PDA

View Full Version : Should I be shocked?

General_Kirby
13th Jan 2009, 11:10
Am I being naive or is this really London these days? Not having visited for many years...I never saw this even mentioned on the news not a mind reported with the same ferocity as Prince Harrys latest blunder.

YouTube - Radical Islam Over Runs London Streets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZNx0xHe0p0)

FlyingOfficerKite
13th Jan 2009, 12:02
Dangerous ground.

Took my partner to London last summer - it was her first visit.

She (rather naively) thought it would be full of English people.

Remember if you're an Englishman you have very little say these days without offending someone.

Everyone else has free reign - English people can't comment. They're not allowed.

KR

FOK :)

dakkg651
13th Jan 2009, 12:22
If you think London is bad you ought to try Birmingham!

angels
13th Jan 2009, 12:48
What utter cods.

General - I don't think you're being naive, I think you're being a wind up merchant. Of course one nutter doesn't represent London.

FO Kite -

It is. Perhaps you're alluding to people with a slightly higher melanin content than you? You know, the sort of thing millions of Britons attempt to acquire every summer. Are you? If so, you'll probably find the bulk of them are Londoners born and bred.

If you don't like London, just stay away. I live here. I was born here. It's not perfect, but I like it.

Now its orf darn the frog and into the rub for a daffy of reeb me old China. :}

Effluent Man
13th Jan 2009, 12:59
The preacher was great,very,very funny...reminded me of something else "Lord Nelson,Clement Attlee, Winston Churchill,Maggie Thatcher...We gave your boys a hell of a beating"

angels
13th Jan 2009, 13:27
effluent - nice one. Hadn't thought of that.

YouTube - Norway 2 England 1 1981 Commentary (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqZTP8-8wIs)

Effluent Man
13th Jan 2009, 13:47
Nice link,enjoyed it again,I had forgotten Lord Beaverbrook and Henry Cooper.

Storminnorm
13th Jan 2009, 13:58
Wish I could forget Maggie Thatcher. :E

Wiley
13th Jan 2009, 14:16
Watching the clip in Post #1, with the police retreating from an unruly mob who KNOW they're as safe as houses from prosecution, let along a bruised head, I find myself wondering how many of today's serving police officers wish that there could be a sort of mass reverse "Life on Mars", with a couple of wagon loads of old school, pre-PC coppers magically transported from "back then" to today's England - truncheons (and pre-P.C. attitudes) in hand.

Even if it can't ever come to pass in real life, it'd make for an interesting TV series, wouldn't it?

Effluent Man
13th Jan 2009, 14:21
Certainly times have changed.I think it's not just police officers who would like to see a more appropriate response to such a rabble,regardless of race or religion.

angels
13th Jan 2009, 14:40
Wiley - I rather think you've stumbled upon a spiffing idea here!

Juud
13th Jan 2009, 15:06
Ange, thanks for posting that clip; it's been a while since I saw it last. :ok:

While they are generally as agitated as your large succulent, sports is the one thing that will cause a Norwegian to go passionate (completely bonkers) in public.
In the same way, whenever they use a metaphor, 9 times out of 10 it will be sports, and particularly cross-country skiing, related. After 20 years of speaking the lingo, they still sometimes 'catch me out' with those. ;)

Chesty Morgan
13th Jan 2009, 15:29
I do agree with one part of the first clip. At about 33 seconds the rather irate bearded chap yelled "Let Tony Blair go to Hell".

Couldn't agree more.

Union Jack
13th Jan 2009, 15:54
Should I be shocked?

No - irrespective of religious or political belief, we should all be shocked that this sort of behaviour should be tolerated - I use the word advisedly - anywhere in this PC-mad country.

Jack

Evanelpus
13th Jan 2009, 16:02
Took my partner to London last summer - it was her first visit.

You must be kiddin' mate, go to Marbella or just about anywhere on the Costa Del Sol and you'll find more Brits there than you will around Central London. I think it's dreadful if you ask a shop assistant something and they look at you as if you come from the Moon!

birrddog
13th Jan 2009, 16:08
Too late to be shocked, been like that for years.

I do remember however a funny incident, in think it was in '98, when I was coming back from Amsterdam to London (as I did every week-end at the time), and the woman at immigration, upon looking at my then "Ancestral visa" said "You bloody South Africans will do anything to come into this country, won't you".

The fact that, well, England was my ancestral home, and well, lets just say, I think she was one of Prince Harry's army mates friends and thus highly unlikely she could make the same claim, made me chuckle.

All I could do was pause, smile at her (with the above thought in my mind), and walk along.

Caractacus
16th Jan 2009, 20:35
Remember if you're an Englishman you have very little say these days without offending someone.

I am English born and bred. My family tree goes back over five hundred years in England. However, the place no longer feels like home. It's not what people look like - it's the lack of English culture that I mourn. You get it back, to an extent, if you move to the Celtic outer reaches of the British Isles. But then you have to be a bit Scottish, Irish, Welsh, Cornish or even Manx!

RIP John Bull.

tony draper
16th Jan 2009, 20:43
One is a tad supprised they dont call buggas like me Native British.:rolleyes:

GrumpyOldFart
16th Jan 2009, 20:49
Cold steel. They don't like it up 'em.

:*

Fruity Tones
16th Jan 2009, 21:57
Indeed, Squire Draper, you would be classified as autochthonous.

gingernut
16th Jan 2009, 22:04
The video is disturbing, on several grounds:

I just hope though, that this thread doesn't descend into a racial hatred thread.

I've just come back from Bradford today. I noticed a lot of black faces.

My kids didn't.

Let's hope we're getting somewhere.

barry lloyd
17th Jan 2009, 08:30
It is. Perhaps you're alluding to people with a slightly higher melanin content than you? You know, the sort of thing millions of Britons attempt to acquire every summer. Are you? If so, you'll probably find the bulk of them are Londoners born and bred.

I go to London regularly - I don't have a choice, because as we're shown every day by the London-based media, it's the most important city.
It's not about colour, (some of my best friends etc.), but wherever I go, there are people who are not British. One of my current aims in life is to find a hotel receptionist in London whose first language is English. Ditto the staff in large department stores or restaurants. In many cases their English seems to be very limited. The Bolivian barman in a well-known restaurant chain was delighted recently when I ordered the drinks in Spanish, and he admitted to me that he didn't really speak English at all, and wasn't sure what a pint was!
In my visits to other countries in Europe the people I deal with in the service industries are invariably from that country, eg Rome, Athens, Lisbon, Madrid etc. As I walk along the streets around London, I don't hear very much English being spoken. Cultural diversity is all very well, but as with everything in life, there are limits, and I think in London's case we passed them some years ago.

If you don't like London, just stay away. I live here. I was born here. It's not perfect, but I like it.

Fair comment. I feel the same way about Liverpool.

Avitor
17th Jan 2009, 08:47
The sting is not in the immigrants, or the varied colours.

The sting is coming from those who tell us (indigenous) how to behave.

Don't bother with the Normans, Romans and Saxons, I've heard it all before. :)

Blacksheep
19th Jan 2009, 07:46
The sting is coming from those who tell us (indigenous) how to behave. Mrs BS is a foreigner, as brown as a bar of Cadbury's. She's only here because her children and grandchildren are here - and they of course are, by direct descent through the male line, from NE English stock traceable back to the late 1600s. Both Mrs BS and I would far rather be living in her native Malaysia. On the subject of immigration she is very close to the BNP. As she says, "all these trouble makers make life difficult for those of us with a genuine connection with UK."

(Her father by the way, was KIA serving our own Queen & Country in the Royal Corps of Signals)