PDA

View Full Version : Getting Rupees to spend in India

UniFoxOs
11th Jan 2009, 10:34
It is getting close to the time of our trip to India and I am thinking about currency. Our guide book says that you are not supposed to take Rupees into India, yet my normal FX website will supply them here no problem. So can anyone tell me:-

a) Is the guide book telling me true, and up to date?
b) Does anybody check when you arrive anyway?
c) If we can't take them with us what is the optimum way to get some spending money when we arrive?

Went to Tanzania year before last (local flight from Mombasa, but still international), and same applied there, but there was no check at Kilimanjaro airport, and I felt quite embarrassed with no local currency for a couple of hours for tips, drinks etc. when I could easily have taken some in anyway. If we can't take any Rupees to India will the locals accept USD until we can get some?

Cheers
UFO

AGPwallah
11th Jan 2009, 11:14
Just about to do my fifth trip to India, and apart from left-over currency from last trip I never take rupees. I take my trusty Nationwide Flexaccount cash/debit card which gives me close on commercial rates and doesn't charge transaction fees either. ATMs are in plentiful supply at airports and in town and city areas. I've never personally been asked if I'm carrying rupees into India but you do fill in a customs declaration on the aircraft for presentation upon arrival.

You don't happen to be on VS350 to Mumbai on 30 Jan do you?

essouira
11th Jan 2009, 12:03
We just got back from mumbai yesterday. At no stage did anyone ask us whether we were carrying rupees.
However, there are ATMs and currency desks at the airport. If you are stuck for a tip before you get change, take some pound coins or dollar notes and you will find them very welcome !
Have a good trip. Be warned that security in India is (understandably) very tight at the minute so allow plenty of time if you are catching any internal flights - the queues can be horrendous.

UniFoxOs
11th Jan 2009, 12:37
You don't happen to be on VS350 to Mumbai on 30 Jan do you?

No, we are travelling EMA direct to GOA on 2nd Feb, then internal next day to Delhi for the Golden Triangle (5 days), and back to GOA for just over a week on the beach to relax.

UFO

davidjohnson6
11th Jan 2009, 12:41
The difference between buying and selling rates at most UK bureaux de change is enormous on things like euros or US dollars - never mind a currency that is deemed as non-core like rupees. The cut that bureaux and banks take in India is far smaler - you're much better off changing your money in India.

flyinthesky
13th Jan 2009, 11:06
We operate to Goa all through the winter. Your best options are to use a Nationwide Flex Account card in an ATM or if you don't have one, then we use a small jewellery shop just outside the hotel gates. He gives all the crew 70 rupees to the pound at the mo, which is 10 more than the airport FX in Goa and just shy of the bank rate using a card. They love sterling! Wherever you are in Goa, I am sure you will find similar vendors. No, they don't look like a travelex, but they do a great job. That's the beauty of India!!! Enjoy.

ptr120
13th Jan 2009, 11:09
when you land at Goa airport you can change your currency at the small office in the baggage hall. Pound coins are indeed very welcome by the porters!

Scumbag O'Riley
13th Jan 2009, 12:18
Giving a whole pound/dollar as a tip in India is a very bad thing to do for many reasons.

Even the custom official when I was there last only wanted 100rp to let my bags leave the country.

A pound for a porter :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

Rush2112
14th Jan 2009, 02:39
We went to Kerela a couple of years ago and took the equivalent of about $50 in rupees from a money changer here. I assume they dont want you taking vast sums of cash in, which is fair enough.

UniFoxOs
31st Jan 2009, 09:22
flyinthesky - Which hotel is that?

UFO