PDA

View Full Version : Unusual lighting/antenna at Melbourne

drpixie
14th Jan 2009, 00:43
Driving past Melbourne airport recently (from Bulla), I noticed (maybe) new & odd stuff a little north of the threshold of runway 16. It looked like a row of black steel boxes open at the top (?), distinctly sawtoothed top edges, perhaps a little smaller than a 200l drum, outside one on each side leaning outwards.

Just curious but can anyone enlighten me as to what they are? New lighting? Special antenna? Tree guards?:ouch: Latest public sculpture? And are they going to start turning up everywhere?

I don't go that way often, so I don't know how recent they are. And I don't fly anything big enough to operate from ML, and there's nothing obvious in the current doco. So I'll risk a stupid question and throw it out to you on this interweb thingy.

Buster Hyman
14th Jan 2009, 00:45
It's the Mothership beacon for the people from Scumbury.

Peter Fanelli
14th Jan 2009, 01:04
Didn't we have a photo of these devices on another thread some time ago?

Lasiorhinus
14th Jan 2009, 01:26
Must have been in the More Photos thread.... I cant find it though.

drpixie
14th Jan 2009, 01:27
I didn't find anything in the search - but then I don't know what I'm looking for. :)

Lasiorhinus
14th Jan 2009, 01:33
come to think of it, the thread might have ended up in Jet Blast - as it did turn into a discussion on certain groups of New Australians with excessive sound systems in small japanese cars...

nick2007
14th Jan 2009, 01:55
I remember that thread - it's a noise monitoring system. Probably tied into the Airservices Webtrak thingy.

aviator777
14th Jan 2009, 21:45
http://www.pprune.org/d-g-general-aviation-questions/326906-installation-near-thr-rwy-16-melbourne.html

Seems like a very expensive and elaborate array just to monitor noise? Four microphones would be sufficient to get directional sound info for a noise footprint.

I like the windshear theory.....

nick2007
15th Jan 2009, 00:53
True, but a $20m website is also a very expensive way to placate the community about noise.

ringbinder
15th Jan 2009, 07:14
Happened to be far from my normal region of the Solomons recently by venturing into Perth and Port Headland on business. Both places have an unusual array of (outward sloping) antennas carrying lots of wires. What are these for? They seem more than the usual radio compass installation with which I'm a little familiar.

drpixie
15th Jan 2009, 07:47
Thanks Aviator777 - that's them. Following the threads, it looks like it's some kind of sonic detector of wake turbulence or wind shear.

Now why couldn't I find that with the search - computers :*