PDA

View Full Version : I've ate all the pies-diet advice required please.

gingernut
12th Jan 2009, 18:42
Ok, this is not not pretty.

http://i553.photobucket.com/albums/jj385/JBMods1/FAT.jpg

Real ale's getting replaced by a crisp white and the odd VAT, gradually the crisps/take-aways are being reduced, and Max is enjoying his 4 miles a day round Tatton Park.

But anyone else got any tips?

hellsbrink
12th Jan 2009, 18:44
Lots of guinness and a double vindaloo, you'll lose 10kg overnight

Say again s l o w l y
12th Jan 2009, 18:47
122kgs.........Blimey. I assume you're 7ft tall!

I have 3 tips. The first 2 are from Billy Connolly.

1. Move more.
2. Eat less.

The third is slightly more controversial, but worked for me. Get cancer. I lost 3 stone without trying. Very efficient. Risky move though!

Whirlygig
12th Jan 2009, 18:50
Take your boots off before you weigh yourself :} Them's heavy is them boots.

Cheers

Whirls

gingernut
12th Jan 2009, 18:50
Get cancer. I lost 3 stone without trying.:D

Gotta give it to you mate, a fantastic sense of humour, but if its all the same, I'll give it a miss for now:)

the incivil beast
12th Jan 2009, 18:51
remove your shoes before stepping on the scales ...
:}

BTW, shouldn't that be "I've eaten all the pies ?"

Whirly, you beat me by one minute !

Radar66
12th Jan 2009, 18:53
Check yer pms Ginger... :ok:

ShyTorque
12th Jan 2009, 18:54
Hyperthyroidism worked for me. Eat all you like and still lose weight at a very rapid rate. Even though the double vision makes it look like there's twice as much food on the table, you can still eat it all. You have to be careful that it doesn't drop off the fork though, the shakes make it difficult to get it in your mouth. And you need the aircon turned up to maximum. The resting heart rate of over 180 bpm is a downside, it's true..... :(

SoundBarrier
12th Jan 2009, 18:55
You DID eat all the pies!! :}

Something that worked for me - I lost 15Kg in about 8 weeks and it was not hard.

1. Reduce your meal sizes by 1/3rd and BE HONEST
2. Exercise - 2-6km of running (or equivalent) per day (5 days a weeks is OK)
3. For the initial 3 weeks drop the beer and refined breads
4. Keep drinking water during the day

Other than that I ate what I wanted and when I wanted and I was as happy as Larry and I am still doing the same today. Easy peasy.

P.S. Can I have one of em Pies?

Loose rivets
12th Jan 2009, 18:56
Flippin 'ek! That's 19,1/2 stone innit?

Bloke said to me in one of my Christmas pudding phases, "Want to get rid of 20lbs of ugly fat?"

"Yes!" Says I, all wide-eyed with anticipation.

"Cut yer head off." Laughs he, as he beat a hasty retreat.

I've concluded that Lippo-suction is the only real answer. From the day I decided I'd got a weight problem, I've gone from 13 - 15 stone and back with monotonous regularity. Am I right in saying that the cells stay there, we just fill or empty them?

Work like hell to empty them, then see them fill up just by looking at a cake.

That sipping water thing I've talked about. Every time I wanted a cigar or a cake, I sipped at the water. Worked for me.

StaceyF
12th Jan 2009, 18:57
Ephedrine/caffeine/aspirin stack.

Together with a gym membership.

The weight will fall off you, you fat ba$tard :ok::ok::ok:

tony draper
12th Jan 2009, 19:17
There is a new surgical procedure that could prove helpful, they just connect yer throat directly up to yer bumhole.
:uhoh:

Lon More
12th Jan 2009, 19:31
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/1/13254/29_2008/worms.jpg

The tapeworm diet (http://www.tapewormdiet.net/), if you can stomach it:suspect:

lomapaseo
12th Jan 2009, 19:33
Next time you take a picture take off your boots and put on your undershorts, reflections can be quite revealing.

ShyTorque
12th Jan 2009, 19:37
Mmm. Now you mention it, I did wonder why is Gingernut naked except for a pair of hobnailed boots...

bnt
12th Jan 2009, 19:38
In all serious, though: when you exercise, don't overdo it. If you just start running on the road at that weight, you're putting severe forces on your limbs, especially the joints.

Then there's the heart: there's a "max heart rate" for any person, which is roughly 220 - your age, and you can measure your resting heart rate first thing in the morning. The target heart rate during exercise is at a certain % along that range. Too high, you're just stressing your system, not exercising effectively. This web page (http://www.acefitness.org/fitnessqanda/fitnessqanda_display.aspx?itemid=323) gives more details on the calculations. You can get a cheap heart rate monitor from Argos or something, or a more expensive Polar (http://www.polar.fi/) watch if you're flush.

Mr Chips
12th Jan 2009, 19:43
you ate all the pies...sounds like a perfect diet.... :ok:

dead_pan
12th Jan 2009, 19:50
Okay, here goes.

Three meals a day, 500-600 calories each. Snack mid-afternoon to ward off the hunger pangs, plus something slightly more substantial before beddy-byes. You'll get used to feeling hungry - see as a sort of penance or, if you're that way inclined, a show of solidarity with 90% of the world's population who have to make do with 1 meal a day if they're lucky...

Avoid dairy where poss, also sugary & alcoholic drinks, also processed foods and minimise your meat intake (see it more as an occasional side dish). Stick to your RDAs in particular salt & sugars.

Do this and you'll see an effect within a fortnight. Stick with it and you'll add ten years to your life.

Oh, and for gawds sake do some exercise - low-impact stuff only (walking is good ;))

Good luck!

Standard Noise
12th Jan 2009, 19:52
Flippin'eck Ginge, yer making me look like an amateur, stay off the scales!!!

Last time I was 19.5 stone I lost my Class1 medical. BP was 180/100. Spent a few sovs, actually a lot of sovs, on a bike and went out for 8 miles a day, cut out Nigerian Lager and pizza and lost 2 stones in two months. Mind you, I didn't get a christmas card from Dominos that year!:uhoh:

Radar66
12th Jan 2009, 19:55
Hey.

You know what the sad thing is?

Ginger's a nurse by trade (or so I'm led to believe - correct me please if horribly wrong... :\)

Therefore he knows all this sh!t - correct calorie intake per day, 'sensible' excercise, what the weight gain is doing to his body, etc, etc, blah, blah...

so, in my opinion, what he's really subconciously asking of us all is for a jolly good hefty hob nailed kick up his spreading jacksie....

am I right or am I right?! :}

1DC
12th Jan 2009, 20:13
Sensible is the answer.Sensible eating and sensible exercise.

Just got in from a visit to the main hotel in the town, i have never seen the car park so full no room at all. When i asked what was on i was told that it was the first weightwatchers meeting after Christmas and New Year, the receptionist said it was like this every year but not to worry their would be plenty of room in a couple of weeks!!

Beatriz Fontana
12th Jan 2009, 20:17
Walk everywhere. If a car journey is less than 15 minutes, then walk it. Stick to that and you'll be fine. Oh, and stay off the pies.

ShyTorque
12th Jan 2009, 20:38
Walk everywhere. If a car journey is less than 15 minutes, then walk it. Stick to that and you'll be fine.

Unless your required route is up the M1. You'd need to jog, at least...

Whirlygig
12th Jan 2009, 20:45
15 minutes? That's about 10 miles. That'd take nearly three hours; more if laden with a week's shop from Morrisco. :}

Cheers

Whirls

ShyTorque
12th Jan 2009, 20:50
more if laden with a week's shop from Morrisco.

He already is; I think it was Christmas week.. :E

the incivil beast
12th Jan 2009, 20:51
15 minutes? That's about 10 miles.Isn't the speed limit 30 in built-up areas in UK ?

Beatriz Fontana
12th Jan 2009, 21:06
15 mins in a car in most areas of England gets you about 4 miles these days. And if you did that hiking each time, the pounds would drop off. Except on the M25, where the fear would make you shed more than the pounds :}

Anyway, you pedantic lot, it's the sentiment that counts. Cut out the short car journies. And if you can't fit the weekly shop into a rucksack, get it delivered.

All hail Ocado! :ok:

Whirlygig
12th Jan 2009, 21:24
What's a built-up area? :} Is that like suburbia? ;) Average speed 16 mph? Gee, glad I don't live there :ok:

Whilst the sentiment is laudable (and I would agree in theory), walking is not practical for a lot of people; there are vast tracts of rural England which are remote but inhabited. I can walk to my next door neighbour's and I can walk to the pub. I cannot walk to the nearest shop unless I devote all winter daylight hours to doing it :\ There is no street lighting so personal safety needs to be considered.

Cheers

Whirls

dead_pan
12th Jan 2009, 21:38
walking is not practical for a lot of people

Sure, if you're pushing the red line on the bathroom scales

You can always find an excuse

Sensible is the answer.Sensible eating and sensible exercise.

Sensible advice

ShyTorque
12th Jan 2009, 22:25
Just found this advert alongside another thread:

Ads by Google
Prune Belly Syndrome
Time tested remedies. Most affordable prices. Safe shopping.
www. larsons-homeo. com

Will this help solve the problem?

mini
12th Jan 2009, 22:27
Pies... they've a lot to answer for.

mini discovered pies in Zimbabwe of all places, on the shelf (back when...) too easy. Went there a lithe, toned chap... returned a slob (nowt to do with the evening steaks...)

Never really got over it..(106Kg 5'10" at the mo, too old for the front row) :E

Fruity Tones
13th Jan 2009, 00:34
If you wish to lose fourteen pounds, try substiting bread and dripping for the pies.

As it says in the Bible, "as constant dripping weareth away the stone............"

V2-OMG!
13th Jan 2009, 02:45
Eliminate anything white:
- white flour
- white sugar
- white pasta
- white rice
- white potatoes.

These raise your GI (glucose index) which will not only cause weight gain, but will inflame cellular structures leading to disease and premature aging.

Fruit juice is not a diet food. It also raises the GI. Have the whole fruit instead, but try to avoid high GI fruit like watermelon.

I have found that a high-protein/ low carb. breakfast will stave off my hunger pangs for most of the day.

Mac the Knife
13th Jan 2009, 05:13
122kg? Wow!

Endoscopic gastric bypass. Go for it.

I'll nip & tuck the eventual excess.

:ok:

Romeo India Xray
13th Jan 2009, 05:48
I don't have a weight problem and I don't have to watch what I eat - the secret? ...

I don't gorge myself, I don't eat more than I need.

I eat enough chocolate/McDonalds/curry/pizza that it is a nice change when i have them (except for the McD-that is never a nice change). I eat sensibly and make only what food I will need (e.g. I don't make 3 sandwiches thinking "I will eat 2 this morning and save one in case I get hungry later"), I do however carry a cerial bar and/or a piece of fruit with me most of the time.

I rely on public transport as much as possible (easier here than in Blighty, I know) and walk the mile from my house to the city centre from where I can get to anywhere (even though I could simply catch a bus just 100m from my house). Doing this a couple of times a day (walking at a brisk pace) goes some of the way to an excercise regime (or in my case goes ALL of my way to an excercise regime).

Lastly, don't drink more than you need to just be sociable. My understanding is that all the calorific alcohol you put down your neck will cause your body to say "what the hell am I supposed to do with this? OK, fat it is then."

Thats me, my life and I have never had a problem with weight.

RIX

p.s. Mrs RIX and I do most of our cooking from first principles. Packaged stuff from a Sainsbury or Iceland freezer may be a quick fix, but it won't do too much for your waistline. Better to buy a cook book or two and get a new hobby that involves a lot of fresh fruits and veg.

p.p.s If you stick with some of this advice, don't expect it to come off overnight, however once it does come off it is more likely to stay off if you stick with a regime such as this (as opposed to a crash diet).

V2-OMG!
13th Jan 2009, 06:14
Endoscopic gastric bypass. Go for it.

Here in N. America, lapbanding is very popular. From what I gather, it is not as invasive as the bypass.

Since the new year, the American lap band clinics are advertising their services like a fire sale! I don't mean to sound trite - obesity is a huge problem here - but what worries me is the fact that many are becoming flippant about their weight because they can resort to lap banding eventually.

I do respect all health-care professionals, but I believe 110% in prevention when possible - especially after my one and only surgery (which was a relatively minor procedure) almost killed me due to an error on the part of the anaesthesiologist.

gingernut
13th Jan 2009, 06:47
Now I am very worried.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Fish pie for supper, exercise "stepper" on its way, dog lead ready, baman on strict orders to refuse my request for real ale- here goes.:ok: Watch this space.

(PS is it worth setting a target weight- I'm 6 foot 4?)

Whirlygig
13th Jan 2009, 06:51
Fish pie
Ginge hun, it may have fish in it but it's still A PIE :} Mashed potato and a creamy sauce for the fish isn't going to be the most slimming meal I'm afraid.

Cheers

Whirls

throw a dyce
13th Jan 2009, 07:36
Hey Ginger,
I've got two old pushbikes looking for a new retirement home.Going free.One needs some new bits.Cycling is excellent.:ok:

Mac the Knife
13th Jan 2009, 08:18
I sometimes get post-baryatric surgery patients to tidy up. Lotta work.

6'4"/1.93m and 122kg/268.4lb makes for a BMI of 32.7 which is well into the Class 1 obese category (30-34.9)

"Normal" BMI is 18.5-24.9 - Taking a target BMI of about 22 and a height of 6'4"/1.93m gives a target weight of 85kg.

Hmmm. I'd be realistic and aim at a healthy 95kg.

:ok:

Parapunter
13th Jan 2009, 08:23
What would the BMI of someone like say Phil Vickery or Ugo Monye?:eek: I'm not at all convinced of the BMi as a measure.

ShyTorque
13th Jan 2009, 08:28
Public transport, yes that would get me thinner. I'd have to walk the remaining 38 miles to work.

bast0n
13th Jan 2009, 09:47
I follow the diet proposed by Harry secombe. Eat exactly what you like in whatever quantity you like. Just don't swallow it...................:ok:

ShyTorque
13th Jan 2009, 10:41
Surely that was Monica Lewinsky? ;)

rubik101
13th Jan 2009, 10:54
I'm not sure if we are allowed to endorse a particular book but Paul McKenna has a book called, 'I Can Make You Thin' and by all accounts, it works.
His principles are:

Eat when you are hungry

Eat what you like

Eat consiously, Which means, eat slowly, chew thouroughly, put your k&f down between mouthfuls, taste the food and don't do anything else while you eat. i.e. no TV, reading the paper etc.

Stop eating the first time you feel full.....throw away or keep for tomorrow what is left on your plate. It all ends up in the same place eventually.

My wife has lost 4kg in four weeks using this method.

Whatever you do, don't go on a diet!

anotherthing
13th Jan 2009, 11:01
Parapunter -

You are correct, BMI is a lot of tosh. It does not take into account body type.

When I was at the peak of my fitness, running decent paced marathions etc I was, according to BMI, obese.

This was despite having a body fat percentage of 14%. The fact that muscle weighs more than fat is not taken into consideration.

Skinfold measurements or more accurately Hydrostatic weighing are better methods.

Gingernut - bnt suggests buying a heart rate monitor, but there really is no need if you just want to lose weight. When you walk of jog, if you can talk fairly comfotable during the exercise, then you are working at a rate commensurate with burning fat and getting fitter.

Aim to eat about 2000 calories per day, split into 5 meals.

General_Kirby
13th Jan 2009, 11:19
V2-OMG has it in one. Follow his advice, add in a bit of exercise, upon waking if possible and before breakfast. Even a 15minute walk will fire up your metabolism for the rest of the day. Don't eat carbs after teatime. And try to graze on 5-6 small meals a day, 2-3 hours apart. Still with a total calorie intake for the day of about 500 less than you need. You don't want to do to much exercise or drop the calories to low, otherwise your body will think your starving and cling on to your fat, the only weight you'll lose will be muscle and water. And then once a week have a vindaloo and twelve pints.

Effluent Man
13th Jan 2009, 14:34
A 500 calory daily deficit will take off 1lb a week.I have had a bit of a weight problem since I was 17 and in some ways I think it is easier than it is for those who gain weight later in life when eating patterns are more established.Exercise is quite important I have a brisk 4 mile walk every night after eating and I think this probably equates to about 500 calories.I have found the best method is to wear a sturdy belt and keep to the same notch.

Gainesy
13th Jan 2009, 14:45
Get some scales that only go up to 80kg.

angels
13th Jan 2009, 14:54
Gainesy - Belter. :D

Juud
13th Jan 2009, 14:56
Ginge, everything but self-discipline can be found here: Weight Wise (http://www.bdaweightwise.com/index.html)

Good luck, it's worth the effort. :ok:

eticket
13th Jan 2009, 15:49
My one New Year resolution was to finally get my weight down.

I can't cope with calorie counting. Far too complicated and leads to far too much emphasis and thinking about 'food' than there needs to be for someone with a food 'problem'. It makes eating anything a guilt trip and for me ultimately leads to failure.

I am now trying an alternative (copyright eticket) diet that involves setting a p or & p daily food budget and sticking as close as I can to this. Much much easier than counting calories.

The one proviso is that the budget will need to be amended up or down based on experience at a particular price point.

I started on Jan 2nd and have so far lost 7lbs with no additional exercise and no obsessing about food. This is probably too much too quick and I will be revising the price point up.

I realise that it is not a 'clever/scientific' diet, but if it does work for me and the way I think, then getting rid of the weight has to be the most important thing. Time will tell.

(Plus the savings will go towards paying for the trip to see Mac.)

Scumbag O'Riley
13th Jan 2009, 15:57
Got to say I think current accepted 'government' nutritional advice is wrong and not evidence based but nobody seems to have the balls to change it.

The missus counts calories, I count carbs. I lose weight and keep it off and she is still a porker (though a very sexy one). Cut down on bread, pasta, spuds and sugar and you should lose weight. Nowt wrong with real ale as long as you have a plate of cheese at the same time. Read that in a book and sounds OK to me.

Evidence entirely anecdotal.

If that fails unprotected sex up the bum on Clapham Common will eventually get yer to the point you can see all yer ribs again.

birrddog
13th Jan 2009, 16:19
Several years ago I did the whole caloric counting thing.

Bought a "fancy" watch with hear rate monitor, counted all my calories exercising, intake, etc.

One day, did a short run in Central Park with a mate, went to the Boat House in the park for a beer afterward, kept the calorie counting thingy going, and continued drinking beers with my mate at my apartment.

According to the watch I burned more calories during the 4 hours drinking beer than I did during the 35min run! (And less calories than consumed by the beers).

Fantastic form of exercise I thought! Best $250 I spent on a watch!

Loose rivets
13th Jan 2009, 16:28
That's funny!

Mind you, 250 quid on a watch, you could have got one to show you the phases of the moon for that price:}

I know...who the flippin' 'ek wants to know the phases of the moon.

bnt
13th Jan 2009, 16:44
Re the idea of eating according to a strict budget... I'm just back from Tesco, and while there are lots of bargains on junk food, there never seem to be any 2-for-1 deals on quality food. It's the same at e.g. Aldi, in my experience: calories are cheap, nutrition isn't. :oh:

Fly-by-Wife
13th Jan 2009, 17:01
I have a brisk 4 mile walk every night after eating and I think this probably equates to about 500 calories.

Dream on - not much more than half that, according to this: Calories Burned During Exercise (http://www.nutristrategy.com/activitylist4.htm)

Gingernut - good luck with your weight loss, however you do it.

I quickly abandoned walking in favour of cycling last year - I've lost nearly 2.5 stone / 15 kilos with 70-80 minutes of " Bicycling, 14-15.9mph, vigorous effort" on as daily a basis as I can. I was starting from almost 16 stone (I'm only 5'8 :O), so running was out as I value my hips, knees and ankles!

Swimming is good too, but I found it way too boring. The great thing about actually getting out on your bike, is that when you are halfway around your route - you still gotta make it home! No shortcuts! You can't just roll off the exercise back if you are 8 miles from your house!

Don't try to lose weight too fast - either by restricting your food intake (selective or general) or exercise. No more than a couple of pounds a week is recommended.

The benefits of regular exercise are more than just weight loss - I feel and think better, I can pretty much eat what I like within reason (at least I'm not having to consciously say no to things I like, or count calories :yuk:). Food is meant to be enjoyed!

Maybe choose one fattening thing that you can totally do without - for me it was crisps of any kind. I just don't eat them any more, ever. So I can enjoy everything else! :ok:

FBW

geordiewarrior
13th Jan 2009, 17:33
I found the best way to keep myself stable weight wise was bin all the crap. If everyone followed my regimen all bakeries, ice-cream makers, McD's, etc would be out of business. I only eat fruit, veg, rice, pasta, potatoes and meat sparingly. Run as much as you can. Drink as little beer as you manage to survive on - just at weekends. I've been 140 lbs for ever. And no it is not dull. Actually now I can't stand fried food, cakes, etc. Even chocolate doesn't bother me. Beer is different, very hard.

gw

V2-OMG!
13th Jan 2009, 20:12
V2-OMG has it in one. Follow his advice, add in a bit of exercise......

Actually, V2 is a "her," but that's okay. Seems to be a common misconception around here.

But exercise is important - was critical for me. It is not just the physical component. For me, it was more psychological. I did not think of myself as an overweight woman - I was now an athlete. I did not think of it as food anymore - it was fuel for a high-performance machine. The machine no longer craved the crap.

It was this mindset that took a bloated, lethargic body that could barely walk a block to competing in half marathons. I could jog for two hours straight without gasping for air. There is nothing like exercising and being able to breathe - the euphoria of a heart and lung performing like that well-tuned engine. It is addictive.

The downswing is that I eventually blew both achilles. (Tore the L and R achilles tendon). But they have healed, and am now easing myself back into walking/light running.

If you haven't exercised for a long time, start off by walking.

Beatriz Fontana
13th Jan 2009, 20:58
Apparently the latest thing is to laugh a lot (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/4221778/Laughing-can-help-you-lose-weight.html)...

wiccan
13th Jan 2009, 21:22
I know...who the flippin' 'ek wants to know the phases of the moon.
Mrs wiccan would love one....
OOI Mrs wiccan also had Cancer [of the cervix], and blew up like a Barrage Balloon...people said that she nad never looked healthier....
bb

cockney steve
14th Jan 2009, 12:34
Re-an earlier post (Rad 66?) I, too have a friend who is grossly overweight, so-much-so that he's abandoned his lightweight landrover,'cos his belly jams the steering wheel. The rub is, he's a well-qualified St. john member and Paramedic.

He pointed out that his "extra" weight is equivalent to carrying me around all day! He is well aware that he's eating himself towards a heart attack.
The admitted truth is SELF CONTROL.....or as alternatively put "if the hole at the top is bigger that the hole at the bottom, You'll put on weight.

Eat less,try to be selective with "junk" food like crisps...apart from anything, they're ridiculously expensive for a few shards of fried potato.

Generally , any diet will show a dramatic weight-loss in the first week, That is purely water! After that, is the laborious, systematic burning-away of the fat....as suggested, 1-lb. a week will melt away without concious effort ONCE YOU CURB YOUR GLUTTONY.

Eat the same, just eat less!...How much less?Well, I'd suggest you look at how quickly you piled it on, hazard a guess and multiply by 4, eat that weight LESS over the same period. Not scientific, but makes you think about the QUANYITY you shovel down the cake-hole.

All this "bands" and "staples" "special diet" crap is just an excuse to shift the responsibility onto someone else.

My daughter suggested to an overweight colleague, that fat people lacked authority and credibility as managers, as they couldn't manage their own body successfully......the guy is, 18 months later, a slimmer, more dynamic and happier bunny.

VH-MLE
14th Jan 2009, 13:13
Dear Gingernut,

Just came across this thread - 122lbs = 55kg - what are you complaining about????

If you were 122kg, then as has already been said, diet plus exercise should do the job.

Oh, and a few less gingernuts!!

Cheers.

VH-MLE

ps - last quick and easy tip which is dietry in nature:

(1) Buy 1kg of cooked prawns;
(2) Leave in sun for 2-3 hours (temp + 20C or greater);
(3) Consume prawns (by yourself) with a nice wine;
(4) Ensure toilet close by;
(5) Lose 10kg overnight;
(6) Repeat steps 1-5 each week until ideal weight is achieved or you're dead.

Scumbag O'Riley
14th Jan 2009, 14:12
Great way to go down to 10% body fat is to do the Annapurna Circuit trek and only eat Dal Bhat on the way.

I defy anybody to be fat after that. You will also be fitter than you have ever been on your life.

mad_jock
14th Jan 2009, 18:58
Try

Paul McKenna Books (http://www.paulmckenna.com/default.aspx?prod=74&pid=24&mid=2)

I know a couple of folk that have bought the book and CD and it worked so well I read the book as well.

Its a swine though I didn't think anything of it until one of them stated taking the wee at a pub lunch when I left half of it.

BTW I have gone from 110kg down to 95kg and haven't really thought about it in the last 9 months. And its just from not eating unless I am hungry and stopping eating as soon as I don't feel hungry any more, even if it means leaving half the plate.

Its all to do with our parents and the war instilling waste nothing and always clean your plate.

Now if only his stop smoking book worked so well.

cats_five
14th Jan 2009, 19:29
A burst gall bladder did the same for me as cancer did for you.

Seriously, to Gingernut - each as much vegetables as you like, except for the starchy ones. Have small portions of starch - rice, potates. apasta and so n. Eat a couple of portions of fruit a day as well but don't go wild with it as it contains quite a lot of sugar. Have small portions of meat, so make it really good quality. If you get the nibbles try to contain if with carrots, celery and like stuff. Eat several small meals a day, and lay off the C2H5OH most days.

Lastly, consider getting a dog so you have to take seveal walks a day!

Too Short
15th Jan 2009, 00:02
If all else fails, there's always the Champagne and sex diet...

Never tried it myself, well, not to lose weight anyway. :p

StaceyF
15th Jan 2009, 18:58
Walk everywhere. If a car journey is less than 15 minutes, then walk it. Stick to that and you'll be fine. Oh, and stay off the pies.

Behave.

At 30mph, 15 mins equates to 7.5 miles.

These bloaters get out of breath stirring their cups of heavily sugar-laden tea.

I repeat: an ECA stack combined with a gym membership.

StaceyF
15th Jan 2009, 19:04
What would the BMI of someone like say Phil Vickery or Ugo Monye?:eek: I'm not at all convinced of the BMi as a measure.

:D:D:D:D

My bloke is 5'9" and weighs well over 13 stone so he's probably labelled by the BMI as obese.

Except he's a gym fanatic and is 11.2% bodyfat.

And a gym-freak girl I work with is 5'7" but weighs 11 stone.......but she is all muscle and is a size 8 dress size.

Go figure.

Parapunter
15th Jan 2009, 19:40
And I omitted words in that post. Frickin wireless keyboard. I play squash three times a week, completely have the bug, love it to bits. Consequently, I have what you might call muskerley legs, since they go like jackhammers on court. I find that as the rest of me is skinny enough, I'm quite happy with where it's all at, yet my BMI says no no, you must diet.

Load of old tosh to me. BTW first one to mention Len Rossiter gets a punch on the hootter.

gingernut
15th Jan 2009, 20:05
Oh dear, oh dear, heal thyself gingernut.

BMI is a crock of sh*t if under 30 and ones waist is slim

Unfortunately, I fail on both counts, and am a self confessed fat bar steward.

Radar66
15th Jan 2009, 21:48
have you looked at the link that I sent you yet Ginger? :O

Tis all very well going on a 'diet' to loose a few pounds but then most people go back to eating the way that they used to once they've reached their target weight and then lament the fact that their so called 'diet' didn't work.

:ugh: DOH!! :ugh:

If you are fat then you need to look at your eating patterns AND your exercise patterns. One needs to balance the other. Exercise less, eat less, exercise more, eat more. Rocket science or what?! :hmm:

Somebody from this board once said to me when I offered her a piece of banoffee pie: "What on earth is that?! Hmmm... sounds amazing, but is it worth the calories?" That's not a bad attitude to have IMHO! :)

(Oh, and it was deemed to be worth the calories and more btw! :} )

Juud
15th Jan 2009, 22:35
Doing well here.
2 of the 5 kg Xmas lard are off, only another month of daily work-outs, veges, lean meat and fish only ahead.
And then somebody had to mention banoffee pie and I had to look up what it was again and now lying here not only starving but drooling too. :hmm:

gingernut
16th Jan 2009, 20:59
Cheers C, looked at the the link, but to be honest, preferred it when you were more sturdy:)

In fact, I think I've gone off you a bit now you're skinny.

Cheers for the advice folks, nice to hear from you VH-MLE, doing 4 miles a day walking round Tatton Park, got it down to 1hr 10 mins-getting hot and sweaty so I reckon it's doing some good.

Keep you posted, ginge the pie eater.

Radar66
16th Jan 2009, 21:04
erm.... I WAS thinner before I moved in with Mr Sodding Fantastic Cook....:* :ugh:

gingernut
16th Jan 2009, 21:56
Mr sodding fantastic what???

Oh sorry, cook:)

It's obviously contentment, and it sounds like he wants to fatten' you up a bit.'Nowt like a warm buxom woman on a Saturday morning to make you wanna keep out of your shed.

3 things I hate:

Warm Beer
Cheeky Kids
Skinny women.

Have a slice of that lovely Bonnofie-----you know you want to.

Radar66
16th Jan 2009, 22:13
oh do b*gger off Ginger!! :}

I've got a wedding dress to get into and photographs that lasts for eternity to pose for FFS! :ugh:

Say again s l o w l y
16th Jan 2009, 23:14
Don't worry Rads, it'll be fine.

I lost half a stone over christmas. Sodding flu! Hmm Banoffee pie..............Since I'm trying to put on weight (far too bloody successfully I might add) I'll eat your portion of it if anyone is worried about fitting into clothing.

Radar66
16th Jan 2009, 23:27
here you go Sassy! :O

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb122/Radar66/pprune%20pics/BanoffeePie1.jpg

:{ I can tell ya, on the 30th August, that'll be the very very first thing that I'll be pigging out on....

Whirlygig
16th Jan 2009, 23:50
Bloomin' 'eck Radz luv, I hope you're not going to have 7 month-old leftovers :}

Cheers

Whirls

Say again s l o w l y
17th Jan 2009, 00:26
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

gingernut
17th Jan 2009, 09:33
I'd like a portion of Radar's to, please, yummy yummy.

BarbiesBoyfriend
17th Jan 2009, 10:03
Gingernut.

In the CAAs medical manual (HPL etc.) it says that if you'd like to lose weight:

"Eat less food."

Why don't you try that?