PDA

View Full Version : Jumpseat confusion.

Skunkworks
3rd Oct 2000, 15:48
Am I the only one who thinks that jumpseating refers to being able to, as a crew member, travel for FREE.

All these postings about "flightdeck visits", cant they be call just that?

(the whole issue of jumpseating in Europe deserves further discussion, but I'll save that for another day)

B727
3rd Oct 2000, 18:34
Here here. Couldn't agree more.

B727

mutt
3rd Oct 2000, 23:15
Skunkworks,

What makes you think that we weren't talking about using the jumpseat as a method of free travel???

Mutt.

Skunkworks
4th Oct 2000, 16:32
Well Mutts, I know you have gone over this before. But, nothing has changed. For starters look at the following topics, that are on this page today.

Jump Seat Request BA1616 & BA1621

Jump Seat Etiquette

BAW213 Jumpseat

And if you do a search there are hundreds more. 90% of these start something like:

"I am currently working on my PPL, and I am going to Mallorca (with my parents) on flight xx. Is there any chance of riding along in the cockpit for t/o and ldg."

I am not against "FLIGHT DECK VISITS", (rather the opposite). I think its a fun and educating way to learn more about aviation, and I happily accept visitors when Im flying.

The only point is, if there is a way of making it easier (at least for my already confused mind...) to tell the diffrence between the two!?

/Skunks

Luftwaffle
5th Oct 2000, 02:36
Sure Skunkworks, we wannabees can call it a flight deck visit, but then how wll we distinguish between flight deck visits ("Wow what a lot of switches! You sure have a good view. Where are we right now? Ooh, better get back to my seat, the movie is starting. Thank you Captain.") and what we call jumpseat rides, ("Excuse me Captain, I occupy the 'plankton' end of the aviation food chain. Could I please please ride in the jumpseat for this leg? I understand about sterile cockpits and I promise not to drool on the FMC.")

Maybe "flight deck visit" versus "flight deck hajj"? :)

DOC.400
6th Oct 2000, 00:42
Hey Skunk. I was invited by an old school pal of mine for the ride to Ibiza and back -what do u call that?

mutt
6th Oct 2000, 03:04
Just to give our American friend a break ……

In the USA, crewmembers can get FREE jumpseats on other airlines when they show up in uniform with proper identification.

In Europe, they cant.

In the USA, passengers CAN’T normally access the cockpit.

In Europe, they can.

I believe that Skunkworks is American, he would therefore consider any reference to a jumpseat to mean free access to crewmembers. While the majority of Ppruners are in the UK, talking about jumpseats normally means that you have access to the aircraft anyway, (i.e. ticketed passenger) and you just wish to visit the cockpit.

Make sense?????

Mutt :)

[This message has been edited by mutt (edited 05 October 2000).]

Skunkworks
6th Oct 2000, 15:25
First of all - I am NOT American!

I used to fly in the US, which in my opinion has many advantages - among which "jumpseating" is one of the greatest!

However, I personally prefer living in Europe. And it would be even better living here with a similar system of being able to commute to work, for FREE! (Im trying not to get started on this topic...yet!)

Doc.400, I call that...a good friend! (who gave you a prepaid ticket OR he's an even better friend who's ¤#%&-ing the tax-man!)

/Skunks

McD
7th Oct 2000, 08:39
Skunks,

Even though Mutt may have incorrectly guessed your nationality, don't overlook the rest of his post. He's exactly correct when he says that the confusion lies in the two very different definitions of "jumpseat".

Your goal of living in one area in Europe and commuting to another via jumpseat would probably require something of a Reciprocal Jumpseat Agreement between airlines (like we Yanks have here in the states). I could be wrong, but I don't believe that any jumpseat agreements exist among European airlines (and again, that's probably due to the different definition of "jumpseat" there). Are you a member of a pilot union? Is there any possibility of jumpseat negotiations in the future?

In the meantime, what about commuting on your own airline? Does your company fly between your domicile and your preferred residence? If not, does it fly anywhere close to it? Do you get reasonable travel benefits with your company?

Another thing to think about: commuting isn't always a good thing - - have you done it before? You're always away from home a few more days per month, simply to get to and from work (with the usual inherent delays). I'm not saying this to discourage you, just to make sure you know that there are pros and cons.

Good luck, wherever you live! Hope something works out for you.

Skunkworks
8th Oct 2000, 15:12
McD, thats the point, that there are two very different ways of defining it.

My question was - is there a way to make future postings more clear? (or should I take it that jumpseating on this forum is NOT meaning free crew travel?)

About commuting, I know that its not an ideal situation! BUT, if youre already doing it - its a whole lot better doing it for free!!!

McD
10th Oct 2000, 02:47
Skunk, you're probably just going to have to resign yourself to the dual-definition, and interpret it by the context in which it's used.

(Kind of like a guy who says that he wants a fag. If I'm in the UK, he probably wants a cigarette. If I'm in the states, then he wants something completely different :) )