PDA

View Full Version : The best hotel in the world

willbav8r
4th Oct 2000, 04:46
following on from the thread about the worst, go on, impress us!!!!!

My vote:

Grand Hotel de Milano

Dave Incognito
4th Oct 2000, 06:00
Island Shangri-La, Hong Kong. Very nice indeed.

Have a good one, D.I.

------------------
Flying is easy - just throw yourself at the ground and miss.

What_does_this_button_do?
4th Oct 2000, 11:01
One Devonshire Gardens, Glasgow.

Devine........

The Grinder
4th Oct 2000, 14:41
Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong. Wonderful place.

Also, their afternoon tea is fantastic - better than the Peninsular (although surroundings are not quite so nice).

F/O Junior
4th Oct 2000, 14:45
I think the Swissotel "The Bosporus" in Istanbul is quite nice.

Biggles Flies Undone
4th Oct 2000, 15:55
Oriental Bangkok

Conky Joe
4th Oct 2000, 16:07
Guess it depends what you're after - Ziwani in Tsavo, Kenya, near the border of Tanzania is the most incredible spot that I've been to. Thirteen tents by hippo pools in the middle of nowhere - no running water and electricity for two hours a day - the sun sets over Kilimanjaro - heaven on earth .... (Although I don't think I went to the loo the whole time we were there - who knows what was lurking in that long drop!! :))

FE Hoppy
4th Oct 2000, 16:25
Al Bustan Palace Oman.
won“t forget that place in a hurry. Built for an OPEC meeting in the late 70s.
Great place for dinner if your nightstopping seeb.

VnV2178B
4th Oct 2000, 21:27
Half Moon Club, Montego Bay, so quiet and even your friends can't get through to you on the phone.
Also would be ideal if anyone wants to do a remake of 'The Prisoner' (all white walls, golf-carts and gate men with 'HM Security' on their T-shirts, kept expecting them to say 'Be seeing you' as we went past !)

Anne T Skidtest
5th Oct 2000, 02:37
What about the Giant Arab Taco Shell by the beach in Dubai?

Rollingthunder
5th Oct 2000, 06:46
Haven't found it yet.

con-pilot
5th Oct 2000, 23:06
Santa Clara, Cartegna Col.

A true great hotel. Was first built around the 1600s as a church, then was a hospital and then a convent. Completely remodled inside and out in 1997.

In the main bar on the ground floor there are stairs that go down into a crypt. During the renovation the bodies of six or seven nuns where found. They were removed and rebuired at a nearby church. You can go down into the crypt and have your picture taken.

The Sleeping Pax
6th Oct 2000, 11:27
The Best Business Hotel: The Regent, Bangkok.
The Best Family Run Hotel: Salston Manor, Devon.
The Best Luxury Hotel: Al Bustan Muscat Oman. Sumptious is the only work to describe the place.
The Best Resort Hotel: Rarotongan Beach Resort Cook Islands. My Wife, Son and I had a wonderful weeks stay there and were very reluctant to leave. Everything was done for us in a very discreet and unobtrusive manner. Highly reccommended if you ever get the chance.

Firestorm
6th Oct 2000, 13:00
My Mums home.

Food is cooked and the washing up is done,; you throw your clothes near the laundry pile and they find their way back to your room washed and ironed. It's free, infact they usually press a discrete £20 into my hand when I leave 'to buy yourself a treat with'... http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

flapsforty
6th Oct 2000, 20:41
True, nothing beats Mum's! :)
But after that, I'd have to split my vote evenly between the Amstel Hotel in (obviously :) ) Amsterdam, and the Al Bustani.

The interior of the Al Bustani is heaven to a womans eye, anything they could colour coordinate they bl**dy well have, all the rooms are done in different styles and the bath towels are the fluffiest anywhere ever. In fact, for years in our house there was a picture on the dinner table of myself reclining by the pool of the Al Bustani, to which, acccording to the kids, Mr40 always referred as "Mum at work" :)

The Amstel, while a bit more formal in style of decoration, is also a gorgeous place. Rooms all different here as well, lots of funny nooks and crannies, romantic views over the Amstel river and the city of AMS. Service unobtrusive but very smooooooooth, beds sent down from heaven and the best shower bar none. Shower head size of a bucket, and the hot water comes down like a torrential downpour! Feeling is believing!

But yeah, nothing beats Mum's! :)

StressFree
6th Oct 2000, 23:00
The finest has got to be:
The Abou Nawas in Tunis, this gaff is the dogs bolloc*s, sheer luxury.

------------------
'Keep the stress down'

GalleyWench
6th Oct 2000, 23:00
Firestorm, Does your mums place have any vacancies?

traveler
6th Oct 2000, 23:07
I'm sure there are lots of nice ones I haven't been to yet, but I'm not done yet !
These I liked, .. A lot.

1. The Halekulani, Waikiki. http://www.halekulani.com/accom.html

2. Westin Maui. http://hawaii-vacation-homes.com/westinprince.html

3. Kona Village, the big island. http://www.konavillage.com/reservations.html#views

Check 6
7th Oct 2000, 12:46
My nominations are:

1. Necker Island, British V.I. Richard Branson built this wonderful place as his 75 acre getaway, but later made it available to the public. Fortunately I was able to stay there for free, as I operated a helicopter on/off the island. Heaven!!

2. Peter Island, also in the British V.I. this 1100 acre island is owned/operated by the US Amway Corporation. Very lovely indeed.

Check 6

------------------
Kick the tires, light the fires, first off is lead, brief on guard.

GearOff
7th Oct 2000, 14:35
Sheraton Hotel & Towers - Suzhou, China

Absolutely unbelievable. Modelled on the Forbidden City. Talk about a contrast too, across the road from a traditional Chinese style dentist and some very grey buildings.

gravity victim
8th Oct 2000, 01:34
Sheraton San Cristobal,Santiago. Especially in the last week of November when they have the college leaving-do cocktail parties by the pool. More stunning girls in party frocks you will never see.. :)

pjdj777
8th Oct 2000, 21:17
47 Park Street
London

They don't call it a Hotel, it's "a place where people stay" (mostly millionaire rock stars etc).

Been there several times for work - never stayed there, just for meetings/interviews etc. Too posh for words.

VERY nice sarnies too!!

Wycombe
9th Oct 2000, 00:32
Personal favourites from my worldwide travels:

Sheraton Lagoon - Nusa Dua, Bali

The ANA - Sydney (views from our room on 25th floor over the harbour breathtaking)

Beachcomber Island - Fiji (not at all luxurious, but the experience of a lifetime)

jetjackel
9th Oct 2000, 22:06
Hyatt Regency Thessaloniki. Manila Midtown Manila. Definitly not the Zurich Airport Movenpick.

The Guvnor
12th Oct 2000, 11:44
Aux Quatre Saisons, Oxford and the Hyatt Regency, Singapore would be high on that particular list for me.

For 'resort' type hotels, nothing beats The Royal Palm in Grand Baie, Mauritius. However, even with industry discounts, a rool (well, actually a Boma/chalet call it what you will) works out at around £1,000 per night so it's something I won't be doing too often.

------------------
:) Happiness is a warm L1011 :)

Tricky Woo
13th Oct 2000, 16:45
Nice hotels...?

Hotel Arts in Barcelona.
Soho Grand in Manhattan.

jdoe
13th Oct 2000, 20:53
Pangkor Laut Resort-Pangkor Island (Malaysia)
Horstman House-Whistler
Le Vendome Intercontinental-Beirut
The bay- Camps Bay Cape Town

What about the worst hotel!!!

jdoe
13th Oct 2000, 20:59
Pangkor Laut Resort-Pangkor Island (Malaysia)
Horstman House-Whistler
Le Vendome Intercontinental-Beirut
The bay- Camps Bay Cape Town

What about the worst hotel!!!

jdoe
13th Oct 2000, 21:11
sorry I hadn't scrolled down!!

Latte tester
15th Oct 2000, 05:29
Peninsula Hotel, Manila
Sheraton Orchid, Bangkok
Hilton Hawaiian Village, Waikiki
Any place close to the beach, bar or a combination of both :) :) :)

ETOPS
16th Oct 2000, 15:02
In terms of European Cities the best has to be the Hotel D'Angleterre in Copenhagen. I've no idea what we were doing staying there it was way way above our usual standard! The next closest is the Intercontinental in Vienna - really nice.