PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Atlantic airport upgrades

Jinkster
16th Jan 2009, 10:23
Thinking of booking standard economy tickets to the USA in November.

Does anyone know what the cost of upgrades are at the airport or onboard?

Thanks in advance!

bingo 21
16th Jan 2009, 11:02
i tried that last week, EWR to LHR but was told that could not due to class of ticket booked, used miles + money for ticket.
in the end flight was half full so moved to bulk head seat and had the whole row.

essouira
16th Jan 2009, 17:30
I am flying tomorrow with Virgin on an economy ticket and planned to try and upgrade at the airport. I was told by a colleague that it would cost about £400 return. Does anybody know if this is likely to be available or should I ring today and upgrade on the phone before I check in ?

Jinkster
16th Jan 2009, 17:37
Essouria,

Please let us know when you get back. Have a great trip!

VAFFPAX
16th Jan 2009, 19:00
You might want to call ahead to see if there is PE availability, and if so, how much it might be to upgrade. And yes, you can purchase upgrades at the airport, but they tend to not be all that good price-wise.

S.

essouira
18th Jan 2009, 16:15
Jinkster -
Two days before the flight, through the Virgin website my colleague was quoted £350 return for an upgrade from Economy to Premium Economy.
On the telephone, I was quoted £420. I decided to wait until the airport.
At the airport I was told that there is a flat rate of £300 each way for the upgrade.
So - to answer your original query - it's worth doing your homework before you get to the airport. It may even be cheaper to book a restricted premium economy seat in the first place if you don't need flexibility.
BYW, I stayed in Economy but paid an additional £75 to secure a window seat on an exit row. The extra leg room was well worth it.
Hope this helps.
Essouira

essouira
23rd Jan 2009, 15:20
Coming back from Vegas, the upgrade cost 200 $

Scumbag O'Riley
23rd Jan 2009, 15:58
Probably worth USD 200 if your last night in Vegas was a heavy one!