PDA

View Full Version : Dream Job

J_I_Logan
11th Jan 2009, 14:55
Night flight to strange parts with weird company is my dream job.

I have wanted to fly since I was born but always had the Amblyopia door slammed in my face. I am now in Adelaide and told that amblyopia is no longer a barrier to getting a CPL even though I'm 40 years old.

So... after getting my CPL, how do I get a cargo gig?

Geminite
11th Jan 2009, 18:49
What means "Amblyopia" ?

Twitcher
11th Jan 2009, 20:52
Try Google or Wikipedia:ok:
Amblyopia, otherwise known as lazy eye......

doubleu-anker
12th Jan 2009, 02:45
There are no dream jobs.

I have been in aviation since you were born.

You wont come close to finding a dream job in a "profit" making or commercial outfit. You certainly wont find one flying freight. You could possibly come close to finding that dream job in a private aircraft operation, with a good hearted owner. Having flown GA, Freight/Airline etc I feel I am qualified to comment.

Sonic69
12th Jan 2009, 02:55
Just get that CPL first. There are no guarantees of any job after that, but you are guaranteed of NO job if you don't have that CPL.

free at last
12th Jan 2009, 07:02
I too have over 40 years in aviation, Keep the Dream, you will not regret it. Best of Luck.:):)

411A
12th Jan 2009, 14:52
I too have over 40 years in aviation, Keep the Dream, you will not regret it. Best of Luck

Well said...and likewise.
Certainly the best position I had was the international aviation department manager for a Fortune 100 company.
Very good pay, excellent folks to work for, nice euipment (and no, not a jet, but a large turbopropellor type).
It helped, of course, that I reported directly to the CEO, and no one else.

fourgolds
12th Jan 2009, 16:51
Funny I agree with 411A . Greatest gig I had was corporate. 40 is ok to start. You may not become a space shuttle captain. But you might get close. Go for it !

J_I_Logan
14th Jan 2009, 14:50
I started flying today in a SportStar. My 'Plan' is to go Recreational license and become a JFI this year. I'll then go on to do my CPL as budget permits.

Thanks for the encouragement :-)

Centreline747
18th Jan 2009, 14:44
Interpretation of 'dream job' is individual. I saw the first 747 land at LGW many moons ago and said to myself (at the age of 8 or 9) "I want to fly one of them". Now I am - that is my 'dream job'

Go for it and good luck.

Rgds

CL747

Flying Mechanic
19th Jan 2009, 01:02
yep never too late to chase the dream, i met an x cabbie once, got his first job on a Metro 3 at age 53!!

Semu
21st Jan 2009, 20:13
One of the best captains I ever had got his fourth stripe at 57, started flying the line at 55. It was a rotten company, but he ignored them and had a good time. Learned a lot from him, including some about flying.

cessnagirl
23rd Jan 2009, 00:28
We all have a dream job. If I could have ANYTHING, I'd love to fly turbo-props, cargo would be nice.

justcantwait
30th Jan 2009, 08:46
It`s just so nice to read that people is nice to eachother, and even positive! Maybe we all are able to contribute towards anyones dreams?:)

J_I_Logan
30th Jan 2009, 10:20
That's exactly what I was thinking. It gives me great hope that my little post has got such positive feedback.

I'm taking a break from training just now. It's 45 degrees every day and the hour ride in full leather to the Aerodrome is a bit much. I'll keep everybody posted as soon as I start again and thanks for all the positive feedback :-)

J_I_Logan
12th Mar 2009, 17:05
It's taken a while but after ~16 hours in the Sportstar the instructor who always jinxed me asked me to take him backtrack and let him out.

Just at take off a visiting student from another airfield in a Baron joined the circuit midfield right on my butt. I had to do my first solo and maintain radio contact at the same time.

Except for a rather flat landing, all went to plan.

This is the first time I was able to write 'self' in the 'Pilot in Command' column of the log book.

Long way to go but first step taken :)

If anybody is down YADG way, drop in, have a great lunch and say 'hello.'

J_I_Logan
12th Mar 2009, 17:18
Bugger!

I forgot to mention the other reason for my long break in training: the Missus and I are now the proud parents of a baby boy :)

At age 23 days he came to the Aerodrome to watch daddy train.

Next step.....

Kapt
12th Mar 2009, 18:29
:rolleyes:Dream Job is just that, Dream. Got 30+ Years on aviation.

ceeb
12th Mar 2009, 19:08
Nice thread and somewhat along my lines of thinking, I am also 40 (just!) ;), Flying has always been my dream job, I can now afford to pay for my own ATPL and have often wondered if circumstances of life (i.e other carreer paths etc) means I have left it too late. It seems maybe I have not!, might re-ignite my dream this, spent 160 wonderful hours in PA28s and 172s, so I might just go for it!

SafariChris
12th Mar 2009, 21:55
Don't be put off feeling you're too old ! Good friend of mine left a career as a plant fitter (JCB's) at 43 i think. Learned to fly and now sits in the left seat of a 146.
He also had pretty bad dyslexia which made for interesting tech log entries :E Made a fine Captain though.

Good luck
Chris

16down2togo
12th Mar 2009, 22:15
You just got to be shure what you want and what to expect.
Just read a book about a famous heart surgeon who turned in his career to become a truck driver in europe at age 57!!!
The guy is absolutly happy but he really new the ups and downs before he switched.
If you can live it and love it - do it but don't think it's the job from a 70's novel.
Still it can be one of the best ways to earn your money but it has it's hard times and sides.
All the best for your career!

DA50driver
13th Mar 2009, 05:28
Congratulations on the first solo and the child, that's is great.

I did chase the dream, I have flown night freight, a great, fun job. It didn't pay the best, but lots of good experience. Now I m 40, I have seen the world and I have spent the last few years flying the most advanced corporate airplanes around the world, 14 hours at a time. That has been fun as well, but I am looking to leave to spend more time at home with my kids before they move out. So I am wondering if its too late for me to go to law school and become a lawyer. In my opinion it is only to late if I let it be.

Chase the dream, I am lucky enough to go chase the second dream at this point. Flying has been great for 20 years, now I want to go sue the crap out of someone so I can buy my own plane.

J_I_Logan
5th Sep 2011, 15:10
I got my RA-AUS Pilot's Certificate on the Evector SportStar and then went on to the Cub Crafters Sport Cub. I love flying that beauty at 500 ft along the coast at 50mph 3 stages flap and windows open :-) I was happy to call that my goal but I made the happy mistake of inquiring about the PostGradDip in Aviation at UniSA. They rolled out the red carpet and are arranging funding for the 18 month course beginning this coming January that will set me up with a CPL ME-CIR and over 300 hours on book by graduation. I hope I can up my hours even further with volunteer flights for Angel Flight and the odd scenic gig.

Thanks to all posters and all of the great aviators I've met over the last couple years who have encouraged me to fly the dream.

BTW: The first and second bub have taken all my non-working non-flying time. I'll keep posting significant developments when I can sneak a moment of peace and quiet :-)

Jetsitter
18th Sep 2011, 16:00
If you love flying, any job is a dream job.
Some come into aviation for other reasons, like money, prestige, glamour, and will be repeatedly discouraged.
Aviation may have been all that in the distant past. Still in few countries?
I do not have corporate flying experience, but have done pretty much everything else.
Banner towing, instructing, Alaska bush, night cargo, pax, ETOPS, CFR 121, 135, 91, scheduled, charter, piston, turbine, jet.
Management may lead you to dislike any job, only if you let them!
Best of luck.