PDA

View Full Version : Cinerama

Rollingthunder
12th Jan 2009, 07:18
I wonder if we have ever improved on it for theatre projection excellence. I suppose Imax might be a contender.

First film I saw in Cinerama was Windjammer and it was magnificant, breaktaking away type stuff.

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5504/howthewestwaswonscreenslt8.jpg

tony draper
12th Jan 2009, 09:13
I recall being taken to see the first Cinemascope filum,twere called "The Robe" I believe,twere about the Romans and Jesus,not a single Dinosaur or Chain Gun in it so I didn't enjoy it.
:rolleyes:

Rainboe
12th Jan 2009, 09:17
Doesn't age well. As you can see in your picture, you pay for the breathtaking scope of the image with lines, as 3 cameras side by side were used, and the image shows it is made up of 3 different images. Don't know, but are the images combined in one 'super projector' or do they run 3 projectors to show it off three transparencies? Now it shows with each reel having slightly different development and ageing qualities. Must have been a nightmare of exact timing and alignment of each camera and displayed image. I suppose Imax will degrade similarly.

Low Flier
12th Jan 2009, 09:34
Imax blows cinerama into the weeds. It's not merely the size of the screen, but also the high definition of the imagery that has such a powerful impact.

3D Imax takes it even further. There are a couple of scenes in the 3D Imax film about the ISS where you get the illusion that objects are actually coming out of the screen. In one sequence which shows the departure of a Soyuz rockets you feel as if the rocket blasted debris is coming off the bottom of the screen and into the auditorium. There's a similar effect in a scene aboard the space station when the astronauts are throwing sweets to eachother. When one astronaut throws sweets towards the camera(s) many in the audience can't stop the reflexive urge to reach up and catch them.

Bushfiva
12th Jan 2009, 09:53
Rainboe, it used 3 projectors, 3 prints. The day-to-day problem with Cinerama was repairing broken films: the print couldn't be shortened and spliced, it had to be patched with black frames to keep it in sync with the other two reels. The BlueRay release has had the seams digitally compensated so you don't see the "joins".

Rollingthunder, yes, lots of widescreen versions improved on both the color rendition and general format. Anamorphic 2.39 is probably the current de facto standard.

We should remember that the move to both widescreen formats and colour was largely due to the arrival of TV in the US: widescreen became the product differentiator for movies.

A 4K image from a 4K projector is quite something to see, check it out if you have a 4K projector in the area.

angels
12th Jan 2009, 11:30
Low flier has got it spot on. Imax is brilliant, although I've yet to see the 3D version.

How the West Was Won is another Cinerama fillum. The joins are especially noticeable in the train scene towards the end.

621andy
12th Jan 2009, 12:13
Watch the Imax called California....amazing:ok: Redwoods, Golden gate bridge...stunning.

For best effect, watch an Imax in one of the dome jobbies, with underseat screen projection, rather than the flat screen....

Sultan Ismail
12th Jan 2009, 17:41
Saw my first CINERAMA film at the Pavilion Theatre off Cambridge Circus. "Cinerama Holiday" about a Swiss family and an American family who swap homes, or something like that. Basically a travelogue covering both countries.
I can still remember the music as the Swissair/PanAm plane cut through the Alps in the opening sequences. The composer was Gould and I have looked since then to get a copy of that soundtrack. That must be 55 years ago...whoops!
The first CINERAMA film I saw (much later), was "This is Cinerama" which had a fantastic opening sequence on a rollercoaster, this after a sober introduction on a small 3:4 aspect postage stamp screen.
The predecessor to Imax was the TODD-AO system which used large format film, and then there was Cinemascope 55 and Cinemascope 65, all fighting the common enemy...television.
3-D hasn't improved since "The House of Wax" and "Murders in the Rue Morgue" in the mid 50's, other than the addition of surround sound to complement the visuals.
For really superb aerial visuals check out "16 Right" a documentary on Van Nuys Airport, filmed in Panavision HD it is incredible. Turn down the lights, turn up the sound and ignore the neighbours...

G-BPED
12th Jan 2009, 18:12
A 4K image from a 4K projector is quite something to see, check it out if you have a 4K projector in the area.

The Odeon Guildford has a Sony SXRD 4K projector, amazing resolution.

Regards,

G-BPED

rotornut
12th Jan 2009, 22:27
I saw one of the first IMAX films, North of Superior and was really impressed. It has some great aerial shots taken from a light twin flying over lakes and cliffs. You can see a small format version here but it really doesn't do it justice: YouTube - North of Superior (clip 1) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91n-d1ZFjcs)