PDA

View Full Version : TC ATPL to FAA ATP confusion!

Carrier
12th Jan 2009, 19:19
Where may one find out the full information on converting ALL of a TC ATPL to an equivalent FAA ATP?

Using the Search function brings up all sorts of threads that just do not provide the full answers. Both the FAA and TC and providers of study materials such as Gleim do not seem to know the details of the conversion agreement that came into effect a year or so ago. The information on their various websites is contradictory and vague. Talking to employees of these organisations also results in contradictory and confusing information. This agreement is supposed to provide for an equivalent licence/permit to be issued upon passing a 40 question examination and without requiring any flight test. The reality seems to be anything but! It is ridiculous that both TC and the FAA do not know what they agreed to or what was signed!

There is all sorts of confusion as to what is actually converted and how it must be done. For example, there is uncertainty as to whether the 40 question exam is sufficient on its own of if a separate exam is required to have an Instrument rating included. Are land and sea ratings converted? Are both single and multi-engine ratings converted? How about Type ratings? How about such add-ons as Dangerous Goods and First Aid certificates? Is an equivalent radio operator’s licence included? How about a night rating and tail wheel rating, which is apparently a separate item in the US?

Where exactly can a member of the public find out what may be converted and how to convert it?

Here is the basic pilot licence that Canada has provided:
ATPL - Aeroplane, Single & Multi-Engine, Land & Sea, Transport Canada
Group 1 Instrument Rating, Transport Canada
Category 1 Medical, Transport Canada
Aeronautical Radio Operator’s Restricted Certificate, Communications Canada
Various Type ratings and a PPC card

How does one obtain the American equivalent of ALL of the above, using the Canada/USA agreement to recognise each other’s aviation licences and permits?

outofsight
12th Jan 2009, 23:22
I have just started converting my FAA ATP to TC and it is confusing.

The TC web site provides some good info at least for going in the US to Canada route anyway. Try the search function at the top right ish. It comes up with the checklist they use at TC to check through the US ratings.

Good luck with it, from a US side it looks like if all your US ratings are up to date including an Instrument Prof check within the last 24 months (yes that is a bit weird from a US side) then all you need is the Canadian medical and the written test.

TRey
13th Jan 2009, 04:59
recently, my canadian buddy converted his TC to FAA ATP. went off without a hitch.

fill out the FAA application form, you will receive a letter from the FAA saying they have verified your ATPL and to come on down to the FSDO that you specified in the application where you will get the FAA license.

take the FAA conversion part 121 ATP written...40 questions lasergrade has centers in Canada as well

bring the letter, FAA medical, latest PPC or type ride results, results of written exam, logbook and a copy of AC60-35(I think it is-35, but maybe wrong on the dash) Actually I checked it and it is AC 61-135

this is the critical document(google it) 99% of FAA FSDO people will try to give a PPL instead of the conversion, most have no clue that this program exists. the AC explains step by step how the inspector should proceed and a checklist of what you need. then they will call oak city because they are confused and dont believe you, and will only issue after OKC tells them how.

like I said it is news to the FSDO that this thing exists. I understand the frustration, I set the whole thing up for him since I know people at the FSDO, but even then, I got deer-in-headlights looks.

night and instrument rating is integral to the ATP, so proof of night flying from logbook is required. Tailwheel is only an endorsement in a logbook for FAA instructor, so if you got it in TC, no need. Type ratings are converted, no problem there.

FAA ATP will have a limitation of "only valid when accompanied by TC license #______"

hope that helps a little and good luck

SAS-A321
13th Jan 2009, 18:40
I just wanna add a question about converting TC to FAA.

Is it better to convert to FAA immediately after obtaining my TC CPL/IR or should I wait until I have an TC ATPL?

If I convert immediately will I obtain a TC ATPL and FAA ATPL when passing 1500 hours?

TRey
13th Jan 2009, 23:13
I believe that would depend on your objective. If you do what you propose, then, you would need to re-validate when you got your TC ATPL and go through the process again:ugh: I would offer that if you wanted the FAA CPL for employment reasons and that job did not require an FAA ATPL, you have nothing to lose by doing that immediately, and everything to gain:ok:

floppyjock
14th Jan 2009, 03:26
Dont know if this link helps.

Flight Crew Licensing - Conversion Agreement between U.S. and Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/general/personnel/USConversion.htm)

Ive got my conversion exam on thursday FAA CPL to TC CPL

Floppy

readbackincorrect
15th Jan 2009, 21:53
I am currently trying to review the FAR 121 for the conversion ATP.....any specific subparts people suggest or is the test prep material sufficient to deal with these subparts...there are many. Any guidance to focus my study would be of great help.

Cheers!

floppyjock
15th Jan 2009, 22:08
Hi there

Just passed the FAA CPL to TC CPL this morning. So dont know if this helps for ATP. Only material I had was the Canadian AIM

Questions on airlaw and procedures ie

Class B airspace
Reporting accidents
Icing regs
Crew member qualifications
flight duty time
class F airspace
VFR crusing altitutes
Life jackets per aircraft
MF
VFR freq
pilot currency

Floppy

varigflier
15th Jan 2009, 23:10
Thanks for the info floppy. I will be doing mine for the ATP soon...

VF

Carrier
28th Jan 2009, 22:04
Thanks for the replies but they do not clear up the confusion. Let me point out a couple of examples.

Quote: “FAA ATP will have a limitation of "only valid when accompanied by TC license #______"
That’s what I have on the FAA Private Pilot Certificate that was issued many years ago on the basis of my TCCA CPL. It is a validation that enables me to legally fly US registered planes, but it is in no way a conversion from one licence to the other.
This agreement is supposed to result in the FAA and TCCA recognising each other’s licences so that the holder of a licence/permit of one country may obtain a STAND-ALONE licence/permit from the other. The quote above, if correct, indicates that all one obtains is effectively just a VALIDATION, not a CONVERSION.
AC 61-135 indicates that a pilot must have a valid licence or permit in effect in order to obtain the other country’s equivalent but it does not say that once converted the pilot then has to maintain the first country’s licence/permit.
Does this agreement enable a pilot to obtain a stand-alone licence/permit from the other country or is it effectively merely a validation of your first country’s licence/permit that still has to be maintained and carried with you?

AC 61-135 states on page 1:
“Applicability. These procedures are available to holders of FAA pilot certificates and Transport Canada Civil Aviation (TCCA) pilot licenses in the airplane category of aircraft at the private, commercial, and airline transport pilot (ATP) levels of licenses or certificates. The following ratings or qualification are included: instrument rating, class ratings of Airplane Single Engine Land (ASEL) and Airplane Multi-Engine Land (AMEL), type ratings, and night qualification”
Then on page 9 it states “• Must hold a TCCA ATP License—AMEL “ and “NOTE: TCCA does not issue the ASEL rating on its ATP License.”
Something wrong there! My TCCA ATPL states ”Aeroplane, Single & Multi-Engine, Land & Sea” Note the word "Single". TCCA does issue the ASEL rating on its ATPL so that is what I want on the FAA equivalent ATP. It is in the list of ratings that are supposed to be recognised for this process.

The reason for wanting answers is that it is much easier to maintain currency and do renewals overseas for the FAA. TCCA seems to be unaware that there are Canadian pilots who are based overseas for long periods of time let alone live there on a permanent basis. Their attitude is that all Canadians have to return to Canada at their own considerable expense for IR renewals, etc. The FAA has examiners in various locations overseas. I would like to obtain the FAA ATP and drop the TCCA ATPL.
I have three times obtained the confirmation that my TCCA licence is valid. I have not proceeded to invest a lot of time and money beyond that until I know for sure exactly what I will receive. The documents are contradictory and posters have mentioned that FAA employees do not know what it is all about. Does anybody know the answers? Is there anyone who has completed the TCCA ATPL to FAA ATP conversion and is able to say exactly what he received and through which office?

Speedbird48
28th Jan 2009, 23:20
Carrier,

Send me a PM before you get further into the mire. You have been listening to too much hearsay.

Speedbird 48.

Carrier
24th Feb 2009, 15:42
I am looking for suitable study material for the ATP 40 question conversion examination. Is there any alternative to the Gleim online course? On another forum somebody pointed out that the Gleim online course cannot be reopened after a section is done and Gleim states that their courses can only be accessed for a maximum of six months.
I prefer to have a hard copy, either a printed manual or CD-ROM, that I can refer to in future. Two years ago I discarded my nearly three decades old copy of From the Ground Up and bought a current version that refers to the CARS and such “modern” things as GPS. I find it worthwhile to retain decent study material and to be able to refer to it from time to time. Not providing this ability is a shortcoming of the Gleim online courses. What are the study material options for the ATP conversion exam?

varigflier
24th Feb 2009, 21:30
You can get the Gleim book or the CD if you want to have it in your computer. Another choice is ASA. They also have books and CDs available. If you do a search on google you will see more options:ok:

express315
1st Mar 2009, 16:06
I was using ASA FAA ATP book which was almost one year old at the time
and still the content matched the actual exam questions by 90 percent or so.

flatfilea4
7th Mar 2009, 02:37
I've been using Dauntless Software for study - their FAA CPL and Instrument packages include the appropriate TC to FAA question banks. The software supplies explanations and references in addition to the questions and answers.

Cheers