PDA

View Full Version : Best flight school in melbourne for ATPL/CPL

SK340
12th Jan 2009, 12:09
anyone have any recommondations to which are the best schools for Best flight school in melbourne for ATPL/CPL? or in australia?

i know that some have approved pilots physics and maths courses run in them approved by Qantas.

any help appreciated thanks

207Wannabe
16th Mar 2009, 02:43
I would suggest to go see Lionel Taylor for the theory and Bini's for the flight training. Both are located in the same building at Moorabbin. They are small but very professional.

ReverseFlight
16th Mar 2009, 11:46
Bini's is of course reputable but there are actually real choices at MB - the names Moorabbin Flying Services and Melbourne Flight Training currently crop up in these forums as equally reliable establishments (do a search).

Visit all of them in person and decide for yourself.

SK340
6th Apr 2009, 12:03
Hi guys, i just wanted to know what you guys thought of RVAC?

Pilotolatino
6th Apr 2009, 13:18
I've posted the below in the D&G pages but thought I'd put it here too...

I would talk to Geoff or Adrianne Fleming at Tristar. Both are very down to earth and very approachable.

Don't get sucked in by the hype or allure of a brand name (eg RMIT or GFS). At the end of the day, when you look for a flying job...you need a Commercial Pilot Licence. it doesn't matter what CASA approved school you go to, you need that ticket...SO...my advice from personal experience:

1) Spend the time talking to schools in the area. Try to see the chief flying instructor. Some mightn't give you the time of day. Spend time talking to the guy/woman. What vibe are you getting from them?

2) avoid schools with LARGE intakes of overseas or airline contract cadets. why? Because these schools will pour all their resources (instructors and acft) into getting the contract sausages through in minimum time. if they don't, they foot the bill for the extra training....and that leaves you where? bottom of the pile which delays YOUR progress.

3) from 1) and 2) above, look for a school that gives as much personal attention to its students. In this regard small schools are better.

4) check out their kit - what are you flying in?

5) what am I getting for my hard earned cash? compare hire rates...why pay $380/hr for a 172 when other schools charge much less? every dollar saved is more time in the air for YOU but take note to examine what's included in the price - briefings, landings, fuel?

6) glass smasss...if you're going to be looking for a charter job after your CPL...wake up! your training will be the last time you'll see a nice new glass cockpit...once you've completed your training you'll be looking at analogue instruments (with GPS if you're lucky) for quite some time!

7) talk to the instructors and suss them out too. are they happy working there? Instructors that only get paid for the hours they fly will naturally want to only do that - which means less effort teaching you or briefing you pre or post flight.

8) Remember, flying schools are a business. They are there to make money. There are some schools that have glossy brochures and others that have smooth talking CFIs. You, the customer have a choice.

On most criteria above, the likes of RMIT, RVAC or GFS don't cut it.

Best of luck in choosing a school. All the best for your career.

Hakeem
7th Apr 2009, 18:28
So what is your opinion about TRISTAR...
Because i have enrolled my self in the school and paid my first installment for July batch....

cimore000
8th Apr 2009, 12:05
I've only just started flying, I fly at Bini's. I like the school and the instructors but it's the only school I've been to.

cimore000
8th Apr 2009, 12:08
Oh and Hakeem. I personally don't know much about Tristar but my friend fly's there and he tells me its a good school!

Hakeem
9th Apr 2009, 18:22
Thanks for your reply folk....
Are you in Moorabbin airport ( I mean bini's) or some where else????????
Safe landings........
Cheers:ok:......

Dangnammit
10th Apr 2009, 06:57
Don't forget that there are a few places on the outskirts of Melbourne too. I think it depends on where you live, quality of training & a/c, and what price they charge.
Landing fees are killer too. Essendon is about $50 give or take for a C172- per landing!
I did all of my training at YMEN, mostly before landing fees were implemented- or before linfox bought it! Next month I'm starting my instructor rating there too. I live around the corner from there so it's easy for me.

Regarding ATPL's. I had the help of Allen Watson for Nav, Flight Planning, and Performance. The others I self studied.

He's a former Ansett Captain and lives near YMEN but I think he's been going to YMMB to teach there. He knows his stuff back to front and a good bloke imho.

cimore000
10th Apr 2009, 13:57
Yep, I'm currently in Bini's. So far so good.

Hakeem
10th Apr 2009, 18:18
Is that located in Moorabbin airport????????:confused:

cimore000
11th Apr 2009, 11:45
Yes, it's located in Moorabbin. "Peter Binis".
Make sure you look around the schools before choosing one.
Good luck Hakeem!

ReverseFlight
11th Apr 2009, 16:09
IMHO, Bini's is catered more for the advanced student, as reflected by its full name "Peter Bini Advanced Flight Training" (PBAFT). It is better known for its instrument ratings rather than its CPL flight training.

Having said that, its in-house theory tutor, Lionel Taylor, is second to none and many students can attest to his CPL/ATPL theory courses.

Hakeem
11th Apr 2009, 18:15
Oh ya Thanks dude.......
I've paid my first installment of AUD 6000 $ with them.........
So no point of changing the school....
Hope fully if every thing goes in the right direction I'll be there in July batch.......
Please PM me your personal E-mail ID and contact no. if you wish......
If you give that then it'll be more useful for me......

mr.tos
12th Apr 2009, 07:41
You paid them 6k without even stepping a foot in Australia :ugh:

cdp1981
12th Apr 2009, 08:08
I too am planning to do a CPL in Melbourne. Can anybody advise me what sort of costs are involved in doing a CPL at the training schools listed above? I want to go somewhere with reasonable prices, but I also want to know that the instructors are reasonably competent and can explain concepts well, etc. Having people who know how to teach can make all the difference.

Hakeem
12th Apr 2009, 18:01
Hey dude its necessary to obtain COE from school for processing visa.....
And to get COE we are supposed to pay our first installment.......
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

ReverseFlight
13th Apr 2009, 04:03
cdp1981, here's a list of costs:

Moorabbin Flying Services (http://www.mfs.com.au/)
then click on tab "Expected Costs and Planning Budgets"

BINI Flight Training*-*Commercial*-*Cost & Budgeting (http://www.biniflighttraining.com.au/pages/default.asp?ID=28)
Bini's also have a more detailed brochure which you can obtain at their reception.

MFT do not seem to give an estimate except their aircraft rates:
Melbourne Flight Training (http://www.melbourneflighttraining.com.au/aircraft/aircraft_rates.htm)

I know various instructors from all 3 schools and they are all good. Also, healthy competition at Moorabbin makes them continue to work hard for you. That's why I don't think you have to consider Essendon, Point Cook or the other regional airfields.

Captain_Dandoon
11th Jun 2009, 03:34
i dont kno bout MFT. im a student at Binis and work here a little bit.and MFT cause quite a bit of trouble. pretty much most of their aircraft are cross hired though us here at Binis because they dont own any, and we get a few students a month come accross to Binis. Steve Pearce, the CFI at Binis is one of..if not..the best instructor to do your Iinstrument Rating with, hes been doing it for more than 20 years im pretty sure, and has his own books which are only available at Binis. Throughout the years, Steve has helped write Instrument Training Manuals used for IREX. Hes a top bloke and when you fly with him, you can tell he really cares about your training. He will sit with you and breif you, not the usually quick 20minute breif and out to the plane.