PDA

View Full Version : Oops! I've Offended Sensitivities Again!

V2-OMG!
17th Jan 2009, 22:01
It would appear some of my TIC (tongue-in-cheek) comments are being taken seriously, and for this, I apologize.

I was under the misunderstanding that most would have the sophisitication to recognize the parody, but the risk of being misinterpreted on the internet has reared its ugly head again. I am referring specifcally to a comment I made in Farrell's thread, "Do you fall into the profile: Air Accident Checklist...."where I replied that Pprune should have a section devoted to air accidents so we could submit our postings "with glee." That was purely TIC but someone took offense to it and "wrung me out" so to speak on another thread which I have just deleted because the picture didn't seem to work anyways.

And no, I do not have a weird fascination with disasters, air or otherwise, which this person felt a need to express in that now-deleted thread, accompanied with the http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/pukey.gif symbol. That person also felt he need to question my participation on a "serious aviation site" as s/he put it. (Sorry, I do not know if this person is a male or female as his/her profile is rather vague).

I think I should explain myself a bit, though. My job involves a lot of research and writing. It is a perfect occupation for someone with a curious mind. I think nothing is more tragic than an airplane crash involving the loss of life - yet why do these crashes always seem to elicit an awful lot of interest? A myriad of books, films, even websites are devoted to them (and any other disaster, natural or manmade for that matter).
Just look at the incredible "success" if I can put it that way over the James Cameron film, "Titanic." To this day, it still is the all-time biggest money-making movie, and I just read somewhere that its artifacts will now be on permanent display in Las Vegas.

This is what I am curious about. I am not an unfeeling or morbid person. A curiosity about the drama of those disasters is only another interest in life. I am only trying to make sense of the senseless. When I can't get my arms around something, I will sometimes resort to a TIC comment.

The "upswing" if I can call it that arising from the aviation disasters is that they are very much a learning experience for all involved, and the victims are often viewed with compassion and respect. I loved what airfoilmod wrote in that regard: "Mistakes don't hurt after awhile, they lose their meaning or become lessons. What remains is the memory of the people, not the errors in judgment that took them from us."

Anyway, my apologies for offending sensitivities.

Your input is always appreciated!
V2.

Parapunter
17th Jan 2009, 22:06
Nice girl. Talks too much.

gingernut
17th Jan 2009, 22:09
I blame the French.

Radar66
17th Jan 2009, 22:22
nah... In this instance I blame the hormones.

corsair
17th Jan 2009, 22:34
The thread isn't deleted just on page two but the reply with the :yuk: you mention is gone.
Don't worry about it. This is the internet, completely misunderstanding something posted is par for the course. Deliberatly misconstruing a comment and then hammering the person who posted it is perfectly normal. This is jetblast after all.

Beatriz Fontana
17th Jan 2009, 22:42
Jetblast... the new therapy...!

Yeek, some would charge a fortune for this sort of service :}

Foss
17th Jan 2009, 22:55
Beatriz, sure if you're writing something sarcasticly or trying to be satirical, stick a wee winky smiley on it. Then you can be told you write flippantly and insensitively really well.

Beatriz Fontana
17th Jan 2009, 23:05
Couldn't agree more, Foss.

V2-OMG!
17th Jan 2009, 23:15
Nice girl(s) and boy(s). Talks too much.
TIC!

cockney steve
17th Jan 2009, 23:22
It's this here new -fangled interweb thingy, where people who would never ever get to meet in real life (well, ok, some of us have had misconnected phone-calls)

The problem is that some people can't adapt and take in the concept that the written word can be misinterpreted.

they need to get up to speed and take a chill-pill, like some of us "old fogeys"...then the world will be a lot more amicable place.

V2....Nil Illigitimi Carborundum.

SyllogismCheck
17th Jan 2009, 23:33
corsair, The post with the :yuk: was mine, and the entire thread is gone, hence my post cannot possibly remain. You must be viewing another.

V2, Whilst have I have a better than average sense of tounge in cheek humour myself, I would have to say that there is a point at which it goes beyond humour and becomes nausiating, offensive and, frankly, sick. References to smashing sandwiches in replication of the twin towers collapse, commenting on aviation disasters, or any disaster for that matter, with 'glee', tongue in cheek especially, and generally corrupting threads on a serious matter, in which only skill, luck and favourable conditions averted the loss of many lives, with banal drivel is entirely inappropriate.

This is a public forum. Some of those reading, and posting, may have lost persons close to them in some of the above mentioned circumstances. Please try, as hard as you can, to imagine that to such people, tongue in cheek or not, it isn't funny.

Clear?

PS. I'm certainly not lacking in sophistication. I feel it's more a case of you lacking in the ability to assess your own writings before submission. Else, why the need for deletion of many of your posts and threads, be it by yourself or the mods?

HINT: Engage brain, maybe, at a stretch, even compassion and understanding, before posting.

Foss
17th Jan 2009, 23:37
V2, you should try writing in txt spk, that'll sort the wht from the cff, bstds will 8 u.

But what syll says is the real point.

JB Mods
17th Jan 2009, 23:57
Ms V2 will be chilling & re-thinking her posting habits for a few days.