PDA

View Full Version : First Aussie soldier in 40 years gets VC

wessex19
16th Jan 2009, 02:46
Not aviation related but so what, Its Dunnuda & Godzone related. sounds like he is very humble and a good bloke.

Source AAP;

The first Australian soldier to be awarded the Victoria Cross in 40 years does not see himself as a hero.

Trooper Mark Donaldson, 29, says all soldiers are heroes.

The Special Air Service (SAS) soldier was presented the award for his rescue of a coalition forces interpreter from heavy fire in Oruzgan Province in Afghanistan in September.

He said the award was overwhelming and a great honour but it would not change who he was.

"I'm still Mark Donaldson, and we'll keep going from day to day and we'll see how we go," he told reporters after receiving the award on Friday.

"I don't see myself as a hero, honestly.

"I still see myself as a soldier first and foremost."

But Prime Minister Kevin Rudd begs to differ.

He said Trooper Donaldson had joined the list of Australian heroes.

"Generations of school children will now know of the story of Trooper Mark Donaldson," Mr Rudd said.

"It is a story of a hero, one which will be told in classrooms, workplaces and watering holes for many years to come."

"His feat under fire now becomes the stuff of Australian legend."

Trooper Donaldson, who is married and has one daughter, paid tribute to all Australian soldiers.

"Every single one of our soldiers that are there serving for the nation are heroes," he said.

The SAS soldier also became the first person to receive the Victoria Cross for Australia - the nation's highest military honour - established in 1991 to replace the Imperial VC awarded previously to 96 Australians since the Boer War in 1900.

Trooper Donaldson said he had not really thought about the danger when he went to rescue the stricken interpreter.

"I'm a soldier ... I'm trained to fight, that's what we do, it's instinct and it's natural and you don't really think about it at the time," he said.

"I just saw him there, I went over there and got him, that was it."

Trooper Donaldson said he understood the interpreter had made a full recovery.

He was touched to receive the medal, describing the ceremony as "quite emotional and quite overwhelming".

"It's very humbling and really makes you sit back and take a look at yourself."

Trooper Donaldson hopes to return to Afghanistan later this year.

He has not decided where to keep the medal, but "probably somewhere pretty safe".

Trooper Donaldson's wife says the hero has long been married to the army.

A beaming Emma Donaldson said she was proud of her husband.

"He was married to the army before he married me, and I support him all the way," she told reporters after the ceremony.

There were nervous moments being an army spouse, Ms Donaldson admitted.

"It has its moments, but I know what he's like as a person and I know the guys he works with and they train ridiculously hard all the time.

"So I have the utmost faith that they will all get back in some form or another."

When asked if she would tell her husband to be a little more careful on the battlefield in future, she laughed and said she couldn't ask that of him.

The couple, who live in Perth, have a young daughter Kaylee, who also attended Friday's ceremony.

The investiture at Government House, attended by Governor-General Quentin Bryce and the prime minister was told that on numerous occasions Trooper Donaldson deliberately drew enemy fire in order to allow wounded soldiers to be removed to safety.

"As the battle raged around him he saw that the coalition force interpreter was lying motionless on exposed ground," the governor-general's official secretary Stephen Brady told the gathering.

"With complete disregard for his own safety on his own initiative and alone, Trooper Donaldson ran back 80 metres across exposed ground to rescue the interpreter and carry him back to a vehicle.

"Trooper Donaldson then rejoined his patrol and then continued to engage the enemy while remaining exposed to heavy enemy fire."

Ms Bryce described Trooper Donaldson as an "inspiration".

"We gather around you to distinguish your actions, and to honour the individual they speak of, the person you are, your undertaking, your way of living," she said after the presentation.

"We are here to dedicate your contribution, your unconditional surrender to duty and humanity, your abandonment of your own necessity so that others may be secured."

"By your doing and knowing, you will shoulder more than most. You are the finest example and inspiration.

"Trooper Donaldson, VC, I salute you."

Defence force chief Angus Houston said Trooper Donaldson joined a band of brothers - only 10 VC winners are alive today - so admired for their valour.

"Victoria Cross recipients are at the very core of the ethos of which our military identity has been forged," Air Chief Marshal Houston said.

"We in the modern Australian Defence Force, strive to live up to the heroism, and the values of the Victoria Cross recipients that have gone before us."

In keeping with military protocol the air chief marshall saluted Trooper Donaldson.

"As the highest ranking member of the defence force, there has been no current serving member that I salute, until now," he said.

"Tradition holds that even the most senior officer will salute a Victoria Cross recipient as a mark of the utmost respect for their act of valour."

Opposition Leader Malcolm Turnbull said Trooper Donaldson stood in a great line of courageous soldiers who had won the Victoria Cross.

"You have been in the front line of the battle for freedom, the battle against terrorism, a battle we cannot lose and we will not lose because of brave men like you," he said.

"As the prime minister said, there is no greater honour than wearing the uniform you wear today, serving this nation, and that is why we thank you from the bottom of our heart."

Di_Vosh
16th Jan 2009, 03:47
He was in the SAS! :ok:

Well done!

DIVOSH!

Vref+5
16th Jan 2009, 04:05
In our sanitised world where the word hero is used to desrcibe people who save a kitten from a tree, and people consider a risky activity to be playing the latest car racing computer game, sometimes we need to think of those people standing on the fence genuinely risking their lives to ensure our standard of living is maintained. This is one of those times.

Congratulations mate, and get home safe, unlike so many other VC winners before you.

In accordance with tradition:

"Pprune, Attention, Preesent Arms"

aussie027
16th Jan 2009, 06:22
Mark Donaldson I salute you.
Bloody well done Mate.:ok::ok::D:D

An old style of display of true heroism under fire with no regard for personal safety for which that highest of awards is truly deserved.
Not being wounded or killed during the act is in itself a remarkable achievement as the majority of VCs are usually awarded posthumously.
A true Aussie hero whose name will forever be enshrined with so many other Heroes in the Halls of Valour.
God bless and stay safe Mate (esp since you obviously won't keep your head down)

V ref is totally right, all sorts of people doing very mundane non life threatening things get called 'Heroes" today including sports stars.
That really pisses me off, playing a freakin game usually with a ball of some description does not make them a "Hero" , nor should they be idolized as such, either by adults and esp children..:ugh::mad: Our society really does have its priorities screwed up.:ugh::mad:

Capt Kremin
16th Jan 2009, 06:29
Hear, hear!:D

teresa green
16th Jan 2009, 06:36
And the amazing thing is he is not a Officer. During the two last wars it was a disgrace that getting a gong (not so much the VC) was often based on the family the soldier came from (for the so called upper class it came with the breeding, yes even in this country)and often medals were handed out to the "socially acceptable" for some small act, whilst the foot soldier who gave his all was totally ignored (if you have any doubts ask your dad or grandfather) so congratulations to the Trooper concerned, I wish I had his guts.:D

YoDawg
16th Jan 2009, 07:07
Teresa I'm not sure how old you are and no disrespect is intended but

the two last wars

WWI and II? Here's hoping you're not forgetting Vietnam and Korea but your statement would be wrong wrt those two wars, anyway. Living in the distant past, old-timer. That mindset went out a looooooong time ago. Rorke's Drift anybody??

Hempy
16th Jan 2009, 07:35
I doff's me 'at, Sir.

:D

SIUYA
16th Jan 2009, 09:40
To Trooper Mark Donaldson..........

Congratulations! The recognition of your bravery and totally outstanding service to your comrades, country and its allies is completely deserved.

So too is the recognition and understanding of the difficult and dangerous task that ALL of our special forces soldiers are doing in places like Afghanistan.

I speak with some understanding............my son is one of these very 'special' and dedicated people.

parabellum
16th Jan 2009, 10:55
Teresa Green - What a load of nonsense, how far left of centre do you go?
Please supply some evidence to support your wild claims. Private Speakman, The Black Watch, in Korea wasn't an officer.

Disco Stu
16th Jan 2009, 11:04
Well done Dig.

I formally address compliments to the VC.

Disco Stu
ex Green Machine

PLovett
16th Jan 2009, 12:43
teresa green,
There were 4 Victoria Crosses awarded in the Vietnam war, only one of them was to an officer.

May I repeat the comments made by most of the previous posters to this thread and offer my respects to Trooper Mark Donaldson, an honour well deserved.:ok:

Quokka
16th Jan 2009, 13:33
arkmark,

Actually... in carrying out those actions, he wasn't doing his job as a public servant.

His "job" would have been to stay in position, or to move in such a manner as to perform the tasks that he had been ordered to do. Instead, he chose to leave his position and attempt to save the life of another in such circumstances as would have been seen by those who witnessed it as to have been an impossible feat of achievement. He took a impossible risk, he was correct in taking that risk, he lived... and he saved a life. He then completed his tasks, as a public servant, as ordered.

The honour was awarded for an unsolicited act of initiative whereby the individual had put the value of the life of another human or humans in danger above any concern for their own life.

spleener
16th Jan 2009, 13:35
arkmark - wtf. How many lives have you saved lately? Under fire? Your argument is with the pollies not Real Heros like Trooper Donaldson, VC. Not with Real people.
Then again, arkpersonish, we're all pretty tough heros wielding a keyboard aren't we? Get over yourself - fairly soon please. :ugh:

teresa green
16th Jan 2009, 19:34
I am refering to the two World Wars, not to other fighting, that took place later. I am glad things have changed, but as I said it was common to giveout gongs to the wrong people in both these wars (and I was not refering to the VC so much) Read the posting again.

Capt_SNAFU
16th Jan 2009, 19:48
A very big congratulations to Trooper Donaldson and all his mates who are doing outstanding work in the field.

Teresa green YGTBFSM. The whole concept behind the VC was a medal that did not discriminate for reasons of class or rank. Did some soldiers not get the award who should have, certainly. (Pte Dick Norden in Vietnam for example) Did those who have been awarded them deserve them, most definitely.

Green on, Go!
16th Jan 2009, 20:28
Pity we couldn't even get to the second page before this thread turned into an argument...

Congratulations to TPR Donaldson and the family and unit that supports you. :ok:

RENURPP
16th Jan 2009, 21:09
Never criticise the military or its servants. :=

coke drinker
16th Jan 2009, 22:55
So did he get the VC from the Queen?

And why does the media refer to her as Ms Donaldson when she is quite clearly MRS Donaldson?

porch monkey
16th Jan 2009, 23:06
No, he doesn't get it from the queen. It's actually the Australian VC, different award from the original VC. No less worthy, and is considered the direct replacement for the original. You can thank your republicans and such for the difference.........

P.S. Kinda like why we don't have QC's and such anymore..

Pinky the pilot
17th Jan 2009, 02:32
Also noted the comment in the papers re it being an Australian VC.

A VC is a VC in my book! And well deserved in this case!
Well done Trooper Donaldson.:ok:

Brian Abraham
17th Jan 2009, 03:37
It's actually the Australian VC, different award from the original VC. No less worthy, and is considered the direct replacement for the original.
The two medals (Imperial VC and Australian VC) are identical in appearance, the difference is in name only with "Australia" appended to an Australian award. Is awarded by the G-G, he/she being the King/Queens representative.

sthaussiepilot
17th Jan 2009, 05:35
Congrats, Clearly well deserved :ok:

fence_post
17th Jan 2009, 05:55
The Citation and his Army History can be found on the Victoria Cross Web Site:

VICTORIA CROSS (http://www.victoriacross.org.uk/)

Well Done. You can also read about all other VC Winners of all ranks.

psycho joe
18th Jan 2009, 00:05
May his time here be a long one, and may his hand never grace his pocket again in search of a cold beer.

Does anyone know if this VC is made form cannons captured during the Crimean war as has been the tradition.

Hempy
18th Jan 2009, 01:29
Does anyone know if this VC is made form cannons captured during the Crimean war as has been the tradition.

According to the Government Awards page (It's an Honour Website - Homepage (http://www.itsanhonour.gov.au))..

The Victoria Cross is a Maltese Cross, originally cast in bronze from Russian cannons captured during the Crimea War (1854-1856). Since this source was exhausted in 1914, almost all crosses cast have been from gunmetal of the Chinese trophy cannons at Woolwich Arsenal. They are each handmade by Hancocks and Company (Jewellers) of London.

Going Boeing
18th Jan 2009, 02:11
What a great and deserving man,

I take it that with all this public notoriety, his career as an SAS soldier is at an end and he'll have to transfer to another branch of the Army. Wherever he serves, I wish him a safe and rewarding career.

Trojan1981
18th Jan 2009, 05:07
Never criticise the military or its servants.

True that. It's like a religion.

Regardless of opinion on the war itself;

For the individual acts of bravery, well done:ok:....

Chatz
18th Jan 2009, 08:12
It gave me goose bumps when I first heard, and made me very proud to be Australian. This is a tremendous honour for him to receive, and very well deserved. Congrats.:ok: