PDA

View Full Version : Source(s) for an Assigned Altitude Indicator?

Tinstaafl
17th Jan 2009, 05:08
I'm after an Assigned Altitude Indicator (there may have been a clue in the thread title...).

So far I've only been able to find one seller online - and they want over $50 dollars for the thing. One of the push button types they have, although a rotary wheel type would also be satisfactory. I've seen various versions including modular to allow you to choose the number of digits.

I'm in the US now and the only equivalents here ('altitude reminders' in the local vernacular) are electronic & cost a few hundred dollars or more although I have seen a portable one with a similar concept to the type common in Oz. Hundreds of dollars + fitting is not what I'm able spend of the aircraft owner's money considering they're not a requirement for IFR here.

Anyone have any links to or contacts for one or more sources? And an idea of typical prices now? Ideally I'd like look at the various models that are currently or previously available. Second hand would be OK too if it works properly and doesn't look ratty.

Unhinged
17th Jan 2009, 07:15
Go to Fry's (or any other nearby electronics supermarket) and buy some 10 position, push-button rotary switches. They're exactly what I was supplied by a pilots supply shop last time we needed altitude indicators. You can choose how many digits you need, and they're cheaper too.

Peter Fanelli
17th Jan 2009, 10:28
Some on ebay at the moment

EECO Switch 177604G Resistor Decade 10 Positions - eBay (item 120278672465 end time Jan-26-09 19:40:10 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/EECO-Switch-177604G-Resistor-Decade-10-Positions_W0QQitemZ120278672465QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Connect ors_Switches_Wire?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116)

Tinstaafl
20th Jan 2009, 15:19
Great idea! Went to our local electronics surplus shop and got a second hand 5 position pushwheel switch in good condition for a massive US$4.26. Now to find a moment without my two year old to fit it.

NB: I found some thumbwheel switch manufacturers online, one of whom has several models that have an option for internally lit numerals. That would have been great but not for US$50 per digit position!

Clearedtoreenter
20th Jan 2009, 18:08
Searched everywhere for one of those. Most of the aircraft supplies places had them but were quoting rediculous prices for a crappy piece of plastic. Got one from Concept at BK, $29 for a 3 digit version. They also had 4 digit for more money. Its actually some kind of el cheapo electrical switch with contacts on the back - could probably get something similar from Tricky Dickie's for less.

Jabawocky
21st Jan 2009, 11:02
I paid $50 including delivery for a 4 digit one, and yes when it arrived it was a BCD switch.

You can buy them from Jaycar as single digits and clip as many together as you please!

Jaycar Electronics (http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SR1250&CATID=&keywords=bcd&SPECIAL=&form=KEYWORD&ProdCodeOnly=&Keyword1=&Keyword2=&pageNumber=&priceMin=&priceMax=&SUBCATID=)

$32 for 4 digits! :ugh:

J