PDA

View Full Version : Dubai Corporate Flying

Movin on Up
13th Jan 2009, 22:45
I read that corporate aviation in Dubai is growing at 40% per year. That sounds a little exaggerated but nontheless the wife and I have been considering moving to Dubai for quite some time, and intend on staying there for a few years. I have read a lot of threads about Emirates, but does anyone have insight on the corporate market in Dubai? The U.S. market scares me. Thanks in advance.

Wizofoz
14th Jan 2009, 02:22
I have to say that if you are currently employed, I think you would be foolish to take a Corporate job in Dubai at the moment.

Whilst Emirates will probably (hopefully!!) weather the current financial storm, Dubai is getting hit hard by the economic downturn and, as is always the case, Business Aviation is one of the first casualties.

checcker10
14th Jan 2009, 04:57
A local newspaper recently ran an article saying how the corporate market was set to reduce dramatically.Dubai is in a downturn so I'd think it wouldn't be good time too move.
Sorry can't remember date of article
Cheers

CL604-Pilot
14th Jan 2009, 18:34
I agree with the previous posts. Dubai is a tough market nowadays... Coming to a foreign country where it is very tough to get used to, is a very difficult change, especially if coming with family.

Nowadays companies, not just aviation companies, are reducing housing allowances and giving less benefits, (from the previous ones which were crappy to begin with).

Dubai is a VERY expensive city to live in, the only thing that is cheap here is food...other than that, everything else is expensive.

Emirates is a good option because they take care of you as far as paying for all of your housing costs (utilities included). But corporate arena is very tough. They just give you a lousy housing allowance that will not be enough to rent anything that you would like. You woul dbe forced to move to Sharjah so you can make ends meet.

All of ,y friends that work for other companies, have told me tht their companies are starting to drastically cut costs. Even if in your contract it states that you get business class tickets back home, now they will give you economy. No salary raises, even though the inflation and cost of everything has gone way up...these are the things that you will be dealing with, and the arabs are not a easy crowd to deal with...

just my 2 cents on the subject...

Movin on Up
15th Jan 2009, 03:55
My current flying job is probably stable but extremely low paying for a professional pilot. 1st year FO's make 35K and upgrades just came to a halt. Is Dubai THAT bad?

Wizofoz
15th Jan 2009, 07:02
35K is more than the zero you would get if a job folds here.

CERTAINLY if you have the experience and can get on with Emirates, Etihad, or, as a last resort Qatari, you will, at least monetarily, be better off. Oman Air, Royal Jordanian, Al Zarera and Air Arabia might also be worth a look, and FlyDubai would be good IF it goes ahead, but corporate flying here is looking very shakey.

What position would you be in if you went to the trouble and expense of moving here, only to find your job had evaporated and you had to leave again?

Dubai has been a bubble ecconomy and the bubble has burst. The paper today said the sixty THOUSAND people will be permanently leaving the country by March.