

View Full Version : KAKADU AIR wants CHIEF PILOT again!!!WHY???

Valdiviano
19th Jan 2009, 09:46
Every few months they advertise this position, why ?????

AussieNick
19th Jan 2009, 09:49
cause no one in there right mind wants to live in Jabiru for more than 6 months

The Green Goblin
19th Jan 2009, 09:51
Beat me to it :ok:

Mach E Avelli
19th Jan 2009, 22:45
Chief Pilot in many companies is a hiding to nowhere. The boss screws the crews; piss-poor accommodation, long duty hours blah blah. If CP defends them he's at war with the boss; a bloody communist in boss's view. If he doesn't look out for his troops he's a brown-nose worm and won't have any mates for long. Boss cuts corners; won't spend a dime on manuals, training etc. When CASA come to audit, Chief Pilot wears deficiencies, non-compliances etc. Boss reams CP, maybe even seeks to replace him. Someone in the ranks reckons he can do better; backstabs at every chance etc. I am not saying Kakadu Air suffers from any of the above because I never worked there. But for sure any CP in that type of organisation will cop pressure from all directions as described. Then there's the Jabiru factor. Not exactly where I would take my sweetheart.

roundaboutway
20th Jan 2009, 01:02
Or maybe *** still wants to change his own starter motors and the CP doesnt like it......although if it was still the chook man then i doubt he would mind.:=

John Citizen
20th Jan 2009, 06:21
Because the owner is absolute @rsehole to work for who treats everyone like ****. Yelling abuse and swearing at the staff on a daily basis is normal to him.

morno
20th Jan 2009, 06:39
Obviously a disgruntled ex-employee John?

I worked there, and yes, whilst Bob does swear a bit, he's probably one of the better employers I've worked for. Give Bob a bit of time and Bob will give you some back.

morno

The Green Goblin
20th Jan 2009, 07:17
Because the owner is absolute @rsehole to work for who treats everyone like ****. Yelling abuse and swearing at the staff on a daily basis is normal to him.

Sounds like every small charter operator to me!

How would you feel if you were dealing with a bunch of egotistical pricks on a daily basis, who really didn't want to be there, who whined at every opportunity they could get, cried fowl play at even a sniff of hard work, and would shaft you and your company name that you worked so hard to build without a second thought if a "better" job came up.

Look at both sides of the fence mate!

Yeah there are sharks out there, but if you shut-up, get on with the job and learn as much as you can, you will enjoy every minute of your GA career and miss that old clapped out piston single!

I only got back to the city a little under 12 months ago after 3 years in "the bush" and I miss it like you wouldn't believe. If only that ME award pumped up to a tad under 60k I'd stay there for another few years too!

John Citizen
20th Jan 2009, 10:49
I never had anything to do with him but I heard a lot about him to be able to make an accurate statement of what he is like. I have worked for others very similar to him and I know what its like.

and would shaft you and your company name that you worked so

Pilots shafting the company ? :confused:

Not being paid superannuation ?
Not being paid on time ?
Paid under the award ?
Working on days off ?
Working all day without a meal break ?
On call 7 days/week ?
Being expected to work for free ( I am not saying that I ever did that)
Being expected to break the rules ( I am not saying I ever did before any of you decide to attack me)
Doing extra duties beyond your job description ?
Being treated like **** with no respect and spoken to in a very demeaning way ? (you pilots are all worth **** and I can replace you all tomorrow if I want, forget about a friendly smile from the boss)
Being yelled and sworn at ? (is this effective communication ?)

Who is being shafted in the first place ?

Now you say these pilots are nothing but a bunch of whining lazy egotistical pricks hey ?

I believe they are just standing up for their own rights and refuse to be shafted by the company and taken for a ride.

splinter11
20th Jan 2009, 11:09
I think Mach E Avalie could not have described it any better, its the sad truth to being a CP for most GA charter companies....

Chop Air
20th Jan 2009, 11:10
West oz's fifth biggest town is classified as bush eh Goblin.:hmm:
John I suspect someone has a fuzzy memory of their previous employers' conditions courtesy of a cheque from the ombudsman. That makes it all okay.:ugh:

sundance222
20th Jan 2009, 11:16
Paid under the award ?

Being expected to work for free

Should pilots be avoiding companies like this and 'voting with their feet' against unfair conditions? The obvious answer seems to go there and find out for yourself, particulary when there are two different opinions. But it would save possible heartache to listen to people who have been there, done that and being "taken for a ride"

virgindriver
20th Jan 2009, 11:21
I worked there and John is pretty close to the mark on a lot of his comments. Trouble was, I didn't really notice too much difference when I progressed elsewhere.

I don't think *** was out of the ordinary by much for that type of operation (and the heat).

Stationair8
20th Jan 2009, 12:06
Sound's like Bob had you sussed pretty quickly John Citizen.

Cleaning aircraft and a bit hard work doesn't suit your ego?

Did two stints with Bob, yes he can be a bit difficult but a lot better than a couple of the bigger GA/RPT mobs that I have worked for. Money was in the bank every week, superannuation was paid, Jabiru's not a bad place to live considering a lot of guys get stuck out on an Aboriginal community.

John Citizen
20th Jan 2009, 21:59
Sound's like Bob had you sussed pretty quickly John Citizen.

Cleaning aircraft and a bit hard work doesn't suit your ego?

You got no idea :ugh:

I never even met Bob so how did he have me sussed out ?

I cleaned aircraft on a regular basis :ooh:, worked hard :eek:, and got shafted big time :*, otherwise I wouldn't be where I am now :ok:.

Pilots who stood up simply did not progress !!!

Pilots who worked the hardest (got shafted most) and complained least are the one's who progressed (onto twins/ turbines). Is this a fair seniority system ?

Looking back now, I am only sorry that I never stood up for myself when I should have and it was well within my rights (like where is my pay ? my super ? etc....). Don't even get paid in accordance with the award but then get treated like **** and expected to put in that little bit (or a lot more ) extra effort for the company.

I never did have an ego. You obviously do not know me.

I do not believe pilots have to be used and abused in order to progress in aviation but that's the way it is unfortunately, and some operators (Bob @ Kakadu) are worse then others.

The Green Goblin
20th Jan 2009, 23:42
West oz's fifth biggest town is classified as bush eh Goblin.

No, but working from remote stations are :ok:

someone has a fuzzy memory of their previous employers' conditions courtesy of a cheque from the ombudsman.

The cheque was most unexpected as I was always paid super and the award. I think it was more something to do with an extra 7k remote living allowance. Anyway the money was diligently spent at the pub!

Pilots who worked the hardest (got shafted most) and complained least are the one's who progressed (onto twins/ turbines). Is this a fair seniority system ?

You answered your own question, shut the pie hole, listen/learn and you will progress accordingly.

If you stand around moaning cause its "my turn" to fly the twin but you have not put in the effort why should you be rewarded?

Seniority does not work in small GA companies, its the best man for the job who is not a suck hole brown nose prick, but a hard worker, a safe pilot who knows their vocation and someone who is a pleasure to have a beer with after work, puts their hand up for a round at the pub, admits to mistakes and can look you in the eye when they speak!

Stationair8
21st Jan 2009, 02:59
Well John, perhaps you can set about reforming the aviation industry and save us all.
Ever worked in or run a small business?

Howard Hughes
21st Jan 2009, 03:42
Bob doesn't suffer fools lightly, after almost thirty years in the industry can you blame him? He has seen every mistake it is possible for 'wet behind the ears' newbie to make dozens of times over and then some!:ooh:

I am surprised at the number of pilot's who sit around and bitch and moan about Bob all day, but not take the time to go and talk to him and learn something about him!
Pilots who stood up simply did not progress !!!

In my experience if you made a fair point it would be listened to, but then again if you've never spoken to the man other than to say "hi", then how would you know?

I am thankful for the start Bob gave me and the opportunities he provided, probably wouldn't mind being CP out there one day, could think of a lot worse things to be doing!:ok:

Stationair8
21st Jan 2009, 03:58
As we used to say, "I am here for a good time not along time" was a pretty good motto at Kakadu Air. Had a good time, got a degree in aircraft washing, plenty of hours in the log book, made some very good friendships, learnt a lot of things, got paid to be a tourist, flew some pretty important people around Kakadu, went to a lot of places that one could never afford to go back and visit such as Seven Spirit Bay Resort, f##cked up a fair few times and got a spray from Bob but Bob gave me a start when no one else would give me a job or you needed 10,000 hours PIC and 41 IFR Renewals plus whatever else was required.

So John Citizen either you or your mates need to grew some balls, because when you move on from Bob's operation and you go and work for Rex, Pelair, AirNorth, Skywest or Virgin you will still be in for a rude shock. How the hell will you handle doing night freight in a ****ty old Metro with a U/S weather radar, what about when you have to extend past 12 hour tour of duty, Virgin change your roster?

John Citizen
21st Jan 2009, 05:27
because when you move on from Bob's operation and you go and work for Rex, Pelair, AirNorth, Skywest or Virgin you will still be in for a rude shock. How the hell will you handle doing night freight in a ****ty old Metro with a U/S weather radar, what about when you have to extend past 12 hour tour of duty, Virgin change your roster?

Yes, you are 100% right here Stationair8. Moving on from GA and into a major airline really has been a rude shock for me. I am just "rudely shocked" at how bad the terms and conditons in GA are compared to the very good terms and conditions in a major airline.

****ty aircraft ?
Night flying with no weather radar ?
Duty extensions ?
Roster changes ?

Been there, done that, and through a whole lot more.

Only now where I get treated and respected like a human being can I realise how much we were all exploited and shafted in GA.

morno
21st Jan 2009, 05:32
Sounds like GA is much better for having lost you, :E

The Green Goblin
21st Jan 2009, 08:24
He sounds like a REX FO to me :E

myturn
21st Jan 2009, 08:47
Little JOHN - ARE YOU SERIOUS? Guys like you dont deserve respect, those stripes you and your aunty cherish so much dont mean nothing in the real world. Its the shoulders on which they lie and the what got them there that gets the merit. You my friend have a long way to go and having Uncle pay for your flying career does not for a moment make you special.

John Citizen
21st Jan 2009, 08:49
If you blokes (the minority) who are standing up for Bob think he's such a good bloke, then why not just be his new permanent career chief pilot and live in Jabiru flying singles all your life. :ok:

Maybe learn to swear and carry on like him too....and use and abuse just like he does

Since when did Rex have jets ? :confused:

By the way, no uncle, auntie, parent, sponsor or anyone else paid for my career either :ugh: What makes you think they ever did ? I paid for it all on my own.

I do not believe I am special. However I do not believe any pilot should go to work and be treated like **** from people like Bob.

sms777
21st Jan 2009, 09:08
I was going to put my two cents worth in to this since i have been there done it too.

On second thoughts.... i wish i was a moderator and just go....CLICK

Howard Hughes
21st Jan 2009, 09:22
and live in Jabiru flying singles all your life
You say it like it's a bad thing! Can't think of anything better than an early morning flight with an aircraft full of female backpackers, scooting along at low level, them were the days!:ok:

morno
21st Jan 2009, 09:29
Ohh that was something to behold ey Howard, :}. Mind you, sometimes the antics the night before with the Contiki crew, were worth giving up the morning flight and handing it to someone more "junior" to do, :ok:.

I thoroughly enjoyed my Kakair Days, and look back on the hard work as good character building and life skills building.

And John, whilst I may be defending Bob, I am at a great point in my career where I don't really want to be going back to single engine piston (or twin for that matter) work. So why don't you have a go instead, and stop bagging the bloke of whom you've never met, nor worked with.

morno

The Green Goblin
21st Jan 2009, 09:44
Amen morno!

In fact I highly doubt 'ole John is even flying a jet, most jet jockeys look back and smile, they are not all hot and flustered under the collar. Sounds to me like John rocked up with an attitude and was cut down hard!

If you're flying a jet John, give us a heads up, how about the company/type and your typical roster/sectors etc with a few phase ones thrown in for good measure. How about Emergency decent, Engine fire ground/air, EFATO and what you use a thronomeister for!

John Citizen
21st Jan 2009, 10:03
In fact I highly doubt 'ole John is even flying a jet

Give your phone number and I will make a live video call when I next fly(obviously can't make the call it in the air but maybe when on the ground doing my preflight, is this ok) ?

Is this enough proof ? :ugh:

AussieNick
21st Jan 2009, 10:17
john, how long is it going to take you to realise the guys are just stirring you now?