PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for the concert America!

Juud
18th Jan 2009, 21:44
I have just smiled and cried and grinned and sung my way through the concert at the Lincoln Memorial.

What a perfect evening.
The best of America was on offer, we were all reminded of the good things your country stands for. Reminded of what is good and true in all human hearts and minds.

... to help man endure by lifting his heart, by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past...

You guys do these things so well; congratulations to all our American PPRuNers. :ok:

http://img.iht.com/images/2009/01/18/18obama-lincoln550.jpg

Pitts2112
18th Jan 2009, 22:23
On behalf of my country, thank you very much.

Every once in a while, something like that reminds me of what America stands for and what it could be, and helps overcome the sometimes bitter disappointment of the day-to-day reality of what it actually is. On balance, a pretty good place, and hopefully going to start getting a lot better from tomorrow.

Glad you enjoyed the concert. Sounds like a great event.

Peter Fanelli
18th Jan 2009, 22:49
There was a concert?

ZH875
18th Jan 2009, 23:05
Credit Crunch....Spend Billions becoming President and throw a free concert for the masses.:confused:

Peter Fanelli
18th Jan 2009, 23:23
Not only that but when Bush's last inauguration cost $40,000,000.00 the media was outraged at spending that much money. This weeks Obamassiah love fest is estimated to cost $160,000,000.00 and the media is silent. So much for an unbiased media.
I have a feeling this entire presidency will be hidden behind such concerts, parties, smoke and mirrors.

con-pilot
18th Jan 2009, 23:30
I thought I saw you on TV Juud. :p

I can't believe you actually went into that mess of humanity. Very happy that you had a great time. :ok:

So much for an unbiased media.

Yup, the silence is deafening. ;)

airfoilmod
18th Jan 2009, 23:40
What you say of our land is true, and we love her. It is galling that for the last 8 years our media would have you believe it wasn't. We aren't about our politicians; if you are in trouble we will help, we ache for those in hunger and pain and illness, asking nothing back. GWB is loved in Africa for his generosity and compassion re: the Aids epedemic. Did you know that?

But, we inherited what we have and what we are is what we were in times of greatness, and struggle, still. We resent being "packaged" by cynical media gasbags, to be "disseminated" according to the callous and hypocritical of those with a micro phone, screen, or masthead.

I don't weep often, but at the sound of our song they drip with gratitude... We are Free.

CityofFlight
19th Jan 2009, 00:24
Thanks Juud. It's a passionate time for Americans. We're fortunate that we have a new President with the capability to unite so many.

The HBO airing of the event is being televised on the west coast now and so far, it is inspiring. :ok:

sisemen
19th Jan 2009, 00:55
Watcher gonna do America when you discover that the messiah has feet of clay and will probably be no better or worse than GWB and all those who have passed before?

I feel truly sorry for the guy knowing, as he does, that the whole of the world is looking to him as some kind of saviour - for what??? Here's hoping that his bag of tricks is full to overflowing - he's going to need them to fulfill expectations.

CityofFlight
19th Jan 2009, 01:06
Sise...we've been a nation divided for so long, today and the next few days, we have a nation joined in unity. That's half the battle.

I don't think anyone who follows gov't and politics is naive enough to think he's a Messiah. That's a media branding. But I give the man credit for what he knows is his greatest undertaking and who seems ready to rise to the challenge of scrutiny. (don't get me started on Nancy Pelosi)

That's what we do as Americans. We stand by our President, our military, our patriotism.

pigboat
19th Jan 2009, 01:21
What you say of our land is true, and we love her. It is galling that for the last 8 years our media would have you believe it wasn't. We aren't about our politicians; if you are in trouble we will help, we ache for those in hunger and pain and illness, asking nothing back. GWB is loved in Africa for his generosity and compassion re: the Aids epedemic. Did you know that?

But, we inherited what we have and what we are is what we were in times of greatness, and struggle, still. We resent being "packaged" by cynical media gasbags, to be "disseminated" according to the callous and hypocritical of those with a micro phone, screen, or masthead.

I don't weep often, but at the sound of our song they drip with gratitude... We are Free.

:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

GetTheFlick
19th Jan 2009, 02:17
Thanks Juud.

Don Brown

GetTheFlick
19th Jan 2009, 02:25
Watcher gonna do America when you discover that the messiah has feet of clay and will probably be no better or worse than GWB and all those who have passed before?

Try something different ?

What are you going to do if he turns out to be one of the great ones -- up there with Washington, Lincoln or FDR ?

Don Brown

parabellum
19th Jan 2009, 03:06
A shame to hi-jack Juud's thread but I think you will find he turns out to be whatever the senior, hardened Democratic party members and officials want him to be, such as they are able and overall the Democratic party's past record in government is not so good, is it?

sisemen
19th Jan 2009, 03:17
What are you going to do if he turns out to be one of the great ones -- up there with Washington, Lincoln or FDR ?

Give profound thanks..... and hope that there isn't a nutter with a gun waiting in the wings.

Scrubbed
19th Jan 2009, 07:10
No one can do "cheesy" like the Seps. Was there lots of clapping along to the music? God I hate it when the crowd starts clapping along..... :D:D:D:D:*:D:D:D:D:D

Captain Stable
19th Jan 2009, 08:23
Democratic party's past record in government is not so good, is it?And, pray tell me, what exactly do you think has been happening the last eight years???? If Barack Obama turned out to be a drug-dealing terrorist whose entire family (including the 15 illegitimate offspring from as many different mothers) are illegal immigrants, his university degree a fake, his IQ equal to his shoe size and his entire and only wish to watch "Star Wars" in the White House's home cinema, he would still do better than George W. Bush.

ORAC
19th Jan 2009, 09:08
Enjoy the music it while it lasts..... ;);)

There was a comment after the election from a UK commentator saying he was really looking forward to the next few years. He's been fed up to the back teeth with gushing American liberals coming over and exclaiming at dinner parties how lucky we were to have Tony Blair et al whilst he sat there and ground his teeth. He's looking forward to waiting a couple of years and then going to the States and returning the compliment with respect to Obama.

Enjoy the ride.... :E:E

The Spectator I have seen your future, America, and it doesn’t work (http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine/features/3233531/i-have-seen-your-future-america-and-it-doesnt-work.thtml)

Captain Speedbird
19th Jan 2009, 09:23
I know what you are saying Scrubbed. Its the arms-in-the-air swaying that leaves me red faced with vicarious embarrasment. (Lighters aloft is so non PC these days, We now bask in the communal glow of a thousand points of iphone light. Why must the devil have all the best tunes?

Scrubbed
19th Jan 2009, 09:42
Well as a matter of fact, Captain, more greenhouse warming is produced by manufacturing an iFone than making or even using a lighter. A Zippo is the way to go. They never go out even when thrown 25 or 30m through the air, to land in a puddle of petrol surrounding all your enemies.

What I do wonder, though, is if greenhouse gases are so BAD, then why do they call it "green"house gas when it's actually not very "green" at all.

Captain Speedbird
19th Jan 2009, 10:12
Zippos are a great icon of the days when a soft pack of Camels in the top pocket was an essential accessory. Sadly my Zippo days are past, they ruin the taste of a good cigar, lighting a Cohiba by apu exhaust would leave less of a taint. I'm not sure I would fit in waving a burning spill above my head in my silk dressing gown glass of port in the other hand and puffing clouds of cigar smoke around my fellow comrades in arms. They would all end up looking a bit 'sooty' I fear. And that just isn't allowed nowadays.

tinpis
19th Jan 2009, 10:26
Still enjoy me King Edwards. :ok:

Captain Speedbird
19th Jan 2009, 12:53
Hmm.... Thank you for the potatoes America! :ok: http://www.britishpotatoes.co.uk/assets/Varieties/_resampled/SetWidth200-king-edward.jpg

Scrubbed
19th Jan 2009, 13:16
Yes, thankyou for the potatoes, America...

http://www.allergizer.com/50226711/french_fries.jpg

Captain Speedbird
19th Jan 2009, 13:29
On advice from Messrs Sue, Grabbit & Runne, post edited , but left the amusing pictures. http://www.umassvegetable.org/images/soils_crops_pest_mgt/crop/pea2s.jpghttp://www.alacuisine.org/photos/uncategorized/focaccia_dough_02.jpg

Scrubbed
19th Jan 2009, 13:45
The original Ronald C. McDonald was a

http://www.germes-online.com/direct/dbimage/50289949/Freeze_Dried_Green_Pea.jpg

http://images.easyart.com/i/prints/rw/en_easyart/lg/7/1/The-Simpsons---D-oh--Mini-Posters-71133.jpg

http://www.tool-up.co.uk/img/fs/15726.jpg

I'm surprised you know this. He's still in the big house doing time, by the way.

Captain Speedbird
19th Jan 2009, 13:49
Anyway. About this concert......

Storminnorm
19th Jan 2009, 15:05
Never mind the concert!
Thanks for joining in on our side a couple of times last century.
Even if you were a bit late the first time. You got there finally!

I reckon your NEW President Obama is a fantastic guy, and I
also think, and hope, that he will do a really good job in the
next few years, provided he gets support from the American
people. It's a pity to see the back of the Dubya chap, great
entertainment if you weren't poor or black or middle eastern,
Good luck to the NEW President.

Beatriz Fontana
19th Jan 2009, 22:14
I really hope US political satire doesn't die a death with the passing of Bushisms.

goudie
19th Jan 2009, 23:35
I really hope US political satire doesn't die a death with the passing of Bushisms.

Never misunderestimate the American sense of humour

Good luck to President Obama

AMF
20th Jan 2009, 00:00
Democratic party's past record in government is not so good, is it?

Captain Stable Quote:And, pray tell me, what exactly do you think has been happening the last eight years????

You do understand that during the entire Bush 2 presidency Congress (the Senate and the House of Representatives) was controlled by the Democrats? That means Congress as a whole as well as the majority seats/votes on each Committee and Sub-commitee found within. There is no Imperial Presidency, and as a whole Congress is the most powerful branch of government and from where all laws and funding originates.

For instance, The House and Senate Commitees charged with banking law and oversight were both chaired by Northeast State, liberal Democrats and who's party held the majority in each; Barney Frank from Mass and Christopher Dodd from CT. The Democrats were also held the majority in Congress for most of the Clinton Presidency when these banking rules/laws were relaxed, and in fact many Clinton Government cronies ended up as senior execs in some of the failing banking/financial firms approving risky methods for bank lending they helped open the door for in the 90s. Given the current global banking/finance debacle coming to fruition now because of those risky lending schemes made possible by Democrat control of the White House and Congress, how can anyone say with assurance the Democrats will probably be better?

That being said, good luck to Obama. I hope he can resist the entrenched, antiquated, Baby Boomer Lefties like Frank, Dodd, Biden, Hillary etc. etc. and does actually bring in a period where that generation of losers and poseurs becomes passe.

And if anyone would really want to get rid of Obama, look no further than that Lefty crowd if Obama doesn't toe their line. After all, one of their boys..Biden...is just a hearbeat away, as they say. Many people figure this was also the real deal behind the Executively-ineffective JFK's demise, and the Left got exactly what it wanted with LBJ...a President who was owed by practically everyone in Congress and signed off every multi-billion taxpayer-dollar social program and effort they could dream up since the time of FDR.

Biden as President? Hopefully NEVER! My hope is that Obama does well and the the Secret Service stays sharp and that backdoor to a Biden (or one of his ilk) Presidency stays slammed forever shut.

AntiCrash
20th Jan 2009, 02:53
As I remember the Democratic Party did not have the votes to do very much untill the last mid term election.

If the Rebublican Party is to come back they better figure out how to clone T.R.. They have totally lost the plot. For a small government, balanced budget lot they have failed miserably at both.

Reagan's Ed Meese removed the protection against illegal search and privacy. GHWB 41 ran the CIA's illegal war in Nicaragua for Reagan. W-43's lot took a run at Habeus (sp) Corpus, the right to assembly and finished with torture and Illegal wire taps.

It is hard to admit to being a registered Republican, it's harder to vote that way. I hope and pray they fix it soon. This last rabbel make R.M.N. look like a choir boy.

Teddy Where Are You???

con-pilot
20th Jan 2009, 03:25
It is hard to admit to being a registered Republican, it's harder to vote that way.

This is supposed to be a thread about the United States being thanked for a concert that a member of Pprune enjoyed. A member that I happen to admire and like a lot.

Not a Hamster Wheel tirade against Republicans.

Get a life.

BlueWolf
20th Jan 2009, 03:47
This is supposed to be a thread about the United States being thanked for a concert that a member of Pprune enjoyed. A member that I happen to admire and like a lot.

Not a Hamster Wheel tirade against Republicans.

Get a life.

Well said con. :ok: More such commentary from the 'old hands' here can only be a good thing. If we can police ourselves a la the Mil Forum, perhaps we'll be allowed a little more let where the discussion of actual politics (in the appropriate threads) is concerned.

I didn't see the concert, but good luck to the new President.

PS: I think she's pretty hot, too ;)

con-pilot
20th Jan 2009, 03:57
I didn't see the concert, but good luck to the new President.

PS: I think she's pretty hot, too ;)

OBAMA IS A SHE! Oh my god! Does Michelle know? :eek:

;)

AntiCrash
20th Jan 2009, 14:46
It was a great concert indeed!

Thanks Con-Air, I have a wonderful life already. Funny how the tirades against Clinton (who I did not vote for and did not like) did not raise a peep from you.

According to Einstein the definition of insanity is using the same tactics to solve a problem and expect different results. The GOP has got to change.

ORAC
20th Jan 2009, 14:49
According to Einstein the definition of insanity is using the same tactics to solve a problem and expect different results. Yeah, but he was attempting a put down to disprove quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principal.

Just goes to show that even geniuses have foot in mouth moments. :ouch:

airfoilmod
20th Jan 2009, 14:50
Didn't say that. What he said? "It is folly to ask those who created the problem to solve it."

AF

Not given to "put-downs" and a humble man, Einstein Created the Quantum Theory.

Iwasoneonce
20th Jan 2009, 14:57
Good luck to President Obama and God bless him.

I just hope he will continue where JFK (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WSGwnz7XpY) left off. Difficult to imagine of course considering his administration is riddled with Clinton cronies. I think the world would have been a better place if JFK had lived.