PDA

View Full Version : As350b2 Ifr ????

Scandinavian
13th Jan 2009, 13:43
Does anybody know about any AS350B2 approved for IFR training/flying like e.g. the LongRanger...

ShyTorque
13th Jan 2009, 17:23
Don't think so, at least not in UK.

Whirlygig
13th Jan 2009, 17:28
The Long Ranger is a Bell 206L, not a single squirrel. In the UK, Bristows have a JetRanger for IR training but it may be retired soon. That is the only one.

Cheers

Whirls

DynamicallyUnstable
14th Jan 2009, 03:51
For training only I don't see why it wouldn't be fine, you just couldn't go actual. The r44 isn't IFR certificated but fine for training.

Whirlygig
14th Jan 2009, 06:52
Not in the UK it isn't, I'm afraid.

Cheers

Whirls

helimutt
14th Jan 2009, 07:23
Whirlygig, technically, you can use any helicopter you want for IFR 'training' as long as you don't fly outside of it's certification. ie in actual IMC.
Can't think of any reason why not. I know one guy used to practice holds and ndb approaches in his R44, after he had a quite comprehensive instrument kit fitted.
You can learn all of the procedures in an R22/R44 if you want, as long as they have enough instruments fitted to allow it. There are a couple of IFR trainers of that type about. Some schools used to use the R22 for the IR course. They wouldn't be going IMC though.

Don't know of any other single eng helicopters in the UK certified for IFR/IMC training except for the Bristows machine.

nigelh
14th Jan 2009, 09:23
Why is there only one 206 that is certified and why cant it go actual imc? Is it just due to caa regs or certification ? Secondly i sometimes fly in a 500 which is ifr certified on N reg , why would it not be possible to copy all the systems on board and get a second one certified ? As i am a believer that more ifr capability in singles ( obviously with the appropriate pilot training and new low cost high tech autopilots etc) is the way to a safer future just as i believe the imc rating has worked in fixed wing . I do believe that a lot of the opposition to this is from twin pilots who dont want to share their airspace with riff raff . ( I can well understand that but Robinsons could be excluded )
I know of one or two b2,s and 3,s which can and do fly ifr and have done for years but none are what you might call legal albeit they ate safe and have same panel as a twin.

helimutt
14th Jan 2009, 09:45
that's right. Us twin drivers don't want to share airspace with singles. Beneath us all you know! :)

If people are flying sinlges illegally, then lets hope nothing happens to them which might just invalidate their insurance. My new year resolution is to not get into a discussion with Nigelh re the pros and cons of singles in IMC.:ok:

;)

Hippolite
14th Jan 2009, 10:42
The Bristow Bell 206 certified for IFR training can fly in actual IMC providing the cloud base is 1500' or there was a special dispensation to allow actual with a cloud base of 1000' if training was being conducted within a "local" area.

This may, of course be ancient history now but that's how it was in the 1990s.

helicopter-redeye
14th Jan 2009, 14:39
There are other 206 machines certified for IFR Flight (the L1 Longranger II O-PJ in Denmark for instance). It has force trim, 2 jennys, full nav kit, etc

and is easier to fly in NBD holds than an R44 with a full instrument set

and safer

There are one or two in Sweden also I believe.

h-r

(sorry the system told me I had to answer a question and I'm afraid to refuse the system)

nigelh
14th Jan 2009, 23:23
Dont say they are safe :eek: you will only get old helimut all steamed up about it := It is obvious they cannot be safe because they only have one engine....

widgeon
14th Jan 2009, 23:33
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/168B4FAD7328F8FF86256DF300686DD5?OpenDocument&Highlight=ifr

Supplemental Type Certificate (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/AB901D79BCA4506786256DF3006894C2?OpenDocument&Highlight=ifr)

Supplemental Type Certificate (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgstc.nsf/0/3265FA683F2582E386256D5E006A6B34?OpenDocument&Highlight=ifr)

Interesting that the AS350 were only for specific serial numbers.

rotorrookie
15th Jan 2009, 08:13
ROSLAGENS HELIKOPTERFLYG - FLYGSKOLAN ATT LITA PÅ (http://proflight.se/)

Proflight used to offer their 206 LR for IFR training. I think they have AS-350 too