PDA

View Full Version : Jump Seat Etiquette

DOC.400
2nd Oct 2000, 17:58
aka Lima Mike.

Done a couple of jump seat landings in the past, am fortunate to have been offered a return trip on a 767 by a pal of mine to Ibiza next Friday.
Apart from not eating beans before the flight and keeping quiet during start up and upto 10,000'(advice on the chat line the other night -thanx chaps!!)is there anything else u would suggest?
I've had a PPL for nearly ten years, IMC and Night rating for 6, so have a fair idea of what's going on.
I've also looked at Jerome Meriwether's site on the 767, so I hope I know what the buttons do to avoid silly questions.

Looking forward to it!!

flapsforty
2nd Oct 2000, 19:03
Hi LM!
Something I always do when jumpseating is keeping an ear out for ATC calling our flight. That way I know when to shut up, even in mid sentence. :)
Enjoy your trip!
f40

TPuk
2nd Oct 2000, 20:32
(This advice has been given to me in the past by a very well known pilot around here!)

You could offer to help the cabin crew tidy the cabin during the turn around. Even if they don't take you up on your offer it will put you in their good books - and you won't be left standing there feeling like a spare part during the (often very hectic) turn around.

Probably the most important point has already been raised by flapsforty. It is important to learn the flight's call sign before you take off, and to listen out for it during conversation. (It's quite a knack to be holding reasonably intelligent conversation whilst monitoring maybe two different frequencies on the radio!)

If you've been told not to talk until 10,000', then thats probably what you should do. However, the airline I have been with recently operates a "sterile flight-deck" until 20,000' - which seems more realistic.

There isn't really a lot more to it, the rest is very often common sense. By that I mean things like greeting the other members of the crew and letting them know you appreciate their hospitality etc.

Above all, enjoy it! It is a reasonably rare, and fantastic opportunity. I don't think I'll ever tire of riding on the jump seat - that is of course, until I sit in the right hand seat!

TPuk

fly4fud
2nd Oct 2000, 20:37
Hey, I guess all basic advice is already covered now.

I could add not to hinder the service, e.g. help pass the food (if any...) trays.
Also study the mechanism of the seat harness buckle. Most airliners have side belts/scrotch belt/shoulder belts. When you turn the release handle, it frees all ends (but for the one it is attached to). To feel more confortable, during climb or cruise, most pilots release only the shoulder belts. This can be achieved by pushing a release tab (or lever) located on the top of the buckle, just behind the shoulder belts inserts.

Have fun and enjoy http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

Lawyerboy
2nd Oct 2000, 20:46
Sorry to hijack an eminently sensible thread, but just thought I'd take this opportunity to vent a little; I missed out on a jumpseat ride last week on an easyJet flight to Athens by Stelios deciding he wanted to go himself on that very flight. I mean, really. Hogging the jumpseat like that. Does the man have no concept of customer relations at all?!?

:) :) :)

DOC.400
2nd Oct 2000, 20:56
Thanx chaps! Keep it coming!!
I'm almost dissapointed. All these sensible replies and nothing facetious (apart from the beans!)
Tee Hee!

redsnail
3rd Oct 2000, 00:51
To increase you chance of staying for the landing etc.
Avoid phrases like these....
"gee, you guys don't look busy?"
"I reckon I could do better, I use MS Flight sim"
"Gee, bet you get paid heaps"
Asked to the FO "So, are you just learning to fly?"
Asked to any Turboprop pilot " When are you going to get an airline job?"
Cheers :)

------------------
reddo
A Feral Animal.

mutt
3rd Oct 2000, 15:52
Don't get drawn in to a religious discussion with the first officer.
Don't break the jumpseat and end up having to remove the retaining pins with a fire axe during descent into LHR.
Don't get shocked if you wake up to find one of the crew asleep. (Their co policy permitted it.)
Don't try to hit on a FA that turns out to be the Captain's wife.
Enjoy yourself.

Finally, try to wear black slacks and a white shirt so that you look as if you belong there.

Mutt

Conky Joe
3rd Oct 2000, 17:47
Sounds like you're speaking from experience, Mutt!? :)

driftdown
4th Oct 2000, 00:09
Please do not ask if all these buttons are used - well dodgy

Enjoy

Driftdown

Buffy Summers
4th Oct 2000, 01:23
And finally, lets face it, pilots like to talk about the job and about themselves and how they got into flying.
If I take a friend on a jumpseat (always cleared beforehand with the Captain) I always tell them to ask the Captain any questions they may have, like technical stuff or whatever. Don't get too deep into the technicalities though.
So even if you think you know what the system is and how it works, it is worth asking the pilots.
I prefer someone to ask stuff rather than sit there keeping quiet the whole flight.
Take an interest but realise that some of the stuff is really going to be not relevant. They know you are a PPLer so know you know some stuff already.

I mean, don't start querying the approach briefing, perhaps listen in and then on the way back, if you want to know more, ask then.
It might be worth asking your mate to do you a photocopy of the relevant approach/airport plates, it makes it more interesting if you can see the approach they are doing.

Some pilots will chat briefly to you in the climb and descent, if you reply just keep it short.

And never, ever, say "have you ever crashed" or "have you seen any UFOs" and to the FO never say "so when do you get to be a pilot then?".
Thanks.

Oh yes, and don't get in the way of the cabin crew either during the flight or on the turnaround or you will be extremely unpopular!

airbourne
7th Oct 2000, 11:56
Well, I have always been told to refer to the Cpt. as Captain or Skipper, but what do you refer to the F/O as Junior??

Also ask the Cpt, has he heard of PPrune and then tell how much everyone bi tchs about his airline.

But seriously,

Try to find out the head Cabin crew's name and thank her personally on the turn around or on the way out, you get a lot further just being nice and it doesnt cost you anything.

AB

Mmmmnice
7th Oct 2000, 19:15
If you ever end up in the JS of a tasty green military six-blade make sure you take your sense of humour, enough kit for several hours in the middle of nowhere, sweeties for the crew and your own lunch! Don't ever wake up the front end if they are having a nap, and enjoy listening to at least 4 radios simultaneously. Always ask questions, and if you are a lady you may well be offered the "I'll hold your knees while this turbulence hits us" service from the one who isn't holding the controls. If you want to know if they've ever crashed before then the direct approach is probably best. Finally don't hold out much hope for an upgrade - this is as good as it gets! Enjoy

DOC.400
8th Oct 2000, 11:22
FEEDBACK

All so true!!

Had a glorious flight out and back to Ibiza on Friday. Visibility excellent, almost a VFR flight!
Entertaining visual approach into Ibiza right up the tookey of an Iberian F50 that couldn't get out of the way of our 767 quick enough. We were visual with him from 12 miles, him doing 22kts and us over 400. But Spanish ATC as usual had us drag around downwind behind him with dunlops and flaps down. Skipper reckoned it cost at leat 800kilos of fuel.
Crew even had me reading out the check lists on the return leg and working French radio!! No sweat!
Cabin crew superbly attentive and procession of coffee tea and food from start to finish.
Very impressed with the proffesionalism of ground crew, cabin and flight deck crew alike.
I must have been OK as I was asked when I'd like to come again!!
again,thanx 4 all your advice!