PDA

View Full Version : There are only three things I am afraid of....

birrddog
15th Jan 2009, 07:51
"Electricity, heights, and woman.... and I'm married"

A quote from a High Voltage Cable Repairman.

Some nice footage of a Hughes (500?) too....

Dailymotion - High Voltage Cable Inspection, a video from monnotman. High, Voltage, Cable, Inspection (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6ljAq4OdXvflgDumF)

Radar66
15th Jan 2009, 08:27
Where are you West Lakes?! :}

ChrisVJ
15th Jan 2009, 08:32
Round here you can watch the linemen repairing the line while standing on the skids or a platform on the skids with the helicopter hovering.

west lakes
15th Jan 2009, 10:27
It's been on TV a few times.

Sadley in the UK we ain't allowed to do this, it took years to even convince the HSE that it was reasonable to work on lower voltages (up to 11kV) from insulated cherry pickers.

As for his fears, that is common 'cos if you get it wrong they all can hurt!!

cockney steve
15th Jan 2009, 14:05
Cripes! I hope you've pointed out to Elf 'n Safety , that the entire population of our feathered friends are at risk :eek:

Perhaps they should set up vast netting-schemes, refine appropriate lectures, and , of course,ring or otherwise ID those which have been "taught" about "safe perching"......that should keep the jobsworths busy while REAL engineers and technicians get on and do the bloody work!

Flap 5
15th Jan 2009, 16:20
Good video. That helicopter is really quiet! You can hear his tools clicking onto the line but nothing from the helicopter.

cockney steve
15th Jan 2009, 19:50
directional "rifle" Mike?.....pick up a speaking person 1/2 mile away, but not hear the listener 6 foot from him. Yes, they are very directional and have to be pointed very accurately.....just like a rifle, really :}