PDA

View Full Version : Etihad?

portapottysalesman
12th Jan 2009, 23:40
EY has has cancelled future class dates thru the spring. Anyone have any info on this situation?? I was hoping for an interview soon but this does not sound promising. :ugh:

happydays1
12th Jan 2009, 23:53
150 airplane on order sound promising enough ****!!!

portapottysalesman
13th Jan 2009, 01:04
What is the word?? 150 airplanes being promising or classes being cancelled?? :confused:

alex1987
13th Jan 2009, 01:15
By class dates do you mean the Cadet program?

portapottysalesman
13th Jan 2009, 01:19
Noo.. not the cadet program. I am talking about people actually getting hired, receiving class dates and than 2 weeks later receiving a cancellation notice without further information :eek:

NineInchSnail
13th Jan 2009, 01:22
Apparently EY is not getting the 2 A320 they were supposed to get this spring so they cancelled the classes for FEb, March and Apr.

Now the questiuon is, what happened in the last 2 weeks to those A320s. One day EY is getting them and the next day not anymore? sounds fishy to me......any insider's idea?

GMDS
13th Jan 2009, 04:48
I'll give you a taste of all the rumours flying around the Gulf:

EK is getting rid of 5 A330s (might move south)
EY is not getting its 2 A320s
EK realised its A380 makes more money sitting than flying, will eventually stop receiving after 12 units ..... (might be converted to A350s)
FlyDubai is on very, very low steam (might serve 2 airports on a different name once started)
EK is retraining some local A380 skippers back to the A330 (will have to work on this plane)
EY and EK are in advanced talks of cooperation (Emirates United)

Heavy stuff, now try to make a decent picture of it --
I can't at the moment, but I would assume recruitment will be heavily affected.

Jet II
13th Jan 2009, 05:37
Now the questiuon is, what happened in the last 2 weeks to those A320s. One day EY is getting them and the next day not anymore? sounds fishy to me......any insider's idea?

well last I heard AD has bought 47% of Emirates - Emirates brand will survive, Etihad will gradually disappear, FlyDubai is going ahead under another name which will make shorthaul services from the ex-Etihad unnecessary.

Well that's what the girl down the Rattlesnake told me.. ;)

CanadaRocks
13th Jan 2009, 06:00
With the EY and EK merger talks floating around, has any one else heard that the EY CEO will not get a contract extension?

Jet II
13th Jan 2009, 08:17
I would have been surprised had he got an extension even without a merger with EK

portapottysalesman
13th Jan 2009, 14:32
Anyone know what the actual currency requirments are?? I will be coming up on 6 months in the spring.

Laker
13th Jan 2009, 19:41
From what I understand to qualify for the short course training you need to have flown the aircraft within six months of your start date. I don't know if it is possible to get an extension. I believe they can put you through the long course training if your currency expires. It would seem odd to just flush you out of the pool after spending thousands on interviewing/etc....But who knows?

saviboy
14th Jan 2009, 17:18
I am wondering how the furloughed guys who will be running out of currency will be affected.
will EY be willing to spend the extra training money for a full course or are these guys going to simply be taken out of the pool.

anyways good luck to all.

GMDS
15th Jan 2009, 01:59
Cool down Tiger.
EY will survive, as will EK. Economical logic just dictates that with any kind of cooperation you would be well advised to keep the brand with higher value and market penetration. What's behind is another story.
A coming together simply seems the most viable solution in the upcoming storm even for ME aviation.
Dubai seems in a little cash shortage, AbuDhabi not. Etihad is still making considerable losses, Emirates works profitable. EK is a worldwide brand, EY might be known in the ME and partly in Europe, but even there it is widely mistaken for Emirates.
All this bodes quite nicely for a "Emirates United" which could consist of both companies.

CanadaRocks
15th Jan 2009, 09:23
United Emirates Airlines sounds better don't you think. Or just keep it as Emirates!

Only my 2 cents forth....1.5 cents US...lol

White Knight
15th Jan 2009, 10:29
GMDS - the 380 skippers going back to 330 I hear is 'cos of the insurance requirement of 3000 hours command time.. Of course, that's a rumour that I heard so it might be total garbage..

Togalk
15th Jan 2009, 10:37
There will be NO merge. This rumour has been going around for more than 4 years.

Ancient Observer
15th Jan 2009, 13:28
The rumours are just that - rumours. Whilst anything could happen, readers need to think with a Middle Eastern mind-set, not a Western one. Thus, Western "logic" does not necessarily apply! Think more about pride, egos, and jobs for my cousins.

portapottysalesman
18th Jan 2009, 21:55
Any information when recruiting & class dates will resume??

outofsynch
19th Jan 2009, 05:24
when they can find some apartmets or hotels to put the candidates in!