PDA

View Full Version : Proposed NOTAM for Avalon from 12th Jan!

John Eacott
11th Jan 2009, 07:17
This is the draft of a proposed NOTAM to (further) 'protect' RPT ops at Avalon from the 12th January 2009:

A) YAM
B) 0901 xxxxxx
C) 0903 zzzzzz
D) HJ - EXCEPT WHEN YMAV CLASS C AIRSPACE IS ACTIVATED BY NOTAM.

E) TEMPO RESTRICTED AREA IS ESTABLISHED WITHIN THE LATERAL AND VERTICAL LIMITS OF THE EXISTING AVALON CONTROL ZONE AND AVALON CONTROL AREA FOR THE PROTECTION OF PUBLIC TRANSPORT SERVICES

LATERAL AND VERTICAL LIMITS: AS DEPICTED ON THE MELBOURNE VISUAL TERMINAL CHART AND TERMINAL AREA CHART (TAC-3) AS AVALON CTR AND AVALON C AIRSPACE.

CONDITIONS FOR OPR IN THE TRA: ALL ACFT OPR IN THE TRA MUST;
- BE EQUIPPED WITH A SERVICEABLE MODE A/C TRANSPONDER,
- SELECT TRANSPONDER ON MODE A/C,
- BE EQUIPPED WITH A SERVICEABLE VHF RADIO,
- COMPLY WITH RADIO BROADCAST REQUIREMENTS FOR A NON-CONTROLLED AERODROME DESIGNATED UNDER CAR 166A IAW AIP ENR 1.1- 43 44

CA/GRS OPR DAILY BETWEEN 0730-1230 AND 1330-1600 LOCAL ON 120.1MHZ (AV CTAF).

THIS AIRSPACE IS NOT CONTROLLED AIRSPACE AS PER AIP ENR 1.1 PARA 3.1, THEREFORE CLEARANCE TO ENTER AND OPERATE WITHIN THE AIRSPACE IS NOT REQUIRED.

CLASS G AIRSPACE PROCEDURES APPLY. CLASS G DTI SVC AVBL IAW AIP GEN 3.3 PARAS 2.15 2.16. WI 30NM YMML FM ML RADAR FREQ 135.7 MHZ: BEYOND 30NM YMML FM ML CEN FREQ 126.8

CONTROLLING AUTHORITY: CIVIL AVIATION SAFETY AUTHORITY CTC: 02 62171177

DRAFTNo consultation, no requirement on the RPT to have ACAS, and issued with only two working days notice in draft form. An absolute travesty, and indicative of the dire straits that we are facing in GA in Australia today :sad:

A total breach of process and procedure by CASA :=

:mad: :*

tipsy2
11th Jan 2009, 07:40
Without going through pages of RAPAC meeting minutes, can anyone inform us if this matter has been discussed at RAPAC.

TEMPO RESTRICTED AREA and CLEARANCE TO ENTER AND OPERATE WITHIN THE AIRSPACE IS NOT REQUIRED

I must be getting old because I am having trouble getting my head around those 2 seemingly conflicting parts.:confused:

I have to agree with John, A total breach of process and procedure by CASA.

tipsy:ugh:

John Eacott
11th Jan 2009, 07:51
Tipsy,

No consultation whatsoever: the draft came out Thursday, giving two working days before implementation on Monday. Covering statement from CASA:

Temporary Restricted Area surrounding Avalon Airport

Last year CASA - Office of Airspace Regulation - conducted an Aeronautical Study of Avalon Airspace. Subsequently a determination was made that Air Traffic Control services as required for Class C airspace were appropriate to provide an acceptable level of safety for the Passenger Transport Services operating to and from Avalon.

As this service has not yet been possible to implement, CASA is applying available mitigations for the identified main risk of collision with local itinerant and transit traffic; namely to require transponder and radio carriage.

This will be accomplished by declaring a Temporary Restricted Area (coincident with the Avalon CTR and CTA) -with conditions for operating in the TRA being carriage and use of radio and transponder - and broadcast requirements applicable to CTAF<R> designated aerodromes.

No ATC clearance is required. No dispensation for lack of radio or transponder is available.
The form of the DRAFT NOTAM publishing the TRA follows:

How does carriage of a transponder feature as a safety mitigator?

Do we now have a CTAF-T? This is, remember, Class G airspace :rolleyes:

rmcdonal
11th Jan 2009, 08:45
Maybe they should just re-class it "E". Seems to have all the main points coverd, and I would imagine that the aircraft in the area would be broadcasting on the required freqs anyway?

Nautilus Blue
11th Jan 2009, 08:52
It's only a very short term condition. From TFN's keyboard'

a CA/GRS was also introduced at Avalon as a precursor to permanent tower services in March this year.

Of course that's March on planet Management, not earth standard time.

a determination was made that Air Traffic Control services as required for Class C airspace were appropriate to provide an acceptable level of safety for the Passenger Transport Services operating to and from Avalon.

As this service has not yet been possible to implement

I think this must be a world first, ATC service unavailable due staff shortage before its even begun!

And yes, a resticted area thats not controlled airspace and doesn't require a clearance to enter.:rolleyes: Presumeably self policing?

cogwheel
11th Jan 2009, 11:01
Whilst not condoning the proposal, restricted airspace does not always require a formal clearance (as per CTA), but by another name it does require approval to operate therein, be it by NOTAM, LOA etc. The proposed NOTAM does outline the approval conditions. Therefore I suggest that the discussion above re a "clearance" is not applicable.

Yes; Class E would have been a better and more appropriate option for the circumstances outlined. But then that would bring other issues to the surface which may well be more difficult to manage... (??)

There is not excuse for the lack of consultation and at the very least the Vic RAPAC should have been advised and a special meeting called.

Yes, GA is being pi$$ed on from all directions these days... sad!!

kookabat
11th Jan 2009, 11:14
Of course that's March on planet Management, not earth standard time.

It's still August, isn't it??:ugh:

David5326
11th Jan 2009, 11:45
Sounds like a danger area and CTAF (R) to me...

SGT Schulz
11th Jan 2009, 22:10
Avalon tower currently being re-furbished.
Was last on the project list for re-furb, but now being worked on. TFN is expected to announce the tower opening at the AV Airshow.

Spodman
12th Jan 2009, 00:06
Not sure this will achieve much. To comply with the broadcast requirements as instructed, if you are tracking over AV for Geelong you will have to switch to 119.0 and broadcast away on the CTAF at 10 NM GLG, where you will be only 2 NM south of the AV VOR... TRA - Half-assed, bandaid airspace. Pull your finger out CASA wankers, you have to be able to do better than that. OAR has had the ability to designate airspace for a year or so now, and doesn't appear to have done anything yet.

The same effect would be had by changing the control zone/areas to Class E airspace, presumably with a US-style base of 700 FT AGL. This also would require IFR-IFR separation and extra work for 135.7, and delays for operators I expect, if we are still waiting for a Tower on March 1st, (August 213th?). Not that I'm suggesting it shouldn't happen that way, just indicating the effect.

OpsControl
13th Jan 2009, 14:01
Hi all

My concern is fr filing as altn
Before this Notam, was YMAV a class C setup ?
If now a Class G, effectively there is no ATC fr YMAV
Anyone wanna comment ?
Understand frm this thread, that TWR is being upgraded

Any impact fr operators filing as ALTN

Tnks

OC

bentleg
13th Jan 2009, 19:22
It is exactly the same as was done at YWLM during the holiday shutdown.

How does carriage of a transponder feature as a safety mitigator?
Inbound RPT can see all other traffic on their TCAS