PDA

View Full Version : The Pound and Going on Holiday

Flap 5
15th Jan 2009, 12:38
Any of you out there changing your plans for holidays this year because of the low value of the pound? I have discounted europe because the euro / pound rate is so poor. I have been looking at Thailand - it has often been a good deal, even considering the extra cost of a longhaul flight. But the Thai baht is now 50 to the pound, having been around 70 to the pound. Maybe Australia is okay on their currency - but it is a long way with a consideration of more cost on the flight. The US dollar is around 1.45 - so going to the USA is also expensive. What are you all doing?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
15th Jan 2009, 12:49
I spent Crimbo in Spain. It was dreadful; the poor exchange rate meant I was paying nearly UK prices!

IFTB
15th Jan 2009, 12:59
The good thing is...........the stag/hen parties (abroad) have gone down.
It's noticeable quieter in town. :ok:

Avitor
15th Jan 2009, 13:01
I am still going (and all booked up) to my Euro 'infested' destination. ;)

angels
15th Jan 2009, 13:02
Try Turkey.

bnt
15th Jan 2009, 13:07
It's that bad, is it? Maybe it's time for a trip to the UK. :E

fireflybob
15th Jan 2009, 13:40
I am advised that Iceland is very reasonable at the moment!

Scumbag O'Riley
15th Jan 2009, 13:44
It's going to have an impact on our travel with far fewer quick flights to Euroland for the weekend. A good excuse to see some parts of Britain which we haven't visited properly.

sisemen
15th Jan 2009, 14:16
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c92/allan907/AussieFlagr-01.jpg

**** Orf! We're full.

Besides, you'd only want to stay here if you came.

Parapunter
15th Jan 2009, 14:26
I'm going to Liverpool for my hollies this year. Looking forward to it. Drive there, get the train home.

frostbite
15th Jan 2009, 14:26
Overheard a converation between a travel agent and his mate the other day.

Mate says "I suppose your business is suffering the downturn?", ta replied "Far from it, in fact I would say we are busier than this time last year".

radeng
15th Jan 2009, 14:28
siseman

>Besides, you'd only want to stay here if you came.<

Too right, mate

Flap 5
15th Jan 2009, 15:07
It's that bad, is it? Maybe it's time for a trip to the UK. :E

Unfortunately the UK has always been overpriced and poor service compared to somewhere like Thailand. There just aren't the locations to go to any more while the pound is so weak.

Don't be too cocky sisemen. Australia is limited in its appeal - just doesn't have the history or culture. Nice for a while. Not sure about long term though.

BladePilot
15th Jan 2009, 15:15
Staying in is the new Going out
Staying home is the new Going on Holiday

Blackpool's the place to be:ok: in the grip of a reccesion and what with the lousy British weather you won't be queuing for hours to get onto the fairground rides, Bleedin bargain mate innit:)

Beatriz Fontana
15th Jan 2009, 18:19
I couldn't believe it. Drew out 70 euros from a cashpoint in Germany and it came up on my UK bank statement as, wait for it, 67.80!

Eeep!

OFSO
15th Jan 2009, 19:01
La Fontana wrote: I couldn't believe it. Drew out 70 euros from a cashpoint in Germany and it came up on my UK bank statement as, wait for it, 67.80!

That'll serve you, then. You should have taken Deutschmarks !

Ze old German joke: An optimist he say in 2012 a pair of shoes bought in Germany will cost 1000 Deutschmarks. Ze pessimist he say in 2012 a pair of shoes bought in Germany will cost 1000 roubles.

Must be some modification to this joke to make it fit the current situation !

P.S. My wall's still down. Something in common with Berlin, then.

Beatriz Fontana
15th Jan 2009, 21:20
P.S. My wall's still down. Something in common with Berlin, then.

Be careful the locals don't start building all over it... like Berlin.

I'm going back to Gib for the summer - GB Pounds the same as Sterling and all that sun. Downside is that the direct flights from southern UK aren't GB Air anymore, but easyjet...

Paradise Lost
15th Jan 2009, 22:13
The exchange rate in Zim is particularly attractive today....about 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000ZD = GBP1 (roughly the same in Euros if you want to go from the mainland!).

Oops....add another couple of zeros...my typing is SO SLOWWW.

Duff beer
15th Jan 2009, 22:18
South Africa

mtogw
15th Jan 2009, 22:36
As an ex-pat I am still on holiday in the UK and loving it every time I go and change some more Dollars to Sterling
But then again, last christmas I was crying every time I went to change my money, swings and roundabouts.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

airship
15th Jan 2009, 22:58
If you, or anyone else can truly afford to go on holiday to a foreign destination or whatever: what the **** has the exchange rate got to do with it...?!

In case you needed reminding, a lot of folk are currently trying to merely keep a roof over their heads. I just wish I had the gall and insensitivity to post something like you just did here though. :}

Oooops, I forgot. Even if some folks are facing hard times today, they're still a relatively small minority after all. Forget Thailand, why not the Maldives? Or else another Indian Ocean destination - my boss was thinking of the Iles Maurice. Their initial enquiry for 2 weeks in the sun would have cost almost 19,000. Having reconsidered their reqirements (I don't believe that justifying their expenses to other share-holders let alone their employees was ever a real priority), it looks like a 10 day vacation in the same area will cost 'us' only 5,620, including golf green fees etc.

Isn't it great when you can still afford it (your exotic vacation)...?! :ok:

Howard Hughes
15th Jan 2009, 23:55
Don't be too cocky sisemen. Australia is limited in its appeal - just doesn't have the history or culture. Nice for a while. Not sure about long term though.
Geez mate, one can only look at so many cathedrals and ruins too you know. I admit we do not have the more recent civilised culture, but is my understanding that history in Australia predates anything in your cold old hole.:E

Australia isn't a destination, it's a lifestyle choice!:ok:

Flap 5
16th Jan 2009, 09:47
Ah the joys of the Funnel Web Spider and the Box Whatever Jellyfish! The Gafa and sand in your teeth! The two mile wide thread of civilization around the coast! :}

... and we beat you at the olympics. Rub, rub. :}

Howard Hughes
16th Jan 2009, 10:26
You forgot the Sharks, Blue Ringed Octopus, Mouse and Red Back spiders, Taipan and Eastern Brown snakes...:ooh:

Effluent Man
16th Jan 2009, 12:00
I usually head off to France and meander along non toll roads in a generally Southerly direction.There are plenty of adequate hotels where a room costs 60-70 Euros. And as good a dinner as you would want with wine about the same for two.Walking in the mountains is quite cheap. Last summer I explored the Vercors,within sight of the Alps and where The Maquis did battle with the retreating Germans in 1944.By my calculations it will still cost about 100 a day all in.You can keep the trendy locations

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
23rd Jan 2009, 14:48
In case you needed reminding, a lot of folk are currently trying to merely keep a roof over their heads. I just wish I had the gall and insensitivity to post something like you just did here though.

A fair point; up to a point. I have every sympathy for the poor buggers facing redundancy, short time working or the loss of their previously solvent business; I've none at all for the flash ones who've clocked up personal debt to crush depth!

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
23rd Jan 2009, 15:30
Drive there, get the train home.

Very subtle! :D

Storminnorm
23rd Jan 2009, 15:33
What's a HOLIDAY?

goudie
23rd Jan 2009, 15:57
I've been on holiday since I retired 16 years ago.

Flap 5
23rd Jan 2009, 17:01
I am in the position of considering a trip abroad. I don't have to go and I would have booked it already but for the weakness of the pound. It is not the price of the trip itself as I could book and pay for it now. No, it is what the value of the pound will be when I go. Will I be able to buy much when I get there?

Getting my currency now is not a sensible method. I have an account with the Nationwide partly because they charge no commision when you take money out abroad and have a good exchange rate when you do. It is too late now anyway to take out the local currency as the pound is way down already.

However if the pound continues to collapse (as collapse it has) then, having commited myself to a trip abroad I would be exposing myself to a possible very poor exchange rate when I get there.

Is anyone else also balking at booking a trip abroad because they are worried that the pound will fall to a silly value in the near furture?

Roger Sofarover
23rd Jan 2009, 17:16
Never ever buy foreign currency in the UK before you go on holiday. The difference you will get upon arrival at your destination if you wait can be 10-20%. The UK is an utter rip-off when it comes to foreign currency.

Mac the Knife
23rd Jan 2009, 17:32
Luckily I live in the most varied and beautiful country in the world, with mountains, beaches and deserts, with true hospitality, great people, superb wines, excellent cheeses, great seafood and all the wildlife you can enjoy, either by eating or watching.

:ok:

Mac

Beatriz Fontana
23rd Jan 2009, 18:04
Dammit Mac, one can go off some people... :E A beautiful part of the world that's definitely on my visiting wish list.

yakhunter
23rd Jan 2009, 18:56
And South Africa is cheap, unless of course you ad up the cost of bullet proof vests and ammunition and close protection.

oh and you may not get any of your baggage you thought you had packed. it happens !!!

Apart from that it is a FANTASTIC place.:ok:

Flap 5
23rd Jan 2009, 22:38
What I am getting at is that there are people who have to travel anyway. There are people who will always say they will stay at home. But there are those that would like to travel but the exchange rate will make them think twice.

There must be a lot of people in that third category and the travel industry, including airlines, will lose out.

Lon More
23rd Jan 2009, 23:42
Spent the first half of the week in the UK. Everything was really cheap.

I imagine the booze cruizes to france and Belgium will be suffering

Dan Winterland
24th Jan 2009, 03:34
10.77 HK$ to the pound this morning as Sterling heads rapidly towards Andrex status. I'm going to the UK on my holiday as well. It's soooooo cheap! :ok:

Richard Taylor
24th Jan 2009, 07:34
The world will miss the Brits abroad...all that drunken depravity, casual sex, random violence.....uh, where's my nearest travel agent...............:E

BOFH
24th Jan 2009, 11:02
airship

why are you wearing a hair shirt?

Life goes on. As other posters have pointed out, the accommodation in Britain can be so woeful that any benefits of the time off are eradicated by the misery of the roof over your head. Fawlty Towers was a documentary.

A foreign holiday isn't necessarily exotic. I do not find it unreasonable to want to whisk your bride somewhere 'different' from time to time. Fresh linen every night, an interesting restaurant, forgetting about the things that make life a drag - washing, cleaning, ironing, bills - it's invigorating for both of you.

Australia has become too expensive with the collapse of the pound (factoring in the length of the journey). Thailand is (IMHO) the best option (even though the GBP has collapsed even against that), because the accommodation costs can be driven down with some bargaining. Getting a 6,000THB room for 4,000THB might offset the decline in the GBP.

BOFH

Ken Wells
24th Jan 2009, 15:38
stay at home and turn up the heating!

LGS6753
24th Jan 2009, 16:15
City breaks - Chester, York, Harrogate, London, Bath, Bristol, Edinburgh, etc, etc
Beach holidays - Studland, Barra, St Andrews, Holkham, Saunton Sands, etc, etc
Resort holidays - Bournemouth, Brighton, Torbay, Tenby, Scarborough, etc, etc
Walking holidays - Derbyshire Dales, North York Moors, Dartmoor, Lake District, the Monroes, Skye, etc, etc
Stag/Hen parties - Blackpool, Minehead, Great Yarmouth, Skegness, etc, etc
Cultural interest - London, Glasgow (Burrell Collection), Stirling, Stratford, etc etc
Activity holidays - drive Silverstone or Donnington, fly Biggin Hill, run the Three Peaks, cycle the Thames Footpath, etc, etc
Historic interest - Stonehenge, Parliament, Plymouth, Runnymeade; Battle sites at Stamford Bridge, Blaby, Edge Hill, Battle, etc, etc
Wildlife - badgers, foxes, black, red and grey squirrels, kites, buzzards, eagles, owls, wild cats, etc, etc
Days out - Whipsnade Zoo, Alton Towers, Chessington, Duxford, Beamish, etc, etc

And in every case:
- English spoken here
- Your 1 is still worth 1
- Easy access by various modes of travel
- Tropical diseases rare

Why go anywhere else?

BenThere
24th Jan 2009, 16:39
It is a good idea now to travel at home. You support your local economy, connect with your ancestral culture, and enable jobs to continue in the tourist trade to the benefit of the overall national treasury.

I've foresworn Europe and UK since 2005 due to the relative value of the US dollar, but am starting to reconsider. We did a month in Australia and a few domestic and Caribbean vacations instead. A friend is getting married in Ireland next June, and I plan to go.

Today, though, I'm leaving for a week in the Caribbean. A 7 day cruise (balcony stateroom) on Norwegian, positive space air for the wife from Detroit, and a night's hotel in Miami all for under $1,000 US. That seems reasonable to me.

ShyTorque
24th Jan 2009, 19:04
Unfortunately the UK has always been overpriced and poor service compared to somewhere like Thailand.

So is everywhere else... ;)

I'm so desperate I'm even considering Scotland...

Flap 5
24th Jan 2009, 20:23
Again, there are loads of posts saying 'stay here'. Of course there will be people who will just stay here and will always do so. Likewise there are those who will always go abroad regardless of cost and the inconveniences of airports and travelling.

But there are also those who consider the situation and who may well have gone abroad but now will not do so because of the exchange rate. Those are the ones who will change their plans and may stay at home. Those are the ones that will change the statistics for the numbers travelling abroad or staying at home.

fireflybob
24th Jan 2009, 20:24
Why go anywhere else?

The unreliability of the English weather!

lexxity
24th Jan 2009, 20:31
You ever tried travelling with children in the UK. We're off to Cornwall over Easter and I lost count of the number of places listing "No Children. No Children under 14. No this, no that, no the bloody other, etc". In the end we asked family if we could stay with them. :ok:

The only foreign trips this year is down to Euro Disney next month trust me when I say it was a hell of a good deal. Good enough that the exchange rate shouldn't be too bothersome. Other than that it's two stops in Ireland on cruises.

redsnail
24th Jan 2009, 21:53
We're off to Bjorkliden, Sweden (lapland area) in March for the Airline ski meet. In September we're off to Australia for hols. :}

atceng
24th Jan 2009, 22:11
Cumbernauld,Scotland,yes that architectural nirvana,every year until I pass my PPL.
By the time I get it (dont hold your breath,really,dont) the pound will be worth $2,and 2 Euros again,so I'll then be able to afford to go fly in the Med.:(