PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Assessment Preparation

Allioth
11th Jan 2009, 12:59
Hi everyone,
I'm about to finish my frozen ATPL course, and would like to join Ryanair... Could anyone that is in the company already, tell me the questions they ask in the interview, and the sim check profile?
Thank you in advance
Allioth

m0rt1L
11th Jan 2009, 14:26
Check a couple of pages back on this forum and you'll find thousands of posts regarding info on Ryanair Interviews. :ok:

Niado
14th Jan 2009, 13:58
Im in the same position... just check the threads as i did and you will find a heap of knowledge and questions. Copy and Paste will become your best friend.

Ive just got my MCC to do then knocking at Ryanairs doors.

Reluctant737
15th Jan 2009, 01:24
Word of advice old bean - do your MCC with Ryanair, from how I have explained it to colleagues of mine it seems a much more straightforward option. It was professional yet informal, and they assess your performance during the course as opposed to a sim check, all that is required is to do the two interviews. They also use FR SOPs during their MCC and it DID help at the interview that they knew I took it with them.

Sorry if I come across single tracked, but I would highly recommend it, but the decision of course is up to you :ok:

tony2F
15th Jan 2009, 07:45
Sorry guys, but times change and the ryanair mcc no longer is a way in, nor does it do you any favours. Ryanair changed that system in May 08 all canditates have the interview and sim to do. From what I've heard over the last few months, no MCC gives you a helping hand. There are loads of threads on PPrune about FR and if you do your research you'll find that maybe now is not the best time to apply. Its very very difficult to get in and you will be judged on that 30 mins on the sim, nothin else!!!How you can judge anyone in 30 mins is another story!!

Reluctant737
15th Jan 2009, 12:07
Tony2F,

Thanks for that, I was completely unaware we weren't offering that program any longer.

And to answer your second question, I guess you've just got to be real good like me :p In all seriousness - I see where you're coming from, but I beg to differ re assessing someone in such a short time frame. When you fly your SID out of Liverpool or Newcastle or whereever, they will be looking for your ability to learn over anything else, seconded by your natural ability to fly accurately and exercise excellent CRM with your flying partner. I don't think there is much bias involved - I was a 250 hr Oxford grad when I got in last April, and I was paired with a 'stupid amount of hours' Captain who was out of work. Which can either be seen as a good or a bad thing - personally I found it much easier working with somebody who already knew what they were doing (the guy was 738NG type rated) and allowed me to really show what I was capable of.

I would recommend "Ace the technical pilot interview" - CAUTION, this book does contain much false practical information as I now realise, but I utilised some of the information with it during my interview and it got me through. I would also recommend the '737NG Cockpit Companion' for some 'light' reading. As it happened I was not asked any questions in my interview specific to the 737, but you never know, and you want to get it right the first time because if you don't, that's six months (I think?) before you can reapply and a further six months in an otherwise jobless market.

And make sure you know your basic Principles of Flight - a few of the questions I was asked -

What is the load factor in a 70 degree bank? (3 Gs)
What is the speed of sound at sea level? (Around 660 knots, varying according to temperature)
How does weight affect the gliding range in still wind? (It doesn't, regardless of the wind)
Taxiing above what speed can have adverse affects on the crown of the tyres? (Again variable, but around 40 km/h, 20 knots ish), which seemed an odd one considering the Ryanair cliche of taxiing at V1!
And there was the usual, decending at X fpm with X tailwind, X TAS what distance over the ground would you cover descending from X to Y altitude? For reference, the numbers involved were quite simple/multiples of 60 if I remember right.Overall, be yourself, and try to enjoy it, the guys I had were pretty laid back and informal, and the questions were integrated into conversation as opposed to being fired at me one after the other. There were none of those dreaded 'Name a time when you demonstrated this or that'. Not that I have a problem with those of course!

Hope this helps and best of luck,

Ad

Niado
16th Jan 2009, 19:11
Reluctant737 it seems like you are living my life. If you were taken on last year by Ryanair, can you tell me how long it took for you to complete the Type rating; also have you secured a job and in the right seat or are you in a waiting pool?

I ask because this was my plan before all this economic stuff started to happen. And i know everyone is saying there are jobs out their, but i have committments at home and dont really have the luxury of going abroad to start my career.

have you visually seen any new F/O's start with ryanair lately-- to give hopeee

Reluctant737
17th Jan 2009, 04:17
Niado,

The type rating was just under two months - I began line training late June last year and reached 500 hours just under a month ago. Things are still relatively unaffected here - contrary to popular belief we are still taking guys straight onto the type rating programs, I don't know what any of this about a hold pool is, this is the first I heard of it on here so I'm not too quizzed up about it!

The bottom line is, despite what the regulars are saying, there will ALWAYS be jobs for low hour grads regardless of the state of the economy. Whether you can take a stroll to your local flying school or reputable airline, or you have to travel to Vietnam is a completely different issue - and there will be probably be a difference of about 50 tonnes in the equipment you'll be flying in the current market!

At times like these it's very much 'who you know' - sending off CV after CV will get you nowhere except depression - you must be proactive, get talking to people. People make a common mistake on this website, and that's to say jobs are non-existent. That's untrue and not the difficult part. The difficult part is locating these jobs because 99% of them are not the kind likely to be published on PJN. As I said in another thread, a friend of mine got in his car a few weeks ago and drove round damn near every airfield in the UK looking for work. He now has two jobs which together form a full time salary. One of those jobs is a Duchess air taxi over to Scandinavia, the other is flying a chieftain on aerial survey work. Sure, he is definitely in the minority right now, but if he had sat at home he'd have probably been on this website now like most guys seem to do, moaning about how **** things are.

Food for thought.

Ad :ok:

p.s. I am STN based, so you have asked an impossible question regarding new FOs seen with my own two eyes - I've only been based here since September so it's all still a bit of a mix to me, everyone or noone could be the new guy as far as I know!

Niado
18th Jan 2009, 22:00
so we have one who has recently joined, one in the holding pool and me waiting to send my CV out.

joys of life. Can i ask if you kept your cv to one page? I've seen a mates who joined Monarch recently and it was very basic- read like a SOP- you just went down the side and read of the info. I guess it was efficient if anything. Is this how you done yours:ok:

McBruce
20th Jan 2009, 22:31
R737,

The hold pool is for cadets only. I think OCC courses are running for skippers, as you know, we don't need any more FO's at the minute. In terms of when the new courses start, thats any ones guess. March 09 was forecasted in September/October 08, the current climate will dictate when the doors open and the pending boeing strike (April I think) will affect base openings and delivery of new aircraft which may affect cadet TR courses, I would suspect.

Swinglow
5th Feb 2009, 16:54
Anyone else besides gb2009 who has been to Bournemouth Flight Simulation? was it worth it?

nick14
11th Feb 2009, 14:16
floating rate tracking BOE base rate so im happy !!! :D:ok:

FrankAbagnale
11th Feb 2009, 14:21
I hope my bank folds up so i dont have to pay them back :}

Johny Cash
23rd Feb 2009, 16:37
Hi Gb2009,

first of all cogratulations for your entry to ryan. As I read you have just passed your interviews and whole acceptance process.

I wanted to to know how long it took to you since you sent the application form until they contact you for the first time? and how much time in advance do they inform you about the interviews and simulator? Do I have time enough to prepare or is it really close.
Another thing is what is it expected on the Sim check. Is it a normal check with engien failure after T/O and a couple of ILS app or what.....

And one more thing after the TR do you know sth about wages in Ryan for cadet pilots? There is a lot of information on captain wages, but nothing on ready entry cadets. It is important to know about, especially because we have to pay for the TR.

Many thanks

nick14
24th Feb 2009, 11:33
I submitted my CV in late September and was called about 2/3 weeks later and given a date about 2/3weeks ahead so plenty of time to prepare.

The interview is very relaxed with the usual questions about your training your background, why you failed this/did well in that. What is radiation fog, how does a jet work, what engines does the 738 have, how many seats, where do we fly to.

They then explained a bit about the TR cost and the commitment required and then asked why they should employ me.

The assesment sim check is basic stuff:

TO, fly a basic SID and then steep turns, climbs descents, acceleration and deceleration exercises. After that you brief the approach and fly it (I did an NDB/DME into Newcastle). Some people had engine failures/heart attacks on board/ door opening so had to deal with that as well.

The cadet wages as far as I am aware are as follows:

They begin on line training after you are safety pilot released (2/3 weeks iv heard) and start at 45E/SHB - 4.5E/hr sim so 40.5E (what it sates on your roster)

After your line check it goes upto 65E/SBH - 4.5E sim so 60.5E

after 500hrs on type with RYR its 75/SBH - 4.5E sim so 70.5E

after 1500hrs on type with RYR its 85/SBH - 4.5 sim so 80.5E

These figures are not accurate but are as far as I know.

Nick

McBruce
24th Feb 2009, 15:10
60E <500hrs JAR25
80E >500hrs JAR25
85E >1500hrs JAR25

Subtract 4.5E per hour for sim.

adwjenk
24th Feb 2009, 15:10
Up to 500hrs = 60E
After 500hr-1500hrs = 80E
1500hrs + = 85E

Above please take away 4.50E for ur 6 monthly sim!
If you are away from base add 20E to the above figures.
The above is what you will be paid per block hour...........For the mean time!!!!!

lol snap

nick14
24th Feb 2009, 15:23
Ah I was close,

Im assuming that the 6monthly sim fee is taken out of every hour of every flying day you do?

N

MVE
24th Feb 2009, 19:20
I suggestDanny wouldn't mind VA advertising considering the fortune they spend with Pprune in advertising.

Ryanair pilots, Do you actually have to pay Ryanair for your OPC/LPC sims? Surely not?:ugh:

mar_tab
25th Feb 2009, 01:01
Hello.
I have a question about assessment in Ryanair because I have B737 TR (EFIS) and I a small experience in airline (<500). I want to know that I have a chance go to intreviev ( on Ryanair web ther is only info - "Cadet- No Airline experience").
Thanks for any answers.

Wetstart
25th Feb 2009, 06:54
Ryan is taking only experienced capitans and low hours cadet for the type rating program ; i don't think that in this moment they will hire people that have the tr yet

-8AS
25th Feb 2009, 09:04
MVE - Ryanair pilots do not pay for recurrent training (LPC/OPC etc). However, Brookfield pilots do, and it is deducted from their block hour pay in the manner described in this thread.

mech500
25th Feb 2009, 11:28
Hi, sorry for my ignorance :\ but with regards to the previous thread relating to pay etc, could someone please explain what this means:

'' 75/SBH - 4.5E sim so 70.5E ''

For instance, what does 'SBH' denote? I am assuming 'E' denotes euros?
Also, is the hyphen signifying a range of payments or is it a subtraction sign?

One more point ... does Ryan Air pay pilots per hour flown? is there not a base salary?

Again apologies for my ignorance ... i'm just another wannabe

Thanks again

nick14
25th Feb 2009, 11:33
SBH is Sheduled block hour, basically you get paid for the hours on your roster. No base salary.

E is euros yes, as for the hyphen its a minus. so 80 euros minus 4.5 euros for LPC/OPC

Nick

Mr M.
25th Feb 2009, 11:58
Hi everybody,

Could I expect to be called from FR with a university Degree and 240 TT, I send the aplication 2 weeks ago and have no news.

Would I have more possibilities if I do do the MCC 737-800 program.

Thanks for your help, first time I write here...:ok:

TheGlide
25th Feb 2009, 19:03
Mr M
Its very difficult at the moment to get an Interview ,
Dont be surprised if you dont hear back
Just keep plugging away though .Also if you want to enter Ryanair, 800
time will benefit you for the sim check but they may roast you a bit

Mr M.
25th Feb 2009, 19:18
Thanks for your answer theglide, IŽll keep trying..

nick14
26th Feb 2009, 11:20
The 800 time may well be of use but im sure it will cost you more. Why don't you consider doing a simmilar MCC in a 737-400? Similar aircraft set up and speeds etc, you can always ask to do a few sessions with RYR SOP's, I did in my last few sims.

It took them a week or so to get back to me in November, not sure whether the situation has changed.