PDA

View Full Version : monarch sacking more staff

smudgethecat
12th Jan 2009, 19:08
Heard today Monarch sacking around fifty line engineers.

G-BGDC
12th Jan 2009, 21:02
Why and how are Monarch sacking staff? Do you mean being made redundant? Must have been a hell of an MOR incident! Please elaborate...

Golf Delta Charlie...:confused:

boeing_eng
12th Jan 2009, 21:41
Unlikely to be 50 line Eng's (from what I've heard a fair number are back office staff)

Litebulbs
12th Jan 2009, 22:05
Being dismissed by means of redundancy. Sacked! You were employed and then you were not.

student88
13th Jan 2009, 00:10
Who's going to keep those A300s in tip top condition until the 787s arrive?

Mr @ Spotty M
13th Jan 2009, 05:06
The letter that went out yesterday said 45 people to lose jobs at MAEL, it did not say Line as you have reported, it did not say Luton as reported in the Luton thread.
The actual areas with numbers to go will be come clear within the next few days.
The airline also to lose 10 back room staff as well.

tested satis
14th Jan 2009, 16:20
As an ex Monarch eng, I would just like to say all the best during this period. All the guys I worked with at LGW are top blokes. Looks like Monarch are rewarding the staffs flexibility in the only way they know how!

red 5
14th Jan 2009, 23:37
A bit harsh smudgethecat,as an ex monarch apprentice i worked there for a very enjoyable 21 years and had a great time. Top blokes and a great company, sad that things come to this.

nightshifthater
16th Jan 2009, 12:27
Lets hope the Aer Lingus and Globespan contracts are won by Monarch. Hopefully no redundancies then. Lets hope the pencil pushers in the offices get their finger out and cement the deal. There are a lot of worried engineers at LGW at the moment.:bored:

boeing_eng
16th Jan 2009, 21:51
Smudgethecat......Is that chip on your shoulder weighing you down!!?:}

Horwood
17th Jan 2009, 13:41
Bodes well for a happy ship. Within two weeks of the new guy taking command,18 people at LGW are placed under threat of loosing thier livelihoods.Perhaps the old guy did not think it neccessary or have the guts to carry out the redundancies. That said he did have the guts to fall on his sword and "retire".

Raffles
18th Jan 2009, 20:44
Heard that the GSM contract is staying with the "tea cup" guys, apparently MON wanted them to sign up for 5 years!!!!

fiver
19th Jan 2009, 09:05
Bet those guys who turned down the A300 course last winter are wishing they had not as it puts them at a disadvantage :{

simonchowder
24th Jan 2009, 17:02
Sorry and suprised to see monarch laying off licensed engineers, speaking as someone who has been involved in trying to source suitably experienced licensed chaps with most of the popular airbus and boeing types on their licences i can honestly say you wont be unemployed for long!, get your cv onto aviation jobsearch ASAP.
Aviation Jobs, Jobs in Aviation, Aviation Jobs London, Aviation Recruitment, AviationJobSearch (http://www.aviationjobsearch.com/)

simonchowder
31st Jan 2009, 18:10
Doesnt look like these job losses are the end sadly, a top honcho at monarch has allegedly let it slip in a meeting with the staff involved that base maintenance is to be " hit hard " later in the year.

BAe146s make me cry
2nd Feb 2009, 09:35
Horwood

Did NC leave before these redundancies were dished out?

Simonchowder

Unfortunately, there's going to be a quite a few LAEs floating
around soon, not just ex-MAEL staff. We simply cannot compete
with Europe for Base MX. Level playing field? My avionics arse.

Well done our friendly NAA, the UKCAA :D

BAe146??? And self serving, incompetent lodge members :{:{:{

riggersblood
8th Feb 2009, 12:34
Anybody got any more information on this yet? Hangar, Base or Line there's a lot of good people there and the job market is pretty dismal right now, I've got a mate still looking for work after the Excel collapse.

GS John
10th Feb 2009, 11:39
I'd not be surprised if BCT aren't looking for people with 73, 75 and 767 cover ;)

simonchowder
10th Feb 2009, 15:08
Good luck to them, nothing like letting your rival take the hit on training folks at great expense, and then sack them, giving you the chance to snap up well qualified chaps and further the business.

hull city
15th Feb 2009, 19:45
good luck to all those that do lose their jobs

Horwood
16th Feb 2009, 12:02
To put this thread to bed,the LGW engineers selected for redundancy have now left the company.With all their training,experience and cover they will be a good "purchase" by a forward looking company but I fear the bean counters will prevent this happening in the near future,at least in the UK. The numbers selected were reduced slightly due to concessions made by the remaining staff,but the percentage of the total is still significant.
Best Wishes and Better Luck for the future for all concerned.

Horwood

Wodrick
16th Feb 2009, 13:44
From My Maintrol position dealt with the LGW engineers all the time when they were looking after our 767s Good luck for the future lads.