PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Cadetship interviews....

Flying Squid
11th Jan 2009, 13:31
Afternoon All...

Just wondered if anyone else has got the nice letter form Multi Flight inviting the to an interview???? Got mine yesterday so need to brush up on some maths and science prior to the assessment me thinks!!!

FS :ok:

lg89
12th Jan 2009, 00:21
Sure am! Got my letter through the other day.

ST-EX
12th Jan 2009, 07:48
Damn you both! I am still awaiting a reply:bored:. Not that I'm bitter in any way! Out of interest, when did you guys send your applications?
Best of luck:ok:

Flying Squid
12th Jan 2009, 13:28
Sent my application back in October. I wonder how many places they have available and how many will be at the assessment???

lg89
12th Jan 2009, 14:24
I visited them back in September about it but was told it had stopped running. I then visited again in December about training with them and was told that Atlantic airlines was merging with West Air from Sweeden and they are starting the program up again. I booked in to renew my medical and sent the application in on New years eve as I was told that assesments were soon into the new year.

When did you apply ST-EX?

lg89

ST-EX
12th Jan 2009, 16:43
Thanks for the replies-I actually sent my application on the 5th January, so it's probably sitting under an enormous pile of applications, so might be a while before I hear anything.
I may be jumping the gun a little here, but what does the assesment involve? A few tests and an interview? Thanks for any info.

flyasthesky
12th Jan 2009, 16:47
Hi guys, only applied for this last week. The interview could be an experience itself, that's my motto:8:8:8.

Flying Squid
12th Jan 2009, 17:25
Yeah totally agree. Im not counting my chickens...... If it comes off fantastic but this is a great opportunity and there's going to be some serious talent for this so fingers crossed!!!

They've been pretty hectic with the merger so Im sure your applications will be looked at soon. They'll get back to you pretty quickly I would imagine so good luck all.

Hope to meet you all next week!!! :ok:

lg89
12th Jan 2009, 21:07
Totally agree with that FS! We can all only do our best.

So thats 4 of us that should hopefully be there.

LG89

student88
12th Jan 2009, 21:40
Are they still accepting applications or had the deadline arrived? I can't find anything on the Multiflight website that states when it closed. Thanks in advance..

S88:ok:

Cadet Pilot Flight Training: Multiflight Leeds Bradford Airport (http://www.multiflight.com/flight-training-centre/cadet-scheme.php)

lg89
12th Jan 2009, 22:01
Im not too sure on the deadlines, but no up to date details have been shown on the website since Atlantic merged with West air. The assesments are next week so I'm guessing that it might be too late but if you were to send it in quick they might get in contact or you could try ringing them as soon as possible.

Flying Squid
12th Jan 2009, 23:04
Deadline has come and gone. I only know this as a mate gave them a shout to find that this assessment intake has been closed but the next one scheduled for 6 months time. I think they accept applications on an ongoing basis and contact you as and when they are planning an intake. Not 100% sure though. Worth giving Multi Flight a shout I would imagine!

Even if this is the case, news of another intake in 6 months is pretty exciting given the torrant of doom and gloom in the industry at the mo!!!!

So other than lg89 and myself has anyone else had an assessment invite through??? Im assuming a fair few went out so and I would have thought on the same day so the next couple of days people should have heard I guess.

Anyone ever done the Multi Flight assessment day....if so any feedback would be really helpful????? :):):)

Cheers

Herjan
13th Jan 2009, 13:37
Hello Lads!
Finaly my mail arrived...3 days delay here to Sweden.Looking forward to meet you other 4(?) Are you all from UK?

Flying Squid
13th Jan 2009, 13:58
Herjan....congrats buddy. I'm from the UK and lg89 is too. At the mo we're the only 3 on here that have confirmed places next week but I rekon they'll be around 10 people there. Looking forward to meeting you mate.

Best of luck.

lg89
13th Jan 2009, 22:59
Cheers for that John. IR practice? Not done any instrument flying before except the odd bit on FS but I'l get some practice in with that.

Is the science Physics science or Bio and Chem also?

r44flyer
14th Jan 2009, 10:21
JohnHannon... if you wouldn't mind, could you give us a bit more of a run-down on exactly what the assessments involve?

Also, can you tell me how the work and training is organised with regards to timescales? Now that the training is at Multiflight, when do you go up there to do the flight training?

As I understand it, you stay in Coventry and work as groundstaff or whatever, whilst doing distance learning for the ATPLs, and hour building if you need to, then you have a residential course in Leeds to do the flight training. What time targets are you given to complete your study by, if any? How soon could you expect to complete the flight training? How long can you expect to be in Leeds before moving back to Coventry?

Thanks!

Flying Squid
14th Jan 2009, 10:34
JohnHannon....

How many attended your assessment day and how many subsequently got taken on???

Cheers

MMEMatty
14th Jan 2009, 11:18
Although, as John said, there is an element of Instrument Flight on the application test, I wouldnt worry too much. They won't be expecting an NDB hold and approach in a hooning crosswind on one engine down to minimum...

Practice by all means, but it is just an exercise to see how you respond to critique and how quickly you learn...

Good Luck all! Hope to see you soon!

:ok:

lg89
14th Jan 2009, 14:49
cheers for that, I guess il just have a practice on NDB Let downs and ILS's and what I know,

R44, I'm guessing you recieved the golden letter too?

Too low
14th Jan 2009, 15:58
Hi all.

Just to let you know, that I'll be there on tuesday too.

See you there guys.

lg89
14th Jan 2009, 16:31
Awsome Too Low, so thats 5 or 6 of us now then?

LG89

pheeel
14th Jan 2009, 16:51
That's great news that this scheme is open again!

Have the previous cadets who were told they had to wait "indefinitely" actually got to go on line/cpl-ir ing now??:) Hope so!

Too low
23rd Jan 2009, 15:02
Here we go, first to get an answer apparently.
I just had a letter from multi-flight, and i'm out :ugh:
Don't know why, all the tests, interview and sim-test went perfectly ok... :hmm:
And as they told us, no feedback... that really sucks!
Any body else got the black letter?! :}

lg89
23rd Jan 2009, 19:26
yeh i got the letter today, i got thru. dont know how they assessed it really tho.

All you guys that were there, add me on facebook or msn if you have it, [email protected] would be great to keep in contact with u all and c how things go.

take care all

rhythm08
24th Jan 2009, 12:43
Hi Guys

I'm looking to apply for the October in take, so what did Multi flight do for the assesment before sending the successful candiates through?

Cheers

Flying Squid
24th Jan 2009, 15:23
I also got the 'black letter' unfortunately. To be honest the length of fuglyship was a nasty shock. 6-12 months I can live with but upwards of 18 months before being given a date for CPL/IR is a bit too much for me I'm afraid. I had a really long drive home to mull it over but in the end I made the decision not to go any further with it regardless of the outcome. But that said, I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a kick in the balls not to be asked to go any further.

I must be missing something with the no feedback policy. Some companies have to do it because of the number of applicants but there was only 7 of us there so can't be that. I know I would have liked to know how my first ever sim assessment went. I felt it wasn't too bad. Not fantastic by any means but certainly no disaster. Really enjoyed it as it goes.

Anyway, for those going through to the next stage....best of luck with the board interview, really hope it goes well for you!!!!!!

Flying Squid
24th Jan 2009, 15:35
Rhythm08......

Stage 1 - English, Maths and Science tests. 45 mins allowed for each. Basic GCSE stuff.

Stage 2 - Interview with 3 Multiflight Instructors

Stage 3 - Sim assessment. (Depart out of Leeds, Climb to nominated level at given speed and level off, a few standard turns, track towards a VOR, fly approach back into Leeds from 8.5dme at given speeds and configurations. A full sim profile sheet gets given to you the night before. Read it and read it well!!!!!!!!)

Its really good fun! My first time flying a complex a/c so it was hard work but overall pretty enjoyable!

Good luck!

m0rt1L
24th Jan 2009, 16:31
i did all my training over at multiflight, top people there, very down to earth you will love it. good luck :ok:

Captain_Scooby
24th Jan 2009, 17:14
Not sure if anyone from Atlantic was on the interviewing board, but as with most of the Atlantic group, if they feel you won't 'fit in', you won't get in, regardless of how well you do in the other parts of the assessment.

Don't take it to heart if you didn't get through... there's probably not a lot more you could have done.

Too low
24th Jan 2009, 20:04
Not sure if anyone from Atlantic was on the interviewing board, but as with most of the Atlantic group, if they feel you won't 'fit in', you won't get in, regardless of how well you do in the other parts of the assessment.I know that it will sound really easy to say that now that I've been dumped. But that's exactly the felling I have.... I mean, why else could they have sent two people from Atlantic just to "meet us", on the first day?
And that's why, I wont re-apply (as they invite to do in the letter) in six month.

argon18
24th Jan 2009, 21:04
Maybe they had 2 representatives there as it's the first time Atlantic and Multiflight have gone into this scheme together. Maybe because Atlantic are paying a small fortune for cadet training so it makes sense to have involvement in the selection.

Just a thought.

Flying Squid
24th Jan 2009, 22:10
Sponsorship aside, I was really really impressed with Multiflight. Great facilities, really nice instructors, friendly ground staff, nice sim and really tidy aircraft. If it wasn't so far away from where I live they'd be a very very serious contender for my CPL/IR.

argon..... I'm not looking to turn this thread into a sponsorship debate but Atlantic aren't doing this scheme because they want to do young pilot's a favour. Honestly mate, I knew the fuglyship was very very hard work but being paid flat minimum wage for a 40 hour week despite often working in excess of 60 hours or so means that actually they arent spending a small fortune, they're saving one!!!! I don't mean that to sound bitchy because I really appreciate their honesty about the whole thing. But having probed the cadet that attended and the HR managed I can assure you they get their money's worth over the course of the 12-20 months fuglyship!

I still would love to fly for them in the future. Really like them as a company.....just not through the fuglyship route thanks. They said on the day that its not for everyone and it certainly aint for me.

rhythm08
25th Jan 2009, 08:15
Thanks for the info Flying Squid, Which sim did they use on you up at multi flight?

Cheers

m0rt1L
25th Jan 2009, 08:50
The only sim they have is the Super Kingair which can be setup as a dutchess, v nice sim.

flyasthesky
25th Jan 2009, 10:44
I wouln't feel to bad as I wasn't even called for interview/assessment, said my application was unsuccessful. I'm not really to bothered though.;);)

Flying Squid
25th Jan 2009, 12:04
flyasthesky......

Don't worry mate. There's another intake in a few months I think. As I said above it was a great experience to go up there, meet the people and go through a proper selection process. I was really dissapointed that the fuglyship thing turned out not to be quite as I thought but thats life. I'd still go again just for the interview and sim ride.

I don't know how far down the road you are with training but around half of us there are at least 1/3 the way through the ATPL's. There were a couple that hadn't started but had degree's.

Whatever you decide, good luck fella.

:ok:

PPL152
25th Jan 2009, 13:44
Hello everyone

How easy is it to get on the scheme? I have all requirements except the class I medical and I am thinking of doing it in order to apply for this scheme. Thanks.

nbhangde
26th Jan 2009, 15:37
Hi guys,

Has everyone got a letter through?I've had no news what so ever.The waiting is mega nerve racking isn't it!! good luck guys!

lg89
26th Jan 2009, 17:04
hey nbhangde, i think 5 out of the 7 have recieved letters so far.... were you at the assesment last week with us?

rhythm08
26th Jan 2009, 18:13
Is the sim full visuals?

nbhangde
27th Jan 2009, 11:08
hi mate. yeah i was there last week i was the lad who had the cpl/ir. I think i must be one of the last ones to find out. how many people out of the 5 have got through?

lg89
27th Jan 2009, 11:16
Oh yeh, its Nim? isnt it? yeh i think everyone else has heard, must be becasue you are doing different thing???

nbhangde
27th Jan 2009, 12:03
yeah thats me mate... how many got through?

lg89
27th Jan 2009, 14:15
4 so far, one not heard from yet, how do you think yours went?

TheFlyingMonkey
2nd Feb 2009, 20:28
Hi guys,
Well done to you guys who got in, sounds like an amazing opportunity, especially in the current climate.

I'm looking to apply for the next intake, gonna try and get a few more hours under my belt in the meantime. Can anyone say what sort of calibre was at the selection?? Flying experience etc? I see Nim has CPL/IR!?

Too low
5th Feb 2009, 09:41
So, what's new?
How went the last interview for the ones who made it?
How many people were on that last bit?
Did anybody had a positive answer from Atlantic?

lg89
5th Feb 2009, 11:52
hey, the interviews were supposed to be yesterday but they got postponed because of the weather. Hopefully should be within the next week or so! Theres 4 of us from the assesment day that are going.

nbhangde
6th Feb 2009, 13:05
hi guys.. make that 5 from then and theres another lad that has gone through a different way he'll be there.. so from what i believe there should be 6 of us in total.... have any of us been told anything for when they are yet?

Nim

rhythm08
22nd Feb 2009, 17:12
Hi

Doing my PPL currently and looking to hour build for the next intake. Does anybody know what the situation is with getting the 100 P1 hours? Of course it does say not necessary for the right candidate.

Cheers

Jay

lg89
23rd Feb 2009, 02:38
thats true, its not essential if you are right for the job it seems. Many people who were at the assesments did not have the full 100 hours P1. I would suggest applying and doing as many hours as you can, you're going to have to do them anyway at some point. Atlantic seem like a great company to work for and from what experience I have had with them, i would have no trouble in recommending them to anyone!

Good luck with your application, any questions feel free to PM me.

LG89

Atlantic_Conveyor
23rd Feb 2009, 10:12
Atlantic seem like a great company to work for and from what experience I have had with them, i would have no trouble in recommending them to anyone! Ahhh, you fresh faced Fug wannabes, you guys are just so naive. Trust me, this is a dog eat dog operation and they might well screw you over. Cadets in the past have not always been treated fairly, worked too hard for no pay and had the training goalposts moved.

There is only one way to deal with the Atlantic's, of this world and that is to go in with your mince pies wide open.

JamesTigris
23rd Feb 2009, 11:41
Does anyone know what is happening with this scheme?

It seems there has been a recent round of interviews/assessments but there appears to be no application deadline on the website. Is it on a rolling basis?

I put an application in a couple of weeks ago and would like to know if it has been kind-heartedly binned as late.

I've been down to Atlantic and know that the life of a cadet is far from an easy one. But certainly its no easier fighting for a job eleswhere even without the millstone of debt!

x933
23rd Feb 2009, 21:27
+1 Atlantic Conveyor...

Used to be a good scheme - you can do better with RVL or Highland IMO now.

lg89
25th Feb 2009, 14:58
That would be more than enough im sure... most the people who passed the assesments didn't have degrees. Its not a requirement from them.

hingey
25th Feb 2009, 16:21
Sponsorship hunter, with those kind of qualifications I'd aim a little higher than Atlantic if I were you.

h

1mag1n3
25th Feb 2009, 16:33
This may sound rather naive, however is their any other companies which offer similar schemes to Atlantic, perhaps without the need for such an amount of flying as an entry requirement.

I have had a very difficult time finding any online information for courses, other than those talked about on PPrune. Unless they are the only ones?

PS- I am pretty sure I will achieve AAA at A Level (Maths, Further Maths, Geography), and then a C in Physics or a B depending on the work I put in.

rhythm08
25th Feb 2009, 18:37
You have RVL next door to Atlantic, and also Highland Airways up in Scotland, neither of which mention academic qualifications.

Whats with the slagging of Atlantic? They are an awesome airline offering to take you from; PPL to CPL, IR, ME, MCC and give you a type rating on an ATP or Electra!

leedspotter
25th Feb 2009, 22:37
Without a doubt, one of the best ways of getting onto the european pilot career ladder.

The company take on many cadets each year, from what ive heard, only the best make it through the scheme. So, getting the sponsorship is hard, but keeping it is the hardest part!

quant
26th Feb 2009, 17:24
PS- I am pretty sure I will achieve AAA at A Level (Maths, Further Maths, Geography), and then a C in Physics or a B depending on the work I put in.Your academics are impressive and certainly indicate that you are capable of passing exams to a high standard however i believe when airlines select their cadets they do so on the basis of a well rounded individual with some life experience and off course your ability to fly.

I am well above the upper age limit with numerous degrees and multiflight said that i can apply next time round so i will definetly be giving it a shot.

good luck all sounds like a fantastic scheme. :p

x933
26th Feb 2009, 21:40
Lambs to the slaughter, eh Hingey...

JamesTigris
27th Feb 2009, 09:27
There are three schemes which are offered under the 'Cadetship' title and I believe all fall under what was once a single company/group of companies.

Atlantic
Highland
RVL

All advertise the schemes on their websites but finding out about when they are recruiting seems to be about luck and magic as they are not well advertised.

I have contacted all three on various occasions over the last few years and was even interviewed at Atlantic for an Ops job. But I have yet to be in the right place at the right time to get a Cadetship application in!

As for being overqualified and aiming higher. Sponsorship-wise unless you're a national of a country which sponsors for its flag carrier (or lucky enough to be the best on the planet for Etihad!) then there is no other genuine schemes to aim for, higher or otherwise.

I am a masters of Physics graduate with 2 years professional experience in another industry. I would be unlikely to seriously struggle with the academic side, and would still apply to this scheme if I could. So that's the kind of competition you'll be up against from a qualifications point of view. But it will ultimately be about much more than that separating the selected from the rejected.

Good luck all.

RobStob
27th Feb 2009, 13:04
I actually know an employee who flies for RVL who recommended the scheme. Sounds very promising. You might be contracted to work for 4/5 years with the company on completion of the scheme, and worked very hard whilst completing it, but to have your training paid for is possibly the best opportunity around. It really depends on if you care about coming out the other end and going onto jets sooner rather than later. Obviously if that's what you're looking for you'll have around 5 years before you can start looking for a jet t/r. I was looking at applying to RVL, in fact I had my application ready to send off before I was accepted into the CTC Wings Cadet scheme. I know it's a little pricey when you pay for the foundation PPL out in NZ, but to get your jet t/r and line training paid for, with the likelihood of being a f/o at the age of 21/22, is too tempting a prospect to not pursue.

Is the Highland scheme still open? I'm sure I checked their website and read that it had been closed for some time. One of my old flying instructors went to fly for them.

Good luck to all who apply for the schemes. I've spoken to cadets from both schemes who were very happy.

Atlantic_Conveyor
28th Feb 2009, 11:05
The Atlantic Airlines, scheme is only half sponsored, so the Fug's tell me. And you need to fund the PPL and hours building off your own back. This does not seem like a good deal to me when you need to spend 12-24 months earning minimum wage. I don't know the deal with RVL for sure. However, I do know that their pilots are on 24/7 callout at short notice with no quality time off. Like Atlantic, they fly very few hours and the planes are mostly not turbine, so not ideal career wise. The work is also by it's nature quite dangerous, don't forget it. The Highland one seems like the best of a bad bunch, but 5 years on a J31 in a hick town in the back of beyond.....also a danger job.

If I was young again I think I'd get a good job outside of flying, pay for it all off my own back and instruct my way up to 1000hrs ASAP. RVL, Highland and Atlantic will still want you because they are all desperate, all the time and always will be, for good reasons. That way you can used them like all the other young guys do, Get a quick command and leave for greener pastures. These are all good stepping stone flying jobs but leave it to obsolete old wrecks like me to be stuck for 5-7 years.