PDA

View Full Version : TinTin turns 80

garp
12th Jan 2009, 21:46
Tintin, still as popular as ever 80 years on
3 days ago

BRUSSELS (AFP) Cartoon legend Tintin, a rare reporter to rise to world fame having barely written an article, celebrates his 80th birthday this weekend as popular as ever.

The immortal boy reporter -- the most loved figure in cartoon-mad Belgium's history -- first appeared on January 10, 1929 bound for the Soviet Union, in a supplement to the Roman Catholic Brussels weekly, Le Vingtieme Siecle.

Since then, 24 comic books about his adventures have been translated into more than 50 languages, with over 200 million copies sold and new young fans attracted to what appears to be a timeless and certainly ageless character.

It has been a long career that the death in 1983 of his creator, Georges Remi -- alias Herge -- has not compromised, with his descendants refusing to hand over the rights to Tintin.

Yet he may be immortalised on screen soon. With the agreement of Herge's wife, Fanny Rodwell, US film-maker Steven Spielberg plans to make a trilogy of cartoon movies, the first expected out next year.

http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/2524/tintincoverexplorersontok7.jpg

Lon More
12th Jan 2009, 21:59
Lots of TinTin and more at the Comic Museum (http://www.awn.com/mag/issue4.03/4.03pages/moinsbrussels.php3) in Brussels

cortilla
12th Jan 2009, 22:40
Tintin was the first comic that my parents ever bought for me and i was hooked from day one, and not once did i realise that the first cartoon was written before even my parents were born.

However i do feel a 'name 10 famous belgians' thing coming along. Tintin counts as he was written by a belgian, and for that reason Poirot does not!!

I'll kick things off. A man from my home city. Pieter Paul Rubens

birrddog
12th Jan 2009, 22:47
cortilla you asked for it!!!

Here goes....

Jean-Claude Van Damme (or should that be van Damme??)

Funny how his Financial Advisor (self professed) didn't find it amusing when I pointed out he was one of the few famous Belgians, but then again, he was French :p