PDA

View Full Version : YCNK Drop Zone

fatboywings
12th Jan 2009, 18:26
Hi Guys,

I fly out of Cessnock and there has been a change in the drop zone for a local operator. I am not sure if it is temporary or not. I can imagine that the divers are happy with been dropped closer to the airport, however, i am not sure if safety has been thought through thoroughly.

There is a large training base of 120 + students flying circiuts (not all at once) and the new drop zone is 1.7nm from the run way and it is often requested by the pilot of the jump plane that people in the circuit keep a tight circuit.

I just want to know your thoughts on having a drop zone in close proximity to the circuit, both pilots and jumpers please comment.

Thanks
Ben

VH-XXX
12th Jan 2009, 20:47
I know of a drop zone where the chutes land within around 50 metres of the runway. It's been there for 5+ years and there has never been a problem with traffic versus chutes. There are probably 200+ student pilots there amongst visiting traffic and charter ops.

Preparation and a good ERSA entry are your friend!

NNB
12th Jan 2009, 21:16
more to what VH-XXX has posted:ok:
IF more airmanship was exhibited by "visiting" pilots (including instructors) the ERSA entry & PPR requirement cover just about everything when visiting an airport that has many versions of aviation happening. Language limitations are no excuse either...Grrrr
plus
It galls me no end when you hear jump pilots call "jumpers away" and some gerbil comes back with "Ill keep an eye out for them as they blast straight through a placarded DROP ZONE."
120mph vertical down and "you'll keep an eye out for them" give me a brake....???????????:ugh:
rant now ends - until next time
be safe out there people, the skies are for everyone so play nicely now
PJE area safety officer Vic/Tas

flog
12th Jan 2009, 23:51
YLIL has the DZ about 1nm from the rwy on the upwind side of the circuit. Seems to work well.

aldee
13th Jan 2009, 00:29
Don't they fall into the paddock between runways and taxiways @ YMND without too much trouble ?

triton140
13th Jan 2009, 00:35
YLIL has the DZ about 1nm from the rwy on the upwind side of the circuit. Seems to work well.

It's a lot closer than that (about 300 metres from 18L/36R) - but it's to the east and all circuits are to the west at YLIL (in daylight), so not really a problem. Anyone using the airfield should be well aware of the drop zone anyway.

You just need to monitor CTAF for the drop, particularly if you're heading upwind on the dead side for a crosswind join - but even then you're OK.

Ex FSO GRIFFO
13th Jan 2009, 02:10
G'Day 'NNB',

"give me a brake....???????????'

THAT would be V E R Y Handy, I'm sure!!

I would venture that if ya had a brake,
then ya wouldn't need a break.......:eek:

:ok:

fatboywings
13th Jan 2009, 06:15
Thanks for your input guys. Been a new pilot, i just wanted to get your ideas. As mixed as they are I can understand that it is one sky for many people and it makes Dollars and Sense for the DZ operator to operate as close to LZ as possible.

As a non jumper (one tandem jump) I do appreciate the sport. I guess I just wanted to know how others react so that I don't seem to far off the mark if I make a comment. My instructor will not let me fly near a DZ whilst the drop is been performed, should make NNB happy, and as a pilot I would never consider flying through an area that was an active drop zone.

Integration and communication I guess are the main points to concentrate on. As long as the pilot keeps the notams up and radio, I guess we (pilots) will be able to make sure that jumpers are safer.

However, my concern is to those doing solo consolidation. YCNK has asked that no circuits training be performed until after 8am (ERSA) Thats fair, but, that puts 0 hour pilots in a 152 or 172 under the drop zone due to the circuits been large to accommodate 5+ planes in the circuit. This is my only major concern about the operation of the flight schools and the Drop Zone been moved to almost the same location.

What would Jumpers, Instructors and Students like to see happen to make sure operational safety is achieved?

Regards
Ben

bentleg
13th Jan 2009, 07:52
Listen to the radio and take notice of what's said there.....

In a worst case situation, surely the parachutist can see the 'plane below and steer clear?

Dick N. Cider
13th Jan 2009, 08:20
From an ATC point of view the "Bermuda Triangle" of meat bombing (YCNK, YEES, YMND) is quite interesting, particularly over the weekend. Providing meaningful traffic when the area has multiple unidentified VFRs in and out of radar coverage can be a bit challenging. "Clear to drop" sticks in your throat at times.

Only an observation from an interested ground hog but I presume that it all relies on pretty disciplined CTAF calls to make it safe. I can't speak to aircraft on CTAF to issue a safety alert so cross my fingers and hope it all works.

PJE ops at places like YBCG on the aerodrome seem to have worked for some years. There seems to be room for all when we work at it.

Keep up the good work

DNC

triton140
13th Jan 2009, 08:28
I presume that it all relies on pretty disciplined CTAF calls to make it safe.

CTAF calls pre drop and away, plus landed, help us all with situational awareness. Plus we rely on the parachutists not drifting too far over the field in their descent.

There seems to be room for all when we work at it.

Indeed there is ......

DanArcher
13th Jan 2009, 08:39
Don't they fall into the paddock between runways and taxiways @ YMND without too much trouble ?

Yep, drop zone for the guys is about 50m east of 05/23, was out there on the weekend throwing them crazys out of a poor old 182A

Dick N. Cider
13th Jan 2009, 10:08
...and I was saying clear to drop when you were doing it!

DanArcher
13th Jan 2009, 10:26
Small world! pm sent :8

D-J
25th Jun 2009, 11:15
Could the recent relocation of PJE ops from YCNK be seen as a reflection of sentiment of the CNK aviation community toward skydive ops? or just the particular operator?

knowing some of the history of skydive ops at cnk would be interesting to hear what the general feeling is like around the place, particularlly a flying schools perspective