PDA

View Full Version : MAS Kargo and Work permits

Paladini
19th Jan 2009, 03:38
Can anyone help me with a tough question?

How do you go about obtaining a work permit for Malaysia? Have been offered a job in Kuala Lumpur with an ACMI operator, but the contract states I will be responsible for taxes in Malaysia and apparently must get a Malaysian work permit.

I know lots of guys there already ...... but none of them have work permits, nor have they applied for one.

How did the Atlas guys handle this problem? :ugh:

Podunk
19th Jan 2009, 03:57
Don't bother even applying for one, you'll just upset the apple cart. Immigrasi Malaysia is owned by MASKargo. They don't care as long as the foreign crews are flying out every 7 days or so.

Atlas left there a long time ago, but I don't think any one of us ever got a work permit or was presented with a tax demand before we left. :} :ok:.

I wonder what the BumiPilots are thinking about the situation now.... especially with the failed banks and tax exiles from a certain N Atlantic magma heap invading their Capitol. :p

kwaiyai
22nd Jan 2009, 11:00
Paladini you have to have approval from DCAM which goes with your application from your employer. Its there responsibility as Employer and sponsor to get your WP. You will highly likely be unable to get one yourself.
And anyway have you been to Jabatan Immigresen in Putrajaya?
Just FYI Ive been here on and off for over 6 years legally Lah,
Regarding Taxes are they going to pay deductions from your salary which they should, you submit an annual tax return which you can get an accountant or go to Tax office and they can help not that Ive tried that. Can PM me if you need any more info but sounds dodgy what you are told,
Regards,

GlueBall
22nd Jan 2009, 12:03
Some of the B742 and A306 MASkargo jets are "TF" registered; you might want to enquire with the Icelandic outfit: "Atlanta"

Paladini
22nd Jan 2009, 21:22
KWAIYAI -

Thanks for the info, maybe I'd better find out exactly who the sponsor will be. The Company I would work for is a crew agency subsidiary of Air Atlanta Icelandic, but on the MASKargo contract.

Do I ask Air Atlanta Icelandic or MASKargo to sort out the Work Permit.? I guess my employer will be AAI, but am not really sure.

Also, I assume if I get the WP I will be laible for Malaysian tax, Anyone have an idea of the current tax rate for approx $115,000 US/year + perdiems. ?

I have heard 34% bandied about, would prefer obviously NOT to have to pay Malaysian taxes. How do the Icelanders avoid Malaysian tax? Come to think of it, how do they avoid Icelandic tax as well? :confused:

jetjockey696
23rd Jan 2009, 13:11
Malaysia has banned the hiring of new foreign workers in factories, shops and other services.

The government said the move was to protect its citizens from unemployment during the economic downturn.

It has also told employers that if they want to cut back their workforce they must sack foreign staff first.

Malaysia is a leading Asian importer of labour, with more than two million foreign workers - mostly from Indonesia and other South East Asian countries.

The first to be retrenched should be foreigners and not locals

Syed Hamid Albar, Malaysian Home minister

The ban on new foreign workers is indefinite and will affect key manufacturing and services sectors which currently employ about half of Malaysia's foreign workforce.

Exemptions may be given to those working in highly skilled service industries and factories.

The decision was announced late on Wednesday by the Home Minister Syed Hamid Albar.

Syed Hamid told the New Straits Times that the decision had been prompted by a human resources ministry report which showed 45,000 people would be laid off by the end of the month.

"This is not the time for employers to ask for foreign workers," he told the newspaper.

"The first to be retrenched should be foreigners and not locals," he added.

Employers have been told that foreigners already working in Malaysia will be allowed to remain until their contract expires or until they are laid off.

Eka Suripto, an official at the Indonesian Embassy in Kuala Lumpur, said up to one-third of its 300,000 nationals working in Malaysia's manufacturing industry could lose their jobs this year.

"Certainly what they will sacrifice first are the foreign migrants," he said.

Thirteen thousand workers lost their jobs in the last quarter - over 75% were Malaysian.

In a further sign that Malaysia's export dependent economy is being squeezed by the global economic downturn, some economists are projecting the country's growth rate could fall to below 2%.

GlueBall
24th Jan 2009, 05:38
Just curious as to why you think that you would need a work permit if your employer is not MASkargo, if your pay check is not issued by MASkargo . . . ?

You said that you would be working for a non Malaysian ACMI operator.

You ask: "How did the ATLAS guys handle this problem?" The ATLAS guys didn't have a "problem" because they were employed by and working for an American company, flying "N" registered airplanes, paying American taxes. Just because Malaysia, or any other country, contracts foreign ACMI operators to fly their pax or freight with foreign registered airplanes and foreign pilots does not make YOU, the pilot, a direct employee of the airline that you're flying for.

If you are working as an expat "contractor" through a crew leasing agency, like Rishworth, or Parc, then you are responsible for your own taxes to be paid in your home country, or whatever country you choose to legally reside in. The crew leasing agency will not deduct from your wages nor pay your taxes for you.

If you're an expat living in HKG, for example, the typical income tax rate would be around 15%

Paladini
24th Jan 2009, 05:45
Thanks Glueball..... straightest answer yet !

namsham
26th Jan 2009, 14:54
If you are working for an expat "contractor" in another country then the tax you pay in your home of Hong Kong is zero. IRD regs- income derived offshore from hk is not taxable in hk.