PDA

View Full Version : PPRUNE performance

vanHorck
16th Jan 2009, 10:44
yesterday evening PPRUNE handled not only 3 times their "normal" level of volume on this forum but in fact beat their all time record of over 7000 simultaneous visitors just after 2300

I noticed nil delays or hiccups.

This allowed the flying community to keep abreast of facts and rumors and undoubtedly informed the press of some important facts (not withstanding some weird comments such as the one from FoxNews that cold water is luckily thicker than warm water....)

Well done guys!

tocamak
16th Jan 2009, 10:47
Well actually at its "thickest" at about 4deg celcius but of course the salinity of the water will influence as well so maybe they should have mentioned that!

Smilin_Ed
16th Jan 2009, 10:48
(not withstanding some weird comments such as the one from FoxNews that cold water is luckily thicker than warm water....)

Well, I'll be........:hmm:

vanHorck
16th Jan 2009, 10:52
he "thickness" of water is an issue of its viscosity.

The viscosity of water is 8.90 10−4 Pas or 8.90 10−3 dyns/cm2 or 0.890 cP at about 25 C.
As a function of temperature T (K): μ(Pas) = A 10B/(T−C)
where A=2.414 10−5 Pas ; B = 247.8 K ; and C = 140 K.

It s time the Americans started being slightly more critical about their news stations....

Radar66
16th Jan 2009, 10:58
That was an AMAZING landing - all kudos and credits to the crew. :D

Good job they missed the school..... :hmm:

However, I have to admit that my initial thoughts upon viewing the images from the news channels was that the number of passengers that WEREN'T wearing life jackets is perhaps indicative of the numbers that don't listen to the safety briefing.... :=

Scumbag O'Riley
16th Jan 2009, 11:00
(not withstanding some weird comments such as the one from FoxNews that cold water is luckily thicker than warm water....)And because air is thinner than both, the most dangerous part of the flight was when they were up in the sky.

So if we consider the nice hard cold surface of the river to be a conveyor belt, would you land with the flow or against it in order to have better chance of survival?

BlueDiamond
16th Jan 2009, 11:03
Good job they missed the school.....
... and the orphanage. Did they do the traditional "plunge?" I bet the newsreaders were somewhat disappointed that "terror" and "panic" were absent and that rescued passengers were describing people's behaviour as "orderly."

west lakes
16th Jan 2009, 11:08
I'm sorry I thought this thread was advertising a live show by the Pprune Mods

I'll go away now shall i?

Howard Hughes
16th Jan 2009, 11:12
It should carry a PG rating then, cause where there are mods, nudity often ensues...:E

PS: I'm glad the mod's missed the school too!:}

frostbite
16th Jan 2009, 13:05
Doesn't anyone care about the hospital they missed?!

Hobo
16th Jan 2009, 13:15
I wonder if any came for 'close knit communities' and were 'struggling to come to terms with what had happened'. They would have had it happened in the UK.

Buster Hyman
16th Jan 2009, 14:39
Out of curiosity, was there a singing Nun on board?:confused:

llondel
16th Jan 2009, 15:07
Of course, if you make water cold enough it freezes, which would make it easier for landing purposes (provided it didn't break). In that case you'd want it to be thicker.

sitigeltfel
16th Jan 2009, 15:38
However, I have to admit that my initial thoughts upon viewing the images from the news channels was that the number of passengers that WEREN'T wearing life jackets is perhaps indicative of the numbers that don't listen to the safety briefing.... :=

I was informed on the R&N thread that a lot of US Regional airlines are not required to carry them. A news report stated that the lifejackets you see some of the pax wearing were thrown to them by the ferry crews who came to their aid.

TBirdFrank
16th Jan 2009, 15:41
I'll bet the passengers thought their fate was sealed or that the pilot did it on porpoise.

Still - they all have a whale of a tale to tell

and in all seriousness are very lucky people!!

Well done Sully!!

birrddog
16th Jan 2009, 17:22
Maybe Mayor Bloomberg will allow us to hunt Geese in NYC County from now on!

Those low flying V formations are such classic presentations!

Flypro
16th Jan 2009, 17:32
I suppose the fish will be offered councelling after this uninvited intrusion into their home!!!!!!!!!

GrumpyOldFart
16th Jan 2009, 17:38
Cod really was looking after them yesterday. And everyone kept so clam!

Radar66
16th Jan 2009, 18:23
I was informed on the R&N thread that a lot of US Regional airlines are not required to carry them. A news report stated that the lifejackets you see some of the pax wearing were thrown to them by the ferry crews who came to their aid.

ah, thanks for that information - I'll shut up and retreat back to my 'non aviation corner' now! :O :ok:

Smilin_Ed
17th Jan 2009, 00:11
So if we consider the nice hard cold surface of the river to be a conveyor belt, would you land with the flow or against it in order to have better chance of survival?

If possible, try to land with the current and into the wind. You'd have to be lucky to be able to do both. Chances are into the wind will give you a lower relative speed compared to the water.

Wod
17th Jan 2009, 03:00
Agree about Pprune responses. No apparent disturbance.

On the issue of life-jackets, my impression from a cursory reading of the mejia is that the first call to the pax was "Brace".

If correct, this would seem to preclude the donning of life-jackets, even if they were carried.

birrddog
17th Jan 2009, 03:47
From the time lines provided so far, a total of 5 minutes from take off to water ditching, it gave the crew 3-4 minutes to plan for the event. Less if you consider ~2min before the water ditching they were considering landing at teterboro.

Not sure when they had time to put everyone in life jackets and move the aft life rafts (exit slides) to the front as was suggested by some...

indiscipline_girl
17th Jan 2009, 05:38
Hank- I have an idea

Chuck- Hey, watch this!

Randy- Oh sh!t

vanHorck
17th Jan 2009, 15:11
Donna - Oops my white stilettos will get wet!