PDA

View Full Version : Joining Gulfair or not?

NIK_
15th Jan 2009, 11:21
Hello,

I have passed the GF assessment two months ago and they offered me a job, starting in April 2009. I am very thankful about that job offer because I thought it is a good company to working for.

Now, the starting date is coming closer and closer and I am becoming more and more unsure if I should join GF or not.

On the one hand,they told me during my interview that I would stay on the A320 for 1.5 years and move then to the A340/330 for another 3 or 4 years, so, presently,it takes around 5 or 6 years to promote to the LH seat. For a major airline, not bad at all, if this statement is true.

BUT, I was reading all threads about GF and there seems to be a major problem with the roster.
So is there anybody working for GF on the A320 who tell me s.th. about his roster? ( how many dayshifts, stdbys,nightshifts, changes in a month), how many flying hours in a month?

My current company offered me now to start on the A330 (flying in the future A320/330 mixfleet), but the salary is crap, I am used to work around 90 - 95 hrs every month since the last two years for a low salary and the prospects to become a captain are really low, waiting time at the moment 10 to 12 years.

Could someone of you guys tell me also something about the atmosphere in the flight deck,is it relaxed and pleasant? Is the line training fair and how many sectors are you flying? - They told me around 10 sectors

I have discussed all pros and cons with my family, and they are all willing to move down to Bahrain.

So, any good advice would be appreciated

Best regard

NIK_:ok:

Desert Diner
15th Jan 2009, 11:50
My current company offered me now to start on the A330 (flying in the future A320/330 mixfleet), but the salary is crap, I am used to work around 90 - 95 hrs every month since the last two years for a low salary and the prospects to become a captain are really low, waiting time at the moment 10 to 12 years.

Doesn't sound like you have too much downside on joining GF!

The problem is for people that decide to leave a reasonablish career to come out to the ME for something that may be only slightly better.

The problem then is the wife doesn not like the lifestyle, husband dosn't like the work environment, or the company just decides your services are no longer needed, so off you go back home to no job...

ironbutt57
15th Jan 2009, 12:17
Liquid rosters were due crew shortages which are being sorted out..roster stability should improve greatly over the next few months time...on the 320 you can expect an eclectic mix of daytime and night time flying..some 24hr nightstops and some 4-sector day trips as well...

Pixie Queen
15th Jan 2009, 12:28
Nightstops are layovers/overnights, is this a correct analogy? and
Sectors are legs ?

Do you ever fly more than 4 sectors? I often fly 5 or 6 per day, but never "scheduled" for more than FAR limits of 8 hours.

Excuse the "foreignor", I just like to be sure we're speaking about the same things. ;)

ShirleyNot
15th Jan 2009, 12:32
Beware the rosters at GF have been at the 'being sorted out stage' for a very long time and there has been very little improvement, and come the summer it is simply a nightmare.

Re: the flight deck atomosphere, it is very good here, relaxed and professional. The one thing that has improved in my time here is the training which is now excellent (IMHO).

Iver
15th Jan 2009, 13:09
If pay and advancement at your current airline don't look to improve and you and your family are OK with the cultural shift in Bahrain, I would say go to Gulf Air. I hope you and your family have visited Bahrain to ensure they are OK with the living conditions, etc. Family buy-in is critical - make sure they will be OK with the move.

You also need to look at your priorities. What is most important to you? Advancement/pay or QOL in Germany? I agree, look at the potential downside - at GF you will likely advance while at your current airline you may stagnate. If faster advancement is critical for you, GF looks like a better option.

Sal-e
15th Jan 2009, 14:07
The irony about the roster thing is it probably relies on you new joiners to actually 'join' before it stabilises. In other words, while you're making the decision to join based on roster stability, you actually joining is going to contribute to roster stability, thereby answering and satisfying your question:bored:. Hope that made sense.

NIK_
15th Jan 2009, 14:53
Hello guys,

thanks for your answers.

I stayed for 6 days in Bahrain during the assessment, I think I had some time to get an impression of this island. I was looking every day for accomodations in Amwaj, Juffair, Muharraq and Boudeya (?).
Referring my family, my wife is not german, she īs from an islamic country, this makes it easier for her and for me to move to the ME. Our little boy is now 5 months old, so we donīt have really to ask him.

Finally, I donīt have anything to loose if I move and join GF. I really hope that I can improve my skills and become a better pilot on the A320 (2500 hrs tt, 2000 on A320 family), I heard also that the training provided by the company is good.
The only thing that concerns me at the moment is the contract. I have received and signed the contract, but ītill today, nobody from the HR department has confirmed and signed the contract and sent it back to me. I think a contract is only valid if employee and employer have signed the contract, or am I wrong?

How can I resign from my current job if I donīt know whatīs the status of my contract? I have tried to speak to the people of the HR department, but they told me to wait.

Wish you all happy landings

NIK;)

Desert Diner
15th Jan 2009, 15:52
my wife is not german, she īs from an islamic country, this makes it easier for her and for me to move to the ME

This may not be true. In fact it may be harder

BlueWhiteSky
15th Jan 2009, 19:08
Hi Nik,

regarding the contract, I was told during assessment with GF, it will be signed on your first day in Bahrain. In the "Explorer Bahrain Guide" is written that this is common practice in BAH, not only with GF.
The contract starts with your departure to BAH. What would you do with a signed contract If they dont send you the Ticket......?:hmm:

buba
15th Jan 2009, 19:24
just wait it out, HR is not one of our strongest departments.
regarding rosters, it could be in consistant..especially on the 320..u could get an easy month followed by a couple nightmare ones. changes are pretty common and some occur on an hourly basis.
atmosphere in the flight deck is great, very nice people all round. that and the salary is the most probably why people stay.
roster requests are a hit and miss, 320 particular, u mite get one request granted in every 2 or 3 you put in. days off are pretty minimal, 8 in a months, compared to the carriers arond.
on the 320 u'll be around in bah alot but might not have the energy to enjoy the days off woth family/freinds
basically..its a freindly arline, good money but the quality of life is flagging

juzlime
16th Jan 2009, 10:24
hey.. about the contract.. how's the salary and other benefits. is it as good as qatar or etihad?