PDA

View Full Version : Installing an ejection seat in a road vehicle

Self Loading Freight
16th Jan 2009, 23:59
So, we're having a discussion on how to one-up an acquaintance who makes a great deal of his Aston Martin, to general annoyance. We thought the best way would to also have an Aston Martin, but with ejector seats.

There are various practical issues here, mostly involving becoming stupidly rich, but what concerns us most is whether it's legal to do this. Do you need a licence for the ordnance in a Martin Baker? If you eject, can you be done for driving without due care and attention, since your vehicle is no longer under your control, or have you in fact stopped driving and thus no longer in danger of the appropriate statute?

Any advice welcome.

R

con-pilot
17th Jan 2009, 00:17
Just don't eject under a bridge or while in a tunnel. :p

tinpis
17th Jan 2009, 00:37
They are fitted to all Toyota troopies in the communities here
When they have a rolllover (frequent) it seems they eject about 20 passengers

Self Loading Freight
17th Jan 2009, 00:37
We thought of that - and overhead powerlines, ends of runways, and so on. GPS database of overhead peril linked to a seat defeat mechanism should do it. Or you get the GPS to do avoidance routing.

That and upward facing seatcam linked to image recognition (some of the new stuff is pretty impressive in real time) and thrust vectoring.

R

Rollingthunder
17th Jan 2009, 00:51
Hell, I had one installed in my office. Nothing sharpens the mind like.......

Davaar
17th Jan 2009, 01:24
Can you be sure the car will not hit the school?

birrddog
17th Jan 2009, 01:29
Just don't eject under a bridge or while in a tunnel. :p

Though that might be the perfect time to eject your passenger...

I'm just saying..... ;)

airfoilmod
17th Jan 2009, 01:31
That costs MORE. Standard is it only won't hit hospitals.

BlueDiamond
17th Jan 2009, 01:46
... or orphanages. :(

Would you be planning a landing using a parachute or some other means? With the aircraft ejection seats, you'd need to be above a certain height or altitude from the ground or there wouldn't be time for the 'chute to be effective. Does that mean that a car ejection seat would have to attain a greater "height" than an aircraft one? (Given that the aircraft is always at least some way above the ground.)

birrddog
17th Jan 2009, 01:48
Bluey, Aircraft ejection seats work from Ground Level....

Didn't you watch Die Hard II ? ;)

BlueDiamond
17th Jan 2009, 02:23
Didn't you watch Die Hard II ?
No darls ... saw the first one though! :O That scene with the feet and the glass ... ow, ow, ow!!!

Had no idea the seats worked from ground level! There ya go, you learn something new every day on this site. :ok:

indiscipline_girl
17th Jan 2009, 02:43
Now this one I'm particularly keen about. You see the gear lever here?

Now, if you take the top off, you'll find a little red button.

Whatever you do, don't touch it!

And why not?

Because you'll release this section of the roof and engage and fire the passenger ejector seat.

Ejector seat! You're joking.

I never joke about my work.

airfoilmod
17th Jan 2009, 03:07
Me Welsh relative, Q. Ah you expect me to talk? No, I expect you to die. That would be Gert Frobe. (Why do I know this.)

chuks
17th Jan 2009, 06:13
Gert Frobe was Welsh? I wondered what that accent was!

Why not just trick out a bog standard seat with yellow and black loops of hose fixed to its headrest and put big, red, stick-on triangles on the car's doors?

Then you should probably take some more tape to mark the area on the roof that should be blown out to clear the way for the seat and its occupant to go heavenwards along with "WARNING: PYROTECHNIC DEVICE!" That should do the job, along with telling your victim that you are waiting for the CAA to sign off on final approval for seat activation.

Ogre
17th Jan 2009, 08:17
A lot of modern ejection seats are classed as "zero zero" seats, which means they can be used at zero knots and zero altitude. In the old days you had to be above a certain speed and or altitude not so much to eject but to be ejected away from the aircraft. The last thing you want is to go up away from disaster only to come back down on top of it!

Ejection seats in cars are a novel idea, but I reckon you'll have a load of paperwork to get the licences to carry pyros on the public highway!

Dr Jekyll
17th Jan 2009, 09:08
There are plenty of pyros in car airbags.

blue up
17th Jan 2009, 09:31
You know you simply MUST buy a handfull of these . Stick one on every time he removes an old one....

EJECTION SEAT STICKER car case decal ejector mod pc on eBay, also, Aircraft Parts, Aircraft Aviation, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 09-Feb-09 08:15:00 GMT) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EJECTION-SEAT-STICKER-car-case-decal-ejector-mod-pc_W0QQitemZ250323664651QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CPV_Aviation_S M?hash=item250323664651&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 )

Avitor
17th Jan 2009, 09:46
Wait until you've passed the field with an irate Bull in it.

tony draper
17th Jan 2009, 09:55
Hmm, sounds like it would be a bit like the Vulcan,in case of trouble the driver gets out but the folks in back are fecked.:rolleyes:

BombayDuck
17th Jan 2009, 10:01
Been done already!

Cut-price James Bond car, on Top Gear (youtube) (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RUe_7-j4qpI)

old,not bold
17th Jan 2009, 10:27
Then there's the "Triple Zero" ejection seat, patented in Russia.

Zero Speed, Zero Height, Zero Survival.

dogeared
17th Jan 2009, 11:45
Ive seen the real Aston Martin here
Cars of the Stars (http://www.carsofthestars.com/)
I'm not the brightest star in the sky but the sun roof that only cover two thirds of the roof on the passenger side would make me a little bit sus if i was a bady getting in it.
I worked with a chap who ate lots of baked beans,He had a far cheaper way of getting people out of his car.

clicker
17th Jan 2009, 12:08
and put big, red, stick-on triangles on the car's doors?

I fitted said sticker to my pax door on my first car, use to get a few grins when people saw it when stuck in traffic queues leaving airshows.

Was once asked by a idiot if they were fitted both sides but he was a Farmer Giles type.

Peter Fanelli
17th Jan 2009, 12:37
Mythbusters did it with compressed air in a Toyota Corona

Davaar
17th Jan 2009, 16:21
Ho! Hum! This is all such old hat.

For a photograph of Squadron Leader J S ("FiFi") Fifield, RAF, ejecting from a Meteor at ground level (as in "on the runway") on 3 September, 1955, turn to Google, "Squadron Leader Fifield", <http://ejectorseats.co.uk/The-Chalgrove-Meteor>.

One remembers S/Ldr Fifield.

Saab Dastard
17th Jan 2009, 19:53
A lot of modern ejection seats are classed as "zero zero" seats, which means they can be used at zero knots and zero altitude.

Zero knots and zero altitude means parked, doesn't it? Why not just get out normally? ;)

Zero knots or zero altitude makes it a bit different!

SD

henry crun
17th Jan 2009, 20:18
An interesting point SD, surely there is no realistic difference between one and the other.

I am trying to think of a situation where an aircraft that needs a zero/zero seat would be stationary other than when parked.
There might be others but the only one that comes to mind at present is at the top of a hammerhead stall.

A friend of mine once came to a stop after having suffered an u/c collapse, the aircraft was a roaring inferno and there was 20mm ammo cooking off.
He was at zero height and had zero speed, and if the aircraft had been equipped with a zero/zero seat he would have used it rather than just getting out normally through the flames and exploding ammo. :p

Davaar
17th Jan 2009, 20:43
Though probably, henry, no more quickly one way than the other.

G-CPTN
17th Jan 2009, 21:47
When the Triumph Herald 12/50 (an up-specced version of the Triumph Herald) was introduced, I sat in one. On the fascia (dashboard or instrument panel) was a knob with a picture of a seat with arrows surrounding it. Looking up I saw a fabric panel (sunroof) - this was one of the extras.
http://www.motorbase.com/uploads/2005/01/06/tn_lady_henrietta_front.jpg
In view of the recent James Bond film, I decided that this was not a knob to be touched!

(I later discovered that this knob controlled heater air distribution - or more probably cold air into the 'cockpit'.)

wiggy
18th Jan 2009, 09:27
Why the need for zero/zero?

Well fire on the ground is a good example - despite Davaars comment it sure as heck would be quicker to eject than go through the manual egress process.

As far as I recall it one of the main drivers for the capability was the demand for the Carrier community for a way out should the aircraft be about to roll over the side with you strapped in....it's been done and I'm sure someone will kindly find a link to a suitable video.

Also the extra shove gives slightly more of a capability against high sink rates.

As far as I understand it zero/zero was not designed to get stop you dropping back onto the crash site ( someone's previous post )....you need the extra shove to get the extra height to get adequate airflow to get the chute deployed before you end up back at ground level again....

Davaar
18th Jan 2009, 11:26
despite Davaars comment

Well, yes, it was made a little tongue in cheek, but not wholly. One colleague ditched a Firefly, AS7 as I recall. The tale ran that after a successful ditching, which was not really recommended as a pastime, the Firefly migtht float for about 11 seconds, max. Naturally there was great interest in how it had all gone, especially that bit about the 11 seconds.

His response: "Look! Long before those 11 seconds had elapsed, I was out of that Firefly, I had run 100 yards across the og, and I was comfortably in my K-type dinghy watching the aircraft sink".

Saab Dastard
18th Jan 2009, 12:38
Guys, my comment was so tongue in cheek that a team of surgeons are labouring to remove the one from the other!

:)

SD

tony draper
18th Jan 2009, 12:44
Wasn't there at least one ejection seat that deployed in a downward direction?
:uhoh:

fleigle
18th Jan 2009, 12:53
That had to be the helicopter version Drapes !!!:)

fleigle
18th Jan 2009, 12:55
Developed after the conventional "first version" took off too many pilot parts.:E

Dr Jekyll
18th Jan 2009, 13:04
The early Starfighters had downward seats to prevent the pilot hitting the tail. Later ones had upward seats, so a crisis on takeoff or landing no longer meant having to roll inverted before ejection. Though at least one pilot forgot this in the heat of the moment...................

Davaar
18th Jan 2009, 13:41
I am trying to think of a situation where an aircraft that needs a zero/zero seat would be stationary other than when parked.

....... or the quite well-known cases in which aircraft and pilot were steadily descending into the ocean deep, and the water-pressure made it impossible to get rid of the canopy.

As I recall the tale, one chap in the 50s got a wet squirt off the bow of a carrier and plopped right into the og.

He must have been a cool, in fact heroic, customer. He reflected that if he got out he would pop up like a cork into 20,000 tons of aircraft carrier at 30 kts, and the carrier would win. Better to stay where he was until the carrier passed; so he waited until he heard/felt the screws pass overhead, and then tried to jettison the hood. By that time the water-pressure made it unjettisonable.

What to do? Eject! So he did, through the canopy and its bubble of air, encased in tons of salt water. The explosion of the cartridge, thus contained, did eject him, but with an unexpected back-pressure that hit him on the chest like a hammer, collapsing his lungs.

Up he did pop, and was picked up none, as the tale was told, the worse. The lung-collapse was unexpected but, as they say, a blessing in disguise. The blow to his lungs instantly expelled just about all the air in them, with the result that they did not explode with "bends" in his ascent. The little amount that did remain expanded quite nicely to meet his needs.

johngreen
18th Jan 2009, 16:34
Not exactly a zero zero but surely near enough to validate the concept.
I wonder if a third zero was found in the pilots underwear after this event.

LiveLeak.com - F-15 HUD Emergency Landing. (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=8df_1205185501)

JG

tony draper
18th Jan 2009, 16:50
As me old Grandpappy used ter say,"son never step inside anything that needs a ejector seat"
:E

Davaar
18th Jan 2009, 17:19
And as Flying Officer R***** D*****, RAF, said to his class in 1956: "This, gentlemen, is the Vickers Supermarine Swift, of which it has truly been said: 'They will never strap D*****'s arse to one of these'".

I took a note at the time.