PDA

View Full Version : Sad News

frostbite
14th Jan 2009, 17:26
BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Prisoner star McGoohan dies at 80 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7829267.stm)

Will forever be remembered as 'Danger Man' and 'The Prisoner'.

SpringHeeledJack
14th Jan 2009, 20:35
I thought that he was a very underrated actor and could have 'done more' if he fitted in with the studio system back in his heyday.

One role that sticks in mind was that of Mr Jones in Ice Station Zebra, where he had the role of a secret agent down to a tee. I would recommend any of you to get a copy of the DVD from the video rental shop and have another look at this tense cold-war thriller.

Rest in peace Patrick

regards

SHJ

JennyB
14th Jan 2009, 22:22
"Come in Number Six, your time is up"

Very sad, and not to be forgotten for other achievements, a memorable "villain" in Braveheart as Edward Longshanks

"Of course the problem with Scotland, is that it's full of Scots"

I think also appeared as the villain in Columbo more times than any other, though William Shatner must be close as always seems to be him whenever I catch an episode.

denis555
15th Jan 2009, 07:10
His role in "The Prisoner" was superb and will always mean he will remain in my memory and affection.

A strangley quirky actor with a very measured delivery -I can never imagine him ever playing anything but a loner and a rebel - perhaps because he refused to play romantic parts?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
15th Jan 2009, 09:42
Not a bad innings but still sad news. The first film I can remember seeing him in was “Hell Drivers”. He played the part of a particularly nasty bugger.

airfoilmod
15th Jan 2009, 09:59
"Ice Station Zebra " was billionaire Howard Hughes favorite he watched it some say over ten thousand times. Good movie, McGoohan was tops.

angels
15th Jan 2009, 10:01
Yes, Ice Station Zebra was classic cold war stuff. Ernest Borgnine as well!

I did like his clipped delivery and he did come over as a rebel.

I never did get the last episode of The Prisoner. Did anyone else?

cockney steve
15th Jan 2009, 12:06
^^^^^ do you mean you didn't see it? or you didn't understand it?

It was a loooong time ago, but IIRC, the whole thing was his debriefing , to assess that he wouldn't crack if kidnapped by the "enemy" and interrogated.
he passed, he was VERY pissed off with his paymasters.

or am I dreaming? :ooh:

Groundloop
15th Jan 2009, 12:12
"Ice Station Zebra " was billionaire Howard Hughes favorite he watched it some say over ten thousand times. Good movie, McGoohan was tops.

Compared to Alistair Mclean's original novel the film was rubbish.

Rollingthunder
15th Jan 2009, 12:25
Especially the styrofoam snow in the final confrontation scene. Liked him as an actor though.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
23rd Jan 2009, 15:07
cockney steve. That's how I remember the last episode as well.

The preceding Danger Man series was good for its day. I particularly liked the one where he'd infiltated an offshore pirate radio station (Not So Jolly Roger?) as a DJ.

http://www.danger-man.co.uk/images/mcgLetter/autograph2_sm.jpg

tony draper
23rd Jan 2009, 15:16
I liked him as Longshanks when he threw his sons boyfriend out the window.:E
Got ot the point in me life when I know more people under the ground than walking round on top of it.:(

dazdaz
23rd Jan 2009, 15:58
I recall McGoohan had the opportunity to be the first 'movie' James Bond. I think his then contractual constraints with Sir L. Grade made this impossible.