PDA

View Full Version : Dlsyeixa is a mtyh

anotherthing
14th Jan 2009, 10:31
According to Labour MP:

Graham Stringer, Labour MP, Claims Dyslexia Is A Myth Invented To Cover Up Bad Teaching | Politics | Sky News (http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Politics/Graham-Stringer-Labour-MP-Claims-Dyslexia-Is-A-Myth-Invented-To-Cover-Up-Bad-Teaching/Article/200901215203083)

If such statements are true;

Mr Stringer said the disability had been eradicated in West Dunbartonshire where the council has eliminated illiteracy through a special programme.

If dyslexia really existed then countries as diverse as Nicaragua and South Korea would not have been able to achieve literacy rates of nearly 100%.

There has been created a situation where there are financial and educational incentives to being bad at spelling and reading.

does he have a valid point?

Parapunter
14th Jan 2009, 10:34
Ask the support groups:

http://i39.tinypic.com/5x2wz5.jpg

Davaar
14th Jan 2009, 10:43
I soppuse smoe aer rael and smoe spuedo.

Parapunter
14th Jan 2009, 10:59
Let me ask you a question in all seriousness Davaar. Why do you persist in bringing up the pseud reference at practically every opportunity?

It appears from here that you cannot let it pass, that it really gets to you that someone far away whom you have never & likely will never meet is bugging you to the point that you feel the need to remind them of a disagreement some years ago.

I would say that you give an insight into yourself with this & if I could proffer a little advice; let it go. Find something more constructive to do with your time. What remains of it anyway.:p

tony draper
14th Jan 2009, 11:05
They are just malingerers, bring back national service I say. :rolleyes:

Storminnorm
14th Jan 2009, 11:17
AND flogging! but ban car boot sails! OOOps! SALES!

Argonautical
14th Jan 2009, 12:38
Used to be a joke in South Africa about the dyslexic terrorist who joined CNA (a retail store) instead of the ANC.

Cpt_Pugwash
14th Jan 2009, 12:43
Likewise, the dyslexic devil-worshipper who sold his soul to Santa.:)

Scooby Don't
14th Jan 2009, 12:45
Much as I like the idea of flogging criminals and national service for everyone else (with compulsory Christian church services every Sunday during basic training), this MP is a sh*t of the first order.

I've known plenty of people with dyslexia, and bad teaching certainly isn't to blame. Some of my school friends, and their teachers, were willing to work extremely hard to reduce the effects of dyslexia. It's not a disease to be cured, unfortunately; it's a lifelong condition though there are, thankfully, programs available which seem to do a great deal to help improve reading ability among sufferers. The worst affected person I ever knew was a GF (and a mighty bad one at that) who'd never sought help and whose wealthy parents didn't believe in helping with school work so never noticed quite how badly their daughter could read or write. She wasn't much good with numbers either... Finally, nearing 30, I convinced her it was time to actually read a book despite it not giving her any immediate financial gain (her whole family believed in money and only money, so that was a big concession :rolleyes:). So what did she start with? Harry Potter. And he still had to ask my help with the difficult words.

Those whose parents and teachers are willing to look at underlying causes of poor reading are the ones who get help, and who generally see improvements. MPs coming out with drivel does not help them.

frostbite
14th Jan 2009, 12:45
I would say he does have a very valid point.

'Dyslexia' is, I believe, a combination of laziness on the part of pupils and teachers, coupled with a lifestyle which includes very little reading.

TommyOv
14th Jan 2009, 13:22
Afraid I disagree with you there frostbite.:=

I know a couple of dyslexic people, and although they don't have the condition to any seriously debilitating degree, both sometimes struggle with syntax when reading, and occasionally when writing. The problem seems to be seeing the letters in a word in the wrong order, even though they know what the word is, or occasionally seeing words in the wrong order in a sentence.

To suggest that this is as a result of anyone's laziness, or is as a result of a lack of reading is - with respect - fairly ignorant. Of the dyslexics that I know, one (my father) is a mechanical engineer, and the other is a medical student. Both are very well-read individuals.

Where this MP (who seems like a bit of a tool, if you ask me) may have a point though, is the massive dyslexia industry that has sprung up. It seems that education is now so competitive; parents are willing to a) make any excuse for their child's poor grades, or b) try to gain any advantage for their child in exams, i.e. extra time to complete. I know of parents who have sent their children to test after test for dyslexia, having convinced themselves (and the child) that they are sufferers, when the real reason for the poor grades is that the child just isn't that bright.

It's the rotten part of the industry and the silly incentives that need to be addressed, not the condition as a whole...which hasn't really been seriously scientifically disputed for some time now...

Captain Stable
14th Jan 2009, 13:32
Graham Stringer is an ignorant plonker. The only reason he didn't engage his brain before opening his mouth is that he doesn't have a brain to engage.

I am reminded of a cartoon I saw many years ago showing a woman with small son in a doctor's surgery. The doctor is saying "Good news, Mrs. Jones - your son isn't dyslexic - he's Welsh!"

Parapunter
14th Jan 2009, 14:07
Perhaps not, A small pearl that passed across my desk today, in a context where they really should have known better...

http://i43.tinypic.com/ogbfc6.jpg

Davaar
14th Jan 2009, 14:12
[/QUOTE]Let me ask you a question in all seriousness Davaar.

Surely, and I'll answer it. I look on it as something of a joke. I do not know what I ever did to you, that you went out of your way repeatedly to mark my posts with the label "PSEUD", intended I think to be offensive. I am not well familiar with its context, but I think it comes from one of the Brit papers.

I think "PSEUD" means "phoney". You tell us what a steely-eyed hang-glider you are, and I do not rush to say: Liar! Pseud! I believe you, and I respect the accomplishment. Then again, I do not see myself as a phoney. Why should you think I am; and if I am, why should it matter so much to you that you kept tossing it at me until I began to respond?

Anyway, I thought: "Aha! I'll pick it up!", and I began to retort to "Parabunter", an allusion -- for no particular reason other than it crossed my mind -- to Billy Bunter. I hoped it might annoy you. Well, I struck gold, for it surely did, sensitive soul that you are, and you as surely protested. I kept it up for a post or two and then I let it pass.

From time to time, though, I saw opportunities to use, in some mildly amusing and related way, as for example in the context of dyslexia, the "PSEUD" you have levelled repeatedly at me

In one recent thread there was a question of my going up in a hot-air balloon, and I drafted a post which allowed that I had done just that but disclaimed skill in the trade, admitting to be no more than a pseudo-balloonist. I thought it just hilariously knee-slappingly allusive and funny, as anyone must, my how I laughed, but I suppressed it because I knew there was one Big Bubbly Jock out there whose feelings would be hurt. Come to think of it, I'll attach it to the end of this post. Why not?

The fury my "Pseud" engenders in you shows me just how offensive you must have intended your "Pseud" to be when you threw it, so far as I know quite without provocation, at me. I, to the contrary, have never intended more than "pong" to your "ping"; offensive if you find it so, amusing if you find it so.

I really do not see that you have any ground for complaint. You poked me in the eye but you go squalling when I poke you in the eye. Boo-Hoo! When you did it to me, I did not write endlessly to complain.

As Shakespeare – Oh Yes! In my Pseud way I do know the source – put it:

"For ’tis the sport to have the enginer
Hoist with his own petar: and it shall go hard
But I will delve one yard below their mines,
And blow them at the moon"

Tell you what, though: from now on I shall ignore your existence. Awa' and spin yer peerie.

POSTSCRIPT

Davaar the pseudo Montgolfièrist:

[QUOTE]I am at best no better than, as it were, a pseudo-Montgolfièrist or pseud. Your research will have revealed that 99.987532% of balloonists are first-time-idiots who once saw a balloon go overhead at 40 degrees C on a summer’s day and said in the hearing of wife or daughter: “That looks like fun”. Such was my own folly. The dear ladies instantly called my bluff with the gift of a free ticket. "Thanks!".

I shall spare readers the Hell of ballooning over Ontario in late November. It is cold beyond description. The balloon goes up to around 3,000' and down to about 50'. 50' is better. The “basket” as we traditionalists call it is just that, a basket, rather crowded with five occupants.

I was not much interested in the other four, but one of us I can assure you was grasping the side so tightly his fingers left dents on the coaming. This was to preclude falling out, because there is no safety belt.

The experience reminds us literary pseuds of “Mary Postgate” (see recent thread), in which the young (German? an internal mystery in the tale according to some critics, but not to me) pilot had jumped from his flying machine without benefit of parachute.

The balloon has no parachute. The inclination to hop over the side into the abyss is almost overwhelming. Did I mention that is it cold beyond description?

The captain can, believe it or not, steer it a bit by wind shear. Every landing is a crash, with subsequent drag along surface. Think about it. I did not think about it until airborne.

I have checked out on a penny-farthing (1949) [that topic too had come up], but – as with velocipedes and bicycles and balloons – never again.

Devlin Carnet
14th Jan 2009, 14:31
Wow,
I have to read your posts two, or three times.
But I still dont understand them.
Maybe that says more about me than you.

Parapunter
14th Jan 2009, 14:32
I'll read it on Saturday when I have a spare hour.

Davaar
14th Jan 2009, 14:32
I would say that you give an insight into yourself........ Find something more constructive to do with your time. What remains of it anyway.

This must come from a pseudo-gentleman.

charliegolf
14th Jan 2009, 14:48
He's talking bollocks. He cites phonics as a cure-all for the lazy readers and teachers, and, without knowing it I'm sure, he's on the right track. Phonics is the 'new' silver bullet in England, but one my school's been using for 150 years. (I haven't been here all that time!)

Some of us let the late 60's trends, and the excesses of the 70's pass us by so that we're full circle and cutting edge! Phonics will work for 90% of readers who'll be fluent at 6 or 7 years old, and will be the main remedial tool for the rest. BUT, if Stringer's right, there can be no non readers. Well there are, and many have had a massively disproprtionate level of resource chucked at them.

Some kids cannot hold the fact they learned about reading for use next time. Sad but true.

CG

PT6ER
14th Jan 2009, 15:25
ADIS - dont die of dyslexia!! (as seen on a pub toilet chalkboard many years ago)

I am not dyslexic but I do get my muckin fords wuddled at times......

BombayDuck
14th Jan 2009, 15:44
While I believe that dyslexia is a real disease, I wouldn't be surprised if there are tons of people out there mis-diagnosed with it (through bad teaching, parenting or otherwise). Sort of (as I have read) is happening with ADD, ADHD and the increasingly common prescription of powerful medication like Ritalin in 'treating' them.

CarltonBrowne the FO
14th Jan 2009, 15:57
Please refrain from joking about dyslexia- it is a serious condition causing hardship to many.
These "jokes" are neither big, clever nor furry.

lomapaseo
14th Jan 2009, 17:03
I am never quite sure if I'm Dyslexic or not.

After I type a sentence or tw and proof read it I find all sorts of errors in it that I know better. Most of the errors are reversing of letter chaacters or simply laving a character out of a word. Some of the error are using the word "are" for "our"

I can't stop myself from making these mistakes but can easily spot them in speed reading. So is this Dyslexia or simple laziness?

BOAC
14th Jan 2009, 17:09
Anyone for a joke about Dog?

tony draper
14th Jan 2009, 17:12
In my day they had a great literacy training aid, it were made of stout leather about 18 inches long with one end halved into three prongs,in my school it was called Hector,in other academies it had different name, consequently dyslexia was virtually unknown.
:E

BOAC
14th Jan 2009, 17:17
halved into three prongs - didn't work, then?

Lon More
14th Jan 2009, 17:28
This must come from a pseudo-gentleman or an ageist?

These "jokes" are neither big, clever nor furry Excuse my ignorance; is this meant to be funny or just wooly logic?

I am never quite sure if I'm Dyslexic or not I have something similar. However I often read it, post it, and only then discover the faults. I suspect advancing old age has something to do with it

FSL I suspect that was a Lochgelly tawse. Manufactured by the black sheep of the McMore branch of the family

anotherthing
14th Jan 2009, 18:03
Lon More
However I often read it, post it, and only then discover the faults. I suspect advancing old age has something to do with it

I'm the same!

I'm not sure if it is down to age as much as when you are typing it and proof reading it whilst in 'editing' mode, the brain functions differently from when you are reading it back after having pressed the submit button.

I'm sure some psychologist could tell us.

The fact is, you pick up your own mistakes upon reading it back, so I don't think you have to worry about age just yet!

Loose rivets
14th Jan 2009, 18:10
A subject close to my heart. I'll come back to it tonight when I've finished me building project.

For the moment...HAS ANYONE ELSE CORRELATED EATING CHEESE WITH DIFFICULTY IN READING?

This has been such an important factor in my ability to learn from the written word, compared to hands on tinkering with everything from electronics to jet engines. Only in the last 1/4 of my life, with almost no cheese, can I read normally. Before I really had to struggle to keep the words still on the page. This same eye/brain system found flying and driving very fast cars, absolutely natural and relaxing.

Thems that read the medical section will have seen my frequent and sisable posts on Classical Migraine. This Tryptophan link has worried me a lot, a single episode of this horrible...nay terrible malaise is a license-loser, so I started to read just about everything I could lay my hands on about the subject.

I'm able to read quite well now, and catching up on a lot of the reading that was impossible for the bulk of my life. The fact that I have a fair vocabulary is an oddity, but spelling a lot of the words...even if I'd just seen them, would be impossible. I rely totally on spell checkers if I'm to be taken seriously.

I have in the past talked about being beaten nearly senseless by a teacher when I was 8 years old. All about the head. If he'd done that to one of my kids he'd never have worked again. In fact, he'd have had to leave the country. And I mean that.

I'm sure Drapes has enough of a science background to know that the human brain really cant be reprogrammed - more than a little, by fear alone.

I'm running through the MIT lectures in the late of the night. Physics and in particular Astrophysics, along with electricity and magnetism, and as an aside, down to the voltages and wave action found in the cells of the heart. I'm a bit slow with the math(ematics) but really, I'm finding the subject matter quite easy to comprehend. However, to this day, I still would fail exams on spelling.

All of my ATPL exams were taken by hearing the sound of the spelling. 6 days of exams with a fair pass. Without hearing the spelling I may as well have been writhing in Sanskrit.

This quick note has got me passion juices running. So I'll throw modesty to the wind. When I left school, I was destined for the farm. A natural ability with things electrical got me a Radio and T/V apprenticeship. Using a slide-rule for years saved my bacon when I fell in love with flying. I was pretty nifty at getting 4 figure answers with me eyes focused 3 " off the rule. The modestly thing.

When I did the ATP, the bloke at Boeing School (Braniff) said "Something, something....and that's why nobody ever gets 100% in the ATP." I just had - if my letter to them with detailed explanation of why a performance question was wrong in all 4 possible answers was considered at all. ( had the question checked after. ) The multi-choice system has its drawbacks, but failing people for their spelling isn't one of them.

If the thread runs on, I'll come back in a somewhat calmer and constructive mode. I'll even talk a little on how some drugs found in food can by-pass the blood brain barrier.

JennyB
14th Jan 2009, 19:35
Dyslexia is what middle class children who can't read or spell have.

Working class children who can't read or spell are however stupid, ignorant chavs.

Parapunter
14th Jan 2009, 20:59
Is there I wonder, an opposite to dyslexia? Something along the lines of verbose flowering bollocks syndrome? I think there is.:zzz:

BOAC
14th Jan 2009, 21:21
I can spell have. Does that make me working class?

Loki
14th Jan 2009, 21:23
Why is dyslexia so difficult to spell?

Fruity Tones
14th Jan 2009, 22:45
"Is there I wonder, an opposite to dyslexia? Something along the lines of verbose flowering bollocks syndrome?"

Fruity modestly claims to be eulexic.

However, his bollocks have never flowered........although he was once threatened with orchidectomy by a rival contender to a lady's affections.

Rollingthunder
14th Jan 2009, 22:56
Welcome Fruity Tones, good post.

I see it only took us two years to pique your interest.

Loose rivets
14th Jan 2009, 23:14
One is :confused:

arcniz
14th Jan 2009, 23:34
Up to the mid-20's, one was not dyslexic. Did adequately in school, painstakingly learned a dozen languages - human and otherwise - did scads of proofreading, wrote articles and books, and a fair bit of public speaking in the course of work, etc., all without dyslexic bent.

Around age 26, one adventured a mile too far in a tropical place, then (connection not clear at the time) fell ill some months later when back in the first world. A sharp headache and fever one night, followed by several days of no headache but increasing neurological oddities such as tics and twitches in various body parts. One began having difficulty understanding conversations... and knowing what to say in reply to difficult assertions like "good morning." For a period of six months one was very aware of losing basic intellectual skills, particularly verbal and inferential ones related to human interaction (while more abstract and logical thinking, memory, etc seemed totally unaffected) and having to devise substitute methods for coping -- in order to hopefully sustain a livelihood that was based on doing very complex work that was at a critical juncture, upon which the welfare of quite a large number of people depended. One confided the details to immediate superiors and a few close associates who helped provide a shield for the half year it took to get through the (off the record) transition period -- successfully, to ones great surprise.

In the aftermath of that, I have ever since been dyslexic to greater and lesser extent, with the variations unpredictable. Not only do I randomly transpose letters inside words when reading and writing, but also words inside sentences and, when speaking in conversation or public presentations, will also transpose sentences, fully-formed and otherwise correct, so they come out in jumbled sequence.

Clearly something happened there - a switch was thrown or the amplitude adjusted on some process. It seems plausible that similar effect could come on anyone at any age.

Paradise Lost
14th Jan 2009, 23:37
Rivets...using cartoons to hide your dyslexia won't fuel these guise.....

Chacha
14th Jan 2009, 23:39
dyslexia is part of the autistic spectrum .. i work in budgets in a special needs school and we have some children with severe autism who are dyslexic. the real definition of dyslexia is that some people cant transmit/understand as quickly as others when it comes to reading and writing. e.g. if you look and take notes of a blackboard then have to write it down, the minute your eyes leave the blackboard then look at the paper you are about to write on, well your memory cant remember what is on the blackboard .. this causes the letters to be jumbled through co ordination .. or the lack off .. = jumbled up letters and words .. understand what i mean? its just that the brian signal is slightly slower ... it can be remedied by exercises .. a few children with adhd and aspergers have been known to have it also. it can be diagnosed in anyone with any level of intelligence. its not classed as an illness nor a disability. a very controversial topic .. :ok:

gingernut
15th Jan 2009, 00:48
Yes, word blindness is a real disease, and yes, it's easy to jump on the bandwaggon, but it is difficult to jump the hoops to obtain a diagnosis.

Just because we don't understand the mechanisms of the disease, doesn't mean to say it doesn't exist.

I'm not sure that lazziness really comes into it.

Slightly shameful when people feel the need to take the piss.

Fruity Tones
15th Jan 2009, 01:39
Actually, Mr Thunder, Fruity has been contributing for some time.

However, he is invariably shown as being a postless probationary.

Perhaps he has been sent to the Naughty Corner.

Captain Stable
15th Jan 2009, 08:32
arcniz - read this book - Oliver Sacks . Musicophilia (http://musicophilia.com/)

May throw a lot of light on your experience. It's specifically music-orientated, but is very good on general neurology. I'm reading it at present and finding it fascinating and informative.

ORAC
15th Jan 2009, 08:57
One dreams of being eulexic, but is merely prolix. :(:(

Ovation
15th Jan 2009, 11:08
Dyslectics are teople poo!

Seriously, 9 in every 1 pilots have some degree of dyslexia.

BOAC
15th Jan 2009, 12:42
Where can you get a degree in dyslexia?

arcniz
15th Jan 2009, 18:38
One dreams of being eulexic, but is merely prolix.

You win, Orac. Can't pot that.

Capt.KAOS
15th Jan 2009, 19:11
I would say that you give an insight into yourself with this & if I could proffer a little advice; let it go. Find something more constructive to do with your time. What remains of it anyway.:pHere, here :p

His, as usual, pompous yet inesquitaneous answer surely must receive PPRuNe's prize in the category "Most Vicious Post" in 2009. Here's a vindictive mind.

Davaar
15th Jan 2009, 21:14
Here, here

There! There! Perhaps you meant not so much "Here, here" , as "Hear! Hear!"? That much I could follow, but "inesquitaneous"? Not Google, not the Concise Oxford, and not the Shorter Oxford can help me with that one.

Parapunter
15th Jan 2009, 21:34
Looking for a dictionary definition Davvy?

pseudodictionary: the dictionary for words that wouldn't make it into a real dictionary :: v2.0 (http://www.pseudodictionary.com/search.php?letter=e&browsestart=480)

:p:p:p:p:p

Davaar
15th Jan 2009, 22:08
Old chap, You can't be serious! You know me better than that. You refer me to the "p*****dictionary"? Cut out the "dictionary" and I am left with an adjective that may never pass my lips.

Rarely am I in the mood
To be labelled as a *****;
And now your book says that "ersatz"
Ist auch verboten! Ach mein Schatz!

Parapunter
15th Jan 2009, 22:11
Anyone? It's sounds like words...:confused:

Capt.KAOS
15th Jan 2009, 22:33
There! There! Perhaps you meant not so much "Here, here" , as "Hear! Hear!"? That much I could follow, but "inesquitaneous"? Not Google, not the Concise Oxford, and not the Shorter Oxford can help me with that one.Oh boy, hook, line and sinker, did not long for our pseudo professor Davaar to react... did you read the message title?...did you see the smiley?... Did it ever came up in your mind that I was being ironic? It's tough being perfect...Anyone? It's sounds like words...http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gifMust be pretty strong stuff...

Davaar
15th Jan 2009, 22:51
did you see the smiley?...

I do not use them. I leave them to those who do.

Parapunter
15th Jan 2009, 22:52
Oooh get her.:ouch:

arcniz
16th Jan 2009, 00:04
http://triplepillars.com/cat/images/gargoyle_winged_ram.gif

Don't let the jackals worry your tassels here, Davaar!

A few pounds of Latin verse with a wistfully reflective Gaelic chaser should have them quich to ground.

cockney steve
16th Jan 2009, 01:23
PLAY NICELY CHILDREN!

Both my sons had difficulty spelling...the elder would even spell the same word, 3 different ways in the same paragraph, This, despite the word being correctly PRINTED at the top of the page...but mere copying was beyond him.

The computer proved what I kept telling them both.."you MUST spell correctly ,otherwise the computer will not understand. It is stupid, it doesn't know what you mean, only what you say....GIGO (Garbage In Garbage Out )

Both are in computer-administration tasks, both spell reasonably well. aged 28 and 31.

Loose rivets
16th Jan 2009, 07:04
Too tired after cutting holes in walls and chipping up tiles, to talk of Tryptophan and the short-cut route to the brain via the Amygdala. But please, if you know of a child - or adult for that matter - that doesn't seem to be able to read normally, a month off cheese might just show an improvement. Mmmm...this means chocolate as well, but it's such an easy experiment, and one that I wish I'd been aware of 50 years ago.

I think that a kind of low-level migraine might be causal in some cases of dyslexia.

The difficulty with such lingering localized neurological problems, is that symptoms are often similar despite hugely different causes, but I'm now all but convinced of a link between Tryptophan and classical migraine. However, there are so many red herrings that slew small-scale trials, that it takes a large sample and good statistics to start seeing the wood from the trees.

The whole point of my post is that a young person may simply not be seeing text correctly in the first place. This makes learning an uphill or impossible struggle.

Funny thing, as mentioned I have, or had, a love of very quick cars. I also had roads virtually to myself at night, which 'allowed' the kit to be unleashed. Never had any problem with that, but not a single road-sign made its way into my noggin'. Jacki Stuart...and I think, his son, are profoundly dyslexic. I think he was fairly quick in a car.;)

Impress to inflate
16th Jan 2009, 08:39
I was diagnosed with Dyslexia at about 8 and was told that all I would become in life was a street cleaner so get over it. The teachers could give a stuff what I did in class for 4 years so I din't bother. My parents gave up with the school and sent me to a school with a good reputation for "kids who need help" What a difference it made to my life. At high school I started down the slippery slope with learning and left secondary with no highers (Scotish A levels). After eight years of working offshore and other jobs the opertunity came to go to flight school. I discovered that the tech side I found easy but the guys with degrees in under water basket weaving and applied maths stuggled. When it came to the nav subjects I really had to put my head down. I found a man in north london who had an a place that did special glasses for dyslexics and they worked !! It was like seeing for the first time. Words on the page stood still for the first time in my life.

Dyslexia is real and causes a lot heart ache for those who suffer with it.

arcniz
16th Jan 2009, 08:49
Hey Rivets: One has just recently become aware of a "diet supplement"
called 5-htp - a plant extract (grifonis simplicifolia) that is pure "hydroxytryptophan". Sold as a mood enhancer.. makes me sleep like a brick.. and awaken like a brick as well.

Perhaps this would be useful as a control for your trypto theories.. being all plant and pure whatever, it would seem ideal. Cheap and readily available, one reckons.

ExSp33db1rd
16th Jan 2009, 08:57
Long story reduced to 2 lines ....

Guy tells doctor he wants to be castrated. After the Op. wakes up and asks guy in next bed what he is in for ? Just been circumcised ,,,, Christ! THAT was the word !

Capt.KAOS
16th Jan 2009, 09:25
A few pounds of Latin verse with a wistfully reflective Gaelic chaser should have them quich to ground.Illud iterum dicere potes! Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur I was diagnosed with Dyslexia at about 8 and was told that all I would become in life was a street cleaner so get over it. Hey! You can even become POTUS. Or invent e=mc2

Some famous dyslectics:

Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Winston Chruchill, Walt Disney, Steve Jobs, Thomas Edison, Alexander Graham Bell, Michael Faraday, Isaac Newton, James Clerk Maxwell, Charles Darwin, Richard Branson, Henry Ford, Ted Turner, John Chambers (Cisco), William Hewlett (HP), George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, John F. Kennedy, Lyndon B. Johnson, George Burns, Werner von Braun, John von Neumann, Harrison Ford, Danny Glover, Whoopi Goldberg, Jay Leno, Quentin Tarantino, Robin Williams, Marilyn Monroe, Ansel Adams, George Patton, John Lennon, Cher, Kurt Cobain, Agatha Christie, Muhammad Ali, the prophet Muhammad (!?!), Bruce Jenner, Magic Johnson, Nolan Ryan, Charles Schwab, Nelson Rockefeller, F.W. Woolworth, William Butler Yeats, Ludwig van Beethoven, H. C. Andersen, Steven Spielberg, the Wright brothers, Stonewall Jackson, Fred Astaire, Harry Belafonte, Lewis Carroll, Ada Lovelace, Picasso, Vincent van Gogh, Robert Rauschenberg, Auguste Rodin, Michelangelo, Mark Twain, Ernest Hemingway, Gustave Flaubert, Charles Dickens, Ingvar Kamprad (IKEA), Tore Wretman (Swedish chef), Selma Lagerlöf (Nobel laureate)...

Captain Stable
16th Jan 2009, 10:22
Tore Wretman (Swedish chef)Not to mention Fozzy, Zoot, Rowf and the others...

ORAC
16th Jan 2009, 11:31
Or the pilot in Today's copy of The Times. :ooh::ooh:

Ladies and Gentlemen, may I please present: Boguslaw Mintowt-Czyz (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article5527821.ece)

And, no, I have absolutely no idea how to pronounce it...

tony draper
16th Jan 2009, 12:07
I think a lot of the strange names among the cousins are the result of dyslexic immigration officers on Ellis Island.
:rolleyes:

DAL208
18th Jan 2009, 12:53
If dyslexia really existed then countries as diverse as Nicaragua and South Korea would not have been able to achieve literacy rates of nearly 100%.

Maybe they dont and they cant count either

Captain Stable
18th Jan 2009, 15:55
Maybe they merely have better educational systems that don't merely treat the kids as a "one size fits all" case but actually take an interest in their development. Ask yourself why Cuba has a higher adult literacy rate than the USA.

In the UK you can tell everything about literacy and numeracy from the people queueing for the "Six Items or Less [sic]" tills in supermarkets and the signs above them.

engineer(retard)
18th Jan 2009, 16:26
Astounded that the Rt Hon Labour MP has blamed poor teaching given that this lot were elected on a mantra of education, education, education. At least he has not even tried to call it a global problem.

I know of 3 children diagnosed as dyslexics all about the same age from different schools. One of them is my youngest son. In my sons case his progress as measured by SATS results not only stalled, he went backwards. All of us had the kids tested, the schools did not see a problem, possibly because any tuition would have had to come from there own budget.

As for it being a fantasy probem to hide bad teaching, I do not believe it. I have seen my son try to pronounce "row" as "orw". However, longer words do not seem to trouble him. I also know of 2 adult number dyslexics, one of which is a chief engineer, so it is not a disability. In fact all of the 3 boys that have been diagnosed excel at 3D perception, and can unravel complex 2D patterns and tell you what the 3D shape should be. My dyslexic youngest son also won a county chess championship in an age group 2 years above his age. He can also carry out complex mathematical problems in his head, easier than he can write them. They are just wired differently.

regards

retard

StaceyF
18th Jan 2009, 16:38
While I believe that dyslexia is a real disease, I wouldn't be surprised if there are tons of people out there mis-diagnosed with it (through bad teaching, parenting or otherwise). Sort of (as I have read) is happening with ADD, ADHD and the increasingly common prescription of powerful medication like Ritalin in 'treating' them.

Agreed, it's your "Yoomin Rights" label being attached.

Kids can't read? "aww, he's dyslexic, bless him"....erm, no, he's thick

Badly behaved kids? "aww, lovable rogue he is, he's got that ADD"....erm, no, he's just badly behaved because his parents haven't instilled discipline into him so he hasn't got a clue what's right or wrong

And so on ad nauseum........

Bad parenting is the cancer that's destroying society.

Captain Stable
18th Jan 2009, 17:27
To a certain (significant) extent I have to agree with you, Stacey.

I have two nephews who are, collectively, the worst-behaved kids I've ever had the misfortune of having related to me. The elder, on his own, is handleable. The younger, on his own or with his brother, is a little vandal-orientated thug. The father (who rules the roost in that household) doesn't believe in any disciupline other than asking them nicely to behave. And they don't. They eat all sorts of [email protected] food, loaded with artificial preservatives, artificial colouring, artificial flavourings, salt and sugar and now refuse anything else - and sorry, but I DO believe that diet plays a part in "ADHD" [sic].

Our kids, particularly the youngest who is at the behaviour-forming stage, eats what we have - a good, mixed diet with plenty of fresh fruit and veg, and almost no sweets. She is also smacked when she misbehaves - after a warning. And she shows every sign of growing up into a normal, pleasant human being who loves her big sister and us, is suitably wary of strangers without excess fear, and gives the best cuddles of anyone I've ever met.

My next soap-box in the parenting category is the one labelled "Children are a lifestyle accessory", perpetrated by Madonna, many IVF parents and some single parents who consider it is their human right to have children, without considering that such children are not "theirs" but are human beings in their own right and that we have a duty to equip them adequately for life ahead by teaching them to get on with others, to stand on their own two feet, and not rely on everyone else to look out for them. If you want to saddle yourself with the burdens of parenthood, be aware that it is a lifetime commitment and you can't wash your hands of them when you outgrow your new toy. If that's what you want, get the latest Blackberry/iPod/Wii instead.

I also have no time whatsoever for anyone who trumpets their "rights" without considering their duties.

And finally, be aware that if your child doesn't perform up to par (as measured by the school/government/neighbours etc., it is not someone else's job to sort it out - it's yours. engineer(retard) put it well - some kids are merely wired differently. Some labelled "autistic" or "dyslexic" or "disabled (syndrome the latest)" turn out to be brilliant musicians or artists or, indeed, writers, engineers and pilots.

There is such a phenomenon as the right education (and the wrong education) for any given child. One size does not, and never will, fit all.

StaceyF
18th Jan 2009, 17:54
I also have no time whatsoever for anyone who trumpets their "rights" without considering their duties.

:D:D:D:D:D

As someone else once remarked; never mind about a Human Rights Act, how about a Human Responsibilities Act?

merlinxx
18th Jan 2009, 18:35
It is here:ok: When I was at school, I was a dunce:{ Why I'm dyslexic:mad::{

But it didn't stop me getting to here. I got in to one the most demanding, and intense, and loved part of the global transportation industry:E

Because I wanted to learn, I was mentored, thus I got to travel the world, work in places strange, met some of the most amazing people who are friends to this day.:ok:

Dyslexia was not identified when I were a lad, had it been, maybe I wouldn't have risen to the challenge, who knows?:D:E