PDA

View Full Version : What is Your Favourite Film "Moment"

V2-OMG!
15th Jan 2009, 03:39
http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL1942/12014112/21360717/351106911.jpg

What makes a good film? For me, it is one that possesses a moment that transcends yet defines the entire film.

My favourite movie moment is the opening monologue of Patton.

Very few cinematic moments can compare with the potency of that imagery; George C. Scott as General Patton, at ramrod attention before that gargantuous American flag. What propells you further into its grip is his first line in his address to the troops: "I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor bastard die for his country."

For someone like myself, a "feel the love" spewing pacifist, it is a strange choice. Patton himself would probably concur with another one of his classic comments. "You know as much about war as you do about fornicating." But I am drawn to the complex and paradoxical. George C. Scott's performance was sheer perfection in portraying the paradox of Patton's character: A magalomanic and jingoist, but a poet and philosopher as well. Unpredictability juxtaposed by dependability. Military precision peppered by non-conformity.

The defining parallelism is that he knew what it was like to be in danger - to be afraid. He recognized that the real enemy is letting that fear overtake attainment.

Maybe it's the metaphor that melds me to that image. Life is that ultimate battlefield of contradiction. In war, we fight for peace. Yet, in peace, we often lose the courage of character in our quest to win.

So, do you have a favourite movie moment? A scene or some particular dialogue that is imprinted upon your conscience forever?

birrddog
15th Jan 2009, 03:42
"He's not the Messiah, he's a very naughty boy" - Life of Brian - a true classic.

Been watching Monty Python clips (as well as Mel Brooks) tonight

scran
15th Jan 2009, 03:45
Just saw it again recently - Michael caine's piece in Battle of Britain - sitting in his Spit with the engine running:

"Control, the engine is overheating and so am I. We either take off or blow up"

Cue sly smiles from the other squadron pilots - then Caine closes the canopy and off they go.........................

Howard Hughes
15th Jan 2009, 03:56
He's just been decaffeinated! Lethal Weapon (can't remember which one!):ok:

Mac the Knife
15th Jan 2009, 04:02
THAT moment in "The Crying Game"

:eek:

Buster Hyman
15th Jan 2009, 04:15
Final monologue in Blade Runner. :ok:

Hobo
15th Jan 2009, 05:26
YouTube - These Go To Eleven (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d54UU-fPIsY)

henry crun
15th Jan 2009, 05:54
Wages Of Fear when the truck driver had stopped to roll a fag.

JennyB
15th Jan 2009, 07:12
Final scene in The Wicker Man when Edward Woodward is sacrificed to a pagan God.

Reluctant737
15th Jan 2009, 08:09
Final scene in The Wicker Man when Edward Woodward is sacrificed to a pagan God.

Charming! :p

Parapunter
15th Jan 2009, 08:15
"You know what the fellow said—in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

gingernut
15th Jan 2009, 08:30
Shane Meadows standing up to the bullies in Dead Mans Shoes.

YouTube - Dead Mans Shoes - Confrontation scene (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=b-_Wxak8k6g&feature=related)

"Your not afraid of me are ya'" 1min28

Rollingthunder
15th Jan 2009, 08:45
http://moovyboovy.com/IMAGES%20MARCH%202007/onceuponatime2.jpg

well, it's one of them.

Buster Hyman
15th Jan 2009, 08:57
"Drugs eh? What's the point. They make you forget, make you talk funny, make you see things that aren't there. My old grandma got all of that for free when she had a stroke."

"You great... soft... sissy... girlie... nancy... french... bender... Man-United supporting POOF!!"

"Boss, there's a viscous yellow liquid in his ear.... "
"No, that's a drip from my fried egg butty, love. Well done Miss Marple, that's why we need women detectives... "

"He's got fingers in more pies than a leper on a cookery course . "

“Now. Yesterday’s shooting. The dealers are all so scared we’re more likely to get Helen Keller to talk. The Paki in a coma’s about as lively as Liberace’s dick when he’s looking at a naked woman, all in all this investigation’s going at the speed of a spastic in a magnet factory.”

"She's as nervous as a very small nun at a penguin shoot. "

goudie
15th Jan 2009, 09:02
William Holden dancing with Kim Novak to the theme tune in 'Picnic'. I was 19 when I first saw it and of course had an instant crush on Kim Novak.

BlueDiamond
15th Jan 2009, 09:07
"Soylent Green is people!"

Lancelot37
15th Jan 2009, 09:09
What is Your Favourite Film "Moment" (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/358122-what-your-favourite-film-moment.html)

When "The End" comes onto the screen and my wife wakes me up.

In my 71 years I cannot remember staying awake through an entire film except as a teenager and I was doing the breast stroke on the back row.

Must admit, I haven't been to the cinema since about 1964. I understand that most films are in colour these days!

fireflybob
15th Jan 2009, 09:17
Raid on Entebbe (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=8DmvdcZfS4c)

Fantastic film - true story!

The Trick is not minding that it hurts! (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=tY6iKJn-HK4)

I think this was done better on the original black and white movie!

Rollingthunder
15th Jan 2009, 09:17
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3019/2581359586_ecf9593102.jpg?v=0

another one

airfoilmod
15th Jan 2009, 09:33
...."TAKE THE PAIN !!!".... Platoon

ORAC
15th Jan 2009, 09:35
Buster,

If you mean the one by Rutger Hauer, (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTzA_xesrL8) as opposed to the dreary voice over by Harrison Ford in the original release (removed in the Director's Cut), then I agree with you.

MadsDad
15th Jan 2009, 09:47
Start of Apocalypse Now, where the noise of the helicopter morphs into the overhead fan.

Juud
15th Jan 2009, 10:26
The first two that come to mind.

Zack carrying Paula out of the factory at the end of "An officer and a Gentleman"
This was the film that prompted thousands of women to fall madly in love with a man not dissimilar looking to an arrdvark, albeit a highly charismatic one.

http://www.topfoto.co.uk/gallery/LoveisintheAir/images/prevs/0552127.jpg

From "A Few Good Man", Col Jessep's monologue at the trial:

Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lieutenant Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and curse the Marines; you have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives and that my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use then as the backbone of a life trying to defend something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you," and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest that you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

bekolblockage
15th Jan 2009, 11:41
Allow me to be puerile for a moment.
How can you go past this;

YouTube - Campfire scene from Blazing Saddles (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68v4g6ZjNlw)

wiggy
15th Jan 2009, 11:48
Detective sits on a desk and stares at a notice board whilst sipping from a mug of coffee....detective suddenly starts focusing at various items on said notice board....mug of coffee falls to the floor, smashes and reveals, in slow motion...................................................... ...........i.e. the moment in "The Usual Suspects' when all is (sort of) revealed. Seen it dozens of times and it still brings up the hairs on the back of my neck!!!

Tom Hanks face to face for the last time with Paul Newman in "The Road to Perdition".

Tom Hanks (again) doing his " I'm a schoolteacher" speech in "....Ryan"

and finally the bit towards the end of "Field of Dreams" where Costner sees his Dad again...gets me everytime...

Ace Rimmer
15th Jan 2009, 12:17
I can't believe nobody's mentioned

Elwood: It's 200 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, a half pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses...

Jake: Hit it

Buster Hyman
15th Jan 2009, 12:24
Yes, Rutger Hauer's monologue. :ok: Sums up so much of what the film was about in less than a minute.

Parapunter
15th Jan 2009, 12:36
Nobody touches Mrs Lopsided.

lomapaseo
15th Jan 2009, 13:13
Burl Ives to Gregory Peck about dueling pistols in Big Country

...teach your grandmother to suck eggs.....

tony draper
15th Jan 2009, 13:22
This one.:E
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/thewildbunch1969.jpg

Dop
15th Jan 2009, 13:25
"I love you June, you're life and I'm leaving you."

dead_pan
15th Jan 2009, 13:27
Nice one, Mr Draper. That's what I call men's men.

I lurve that bit in Jaws when the camera does that weird pan-back/zoom on Roy Scheider's face when he sat on the beach, witnessing his awful realisation that the shark is back.

ThreadBaron
15th Jan 2009, 13:37
Trump that Jaws' scene with,

"We're going to need a bigger boat!"

'Kolya'. The bath scene where Kolya, aged 2(?) is 'speaking' to his grandma on the 'phone' (shower head) with tears pouring down is face.

GULP!:{

Renton's monologue at the beginning of 'Trainspotting'.

"Choose life. Choose a job. Choose a career. Choose a family, Choose a f*cking big television, Choose washing machines, cars, compact disc players, and electrical tin openers.Choose good health, low cholesterol and dental insurance. Choose fixed-interest mortgage repayments. Choose a starter home. Choose your friends.Choose leisure wear and matching luggage. Choose a three piece suite on hire purchase in a range of f*cking fabrics. Choose DIY and wondering who you are on a Sunday morning. Choose sitting on that couch watching mind-numbing sprit-crushing game shows, stuffing f*cking junk food into your mouth. Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pishing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, f*cked-up brats you have spawned to replace yourself. Choose your future. Choose life.

But who would want to do a thing like that?"

bnt
15th Jan 2009, 13:54
I like those "oh, s**t" moments in films, when you realise that things aren't quite as they seem, or that it's passed the point of no return. Examples include:
- 2001: just what is HAL 9000 up to..? Oh. :ooh:
- The Godfather, when they're discussing what to do about Solozzo and the police captain, and there's a subtle shift in the order: suddenly, Michael is in front and centre. Another one of those moments follows soon afterwards.
- and my favourite: L.A. Confidential, when we realise the "bad guy" is about the last person we would have suspected.

PS: re The Usual Suspects, that's a great moment too, but I don't share the general consensus on just what gets revealed there, or who Keyser Söze turns out to be... :cool:

DBisDogOne
15th Jan 2009, 14:05
The end of 'The Usual Suspects' - when the cop realises he's been conned...
"Convince me Verbal, Convince me"

'The greatest trick the devil ever pulled - was convincing the world he didn't exist' as Spacey walks down the street losing his 'disabilites'.

fireflybob
15th Jan 2009, 14:42
Failure is NOT an option! (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=OZuUwcl_wT8)

pineridge
15th Jan 2009, 14:51
The final scene in "Zulu" when the chief walks out in no-man`s-land in front of his army and salutes the survivors at Rourke`s Drift.

RVF750
15th Jan 2009, 15:44
" Give me your clothes" one of 18 of the best lines ever to come from the current Governor of California ever!

UnDeterminator
15th Jan 2009, 15:51
The Car Hire scene - among others.

Blues Brothers "We're on a mission from God..."

dead_pan
15th Jan 2009, 16:36
I liked the bit in Capricorn One when the one surviving astronaut is in the deserted garage trying to make that phonecall, when in the window behind him the two Loaches appear in the distance.

Also the bit in Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade when the chap drinks from what he believes to be the Grail. Slight change in music tone followed by the inevitable gross-out FX. "He chose poorly". Indeed.

And the end of Aliens when Ripley appears in her strap-on fortklift - 'Leave her alone you BITCH!' Classic line.

Incidentally, I was lying awake in bed a few days back thinking about The Usual Suspects (don't ask) and I found a fundamental flaw in the plot. How could Verbal have been Keyser if it is evident he had considerable previous and been known to the police for some time? Doesn't really stack if he was this shady criminal mastermind. Perhaps he wasn't Keyser Sose after all.

frostbite
15th Jan 2009, 16:45
The Fabulous Baker Boys, when Michelle Pfeiffer discovers the microphone switch.

"Where's the fcuking switch?"

Dr Jekyll
15th Jan 2009, 17:07
Personally I prefer the bit where she sprawls across Jeff Bridges piano, but each to his own.

wiggy
15th Jan 2009, 18:22
I'm going to have a second bite at the cherry.....not film I know , but this is the audio-visual moment when I realised that despite our fine heritage of "Dr Who","Coronation Street", "Crossroads" and "Casualty" us Brits had been overtaken by the sceptics in the visual arts...but it still needed a Brit band to provide the soundtrack...my nomination for the best film and TV moment ever

"watch this"...

YouTube - The West Wing - Two Cathedrals Press Conference (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-EgLiPvhV-Y&feature=related)

Beatriz Fontana
15th Jan 2009, 18:34
There are so many in Dr Strangelove. Although I do particularly like "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room."

Genius.

Capt.KAOS
15th Jan 2009, 18:55
Girl With Bren (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksMydLGN1oc&feature=related)

AN2 Driver
15th Jan 2009, 19:12
The hoover scene.

YouTube - Guten Tag?... Wie gehts?... (http://youtube.com/watch?v=PWvwQaZ9M5g)

Too Short
15th Jan 2009, 23:25
Crikey, I've got hundreds of favourite film moments but I think top of my list are:-

Cinema Pardiso, when old Alfredo tells Toto that he should get out of the village and broaden his horizons and says to him, forehead to forehead, his hand on the back of Toto's neck, and full of emotion, "I don't want to hear you, I want to hear about you" :sad: :{

Closely followed by the whole scene in which Toto goes back to the village, decades later, for Alfredo's funeral... :{:{:{

Quite a few from Pulp Fiction too - but can't decide on one in particular!

Buster Hyman
16th Jan 2009, 00:45
Can't remember the film name, but a drunken Peter O'Toole has wandered into the Ladies to relieve himself...

"This is for ladies only!"
"So's this Ma'am, but occasionally, I run a little water through it."

Howard Hughes
16th Jan 2009, 02:28
"just like a wop to bring a knife to a gunfight"! Sean Connery - 'The Untouchables'

Rollingthunder
16th Jan 2009, 02:37
That was "My Favorite Year" with Peter O'Toole as Alan Swann.

http://www.gonemovies.com/WWW/XsFilms/SnelPlaatjes/ActTooleMyFavoriteYear.jpg

woollcott
16th Jan 2009, 02:56
So many............
Briefly, my top 4

1) When the warden discovers Tim Robbins has done a runner in The Shawshank redemption

2) When Alec Baldwin realises Sean Connery may well be defecting in The Hunt for Red October

3) Looking up at Sterling Hayden, through a haze of cigar smoke while he explains the commie plot to sabotage our precious bodily fluids in Doctor Strangelove.

The all time most amazing and unexpected end I have every witnessed was at the end of Blackadder 4 (Goodbyyeee) The shot of them "going over the top" to certain death slowly dissolves and is replaced by a fields of red poppys..............

I was absolutely when floored when I first saw this! This is not how classic British comedies are meant to end! Full credit to Ben Elton and Richard Curtis for such a maasterstroke.

V2-OMG!
16th Jan 2009, 05:07
Wow! I'm enjoying all your moments. Now I want to go back and rewatch some of the films just to witness those moments again -- or check out the ones I haven't seen yet.

MadsDad mentioned the fade-out of the overhead fan into the Huey propeller in Apocalypse Now. I liked the sounds and imagery of that scene too.

Another favourite moment is the final scene from Platoon where Chris Taylor is flying over the mayhem in the aftermath of battle, and his narration goes like this:
Chris Taylor (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000221/): [voiceover] I think now, looking back, we did not fight the enemy; we fought ourselves. The enemy was in us. The war is over for me now, but it will always be there, the rest of my days. As I'm sure Elias will be, fighting with Barnes for what Rhah called "possession of my soul." There are times since, I've felt like a child, born of those two fathers. But be that as it may, those of us who did make it have an obligation to build again. To teach to others what we know, and to try with what's left of our lives to find a goodness and a meaning to this life.

Another favourite scene also involves the post-mortem narration of the main character, Lester Burnham, as the camera levitates over his suburban street in American Beauty.
Lester Burnham (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000228/): [narrating] I had always heard your entire life flashes in front of your eyes the second before you die. First of all, that one second isn't a second at all, it stretches on forever, like an ocean of time... I guess I could be pretty pissed off about what happened to me... but it's hard to stay mad, when there's so much beauty in the world. Sometimes I feel like I'm seeing it all at once, and it's too much, my heart fills up like a balloon that's about to burst... And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday.

Wod
16th Jan 2009, 06:41
Casablanca - after "Round up the usual suspects" comes the walk into the night ending and "This could be the start of a beautiful friendship".

Absolutely endorse a number that have already been posted.

P.S. Shane - also the ending "Shane, come back Shane..."

Captain Stable
16th Jan 2009, 06:58
Too many to mention from "Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels":-

Nick the Greek: Dunno. Seems expensive.
Tom: Seems? Well, this seems to be a complete waste of my time. That, my friend, is 900 nicker in any store you're lucky enough to find one in. And you're haggling over 200 pound? What school of finance did you come from Nick? "It's a deal, it's a steal, it's the Sale of the fcuking Century!" In fact, fcuk it Nick, I think I'll keep it!
Nick the Greek: All right all right, keep your Alans on!

Bacon: Harry didn't think that he did a very good job, so he grabbed the nearest thing to hand, which just so happened to be a 15 inch black rubber cock, and proceeded to beat poor old Smithy to death with. And that was seen as a nice way to go. Now, that, is why you pay Hatchet Harry, when you owe.

"Hatchet" Harry: You must be Eddie, J.D.'s son.
Eddie: Yeah. You must be Harry. Sorry, didn't know your father.
"Hatchet" Harry: Never mind son, you just might meet him if you carry on like that.

Barfly Jack: Rory? Yeah I know Rory. He's not to be underestimated, you've got to look past the hair and the cute, cuddly thing - it's all a deceptive facade. A few nights ago Rory's Roger iron's rusted, so he's gone to the local battle-cruiser to catch the end of his footer. Nobody is watching the custard so he turns the channel over. A fat man's north opens and he wanders over and turns the Liza over. 'Now fcuk off and watch it somewhere else.' Rory knows claret is imminent, but he doesn't want to miss the end of the game; so, calm as a coma, he stands and picks up a fire extinguisher and he walks straight past the jam rolls who are ready for action, then he plonks it outside the entrance. He then orders an Aristotle of the most ping pong tiddly in the nuclear sub and switches back to his footer. 'That's fcuking it,' says the guy. 'That's fcuking what' says Rory. Rory gobs out a mouthful of booze covering fatty; he then flicks a flaming match into his bird's nest and the man's lit up like a leaky gas pipe. Rory, unfazed, turned back to his game. His team's won too. Four-nil.

Eddie: They're armed.
Soap: What was that? Armed? What do you mean armed? Armed with what?
Eddie: Err, bad breath, colorful language, feather duster... what do you think they're gonna be armed with? Guns, you tit!

Winston: We grow copious amounts of ganja, yah? And you're carrying a wasted girl and a bag of fertilizer. You don't look like your average horti-fcuking- culturalist! That's what I mean Willie.

Dog: I don't fcuking believe this! Can everyone stop gettin' shot?

Big Chris: It's been emotional.

Siguarda al fine
16th Jan 2009, 07:32
Platoon: Ambush scene
Sgt Barnes: whilst all around him are grovelling for cover strides up towards the action shouting " get some fkukin fire power up here you ass holes."

Wiley
16th Jan 2009, 09:27
Have to agree with the end of the 'Blackadder' WW1 series. One moment you're laughing along at Rowan Atkinson's antics, expecting Capt Blackadder will yet again pull another trick to escape doing anything serious, then he looks at his watch, sighs and blows his whistle.

It was like a cold wet fish in the face.

Made you realise that all those countless men who did go over the top in those senseless frontal charges were all three dimensional, thinking people, who didn't go to their deaths as unthinking automatons.

Charlie Foxtrot India
16th Jan 2009, 10:17
From the sublime...
"Open the pod bay doors please, HAL"

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/minnie_the_minx/2001-a-space-odyssey-1.jpg

To the ridiculous
"They could be miles off course!"
"That's impossible, they're on instruments!"

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/minnie_the_minx/AirplaneInstruments.jpg

And then there's this...
"there's not enough runway!"

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h315/minnie_the_minx/CliffEdge.jpg

RaraAvis
16th Jan 2009, 13:40
THE moment ( the excruciating, simultaneously vomit, tears and hysterical gaggles inducing moment) in Borat. :eek::yuk::uhoh:

Apologies for descending into purgatorial lows here:\

Rule3
16th Jan 2009, 13:54
Paul Hogan, " That's not a Knife, THIS IS A KNIFE."

V2-OMG!
16th Jan 2009, 17:45
Rule3, reminds me of the scene from Indiana Jones (can't remember which one) where Indiana and the Arab guy are going to duel. The Arab guy pulls out his sword and starts waving it around in a fancy azz way -
Indiana just pulls out his gun and BAM! Case closed!

It always makes me laugh!

The Real Slim Shady
16th Jan 2009, 17:58
Big Sean in The Rock:

John Mason: "Personally I Think you're a f8cking idiot"
John Mason: Are you sure you're ready for this?
Stanley Goodspeed: I'll do my best.
John Mason: Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and f8ck the prom queen.

mr fish
17th Jan 2009, 10:21
laurel&hardy, GOING BYE BYE,"pardon me one second, my ear is full of milk",
THEM THAR HILLS," what we having to eat","a plate of beans and a steaming cup of coffee","swell, you sure know how to plan a meal",
and the best of the bunch BUSY BODIES, the scene where ollie gets trapped in stanleys window frame.
stanley studies a blueprint in order to release him, ollie,"what you doing",
stanley,"looking at the bluepints",
ollie,"WHY THATS A BLUEPRINT OF THE BOULDER DAM"!!!
if anyone tell you CHARLIE CHAPLIN is funnier-JUST LAUGH!!!!!!

Rollingthunder
17th Jan 2009, 10:46
Only musicals I like are by Busby Berkeley.

http://data-allocine.blogomaniac.fr/mdata/1/8/9/Z20050221142222110387981/img/fredginger2.jpg

gcap
17th Jan 2009, 13:12
" Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore"

BombayDuck
17th Jan 2009, 13:27
Pardon me for coming all new-age on your folks, but I'll give two scenes:

Ocean's XI - the moment the swat team walks out of the casino, and one of them lifts his helmet visor up.....

The Matrix - Neo stops and takes stances, and in one of the most classic motions ever, tells the Agent with his palm to start fighting. "He's beginning to believe." The soundtrack is awesome.

Same movie, the end... where he gets up and they shoot dozens of bullets at him and he says....

"No."

Strelnikov
17th Jan 2009, 16:48
Shivers down the spine....

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UUwpLyIDIJw&feature=related (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UUwpLyIDIJw&feature=related)

---------------------------------------------------------------

And Richard Burton's O'Brien to John Hurt's Winston Smith:

"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

---------------------------------------------------------------

"What we see and what we seem, is but a dream, a dream within a dream."

YouTube - Picnic at Hanging Rock - Opening (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0DbTTiHIQ&feature=related)

"Rough winds do shake the darling buds of May"

fernytickles
17th Jan 2009, 17:21
Mr Darcy (Colin Firth) striding across the grass in a (now see-through) wet shirt having been for a dip in the pond :ok:

The scene 5m50s in to this youtube video of Much Ado About Nothing - all that could be added is a Spitfire or two in the background :)

YouTube - Much Ado About Nothing Part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIACPr5XEQM)

As my sister once said, "didn't know men wore such tight trousers in those days"... :ooh:

Closing shot in Master & Commander where they sit and play Boccherini - fantastic movie, and beautiful music.

Thats All Folks ;)

lomapaseo
17th Jan 2009, 17:25
Shivers down the spine....

YouTube - Tomorrow belongs to me (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UUwpLyIDIJw&feature=related)

What film version (year and name )

is the clip from?

Strelnikov
17th Jan 2009, 17:32
lomapaseo

Cabaret (1972)

Cabaret (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabaret_(film))

S

green granite
17th Jan 2009, 17:47
Usually the bit that says " THE END" :E

lomapaseo
17th Jan 2009, 19:16
Cabaret (1972)

Cabaret (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks, I added it to my Netflix quque

bubba z
17th Jan 2009, 23:39
The Wild Bunch is too good to leave up to Mr Draper's mention ... cheers Tony Old pal ! Still alive and kickin here in my wee town.

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers! ... Damn!

Washers.... Washers!!! We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes ! "

From that point on the movie had me ... omg I am going to go watch it tonight.

+ a bazillion for Rutger in Blade Runner. It was and is a moving scene and I know Philp K Dick approved.

My best film moment however, is the editing in Lawrence of Arabia .... where Larry of the sandy Prairie blows out the match. As a cut scene, in a film, it is simply the best.

To see it in 70mm on a huge screne is to stare the God of Celluloid in It's eye.

You knew it only had one eye ... right ?

tony draper
18th Jan 2009, 00:14
Best bit out of any James Bond Movie,
"I didn't know there was a pool down there"
Yo Mr Zee,still living above the snow line??:ok:

PLovett
18th Jan 2009, 01:30
bubba and Mr D,

You can name just about any scene from "The Wild Bunch" but the opening credit sequence hooks me every time.:ok: The music, the timing of the pauses, the scene where the riders see what the children are playing with in the basket, the shootout....just fantastic.:D

waco
18th Jan 2009, 04:10
"....and are there two g's in bugger off......"

Strelnikov
18th Jan 2009, 12:52
Poliakoff, I forgot about Poliakoff.

If you're not familiar with his work then have a forage on Ebay - you won't be disappointed.

Leaving Facebook... | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/ext/share.php?sid=32835179478&h=nThef&u=_nN6j)

kingoftheslipstream
18th Jan 2009, 14:07
Can't remember the film name, but a drunken Peter O'Toole has wandered into the Ladies to relieve himself...

"This is for ladies only!"
"So's this Ma'am, but occasionally, I run a little water through it."

Could that possibly be from: My Favourite Year (1982)?

...indeed as a previous poster showed. Thanks. (That was a nice movie, and it came out in my favourite year - even wrote it in my log book! Dang, she was pretty 'nuff to marry, so I did!);)

kingoftheslipstream
18th Jan 2009, 14:27
My favourite film of all time's Bergman's Fanny and Alexander.

As for some good dialogue, I love the short chat given at the fishing pond by Sam the Lion in The Last Picture Show. Good Talk.

OH, and Princess Lea (sp?) in Star Wars to Han Solo: ... into the garbage chute flyboy!:)

shrimp42
18th Jan 2009, 19:51
Too many to mention but 3 that stand out are,

Predator
Billy: I'm scared Poncho.
Poncho: Bullshit. You ain't afraid of no man.
Billy: There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die

Good Will Hunting
Why shouldn't I work for the N.S.A.? That's a tough one, but I'll take a shot. Say I'm working at N.S.A. Somebody puts a code on my desk, something nobody else can break. Maybe I take a shot at it and maybe I break it. And I'm real happy with myself, 'cause I did my job well. But maybe that code was the location of some rebel army in North Africa or the Middle East. Once they have that location, they bomb the village where the rebels were hiding and fifteen hundred people I never met, never had no problem with, get killed. Now the politicians are sayin', "Oh, send in the Marines to secure the area" 'cause they don't give a sh1t. It won't be their kid over there, gettin' shot. Just like it wasn't them when their number got called, 'cause they were pullin' a tour in the National Guard. It'll be some kid from Southie takin' shrapnel in the ass. And he comes back to find that the plant he used to work at got exported to the country he just got back from. And the guy who put the shrapnel in his ass got his old job, 'cause he'll work for fifteen cents a day and no bathroom breaks. Meanwhile, he realizes the only reason he was over there in the first place was so we could install a government that would sell us oil at a good price. And, of course, the oil companies used the skirmish over there to scare up domestic oil prices. A cute little ancillary benefit for them, but it ain't helping my buddy at two-fifty a gallon. And they're takin' their sweet time bringin' the oil back, of course, and maybe even took the liberty of hiring an alcoholic skipper who likes to drink martinis and fcukin' play slalom with the icebergs, and it ain't too long 'til he hits one, spills the oil and kills all the sea life in the North Atlantic. So now my buddy's out of work and he can't afford to drive, so he's got to walk to the ****in' job interviews, which sucks 'cause the shrapnel in his ass is givin' him chronic hemorrhoids. And meanwhile he's starvin', 'cause every time he tries to get a bite to eat, the only blue plate special they're servin' is North Atlantic scrod with Quaker State. So what did I think? I'm holdin' out for somethin' better. I figure fcuk it, while I'm at it why not just shoot my buddy, take his job, give it to his sworn enemy, hike up gas prices, bomb a village, club a baby seal, hit the hash pipe and join the National Guard? I could be elected president

And finally a link to one of the funniest bits of a classic film, too funny to write down, the tearoom scene in Withnail and I

YouTube - Withnail & I (In the tearoom) (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6m6LhZJdCQY)

Apologies for length, but the missus never complains :}

Vee1Kut
18th Jan 2009, 20:04
'I'm gonna hit that side of your head with my right foot, and there's not a damn thing you can do about"

Remember that movie?

frostbite
18th Jan 2009, 21:37
Butch Cassidy

"The fall will probably kill you".

Strelnikov
18th Jan 2009, 21:45
Aww.....Yanks just love the machismo hoodlum gangster stuff don't they?

I'm sure Toady Draper will stick up for the cousins.

Having said that my number one director is and American - David Lynch.

YouTube - llorando (mulholland drive) (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=oddg6dCB7FE)

I had to watch this a few times before I understood. When I did, and this scene, it cut me in two.

Captain Stable
19th Jan 2009, 01:45
Aliens:-

Ripley: Lieutenant, what do those pulse rifles fire?
Gorman: 10 millimeter explosive tip caseless. Standard light armor piercing round, why?
Ripley: Well, look where your team is. They're right under the primary heat exchangers.
Gorman: So?
Ripley: So, if they fire their weapons in there, won't they rupture the cooling system?
Burke: [interjecting] Ho, ho, ho. Yeah, she's absolutely right.
Gorman: [turns round to Burke] So? So what?
Burke: Look, this whole station is basically a big fusion reactor...
[Gorman turns back to stare, horrified, at the screen]
Burke: ...right? So you're talkin' about a thermonuclear explosion and "Adiós, muchachos."
Gorman: Oh, great. Wonderful. Shit! - Apone! Look... we can't have any firing in there. I, uh... I want you to collect magazines from everybody.
Hudson: Is he fcukin' crazy?
Frost: What the hell are we supposed to use man? Harsh language?

Richo77
19th Jan 2009, 02:59
Slim Shady you have to include the last bit of The Rock Quote:

John Mason: Are you sure you're ready for this?
Stanley Goodspeed: I'll do my best.
John Mason: Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen.
Stanley Goodspeed: Carla was the prom queen.
John Mason: Really?
Stanley Goodspeed: [cocks his gun] Yeah.

V2 - The Indiana Jones sequence with the sword vs gun is the original Raiders. However, they repeat the scene in the Temple of Doom where in the same situation Indy cockily reaches for the gun and its not there. Good stuff.

But to concur, a couple of quotes from American Beauty come to mind:

Lester Burnham: Brad, for 14 years I've been a whore for the advertising industry. The only way I could save myself now is if I start firebombing

Lester Burnham: Look at me, jerking off in the shower... This will be the high point of my day; it's all downhill from here.

Lester Burnham: [narrating] That's my wife, Carolyn. See the way the handle on her pruning shears matches her gardening clogs? That's not an accident.

Fratemate
19th Jan 2009, 06:43
YouTube - Austin Powers - Sharks with lasers (http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh7bYNAHXxw)

With the follow on:

YouTube - Sharks with lazers (http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=Pozlp_wnkRk)

Strelnikov
19th Jan 2009, 10:15
Ill tempered sea bass.

Brilliant.

You can tell Mike Myers hails from Liverpool.

Evanelpus
19th Jan 2009, 10:26
The first three and a half minutes of Top Gun.

1080p w/s tv and surround sound cranked to the max, watch it, it's awesome!

apache
19th Jan 2009, 10:35
ARMAGEDDON.....

they all strapped into the shuttle, ready to go, when Steve Buscemi turns to Bruce Willis and says....
"Hey harry?"
BW: "Yeah Rock"
SB: "you know we're sitting on 4 million pounds of fuel, one nuclear weapon, and a thing that has 270,000 moving parts.... built by the lowest bidder! makes you feel good, doesn't it? "

YOUTUBE clip herehttp://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB_ZlORvD4c&feature=PlayList&p=C1570F97C5082CBD&playnext=1&index=3

Abusing_the_sky
19th Jan 2009, 11:22
Hancock, saving a guy from being hit by the train, makes a lot of mess. People start shouting at him, instead of thanking him.

Angry Woman: You are no hero, you are a loser. Look at what you've done!!! And i can smell alcohol in your breath!
Hancock: THAT'S BECAUSE I'VE BEEN DRINKING B!TCH!!!

kluge
19th Jan 2009, 12:11
1. "Scent of a woman" - The tango scene and final speech. Inspiring.

2. "Poltergeist" - the little girl says "they're here". Still a spooky movie.

3. "Battle of Britain" - UK diplomat tells the Germ where to get off. Inspiring.

4. "Master and Commander" - "a toast to wives and girlfriends - may they never meet."

5. "Gone with the wind" - "frankly my dear, I don't give a damn."

6. Patton scene per post 1.

7. Final scene in "Space Cowboys" with Frankie playing "fly me to the moon" as the camera pans onto the dead astronaut.

8. "Right Stuff" - ALL OF IT.

9. John Wayne - Rooster Cockburn (?) reigns in his teeth, two guns blazing on horseback.

10. "House of Cards" - everytime FU looks at the camera and utters "you might think that but I couldn't possibly comment."

Dr Jekyll
19th Jan 2009, 18:59
Having said that my number one director is and American - David Lynch.

YouTube - llorando (mulholland drive)

I had to watch this a few times before I understood. When I did, and this scene, it cut me in two.

Go on then, what's that scene all about?

bnt
19th Jan 2009, 20:07
After commenting on The Godfather a few days ago, I watched the rest of the trilogy again, over the last few days. Part II is so weighty, in every sense, that Coppola could reasonably have split it over two movies, after the Cuban revolution and the "Fredo situation" is revealed. (Just what can Michael do about Fredo? I mean he can't... surely... would he?)

I really liked Part III too, especially the "art imitates life" operatic climax. Some of the dialogue was a bit stiff, which didn't do the inexperienced Sofia Coppola any favours, though I thought she suited her character well.

A A Gruntpuddock
19th Jan 2009, 23:38
Big Country - when Heston & Peck have just about fought to a standstill, Heston saying ;_

'Well all I can say McCabe, is that you take a hell of a long time to say goodbye.'

Vee1Kut
21st Jan 2009, 06:32
Remember that scene in American Beauty, where Lester had to write out his job description?

Oh gosh, that is so funny....