PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Crew "Loss of Licence"

underwriter
14th Jan 2009, 14:29
Hi,
I am putting together a policy for cabin crew that mirrors cockpit crew Loss of Licence.
Looking at various CAA, ICAO and even a Parliamentry (discussion) website(s) it seems that Cabin Crew have a category 2 medical and do not have annual checks.
Is this correct? Do you have a "licence", a certificate or some other documentation?
Our Pilot wording defines Licence as all Licence's and certificate's which allow them to operate the plane and then the Licence issueing authority is defined.
I guess what I am asking is, do Cabin Crew have a Medical Document (for want of a description) that can be taken away thus causing lack of flying employment?
Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for your help

flyblue
14th Jan 2009, 14:39
It is not the same everywhere. What countries are you interested in?

underwriter
14th Jan 2009, 15:55
Hi,
Most of my book of business is outside of Europe and is definitley Exc USA.
However,and I am sure I will be shot down here, because none of my fellow Underwiters in Lloyd's give this cover and therefore assume this is a "unique" product, am looking to market it on a worldwide exc' USA basis.
Appreciate any input

1000 to go
14th Jan 2009, 19:32
In the UK at least, cabin crew do not have a licence. There is no regulatory issuing authority like the CAA for flightcrew. No medical certificate is required.

The airline maintains the annual requirement to be tested on aircraft safety equipment and knowledge,etc.

I imagine insurance would only be available under the normal medical problems affecting the ability to work.

Cabin crew often mention 'a licence' but there is no such thing

Good luck!

Ludo
14th Jan 2009, 20:30
In France we have a Cabin Crew License, and you need to pass a class II medical check every 2 years, If you don't pass it, you can't fly. It can be temporary or permanent, depending on the problem.
There are insurances for loss of license.
Here is a presentation of the Hospital where the medicals are held in Paris (it's in French) Défense - Le CPEMPN de l'hôpital Percy (http://www.defense.gouv.fr/defense/webtv/la_vie_des_forces/le_cpempn_de_l_hopital_percy)
We need to have recurrent training every year on SEP, First Aid, Dangerous Goods, HF+CRM, Security and Aircraft Specialization(s) followed by a test. If you fail you cannot fly until you have passed it.

underwriter
15th Jan 2009, 08:23
Thank you for the information. I am hoping for other folks to give me more specific National information so that I can build up a picture.
Clearly I will need to use a generic term and it looks like Licence/certificate/medical (and variation on a theme) may be the way forward.
Thanks again.

1000 to go
15th Jan 2009, 09:44
Ludo,

Do the French authority/aviation body actually issue you with a paper licence? I would have thought under EU law we would all be the same.

Obviously not!

As above, crew in the UK have 737/747/whatever type checked every year under safety procedures. There is no 'licence' as such

underwriter
15th Jan 2009, 11:23
Thanks for the confirmation.
As a result of the feed back so far, I was contemplating calling the policy Loss of Licence / Flying Status. So that where it says LOL it also means Loss of Flying Status.
Would those words (F.S) be appropriate / valid? If you lose your job as a result of an accident or sickness, would you lose Flying Status or is there a more technical and industry related term?
Again, thanks for the info': more useful than you can imagine!

1000 to go
15th Jan 2009, 11:56
A certain big company at LHR uses 'unfit to fly' for this

G-TTIC
15th Jan 2009, 18:26
Cabin crew in the UK do not operate with a licence. Training is usually done by the airline itself to the relevant authority's standards.

Medicals are also done by company doctors or by a questionaire, there is no medical certificate as there is with flight crew, and often no actual physical medical examination.

There is no significant cost involved in entering the profession, nor is the salary so high as to justify such cover in my opinion. If one can no longer fly due to a medical condition, but are able to work on the ground, they are likely to earn a similar amount of money as they would flying.

Should crew be unable to work at all (flying or not), then they would benefit from state allowances.

underwriter
16th Jan 2009, 08:33
Thanks G-TTIC
Totally agree with your comments about being able to earn as much on the ground as flying etc and that, along with another reason or two is why no one seems to offer the product. Clearly the expense involved to get to the front end does warrant a policy and that is where we all focus.
However, the one I am proposing is not as broad as a pilots and is specifically aimed to financially assist if one is unable to fly as a result of certain criteria which will affect your life in a major way. Having a "minor" sickness that stops one flying but would not affect one in a normal ground job will not result in a claim: having to stop flying due to a life changing condition will.
Only time will tell if it is of benefit.