PDA

View Full Version : Etihad Cadet Pilot Training Assessment 2009

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Armaanie
10th Jan 2009, 21:56
Hi,
Call me Armaanie, I am looking for people who will be going to take etihad's cadet pilot assessment in 2009.

So far i have been to different forums and all people talk about is what everyone knows. I am interested to know about what and how to prepare?

Can we all come together and help each other out. Who know we will be sitting together as course mates :ok:

It will be a great help if someone who had been through the assessment can advise or even provide us with some hints.

Best Regards.

Armaanie.. x

student88
10th Jan 2009, 23:24
Hello and welcome to the forums.

As I'm sure you'll be aware there are a number of threads relating to the Etihad Cadet Pilot Scheme. May I suggest you use the websites search function to find out any information you need. You may not be aware that Etihad aren't too keen for people wishing to sit the assessments this year talking about past ways of testing. Apparently these forums are monitored by those who work at the airline so it's best to be a bit tactful about what you say.

It's common sense really, all I can suggest to you is that you revise your physics and maths knowledge very well. It might be worth while reading up on Etihad, it's history and they country it represents. I can't suggest how you're best preparing as different people have different learning styles.

Good Luck, S88:ok:

JamesTigris
9th Feb 2009, 11:46
What has happened to the thread on Etihad Assessments 2009? The above link is dead and it appears the thread has been deleted or removed.

What has happened? I'm at the London centre next week and was hoping to get the benefit of others experiences.

If anyone else is there and wants to meet for a slimline Tonic the night before lets pick a place/time.

Best of luck all.

-JT

Keygrip
9th Feb 2009, 12:41
What has happened to the thread on Etihad Assessments 2009?

I'm led to believe, from 'mod' internal mail, that a huge "oops factor" came into play whilst editing out all that idiotic "text speek" crap from certain posters.

Finger trouble hurt the thread - efforts are under way to have it repaired.

However, if you want to talk to each other about holding hands and sitting together at lunch on assessment day, I would suggest you start a facebook group rather than try to communicate here.

n 4 u txt spk guys - not n e more.:=

DenizD
9th Feb 2009, 20:48
Thats messed up what you guys did to the old thread! I blame Skhan11, and EYZ, and Malirm, and HDP, and all the other 'txt typers'. I hope you can live with yourselves!:}

rmoller
9th Feb 2009, 21:05
damn, and I was just going to start preparing on EYZ's link.... :bored:

HDP
10th Feb 2009, 12:12
DenizD:
I blame Skhan11, and EYZ, and Malirm, and HDP, and all the other 'txt typers'. I hope you can live with yourselves!

I hope you were being sarcastic. I've never written anything in so called 'text speak' :confused:

JamesTigris
10th Feb 2009, 15:54
Does anyone have any information on what the structure and contents of the day will be?

I've been to a few other assessment days for various airlines/cadet schemes and can imagine, but it would be good to get any specific Gen ahead of time.

DenizD
10th Feb 2009, 16:33
I hope you were being sarcastic. I've never written anything in so called 'text speak' http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

Well if you did the police are coming to get you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Gustavo_Nieto
10th Feb 2009, 19:52
I've been trying to follow the
etihad cadet pilot 2009 and the link is dead i still dont understand why they erased it..it was so useful !!

antes56
11th Feb 2009, 09:36
Hy everyone...i open this tread trying to get some news,update from the guys who passed the 2008 etihad cadet pilot...

Come on mates,let us know something from your experiences....:ok::ok::ok:

malirm
11th Feb 2009, 11:39
Greetings from London, I just arrived yesterday night...started preparing for it...I think 7 days are enough!!!

Good Luck for YOU ALL :ok:

alpha_lima_xray
11th Feb 2009, 12:05
Enjoy the weather! :} Im heading over to London on the 18th to write the exam the following day :cool:

punit
11th Feb 2009, 14:15
hi, guys what has happened, i am coming to the forum after 3 weeks and i find the 95 % of the threads for it and text are missing, so please some one explain it to me. and s88 your link that you have put in your text is not working. plz re insert it, and a last question when is your assesment.

JamesTigris
11th Feb 2009, 15:02
Good luck to all. I'll be in London on Tuesday night.

How will you be preparing for it? The most detail I have is "6 aptitude tests over 4 hours and no interview".

Other than the basic spatial awareness, mental arithmetic and hand-eye co-ordination, is there anything more specific to work on?

Tommy_uk
11th Feb 2009, 15:41
Will there be hand eye coordination tests? I was under the impression that all the tests were multi-choice exam questions covering logic, English, maths etc.

Im starting to think its ridiculous that all the first timers have simply no idea what to revise, what level of Maths will be involved, I just finished Uni but trust me all the crap from School and College is all hidden somewhere in my brain :ugh:

Also what is everyone going to be wearing to their assessment, surely a suit will make the best impression?

Jetdriver
11th Feb 2009, 15:53
Whilst removing a couple of the "textspeak" posts from this forum last week, I made a mistake in inadvertantly being taken back to the first post in the thread and accidentally deleting that initial post. In doing that, it removed the whole thread. Despite attempts to recover the thread it proved impossible and as a result the thread was lost. To that end, the loss was my fault.

Despite the error for which I take full reponsibility by having my PPRuNe salary stopped for the next 3 months! There was fortunetaly little in the thread that will deprive future generations from this particular fountain of knowledge. Most of the thread comprised a collective roll call of who was going to be where and when, what they should wear, and whether they should meet up for a drink the night before.

Please feel free to continue your discussion on this thread, and no doubt with the first assessment looming, there will be more substantial information and opinion to discuss. However please bear in mind that the removal of unintelligible babel including "textspeak" will continue to be policy, and that occaissional errors on our part will be substantially reduced by more careful apllication by those (few) offenders, who continue to make little effort on theirs.

(Gustavo & Punit, if you read post no 4 by Keygrip, you would have answered your own question.)

HDP
11th Feb 2009, 17:35
The 2008 thread is still there with lots of information... ;)

http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/321601-etihad-cadet-pilot-programme.html

mark1984
11th Feb 2009, 21:24
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question regarding the Etihad Cadet Pilot scheme. I am attending stage one next week on the 18th at 9am and was wondering what people are taking, such as are you taking your CV and proof of qualifications?

In my email from Etihad it only states to bring my passport, but makes no mention to bring anything else.

Just a bit paranoid about not taking the correct bits.

Many thanks and good luck to everyone attending.

Mark

captain_overspeed
12th Feb 2009, 04:03
Mark1984:

take nothing. there is no need. Just bring comfortable clothes (jogging suit and sweats) to wear during the test. Everything else you'll need will be provided.

According to a friend of mine that attended last year.

alpha_lima_xray
12th Feb 2009, 16:02
Hey everyone!

Anyone know how long it takes? I.E if you're suppose to be there by 1400, what time will you be done?
Just trying to arrange transportation and whatnot.. :sad:

OOPS! sorry lads, just read the email again and saw "The assessment will last approximately 4 hours and will consist of 6 Aptitude Tests"

My bad :ugh::ugh:

DenizD
12th Feb 2009, 16:59
jogging suit and sweats

I second that

PA28R
12th Feb 2009, 17:55
anyone going to newyork for assesment?? wouldbe good to chat before the assesment day

Tommy_uk
12th Feb 2009, 19:28
Just bring comfortable clothes (jogging suit and sweats) to wear during the test

I'm sure that makes a wonderful impression :oh:

DenizD
13th Feb 2009, 00:15
The last guy who showed up with that advice in London looked like this:

http://thebestsportsblog.com/images/alig.jpg

He made it to Stage 2

mark1984
13th Feb 2009, 06:23
captain_overspeed I guess your friend is still waiting for that all important call back... I can't think why he hasn't heard...!

alpha_lima_xray
13th Feb 2009, 11:13
Anyone know how long drive it is from the hotel at witch the assessments are at to heathrow takes?

Alexz1988
13th Feb 2009, 15:59
According to google map it would take around 17 min by car to cover the 9.4 miles to the airport.

It`s been a while since i`ve last checked my account here and I was wondering If anybody set up a place and a time to meet up with others that have been invited to be part of the sittings on the 17`th at London.

I`d appreciate it if I could be part of such a group.

Cheers to all Alex :ok:

tobifly
13th Feb 2009, 22:45
Anyone going to Frankfurt for assesment on March 24??

galley_operator
14th Feb 2009, 06:18
hello ...may i ask you guys some question if i don't have physics on my education level . and do you think they will take me cause i don want to wasting my time and money going to frankfurt and they reject me because of the physics subject..

please give me some tips...thanks a lot

malirm
14th Feb 2009, 12:39
Hi guys,

I've been recently receiving PMs about meeting up before the exams...:), some are 2 months old & others are recent. So I made a list of people who wana meet...& are:

Jason2000 ---18th Morning
Jumbo744 ---18th
Biglad2810 ---17th -----Don't ask him any Qs when we meet :=
PPiilloott ---18th
Larrio ---18th
Mike Whiskey Romeo ---18th
J Shindi ---18th
+ me (Malirm) ---18th

so, I still don't have any plans except that J Shindi & I will be in the Hotel on Tue (17th) morning, as soon as I get some info about the Hotel Lobby & what's around...I'll make a plan & post it...every PPRuNer is invited...& PPRuNers' Friends too.

See You Soon People...Goodluck for us :ok:

Jumbo744
14th Feb 2009, 12:48
Good Idea Malirm !
I'll contact you by phone on the 17th in the afternoon :ok:

Alexz1988
14th Feb 2009, 16:21
Hey malirm....

Your ideea is good only that it implies the people who have the interview on the 18`th so what i`m really interested is in somebody who`s doing some plans about the guys who are having it on the 17`th ;)

I`m not from around england so I`m asking people that are from around there or know their way around, cuz maybe we can hook up the day before(16`th) or maye even after the assessment.

Cheers to all , Alex :ok:

malirm
15th Feb 2009, 09:13
Even if your exam was on the 10th & the others is on the 23rd...you can join us...I will be there 20 hours before my exam (invitation in Open)...the best thing someone can do is STOP preparing at this time (at least 12 hours before the exam) ---Have Fun then Sleep Well---

Thats what I recommend for me & my Friends...:ok:

Am I Right???...Cheers

bob89
15th Feb 2009, 12:56
here's the plan:
We meet at the mercure hotel ' reception at 6.30 pm on the 16th. Everybody is welcome: the more the merrier:ok: ( I will bring a girl for those who are reluctant!). Then we meet Biglad2810 at 7.30 at The King and Castle pub . Regarding these comments I won't eat there!! King and Castle, Windsor, Berkshire, SL4 1PL - pub details # beerintheevening.com (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/67/6749/King_and_Castle/Windsor)
The best preparation is still a good night of sleep:ok:
So I propose to have dinner all together in an other place!
Hope it's convenient for everybody
See ya on monday

Alexz1988
15th Feb 2009, 15:22
Hey bob89,

Sure the plan sounds good enough....i`ll bring my girlfriend also and we`ll go where ever you guys want. Not really from the UK so i don`t really care where we go as long as it is decent enough.

18:30 at the front desk then :ok:

Best of Luck to all

City or Jet
15th Feb 2009, 15:32
I'm there on the 17th. Not done a great deal of prep so fingers crossed! Good luck to everyone!

malirm
15th Feb 2009, 21:03
Thanks Bob for the plan...now we have a plan on the 16th (Tomorrow) for the 1st group of PPRuNers...I'll be around there, but don't know what time, I might move in the morning to find out how to reach there & how much time it takes me from my place...so, I might pass-by if you Don't mind.

Hope you have fun...Tomorrow I'll post my plan :ok: for Group 2

Good Luck :)

Gustavo_Nieto
15th Feb 2009, 22:13
Just to wish good luck to everyone taking the tests in London !! Enjoy

antes56
16th Feb 2009, 10:51
For the guys who is going to take the 1st assessment in london....I wish you good luck!!:ok:

amhur
16th Feb 2009, 11:25
any1 there who can help on with tht apptitude test??

PA28R
16th Feb 2009, 12:24
good luck folks for assesment, and please do fill us in how it went, and what to expect for future assesment takers like myself :p.

Ste88
16th Feb 2009, 13:34
Hi!I'll be at Francoforte at 24March to do the first assessment.I'd like to know what type of aptitude test i'll have to do.And, if is possible, some how could i train me?I have found online the skill assessment of quantas...i'dont know if it was good!!bye bye!Good luck @ All!!

malirm
16th Feb 2009, 21:13
Hi Folks...I was really busy today & couln't get the plan done (had to go to Manchester & come back in the same day) :ugh:, so, I'll be posting it tomorrow Just before 3 30 pm...:(

Good Luck to all candidates for tomorrow, after & after Tomorrow

AirAlgerie
16th Feb 2009, 22:20
hi everyone ,
i wish everyone a good luck with the assessment , please let us know how you did and what you did , mine is on march 24th in frankfurt , the only problem is that i am over 26 (28right now ) and i dont know if i will be considered or not

Miari
17th Feb 2009, 00:01
Hi everyone

I´d like to wish good luck to everyone taking the assessment day in London. After that, please let us know how it was and what kind of aptitude test you went through.

Anyone attending in Johanesburg?

Good louck to you all!!:ok:

airbandit
17th Feb 2009, 11:51
Yes! I was assigned for NewYork, but managed to get place in Frankfurt the 24th of March :ok:
Good luck everyone and those who are attending in Frankfurt pm :)

flytipper
17th Feb 2009, 15:19
Are the tests in the Mercure Hotel Conference room?

airbus_adarsh
17th Feb 2009, 16:57
All the very best to the guys heading for the london assessment !!!

flytipper
17th Feb 2009, 17:10
good luck for the tests guys.
anyone know about parking at the hotel?

alpha_lima_xray
17th Feb 2009, 18:31
Hey guys,
Just wondering what is the easiest or cheapest way to get to the Mercure Castle Hotel Windsor from Heathrow?
Or How much would a cab cost? :uhoh:

adsSW
17th Feb 2009, 20:59
Alpha Lima Xray, rail links aren't too great from LHR to Windsor, none that go direct anyway.

It may not be the cheapest method but a taxi would be the quickest and easiest way of doing it, you are probably looking at £40 return. One thing to note, there is a big problem with taxi touts at Heathrow, driving with no license and no insurance, they normally wait at the arrivals hall and offer very low prices. If you take a cab make sure it is the normal London black cab.

APWB
17th Feb 2009, 21:31
Hello,

Good luck to everyone who attended the assessment(s).

Etihad is really a brilliant Airline to work for. They are rapidly expanding and was told they getting some new planes very soon.

Chances are I won't get through however it was an experience not to be missed.
Never been to one of those assessments before and as the Etihad staff mentioned its the experience that counts and maybe if you go for general interviews this day may help you a lot to prepare for it.

Besides you will meet a lot of people who share/ have the same interests as you. So its not a waste of time!

Anyway those who have already attended it would be nice if you keep us updated with your progress.

Good Luck!

alpha_lima_xray
17th Feb 2009, 22:22
adsSW.. thanks for the heads up!

Perscitus
18th Feb 2009, 02:46
alpha_lima_xray,

Don't pay a taxi too expensive. Heathrow has connections to the Piccadilly Line so the underground connections are good.

Do this call up London Travel Information on 0207 222 1234 they would give you the easiest route and the cost to get to Windsor (make sure to tell them u don't have an oyster card) . Or go to English - Journey Planner - Transport for London (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/journeyplanner). Theres a train that goes from Vauxhall all the way to Windsor & Eton. You could get on somewhere in between.

And all this should cost you around £10 return, depending on where you are. And you can give me the remaining £30 if you want :p

Good luck for the exam.

(I'm going too.)

Leading Edge 7e7
18th Feb 2009, 04:06
APWB

Etihad is really a brilliant Airline to work for. They are rapidly expanding and was told they getting some new planes very soon.

infact the aircraft is joining the fleet every month my friend and the fleet size would be around 150 very soon take a look on the website for the amount of Airbuses and Boeings purchased.
Atleast thats what i have seen for the time i have been here.

Good luck to all with the tests
and congrates to selected ones.

cavak
18th Feb 2009, 08:15
Hello,
experiences anyone?

ap_797
18th Feb 2009, 09:22
we were told specifically not to mention anything about the tests so please can people not ask. It also detriments the competition amongst us all. Those still waiting will find out whats it's like when you go yourselves.

Its a cool experience though!

cavak
18th Feb 2009, 10:23
ohh, rgr can be understood

edit: I did not mean revealing any kind of special info about the tests themselves, I was rather interested in your last sentence. :) It is just I always write something sooner than forming the sentences properly, expressign myself correctly.

dirk85
18th Feb 2009, 10:43
I won't ask you anything about the tests, I can see your point.
But about the assessment process... have you been told when European people can eventually expect the second stage in Abu Dhabi?
And when will they notify you of the results of this first part?

Greetings

F/O UFO
18th Feb 2009, 14:15
They said we would get a 'No' or 'mabye' next week. Mabye as they have other assesments to carry out in other places.

I think they said that stage 2 would be in april, with the next course starting in june.

RB84
18th Feb 2009, 14:28
I just go a question. They only say to get passport with you. Is that the only thing that you need to get, no need for any certificates or anything and it also says that the test takes 4 hours does it really take that long or breaks included

totomechanic
18th Feb 2009, 15:12
I just got back from the ETIHAD ASSESSMENT!!!!

However, if I give you guys details about the test, I would be doing a great injustice to myself/other candidates, and the whole assessment process. I know that the best advice I can give you is to relax, dont rush, and have fun. That said, Good Luck to everybody who was there today and those who plan to take the test later in the year.

TTmech:ok:

okees
18th Feb 2009, 15:13
So it seems that the people who attended the assessments in Europe will likely be enrolled in the June, while the rest of the world who have assessments in July and August will most likely start early next year. This is what I understood from what's written in this forum. Do I understand correctly?

Good luck to the people who already did the assessment, hopefully you will not be disappointed.

Okees

malirm
18th Feb 2009, 17:21
Just came back home from the assessments, it was really a COOL experience, thanks to the captains & to the other staff people...they gave us alots of confidence before the exam & after it...:ok:

as for the questions...don't worry, anybody can answer 90% of them easily, it's all about time & how fast you go. As for me, I was satisfied (neither Happy nor Sad), I've done what I have to do. Can't say anything more until next week.

Good Luck for all of you people, truely you'll be lucky to be one of EYs staff :).

Sorry for not arranging the time to meet up...It took me a long time to find the Hotel & I had no internet connection till late 18th, but met alots of PPRuNers, J Shendi & Jumbo 744 are the ones I remember. ood Luck again :ok:

wnjmurphy
18th Feb 2009, 18:29
If anyone is staying in London AFTER tomorrow's testing...and reads this, give me a shout.

I'm staying in Kensington, but some post-testing social meet would be good!

Tommy_uk
18th Feb 2009, 19:01
I have to agree with Malrim I felt satisfied but didn't get the feeling of 'aceing' all of the tests.

Did everyone finish every question of every test, some of the tests you really had to work your way quickly that's all I can say.

ap_797
18th Feb 2009, 19:07
Barnesy2006 you'll find out when u get there.... we were told NOT to say anything about the format or content... you'll get the same speech when you attend!
good luck!

student88
18th Feb 2009, 19:42
General summary of todays assessment

Enjoyed the assessment today (0900 18/02/09), can't believe some people paid £140 for B&B when I paid £35 for a hotel 1 minute walk away!
The guys running the show did a great job at showing what a real down to earth airline Etihad are.
Can't believe after numerous warnings, people's mobiles still went off!
Would love to know why L273 was asked to stay behind.
Amazing toilet facilities, handwash AND moisturiser!
I would have taken a watch.
Why do people think it's ok to turn up in tracksuits/sweats? I wouldn't even turn up for a interview with McDonalds in a sweatshirt let alone one for a job as an airline pilot with a major airline.Just my observations..

sensible2k4
18th Feb 2009, 20:11
just back from tests today!
my lips are most certainly sealed.

was a great day :ok:

good luck to everyone!

malirm
18th Feb 2009, 20:15
hi, I was there too (0900 to 01 00pm), I was the first one in the front to the left (Near the Windows), setting beside J_Shendi...how did u honestly do??

airthreetwenty
18th Feb 2009, 20:47
student88 - what do you mean by L273? Is that one of the applicants? Where you seated at random or you are given specific seat numbers?

dirk85
18th Feb 2009, 20:54
They said we would get a 'No' or 'mabye' next week. Mabye as they have other assesments to carry out in other places.

I think they said that stage 2 would be in april, with the next course starting in june.

2nd assessment in April? So I guess they will form a class out of London\Frankfurt people... that sounds good.

student88
18th Feb 2009, 20:55
I can't say I remember seeing you malirm - like many I think I did o.k. Not 100% but not terrible. Saying that, with these things you never know how you did until the big day. The latter 4 tests are very hard to prep for and generally show what your true aptitude is.

@aurthreetwenty

..basically, I crapped my pants when the host said "would L278 stay behind" . Everyone is given a sticker with a letter and 3 numbers on instead of a name badge.

I had to laugh when I was going to the toilet - seeing a guy who must have been on the afternoon assessment on the computer using the internet to check pprune! Some people have no tact.

PA28R
18th Feb 2009, 23:37
good job, everyone who came from assesments...hope everyone gets through, as for me i am due in august for assesments in newyork, any advise :ugh:

Leading Edge 7e7
18th Feb 2009, 23:57
Dear malirm what did you mean by 90% ?? what about the rest 10% was it the level of difficulty or just not enough time to go through questions??

Class is most definitely going to be London + Frankfurt and by the standards i dont think it is going to be any more than 12 guys.

Hay lets hope for the best.

Good luck to all.

flying high2009
19th Feb 2009, 05:14
Class is most definitely going to be London + Frankfurt and by the standards i dont think it is going to be any more than 12 guys.

I didnt understand this statement....care to elobrate this?so Malirim u say it easy?....cool..me looking forward fr it...best of luck to u mate....
cheers:ok:

blackbird93
19th Feb 2009, 08:11
To those who attented the london assessment I got a ques for you guys,
how was the turn up rate of the candidates like? was it full house? :ok:

GeorgEGNT
19th Feb 2009, 08:33
On the train now, just left Grantham. Getting very excited now, some good reviews of the day overall. London here I come! Will report back with how I found it, although from what I've seen, test content is understandibly top secret! Good luck to everyone who has been/ is being tested in London.

Mike Whiskey Romeo
19th Feb 2009, 09:45
Well I thought it was certainly interesting, fingers crossed now.

Who was I talking to yesterday? I was the Irish guy in the purple shirt at 2:00pm

Best of luck to everyone taday

malirm
19th Feb 2009, 11:09
I think the exam was really easy, but 10% of the questions were LONG, where I had no time to answer them accurately (most probable to get wrong), so...I don't know If I did way better than others or just fine or even satisfactory, what I know is that I answered all the questions as accurately as I can... you'll get a relaxing feeling after you do the test & go back home to sleep. :zzz:

I can't really express my feeling about the exam or after the exam except that it is neither negative nor positive, Good Luck for you people...can't wait till next week. :)

dirk85
19th Feb 2009, 11:12
Congratulations to all London guys!

Any other news about the next stages dates and the assessment process?

antes56
19th Feb 2009, 12:10
congratulations to all!!...

yes,what about the answers from etihad??and for the 2nd assesment date?

Lew747
19th Feb 2009, 13:53
Had mine yesterday (18th) at 14:00. Mixed feelings! I know for a fact I didn't ace it, but then i've got just as good a chance as anyone else. When they told us about what you would be recieving when you start the course, the allowances etc, it just made you want it even more!

Nice to see Etihad Splashing out :}...

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6461/etihadpilotprogrammelolyb3.th.jpg (http://img15.imageshack.us/my.php?image=etihadpilotprogrammelolyb3.jpg)

Ani15
19th Feb 2009, 14:22
hey Lew747,
was the test objective or subjective? how many guys turn up for the tests approxmately? hope u get thru...for the 2nd stage
cheers:ok:

Lew747
19th Feb 2009, 14:39
Objective or Subjective?......I'd say....just plain hard!! :ugh:

I feel like I shouldn't give anything out, one of the Captains did say "feel free to post up all the info on PPRuNe", but then they would simply pull the plug on the cadet programme and I think I would be very disliked if I was to do such a thing :E

Apparently there are some 4000 places that are sent out, with the turn out rate being something like 50% which surprised me! However, yesterday there seemed to be a pretty much full house!

I honestly doubt i'll get through to the second stage, if I did I would be running around the block with my shirt off.

student88
19th Feb 2009, 16:26
I'm finding the amount of people messaging me, asking me to give them info quite funny.

Quite tempted to give them false information but I think I'll play nice and just say no.

S88:ok:

ppiilloott
19th Feb 2009, 16:54
I was quite surprised by the choice of music, far more laid back than any other assessment I have ever been to. I can't believe so many people don't turn up.

student88
19th Feb 2009, 16:58
I must admit, I do now want to buy the Kings of Leon album. It's awesome.

ppiilloott
19th Feb 2009, 17:05
We must have been on different assessments, The 18th 2pm guys had snoop dogg, Akon, and Bob Marley.

Oh and quote of the day:

Jamaican training captain talking about the UAE summer:

Now I am Jamaican, and I don't mind the heat, but it is brrrrrrrrutal.

It was an amazing day out. I know it is too late now to get in on one of these assessments this year, but the people that aren't going to turn up, it is definitely worth the effort to go. :ok::ok:

airthreetwenty
19th Feb 2009, 17:14
They play music during the assesment???

student88
19th Feb 2009, 17:29
Yes, seriously loud - apparently the detractions separate the wheat from the chaff.

Just kidding, the play music whilst you're waiting for everyone to turn up. Assessment is silent, apart from the odd mobile phone, burp or f..

airbandit
19th Feb 2009, 17:33
Snoop dogg? Sweet :ok: Can't wait till Frankfurt... Is it true that the training will take place in Australia? :rolleyes:

ppiilloott
19th Feb 2009, 18:34
Errrrm NO!

You are about 7435 miles out.

I think you need to do some research before you go to the assessment, (If you are indeed going?!?).

:)

wnjmurphy
19th Feb 2009, 18:57
Thanks to all involved in running the day! My brains fried and the trip back from Windsor this evening just as far as Kensington (onto the North West tomorrow) was a bit hectic, but my beer is cold and the hotel room is comfortable, a sense of achievement has been er, achieved.

Not saying anymore, as it's clear I'd be daft to. :}

glider12000
19th Feb 2009, 20:09
I attended today and good luck to everyone. Thanks to Jason, Brendan and everyone else for the time and effort you have put into running the programme.

GeorgEGNT
19th Feb 2009, 20:45
Just on my way back from the assessment, I've had a really good day. The guys running it were really funny and put everyone at ease.

The tests were OK, there was one I really struggled on, but even if I open my email next week and see the 'no' email, I'm still one experience up on all of those noobs who didnt turn up (denying other people a chance) and have a foundation to build on should the programme still be running next year.

Really enjoyed the whole experience. Couldnt believe some of the people turning up in jeans etc mind. After they way Etihad treat you if you're successful, they're at least worth a shirt and tie!

haha Lew747, that sign was quality. First thing you see when you arrive, really sets the tone :}

aimskyhigh88
19th Feb 2009, 21:27
hey guys! hope you all went well!

ATCNoob
19th Feb 2009, 23:17
Hi all,

I had the assessment today. Just a message from the guys running the assessments (paraphrased by the way): "For those who didn't bother turning up (250 out of 600), don't bother trying again as we don't want you. You just wasted another 250 people's chances of attempting it for themselves.". They weren't happy about it. However it does mean that there is a better chance for us that have done the tests as the pool of candidates is now smaller.

I don't know how I feel about the tests. All but one I think I did well in. We'll just have to see. Please don't PM me asking for questions or types of questions as we are all in the same boat going into it.

I found the Jamaican guy very funny! So was Matt actually! Very nice bunch of guys; hopefully will get to work alongside them in the future.

Good luck to everyone...

A340x
20th Feb 2009, 02:11
Hey does anyone know if I would be disqualified if i wear corrective lenses correctable to 20/20?
Thank you

Iver
20th Feb 2009, 02:37
How many pilot trainees are expected to be hired? Are there rolling classes? Are all successful trainees placed on the A320/319 as First Officers or placed on bigger airplanes like the A330/340 or 777s as Second Officers?

DenizD
20th Feb 2009, 04:15
"For those who didn't bother turning up (250 out of 600), don't bother trying again as we don't want you. You just wasted another 250 people's chances of attempting it for themselves.". They weren't happy about it. However it does mean that there is a better chance for us that have done the tests as the pool of candidates is now smaller.That's a ridiculous statement to make! Especially coming from those who run the assessments! They do not know the circumstances surrounding those applicants decisions or actions! Those 250 people did not waste anyone's chances. If there were those who didn't make it through to this stage it is purely because they weren't quick in sending in a application or reapplying! And that boils down to how bad you want it and how often you checked up on the cadet program. That takes balls to say something like that, here in the states, it's called the "macho" attitude that will get you nowhere. They probably don't have that section on the JAA written tests. Maybe if they did some screening it wouldn't have been such a problem. But then again they do know what they are doing. The irony is that these are guys who have not taken the test themselves and yet they 'know what they want'!

I like how they said "attempting it", did they bother to mention the likeliness of passing? All in all it is better for those who were present, there's less competition! The ignorance!

Leading Edge 7e7
20th Feb 2009, 05:37
250 not turning up does not put you in any better situation even if it meant the smaller pool, in the end of the day it comes down to your performance in the actual test , having said that it is sad because of these people i didnt get a place at London assessment as i was told its full and had to book a place for Frankfurt.

malirm:

you saying you attempted 90% and lets pray you get 90/90 in all the six tests.
do lets us know..
Hope everyone can make it for Frankfurt, i will for sure as long as im still breathing, looking forward to that its a good feeling competinig against all you Aces outhere.

Very best wishes to all .

GBB
20th Feb 2009, 06:11
Deniz...
Sorry mate but you must be nuts!
Go and say the same thing to 250 people that got an e-mail - "sorry but we are full, try another time". See how they gonna feel about it.
And they do have a right to say that as if you will be selected they gonna give you everything.
Try getting into cadet program in US, hehehe. or even get a flying job on 320!
GL to you, maybe once u get about 3000 TT with 1000 multi.

Rj111
20th Feb 2009, 08:53
Hi guys. I'm going to the Frankfurt assessment on the 24th so if any of you are going feel free to drop me a PM for whatever reason (meet up etc).

And yes i wanted London, in fact, where was the test centre? - I live about half a mile from centre point, so i could have probably walked there.

Must have been frustrating for Etihad having 250 non-starters, though that would always be likely given it was relatively easy to apply for and you put down no commitment yourself. I guess in a way you can see the justification for integrated courses etc charging for assessment.

Anyway i can't wait to go, i just hope i have the skills that they are looking for.

If there were those who didn't make it through to this stage it is purely because they weren't quick in sending in a application or reapplying! And that boils down to how bad you want it and how often you checked up on the cadet program.

The ones who applies early to get a place, but didn't turn up, obviously didn't want it that bad did they?

student88
20th Feb 2009, 09:14
A340X – if you’re capable of getting a Class 1 Medical you should be o.k. AFAIK, correctable to 20/20is fine.

Iver – Etihad are recruiting with the intention of cadets going on to the A320 series, no airline will ever put low hours cadets onto a wide body. From what I was told, after 5 years you’ll be trained for the A330/A340. Bear in mind that you’ll still be flying the A320 too. You’re a second officer until you’ve completed all your line training and signed off on the Airbus – then they give you 3 stripes. I heard 70 as a figure for the number of cadets needed this year. I don’t know if they’re all coming from the London and Frankfurt assessments. Bear in mind that stage two will be mid April and the first training course due to start in June/July.

I’d say that the majority of people who didn’t turn up couldn’t be bothered. Of course there are going to be some that couldn’t make it with legitimate reasons. I doubt that the guys passed on a message to be posted on pprune but then again I wasn’t at the Thursday assessment so I wouldn’t know.

Etihad are not going to fill the spaces on the course just for the sake of it. If they have 70 spaces and only 50 suitable cadets then that’s all they’ll take. IMO, the lesser number of applicants will increase your chances of getting to stage two but won’t increase your chances of getting the job. Unfortunately there will be some guys who won’t get to stage two who will make fantastic pilots, just victims of the assessment process. Someone might have an amazing ability to ace all the tests first time, but will be a total ass that won’t pass the interview stage (someone you WONT want to be sat with in the flight deck for 8 hours, let alone share a beer with). He would have sat higher up in the league tables when it comes to selecting who’s going through to round two and will therefore knock out someone below him.

There is no doubt about it, for every person who didn’t turn up, another could have attended who could be exactly what Etihad are looking for. Maybe a waiting list should have been created, then if people knew they were not going to show, Etihad could have taken the next in line instead.

DenizD
20th Feb 2009, 09:39
250 not turning up does not put you in any better situation even if it meant the smaller pool, in the end of the day it comes down to your performance in the actual test

Oh yes it does, the less people, the more chances you have.

it is sad because of these people i didnt get a place at London assessment as i was told its full and had to book a place for Frankfurt.

It's not really sad as much as it is inconvenient, you're still taking the test though....

"sorry but we are full, try another time". See how they gonna feel about it.
And they do have a right to say that as if you will be selected they gonna give you everything.

I'll say it again it all depended on how soon you responded to the 'call'. I'm not saying if they have a right to say something or not, I'm saying they should think before they speak and be a little less hypocritical.

The ones who applies early to get a place, but didn't turn up, obviously didn't want it that bad did they?

Unfortunately, that's the way it is first come first served. They just happened to be faster.

Rj111
20th Feb 2009, 09:56
Provided you are at or above EY's baseline standard, then of course less people turning up helps you. If there are 200 people above this level, but EY are only taking on 100, and you are ranked the 150th 'best', then you will not be making it. If half the people turn up you can crudely say there will be only 100 people above the standard and that you will be ranked 75, you will then be in the 100 EY will be taking on.

That said, to be above EY's standard you can bet you'll have to be motivated and have great determinations. Something that those that didn't turn up might not have.

ppiilloott
20th Feb 2009, 10:14
They are offering 70 places or so throughout the year. That includes each assessment country as well as the UAE nationals.

They are going to invite 50 or so for interviews and further tests mid April from the London and Frankfurt batch of applicants.

Applicants from the other assessments that get through to round 2 go for their further tests and interviews later in the year, (September time I think).

They did say if you have commitments in April and you are lucky enough to be selected for stage 2 then you can defer till the later one in September, (If that is when it is ?!?)

Good Luck Guys and Girls. :ok:

antes56
20th Feb 2009, 10:21
I am going to FRA assesment on the 23rd....

ATCNoob
20th Feb 2009, 11:02
That's a ridiculous statement to make! Especially coming from those who run the assessments! They do not know the circumstances surrounding those applicants decisions or actions! Those 250 people did not waste anyone's chances. If there were those who didn't make it through to this stage it is purely because they weren't quick in sending in a application or reapplying!

Do I detect sour grapes DenizD? I have read some of your previous posts and you aren't exactly pro Etihad! Of course it isn't a rediculous statement to make...Do you know how much it costs Etihad to go around the world recruiting people? Then have 250 just not turn up. If these people DID have a valid reason for not showing up they certainly didn't have the decency to email Etihad saying so. THAT is what their problem was. They did say that there probably are valid reasons for some of them not showing, but they didn't let them know. And how can you say it didn't wasted anyone's chances? Do you know how many people wanted it badly! Get real - I would say most of the guys couldn't be bothered to leave their home in order to pitch up for the assessment. 250 people ALL having valid reasons as to why they didn't show is very unrealistic!

And that boils down to how bad you want it and how often you checked up on the cadet program.

You could say exactly the same about the guys that didn't pitch up and that had 'valid' reasons for not showing...come on!

That takes balls to say something like that, here in the states, it's called the "macho" attitude that will get you nowhere.

I (and I think everyone who atteded the same session as I did!), was glad they said it. I was shocked! There is no 'macho' attitude in saying that. They are pissed off about it and understandably. Those 250 people potentially prevented extremely capable candidates from being successful and eventually working for Etihad. Do you not see it? How is that statement 'macho' anyways?

They probably don't have that section on the JAA written tests. Maybe if they did some screening it wouldn't have been such a problem. But then again they do know what they are doing. The irony is that these are guys who have not taken the test themselves and yet they 'know what they want'!

They did screening last year and it was an administrative nightmare, not to mention the screening process may automatically eliminate someone highly capable. This way is fair. It isn't ironic either because these guy have taken the tests before. These types of tests are standard for recruiting cadets across the industry.

I like how they said "attempting it", did they bother to mention the likeliness of passing? All in all it is better for those who were present, there's less competition! The ignorance!

Yes, they did mention the likeliness of passing, on several occasions but if I had to paraphrase everything they said here on PPrune then I would need an entire thread for myself. At the same time 'the likeliness of passing' doesn't account for the other people who couldn't be there because it was 'full' who could have passed! Now who's ignorant?

ATCNoob
20th Feb 2009, 11:08
Leading Edge:

250 not turning up does not put you in any better situation even if it meant the smaller pool, in the end of the day it comes down to your performance in the actual test , having said that it is sad because of these people i didnt get a place at London assessment as i was told its full and had to book a place for Frankfurt.

Of course it puts people in a better situation. Say the same thing happens in Frankfurt. So say only 300 show up there. They entire pool of candidates are now made up of 650 people. The are selecting, potentially, 70 people from this pool. That is over 1 in 10 people getting through, in otherwords there is a 12% chance of getting through. This of course is assuming that everyone has the potential of making the final grade, which is not the case so your potential is even higher. Say that everyone turned up; then you have 70 in 1000 chance of going through which is only a 7% chance. Whilst it does come down to your performance, the less people there, the less chance there will be someone to perform that little bit better than you to knock you off your stool....

malirm
20th Feb 2009, 11:27
Lets hope I get what is needs to pass Stage 1... you don't know what goes on when checking the papers!!!, I answered all questions, but a kinda made sure of getting almost 5/6 of them right, maybe I'm wrong :ugh:next week is the results week ... Best Wishes from my side & hope to hear some good news about you people :ok:. BTW, any news about L273???, I'm sure it wasn't me (I'm L323)...:)

GOOD LUCK to FRA guys

dirk85
20th Feb 2009, 11:28
I agree with ATCNoob.

They even stated that in the email:

Should you be UNABLE to attend the assessment please be kind enough to send us an email.

Anyway, considering 2 days for London, each with two sessions, I assume there have been far more than 600 people attending the tests...

student88
20th Feb 2009, 11:39
I doubt anyone here knows what EYs selection criteria is. They could either bring the top 50 from Frankfurt/London or only people who scored 90% and above. For example, those who scored 90% and above could only amount to some 40 people.

At this time all this speculation is pretty pointless.

As for L273, I heard from him. Nothing serious, just some administrative issues :ok:

Shauna
20th Feb 2009, 11:40
I am so annoyed i missed this....i have been away alot with work and have been putting in alot of hours at home so i didn't hear about this sponsorship until last week.

Does anyone know if they will be recruiting for this again? i tried to read the whole thread but my eyes are stinging so sorry if it was said already and i missed it.

SAS-A321
20th Feb 2009, 11:40
Etihad Airways is a professional company and when they invite candidates to an assessment, they expect the candidates to behave professionally. Therefore they do not want to waste time on people showing up not wearing a suit and on people who prevent possible candidates from participating.

StandardToaster
20th Feb 2009, 12:05
"no airline will ever put low hours cadets onto a wide body"

:=

student88
20th Feb 2009, 12:43
I assume from that emoticon you disagree with my comment. It would be nice if you were to expand, mind reader I am not.

Can you really see someone with 250hrs going straight into a 777 or A330/340?

You will usually need at least a year or more before you move onto the A330 from an A320. I'm not saying it hasn't happened before, just these days you'll need experience before moving onto the heavier aircraft.

Perhaps I should rephrase my comment, "the majority of airlines will not put low hour cadets (250hrs ish) straight onto a wide body".

GBB
20th Feb 2009, 12:48
Deniz..
How old are you? 15!?!?
Get real! As somebody said before they pay alot of money to organize such a "gig"! And no.. its not walk-in deal, they invite you and expect that you SHOW UP.
I dont know whats up with you and your post, but whenever you write anything about EY cadet program it has to be NEGATIVE.
Why dont you just stop posting (since u seem "NOT interested" in EY cadet program), or you have nothing better to do?
I dont know... maybe you been rejected by them or something.
Since you dont like their "macho" ways you should look for something better back in the States.
Im sure every single Airline there have such a great DEAL...

dirk85
20th Feb 2009, 12:50
I think he was referring to CX, SIA and maybe other airlines with cadetship programs that allow young and unexperienced people to start in a wb...

Rj111
20th Feb 2009, 13:08
I believe CX have had some kind of scheme in the near past and they have no choice but to put you on a widebody. Same with SQ.

If you have the aptitude to fly an A320. You have the aptitude to fly an A380. It's just logical to put the n00bs on the smaller, cheaper ones with less people on board.

Besides, the A32S is a fine aircraft.

GeorgEGNT
20th Feb 2009, 13:10
That's a ridiculous statement to make! Especially coming from those who run the assessments! They do not know the circumstances surrounding those applicants decisions or actions! Those 250 people did not waste anyone's chances. If there were those who didn't make it through to this stage it is purely because they weren't quick in sending in a application or reapplying! And that boils down to how bad you want it and how often you checked up on the cadet program.

What a load of rubbish. I realise there are several people who would of had genuine difficult circumstances, I spoke to a gentleman who had had his visa delayed for example. However, a quick email to Etihad explaining the circumstances, thats fine.

I still think the majority just couldnt be arsed to turn up on the day thus denying someone that chance. In fact, if someone hadnt of been decent enough to email them saying they couldnt go, I wouldnt of got my chance.

They seemed very annoyed with the people who didnt turn up and rightly so. The 3 guys and the assisting staff had clearly put a lot of hard work and personal time in to ensure this programme is a success. I think its the highest level of disrespect to Etihad Airways AND to the guys themselves to just not show up when they've invited you there.

Good luck to those who did show up and were tested, and good luck to future candidates over in FRA.

Leading Edge 7e7
20th Feb 2009, 13:34
malirm:

Good luck mate even 5/6 is not too bad,
there have been cases where 5/6 were considered
i thought you might like to know.:ok:

ATCNoob
20th Feb 2009, 13:44
I am so annoyed i missed this....i have been away alot with work and have been putting in alot of hours at home so i didn't hear about this sponsorship until last week.

Does anyone know if they will be recruiting for this again? i tried to read the whole thread but my eyes are stinging so sorry if it was said already and i missed it.

I believe, and someone correct me if I am wrong, that they will not be in the UK again this year. If the programme is still running next year then I am sure they will come back again. That said, with the poor turn out this year who knows...? I would advise emailing Etihad asking if you could attend the Abu Dhabi assessments which I think are in July. I don't know if there are any spaces left though. I know it means forking out money for it, but what's a few hundred quid for an opportunity of a lifetime.

dirk85:

Anyway, considering 2 days for London, each with two sessions, I assume there have been far more than 600 people attending the tests...

No, only 600 people were booked to take the tests. Only 350 turned up.

airbandit
20th Feb 2009, 13:47
Looking from mine as a probable cadet view, the less people attending the assesment, the better for me, of course not for the EA :)
Say, did you see female cadets? :cool:

ATCNoob
20th Feb 2009, 13:51
Yes, I saw about 3 girls in my session. I don't know about others. You may also be interested that currently on the programme they have 5 girls training with Etihad; 3 U.A.E nationals and 2 foreign.

student88
20th Feb 2009, 13:52
That said, with the poor turn out this year who knows...?

Yes, quite a few didn't turn up however I'd hardly call it a poor turn out.

ATCNoob
20th Feb 2009, 14:01
Yes, quite a few didn't turn up however I'd hardly call it a poor turn out.

So, you think that 58% of candidates turning up for only the FIRST stage is OK? :hmm: Yes, that's almost HALF who didn't turn up. If they had opened 1000 places for just London and only 580 turned up, would that be a good turn out because 580 people came? I would say it's hardly a good turn out!

Let's say for arguments sake that it costs £50 per person to be assessed at the first stage, due to hotel bookings, flights, assessors pay etc etc etc. That's £30 000! Now if you take that and divide it by 350 you get approximately £85 per person. That's assuming it costs £50 per person, but I would probably guess it's even higher. Do you think Etihad would consider an almost 70% rise on the cost per candidate to them as being good?

airbandit
20th Feb 2009, 14:13
Actually I think it was possible to cheat number of people who had to come :) Etihad did not require to apply from their website and provide accurate details about yourself, so theoretically it was possible to sign up imaginary people :eek:
I suggest that applications should be made much more serious than just an email :hmm:

Evileyes
20th Feb 2009, 14:21
Deniz

These phrases - Seniority Number, Date Of Hire, Class Date, or whatever the airline you are looking at uses to define seniority, are absolutely critical to an airline pilots career.

The 250 no-shows did indeed screw over 250 other applicants because the 250 who had to wait will probably be junior to those hired from the first group. Only a few number you say? Read on.

If you don't think that matters you may have a few shocks in store for you wherever you get hired.

Two examples:

I know pilots at a major airline hired on the 1st of a month who are a thousand+ numbers senior to guys hired on the 15th because of an airline buyout and the merger of seniority lists in the meantime.

While they interviewed on the same bloody day, only the order in which they were called/hired mattered. That's a potential career difference of hundreds of thousands of dollars (or even millions) over those simple phrases.

I know a pilot who had to get his bloodwork redrawn for his company hiring physical. That 5 day delay, like the one above, cost him dearly. He has been furloughed from that airline for 5 years now while his assessment roomate is fully employed with 5 years pay seniority and bennies.

And those are just two examples.

NOTHING at a first rate airline matters as much as your seniority number/date of hire. It determines pay, position, schedule, vacation, time spent sitting reserve, and quality of life in general.

Good luck!

Iver
20th Feb 2009, 14:33
It is not unusual for airlines to start their least experienced people on widebody aircraft as Second Officers. SOs are "cruise pilots" who do very few landings but instead learn more about aviating from the most experienced pilots. You find this at Cathay Pacific - junior pilots often start as SOs on the 747-400, 777 and A340. The longer flights require 3 pilots anyway including a "cruise pilot." SOs would then get the landings they need in special simulator sessions once every 6-8 weeks. The point is that the most junior pilots are paired with the most senior/experienced pilots for a few years. At that point, transitioning to the A319/20 would be easier because of the time spent in very-experienced flight decks.

It sounds like direct to the A319/20 may be the path at Etihad. I realise airlines like Lufthansa have new recruits go direct to the 737s and A319/20s too.

Regardless, spending 5+ years at Etihad would be a good thing for your experience level. Plus, maybe you'll catch a glimpse of the 787s that have been ordered and "could" arrive around that time. I'd take a right seat in a 787 any time... Good luck to everyone in their selection process.

student88
20th Feb 2009, 14:38
Fortunately/unfortunately, whatever way you chose to look at it, all you had to do to get your name on the list was to send them an email saying you wished to attend. Anyone could have done that and when looking at the attendance figures you should keep that in mind. I could have used all my email addresses with a fictional name if I really wanted to!

There was no bond between the two sides. For example, when applying for other jobs you may have to supply copious amounts of information - maybe answer a few essay type questions - you'd want to attend an assessment after making such an effort! Clearly the majority of non-attendees forgot to let Etihad know which is a real shame.

There are numerous examples of disappointing turn out in life. Airlines over book flights for that exact reason. You don't invite 50 people to your party and expect a 100% attendance (unless you advertise it on myspace in which case you get 500% attendance) People book tables at restaurants and don't show up - c'est la vie.

With regards to your costing of assessment, that's the risk Etihad take when conducting a recruitment drive. You just don't know what will happen on the day. Good thing the snow showers over the UK didn't occur a few weeks later - that would have certainly killed off a few extra attendees!

NOTHING at a first rate airline matters as much as your seniority number/date of hire. It determines pay, position, schedule, vacation, time spent sitting reserve, and quality of life in general.
The airlines I have worked for have promoted on merit and not staff number and so they should too!

GeorgEGNT
20th Feb 2009, 14:48
Etihad did not require to apply from their website and provide accurate details about yourself, so theoretically it was possible to sign up imaginary people http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/eek.gif
I suggest that applications should be made much more serious than just an email

Well they knew your details and stuff so they must be using your email address to gain basic information about you. Something like that anyway.

I think its excellent how they are doing it. Say they actually did application forms. You could of filled in the best ever application form the airline has ever seen and then they invite you for a test. You completley screw it up and someone with excellent apptitude skills etc was turned down because their form was not short listed.

Plus its down to the simple reason of numbers, there so many applicants and so little staff. How many people would it take to sift through thousands of application forms? It wouldnt be a 'fair test' either in my opinion for something on this scale.

Get them in in bulk, slap a test on them and you've then immediatley and fairly ruled out the people who dont reach the standard without hours and hours of staff time sifted through thousands of application forms.

Just my opinion anyway.

ba038
20th Feb 2009, 14:52
hi , first post for me here n the forum ......just a question .....i attended the assesment on the 17Th but how would they know my name is corresponding to my e-mail address i mean i only gve my passport the lady and she gave it bk thts it im a bit confused a little help please.:confused:

student88
20th Feb 2009, 14:58
Refraining from asking you if you're serious, when you applied you sent them an email with your name written on it. When you turned up, they checked your passport to see if you are who you say you are. The number you were wearing, which you wrote on the assessment forms is unique to you. That way they know who to send the 'no' and 'maybe' emails to.

ATCNoob
20th Feb 2009, 15:06
With regards to your costing of assessment, that's the risk Etihad take when conducting a recruitment drive. You just don't know what will happen on the day. Good thing the snow showers over the UK didn't occur a few weeks later - that would have certainly killed off a few extra attendees!

Yes you are 100% correct - that is the risk they take. However, it still doesn't validate the statement you made saying, "I would hardly say that's a poor turn out..." - because it was! They said they have 'NEVER' seen a turn out like that since they started recruiting. Ask questions, instead of providing answers that aren't true.

How many airlines could you have worked for at the age of 20? If that is your real age. And what airline could promote pilots on merit? It is standard, even withine Etihad, to be promoted via seniority. The longer you are there the higher up you go. If you then move to another airline, you go back to the bottom. If that wasn't the case then you would have a much higher attrition rate of pilots at airlines as they would just up an leave without any consequence to them.

Evileyes
20th Feb 2009, 15:12
Student88

The airlines I have worked for have promoted on merit and not staff number and so they should too!

No offense meant but at the tender age of 20 I doubt you have spent much time "working for airlines" and have certainly not been there long enough to vie for a Captains seat.

I'll not argue the meritocracy vs. seniority based issue except to state that meritocracy companies are most definitely in the minority, are plagued with favoritism, cronyism and nepotism, and are generally small and not particularly profitable to work for.

Unless Dad owns the place, meritocracy remains a nice warm fuzzy phrase designed to keep the masses content while they wait for their lottery number to hit. What it actually means is that you have to ass kiss better than your mates to get promoted. The occasional backstab works wonders as well.

In all, not IMO what a professional pilot should be aspiring to in an airline career opportunity except as a hour builder to move on to a real airline, which is what I was describing in my previous post.

We now take you back to the Etihad discussion, sorry for the sidetrack.

Rj111
20th Feb 2009, 15:13
hi , first post for me here n the forum ......just a question .....i attended the assesment on the 17Th but how would they know my name is corresponding to my e-mail address i mean i only gve my passport the lady and she gave it bk thts it im a bit confused a little help please.http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

They'll probably match the name you provided on the Email, with the one on your passport.

Pretty innovative stuff. :eek:

ATCNoob
20th Feb 2009, 15:19
The advances of email these days are truly amazing! ;)

ba038
20th Feb 2009, 15:21
the problem here is that i dont remember if wrote my name on the e-mail or not i hink i did but if i didnt then presumingly they will ask for my e-mail address when i caame to them.....

Rj111
20th Feb 2009, 15:25
You may be foolish enough to fail to write your name on an application email, but i doubt EY are foolish enough to accept someone without knowing their name. So i'm sure they got it.

student88
20th Feb 2009, 15:35
ATCNoob - I have just read back over the thread and noticed the 350/600 remark - I didn't see this before and yes, you're right, it's a pretty low figure - was this the final figure or an estimate? I'm still not complaining - less chance of someone having a higher score than me.

Just FYI, I am 20. 21 in April to be precise!

With regards to the promotion on merit and not staff number, I was generally talking about both halves of the on-board crew - cabin and flight. You and I both know that there are many FOs out there who really don't have what it takes to captain and aircraft. On these occasions their staff number wont get them a command course!

No offence taken Evileyes. I've only worked for 2 airlines since I joined the industry at a very naieve 17 years of age. Both airlines are major players in the UK/European market.

ba038
20th Feb 2009, 15:43
yep...thts true ....hope i pass

ATCNoob
20th Feb 2009, 15:44
It was the figure given to us by the assessors. As we were the last session in London they must have had a pretty accurate figure to go by.

With regards to Etihad. They say they are looking for future Captains in the selection stages not just FOs.

HDP
20th Feb 2009, 16:14
When someone from London gets an email with the dates of the second round in April, could they please post them here? I'm going to the assessments in FRA but would need to provisionally book the dates in April off work in case I got through. Many thanks.

student88
20th Feb 2009, 16:19
18.02 @ 0900 were told 13th-15th April for stage two. Also told it would last 5 days so maybe 13th - 17th but don't take that as gospel.

EYZ
20th Feb 2009, 17:38
No, take it as gosple, thats whats they said 5 days over those dates!

ATCNoob
20th Feb 2009, 18:29
EYZ - How many applicants are expected to turn out at Frankfurt?

HDP
20th Feb 2009, 18:40
EYZ:
No, take it as gosple, thats whats they said 5 days over those dates!

And if you're unable to make those dates, would Etihad be happy if you asked them to defer your application to the intake in September?

It's not so bad for the people in LHR, but for the people going to FRA it's only 3 weeks between the initial assessment and the next round in Abu Dhabi. It could potentially leave many people who have full-time employment in a bad position (in my workplace we're required to give 4 weeks notice for any time off - no exceptions to the rule).

Perscitus
20th Feb 2009, 18:51
the problem here is that i dont remember if wrote my name on the e-mail or not i hink i did but if i didnt then presumingly they will ask for my e-mail address when i caame to them.....

Well you can always check your sent items folder to see your email. It's one of 2 things:

You signed your name in the email or
Your email had your name in it, so they could search.If they didn't know, they would of asked your email address like they did for the guy infront of me

Jamaican training captain talking about the UAE summer:
Now I am Jamaican, and I don't mind the heat, but it is brrrrrrrrutal.

Just on my way back from the assessment, I've had a really good day. The guys running it were really funny and put everyone at ease.

I found the Jamaican guy very funny! So was Matt actually! Very nice bunch of guys; hopefully will get to work alongside them in the future.

Yeah they were funny lol. They would diss each other indirectly when giving the presentation. I would crack up when Matt would call the Jamaican Captain (does anyone remember his name btw? ) "Captain Mustard" cos of his shirt.

If I do get to fly for Etihad, it's gonna be laughs.

ily09
20th Feb 2009, 19:04
The only thing I can write down for the ''speakers'' of Etihad Airways is,

WELL DONE :ok:

well done (and one more time)

WELL DONE

Even words can't express
How I felt after taking the assessment
I really enjoyed it and hereby I want to express gratitude for this amazing opportunity.

gone till november
20th Feb 2009, 19:31
student88

no airline will ever put low hours cadets onto a wide body.

In the old days BA used to put some of its fresh cadets straight onto the Tristar L1011 o n the RHS.

Emirates also trains cadets and where do you think they put them:eek:

Good luck to all of you.

This is an increasingly rare opportunity. Grab it with both hands and dont let go:cool:

PA28R
20th Feb 2009, 19:58
Can you really see someone with 250hrs going straight into a 777 or A330/340?

my friend he works in qatar he is flying a330, and he joined as cadet as well.

student88
20th Feb 2009, 20:15
Ahh, first TR in an L1011, how amazing would that be. Beautiful aircraft :)

Baggers
20th Feb 2009, 20:36
Hey

Im attending in Frankfurt. Do you need a PPL do this scheme as it doesnt say anything about it on the site.

Thanks

airbandit
20th Feb 2009, 21:11
You don't need PPL :) It doesn't make any difference you have it or not.

Mike Whiskey Romeo
20th Feb 2009, 21:13
I would crack up when Matt would call the Jamaican Captain (does anyone remember his name btw? ) "Captain Mustard" cos of his shirt.

His name was Jason, can't remember his surname off hand.

Ya they were all a good laugh, to be honest it wasn't what I was expecting. Very refreshing and makes me want it even more!

Mike

Baggers
20th Feb 2009, 22:39
legend, thank you. the website is prety poor it doesnt really say anything

flying high2009
21st Feb 2009, 03:30
hey guys,
i am slightly confused with stage 2 thing. correct me if i am wrong. there are eight centres for the assessments,and about 12 cadet will chosen for this elite programme. then how is that london and frankfurt guys get to give the stage 2 before other guys giving in other centres(its nothing against the london or frankfurt guys)? also i read in someone's post here that the course is gona start in the month of june 2010..is that true? when will the stage 2 start approxmately for the guys who give their tests in the month of aug and sep?...:ok:..and all the best for the guys giving their test in frankfurt....cheers

flying high2009
21st Feb 2009, 03:37
Also can someone kindly post the information which etihad had on cadet programme on their website...cauz i cant see that information on the website any more...thanks:O

Homy
21st Feb 2009, 08:56
During the London tests on the 18th we were lead to believe that stage two would commence around the 13th of April 09 with courses starting June 09. There were also options available to defer stage two till later this year but cant quite remember when. Good luck to everyone. I hope i`ve done enough to get through

student88
21st Feb 2009, 10:43
AFAIK, the June 09' training course will be for the successful candidates from the London and Frankfurt assessments combined. We were also told they were looking for 70 cadets this year, not 12.

Leading Edge 7e7
21st Feb 2009, 12:03
70 guys probably for the whole of 2009 not just from London + Frankfurt, course starting in june could never be of number 70, as regulatory authorities would never allow such a big number in a class which in turn means there would have to be lots of batches starting at the same time in june.

Besides do you really think 70 candidates will make it through that rigorous assessment process, i have my doubts. you might get through 1 or 2 or 3 or 4 or even maybe 5 tests having to ace all 6 is not a walk in the park.

Not to forget Psychometric + Goup Discussion + Interview at the phase 2, and if you still make it to face a Medical at the Phase 3

Number 70 still sounds unreal for June class only.

Leading Edge 7e7
21st Feb 2009, 12:24
i personally think every single person selected from London and Frankfurt for a course in june will be an ACE OF ACES.

Good Luck London
Good Luck Frankfurt

Can not wait to be at Frankfurt counting down 29 days to go.:ok:

student88
21st Feb 2009, 12:48
Thanks for that leading edge however if you had read what I said you would have noticed I said 70 cadets this year - not 70 cadets from London and Frankfurt.

flying high2009
21st Feb 2009, 12:55
ya what student88 is saying sounds logical...they do have assessments in other 6 places also.what i cant understand is that are they gona people from london and frankfurt in their 1st batch and will their 2nd batch consits of people from other cetres or are they planning to make batches from 2 assessment places? :ok:

student88
21st Feb 2009, 13:11
Aussie_Flo - I will PM you.

ba038
21st Feb 2009, 13:11
i just checked my mail and i did write my name .....thx for help .......deos anyone know exactly what day i might recive the "no" or "maybe" ...cause they said about a week an i can remember matt saying to me he wanted all the papers marked the same day ..i attended on the on the 17th so would that mean i will get a reply quicker than the people who attended the 18th ......

Leading Edge 7e7
21st Feb 2009, 13:22
Thanks student88 my mistake.:oh:

F/O UFO
21st Feb 2009, 14:39
I thought the deal was those who were selected for stage 2 (presuming they got through it) could defer starting the course till later in the year. i.e. you do not HAVE to start in June

Toubob
21st Feb 2009, 15:27
I would suggest that you ask the participants what the assesors were wearing. Anything less formal than them may be construed as a bit casual.

I know that if I was conducting an interview and was in jacket and tie and someone showed up in trainers and bling, I would think he/she was taking the day less seriously than me. As in all social events it is better to err on the side of conservatism and dress up not down.

My two cents worth.

lester8436
21st Feb 2009, 15:47
I attended the assessments in London on the 19th, me and MOST of the other candidates were wearing suits.
Thoroughly enjoyed the assessment day the guys at Etihad really put you at ease, I also loved the comment that Jason made about the heat being BRUTAL!!!
Good Luck everyone going to Frankfurt ... And big thank you to Etihad Airways !

larrio
21st Feb 2009, 15:58
my reply button for private messages refused to work :s grr

idd good luck mate and good luck to everybody else who applied

EYZ
21st Feb 2009, 16:19
Just for my 2 cents worth on the dress code, a shirt and tie is the worsed you should come with. I honestly do not think that Etihad will consider you if your in jeans and T-shirts. As far as I know there is no dress code, however you only get the chance to make a first impression once, I did notice the Etihad guys looking at peoples dress, why take a chance to miss out over a tie??

ATCNoob
21st Feb 2009, 16:28
If in doubt - wear a suit! :ok:

larrio
21st Feb 2009, 16:48
yes idd! you only have one shot to make a first impression! eyz what # were you? i was L330.

SU-GCM
21st Feb 2009, 17:01
Hello everybody and Good luck for those who attended the london assesments

As noone will be giving details about the 6 exams or whatever their number was
what about giving some advices on how one should prepare for the assmesent or If YOU Found it easy to answer why don't you share how you prepared for it

Good Luck again everybody !

N.B : Since I can't find anyone in the Forums going to AUH assesments,, Am I going there alone? :p

ba038
21st Feb 2009, 17:13
Aussie .....no tht is not my assumption thats what the captain whos orginising it had mentioned during the break.

SD10
21st Feb 2009, 17:20
What´s up with all the talk about what to wear? Just put something on that looks proper. Neither a tie or a suit will get you through to the second round, it´s all about the 6 tests and that´s it. As one of the captains said, too many people think of what to wear for the interviews rather than coming prepared for the questions.

ap_797
21st Feb 2009, 17:42
prepare how you think you should prepare, thats what the rest of us did. If your good enough, you'll be good enough!

And yep, any mention or indication of what to expect/prepare for is to the detriment of London people as the assessors said so no sensible person would post such information.

ATCNoob
21st Feb 2009, 18:43
Even that is too much information in my opinion. I didn't know that the first time I went into the tests...

:ugh:

CDR A320
21st Feb 2009, 19:16
Hi guys this a newbee on this forum . I too like many of you attended the assessment in london & found it very cool . L273 if your reading this i would like to know why were you asked to meet one one of the captains. by the way i was the one sitting beside you L273.

airthreetwenty
21st Feb 2009, 19:23
Isn't this just tests? Why did you mention a meeting with a captain?

CDR A320
21st Feb 2009, 19:37
because the guys conducting the tests were A330/340 CAPTAINS.

malirm
21st Feb 2009, 22:35
So Let me give you a Summary,

1. 6 tests to be conducted, the exams are fairly a kinda easy (search the Forum...etc.), but Etihad is looking for HIGH scores, unlike me ;) or maybe like me :confused:
-results might come out on or before the 26th of Feb (after a week of the assessments date).
- Fail in one exam...you fail in the whole thing (thats what happened in the last year's assessments!!!)

2. Dress what you feel is right

3. 70 cadets will be recruited for this year ''2009'', don't remember how many from Europe.

4. Stage 2 will take place between the 13th & 17th of April 09, this will include Psychomotor, Personality Profile, Group exercise & interview(s) + some Tours that I will arrange (I DONT WORK IN ETIHAD), but like to meet you guys as I did with the former Batch.

5. Stage 3 will take place in June, thats what I know till now.

Any more info...just start from no. 6 :ok:, I haven't heard about Jumbo744, EYZ & JShendis's Performance...how did you do people???, hope you've done well

ATCNoob
21st Feb 2009, 23:46
Hello malirm! Sorry I couldn't meet up with you when you came over here...it would have been nice to return the favour you did when I was in Abu Dhabi last year... :) I hope you did well - I hope I did well! Let's hope we will be at the interviews together this time...

malirm
21st Feb 2009, 23:57
Hi Man,

No Problem...anytime, hope one of us makes it through "at Least" :{, now I know what it feels like after 3 days from the assessments (exactly the opposite of the feeling I got just after the exam)...anyways, I'm still in the UK for the coming days...why not meet up (All PPRuNers of EY cadet Pilot wanabes), any thoughts???

flying high2009
22nd Feb 2009, 03:37
@malirim
the info posted by you about number of cadets getting selected this year was that told by the assessors?

Leading Edge 7e7
22nd Feb 2009, 03:57
malirm:

recently met the guys in their phase 2 and 3, was told it took them 3 months from the time they sat 6 tests.
Do let us know when you are back in AUH will catch up here.
Hope to c u before i turn up for Frankfurt.

malirm
22nd Feb 2009, 04:49
The info was given by the assessors...about the last year's batch, I think it took them from Aug/Sep till Dec to start...they started in Dec as far as i can remember, but came to Abu Dhabi in Sep, Oct & Nov(end of it)!!!

Hawksley
22nd Feb 2009, 07:16
did they mention how many cadets they took last year?

Jumbo744
22nd Feb 2009, 08:05
It was nice meeting you guys.

I think I did pretty well in all the exams. I've spotted 4-5 mistakes I made on one test, and I couldn't sleep the night after the assessment! But what is done is done so that's it. But even with 4-5 mistakes I don't think it's a fail, the problem is that I'm sure many guys will have just ONE mistake so I'm out of the process I think. Those mistakes I made were on the first exam. Then everything was very easy. There is another exam I can't say if I did good or not really, so I hope I will have some luck.

I prefer to think that I failed so that I don't get too disappointed when the results come out.

To all the guys that are going to do the assessment in the next weeks/month, I know it's frustrating that we won't tell you what the exams are about, but you will understand our position when you will be done with the exams.

This is a very good experience, it will let you know how you behave, and how fast you can think/work under time pressure.

Enjoy and good luck to all :ok:

ATCNoob
22nd Feb 2009, 08:32
@ malirm

We should have met up on the 19th...I didn't know that you were still here. Are you living in Windsor near where the assessment was? The trouble is, I live in Bournemouth and due to work wouldn't be able to travel into London....if possible you are more than welcome to come down to us if you are able to!

ATCNoob
22nd Feb 2009, 08:34
@ Hawksley - I believe the figure was 90 cadets for last year.

airbandit
22nd Feb 2009, 09:23
So, anyone remembers how many cadets from Europe?

xxTS-IQQxx
22nd Feb 2009, 09:58
according to Business Intelligence -Middel East:
The new group, containing 12 cadet pilots from countries around the world including Hungary, Canada and the United Kingdom, follows Etihad’s highly successful Emirati cadet pilot programme.

EYXW
22nd Feb 2009, 13:17
I believe there are 90 cadets in total - 12 of these are the internal international candidates and 15 are from last years European assessments there is a further course of international cadets which have been selected but are not due to start training for a couple of months yet as far as I know. The rest of the 90 are Emirati Nationals.

Best of luck to all.

ATCNoob
22nd Feb 2009, 14:35
I thought they had enough trouble finding that many UAE nationals to actually turn up for the first assessments...From what we were told in London they only managed to find around 60 locals to apply, hence the international search. Please tell me if I am way off the mark though...? I am not entirely sure.

StandardToaster
22nd Feb 2009, 17:04
Student88

That rephrase was a lot better. I think you just forgot the Far East... CX, KA, SQ, etc.

EYXW
22nd Feb 2009, 18:48
The Scheme has been running for some time, I think my figures are fairly accurate for the cadets currently in training, though I don't know what the current local take up is. Emiritisation (providing positive opportunities for Emiratis to be employed) is, and rightly, remains a big push though.

ATCNoob
22nd Feb 2009, 19:19
The Scheme has been running for some time, I think my figures are fairly accurate for the cadets currently in training, though I don't know what the current local take up is. Emiritisation (providing positive opportunities for Emiratis to be employed) is, and rightly, remains a big push though.

Maybe someone else could provide some more info...?

PIREP 123
22nd Feb 2009, 23:30
Hello,

I have recently applied for the Etihad scheme. I would just like to ask if I should bother attending the assessment in Abu Dhabi if I have a drink driving conviction. I made a stupid mistake 4 years ago which hopefully won't affect me. Does anyone know if it will?

P.S Sorry if it has been covered already somewhere else on this site.

skhan11
23rd Feb 2009, 00:36
Very interesting question, I don't believe this has been answered before on the thread. Though, I think its right on the top of my list for best questions asked on the Etihad Cadet Pilot Thread

I personally think you should be okay as long as you learned your lesson, realized your mistake, and aren't planning on getting any drinking flying convictions (zero tolerance for that in Aviation) :E

Cheers and good-luck. Just don't ask the assessors in AUH that exact question, and I think you might have a chance :ok:

PIREP 123
23rd Feb 2009, 01:00
Thanks skhan11! Do you think that it would affect the security clearance though?

skhan11
23rd Feb 2009, 01:27
Hey, no problem bud.

I don't want to tell you anything wrong, and whatever I say is just my opinion.

As for the security clearance question, I highly doubt it. Especially seeing as it was 4 years ago and I assume it was an honest mistake. But then again, if they were to find out some how later on in the stages, I don't think it will reflect well on your part. But I personally would just go and try getting perfect on the tests, getting through the different stages and not stress too much about the conviction 4 years ago.

I mean does it count as a criminal offense in the UK? In Canada, I am pretty sure that just your driving record gets a hit and a hefty fine along with your car going straight to the impound.

There are some others on this forum who give good opinions, wait to see what they might have to say about this. I am by no means an expert, I just found your question to be so original.

But good luck man, and just hope for the best I guess!

flying high2009
23rd Feb 2009, 02:40
@PIREP 123
i am pretty sure they would question you depending on the report which will be sent to them by your country's immigration department in UAE. but then four years is a long time so just chill i think you will be fine and have no problems...:ok:

captain_overspeed
23rd Feb 2009, 05:14
It may be a problem for your certifications. I knew a kid from my groundschool class at Embry-Riddle, who had issues attaining his 1st class medical because of a DUI.

Rj111
23rd Feb 2009, 08:22
Out of interest. Did any PPruners make it onto the course last year?

PIREP 123,

Really prepare a good answer for that because they are likely to ask you about it if you get to the interview stage.

ali_sheikh88
23rd Feb 2009, 08:25
can anyone summarize LONDON asessment..

xxTS-IQQxx
23rd Feb 2009, 09:14
hello
It s really a very bad situation ,but i did my research :
if you do well in the first stage you will be asked to send them ,among others, a copy of your criminal record .In other words it must be ´clean´!!!!
The question is now ,what kind of conviction was that ??? was there any casualty???or to be precise did you have to appear before a court ????in that case they will for sure ask you about it :uhoh::uhoh:,otherwise no one could spot it because of the Data Protection and Besides ,you got the lesson ,i think .So the Best of Luck ...and Bear up!!!:ok::ok:

lester8436
23rd Feb 2009, 10:54
If you have a Drink driving conviction in the UK you will have a criminal record, so to answer your question, Etihad will require a clean record which you won't have?, correct me if im wrong.

malirm
23rd Feb 2009, 12:16
Hi, I'll ask the Police men in the UAE...as I will be having 8 security checks/clearances to All UAE airports including a US base in RAK, so, I'll be back to you just before the 6th of MARCH.

But till this moment...I think its OK, as long as you regret it.

Hope we get something within the the coming few days about our results.

EYZ
23rd Feb 2009, 12:21
At what point do Etihad as for your past DUI convictions? I have not hear this said before or indeed seen it in practice.
If I was you I would worry more about getting selected, cross each bridge as you come to it.
:ok:

larrio
23rd Feb 2009, 12:25
yes malrim i hope we will receive the e-mail soon. But we have to realise that the people from Etihad are quite busy too. correcting all the tests.. It was a lot for us to make it, but its also a lot of work for them to correct them and to mail the candidates.

Have Faith

btw i think i saw u.. i was also on the first row (L330). on the right-hand side of the laptop. with the red tie. It was a nice experience though..

malirm
23rd Feb 2009, 12:37
I was sitting on the Left Hand Row, in the Front on the Max Left, my friend was sitting beside me & then a big gap between you & us...are u sure u were that guy sitting beside the Laptop...I was wearing a Red Tie too :ok:

PIREP 123
23rd Feb 2009, 17:20
Thanks to everyone for their advice and input. It has made me feel much better about it all! Good luck to everyone who has already taken the tests, I will let you know how I get on in time to come.

ba038
23rd Feb 2009, 17:48
does anyone know exactly when we will be recieving our results back because tommoro will be a week since i sat my test . i respect the they have a high volume of candiates to assess and get back to but any rough estimate of when theyll get bk to me .....does anyone now from last year or something on when they got e-mail?

student88
23rd Feb 2009, 18:07
I'd expect the latest you'll hear is Friday - that's at least a week after the last test day (Thursday). It's a waiting game and we're all playing it. I guess you're going to have to learn to be patient!;)

SD10
23rd Feb 2009, 18:20
Lets say you get a "Maybe" from London.. That can still turn into a "No" after the Frankfurt assessment right? So my question is when will one know for sure that you are through to the second stage? Will we eventually get a "Yes" email sometime after the Frankfurt assessments? I don´t know how it was las year.. Good luck too all

malirm
23rd Feb 2009, 18:43
I 2nd say what student88 said, bytheway...why did u nickname yourself as student88...:confused:, for me...its a shortcut to my name!

Leading Edge 7e7
23rd Feb 2009, 19:32
for some reason i feel competition is tougher this year as lots of people are taking this assessment second time around.

Results for London will be out sooner or later but im afraid wait could be even longer for London boys n girls coz Frankfurt results will make the final call.

It will be very interesting to see what sort of batch London and Frankfurt would make.:cool:

Leading Edge 7e7
23rd Feb 2009, 19:42
By the way i hold clearance to 4 intl airports in UAE including AUH and RAK but dont remember going through any stringet process like i faced back in the UK , it nearly took me 3 months to get my Gatwick pass sorted even with the clean scotish disclosure (not talking temp pass).

malirm
23rd Feb 2009, 20:20
Hi Leading Edge, this is my first time doing this stuff...what do you know about it & how much time does it take???, what did you fly in the UAE skies..did you go anywhere International with the plane, like Oman or...

Leading Edge 7e7
24th Feb 2009, 03:56
malirm
to your PMs

pilot_pro
24th Feb 2009, 09:48
Hi,

Hey i am attending the assessment in johannesburg....

pilot_pro
24th Feb 2009, 09:56
Hi everyone,

Got my assessment in johannesburg, anyone meetin me there and yes any advice...

FlyingMoggy2
24th Feb 2009, 10:44
Hello all, i've just been looking at Etihad's website and i no longer see a cadet section. Has the application period passed? I went to the Sydney assessment last year and was told we should reapply till 6 months later, and that assessments in Sydney would be around June this year. Just getting paranoid i missed the opportunity this year...:confused: Anyone know anything about the Sydney assessment this year or when to apply?

joniss
24th Feb 2009, 10:48
@FlyingMoggy2 (http://www.pprune.org/members/98860-flyingmoggy2)

Last time I saw the cadet application page there was written that they do not accept anymore applications this year.

FlyingMoggy2
24th Feb 2009, 12:25
Thanks for the reply, i found the news that said they aren't taking any more applicants. Rather unfortunate for those who took their advice to wait 6 months before sending in the email...:sad:

Miari
24th Feb 2009, 15:12
Hi,

i am attending in Joannesburg too

Have you already received any e-mail with all the details about the assessment day?:confused:

Good luck to everyone!!

ATCNoob
24th Feb 2009, 22:05
Hi all,

Does anyone know if the 5 days in Abu Dhabi (if successful) will include a medical. I was just doing the math and it would seem a bit tight to do the interviews from 13- 17 April and then have a 2 week wait for the results. Then be invited back sometime in May in order to have the medicals done...then back to Europe for a few weeks and then back AGAIN to go to Al Ain. Was just wondering because last year it was only 3 days in Abu Dhabi with no medical although I do remember a medical being mentioned at some point.

Any thoughts...?

malirm
24th Feb 2009, 22:32
Hi, I think a medical will be made for those who are successful on the last day...but I don't know if Etihad must have the doctor(s)/medical center informed about it...thats why they didn't make it in the same time last year (I think) + the competition would be really tough between Stage 2 guys & would take sometime to decide who they're gonna take.

I'm also wondering if I do have a Security Clearance/check & a current GCAA class one medicals...should I go through the whole process again???... :confused:

Our main concern now is to pass the Stage 1...hope we get to that point to start truely worrying about the coming stages :ugh:

ATCNoob
24th Feb 2009, 23:58
Hi, I think a medical will be made for those who are successful on the last day...but I don't know if Etihad must have the doctor(s)/medical center informed about it...thats why they didn't make it in the same time last year (I think) + the competition would be really tough between Stage 2 guys & would take sometime to decide who they're gonna take.

I'm also wondering if I do have a Security Clearance/check & a current GCAA class one medicals...should I go through the whole process again???... http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

Our main concern now is to pass the Stage 1...hope we get to that point to start truely worrying about the coming stages :ugh:

I see. I am getting very much ahead of myself, I know, but I need to give my work quite a bit of notice regarding leave so I am just trying to prepare myself. Hopefully it will be done at the same time IF I am successful. Will cross that bridge when (IF) it comes though.

I think your medical will probably last a few years, won't it? I don't know about the security clearance though...

EYXW
25th Feb 2009, 05:46
Candidates Successful at Stage 1 go to Stage 2 in Abu Dhabi - if it is like last year the process is then a bit "Apprentice" like in that you have to pass each day to stay on - PILAPT then Interviews/Group Exercises then Medical - last year the medical was separate but they were trying to organise it to do it all at once.

The best policy though will be to sit back and wait to see how phase 1 goes and then information for the later phases will be forthcoming.

Malirm your GCAA Class 1 should be valid for 1 year - Cadets are usually assessed for a Class 2 SP medical which is valid 2 years but it upgradable to a full class 1 - the medical is free so I would just go through it to save you having to get your current medical renewed soon. Thought there is the benefit that you already know you will pass that stage when you come to it! :ok:

ppiilloott
25th Feb 2009, 07:33
E-mails have started to come through.

How did you guys get on??

lester8436
25th Feb 2009, 08:01
I have not received my email as yet, have other people that went on the 19th at 2pm got them ?

ppiilloott
25th Feb 2009, 08:11
No not yet.

It is only the 17th and 18th guys so far I think.

Rj111
25th Feb 2009, 08:18
I'm definitely not jumping the gun and assuming i will pass stage 1. But how much would stage 2 roughly costs with flights + accom and everything if i were to.

ppiilloott
25th Feb 2009, 08:33
I think Etihad pay for it all, so just spending money if you go exploring.

Even if they didn't, they are pretty good value for getting out to the UAE, they are currently doing fares from Heathrow to Abu Dhabi, for about £150.

EYXW
25th Feb 2009, 08:43
The rest of the process is funded by EY so enjoy - good luck to all those due to receive emails!

Rj111
25th Feb 2009, 08:53
Well that's jolly nice of them. I can't help shake the feeling that i've just gone and jinxed it now though. :}

APWB
25th Feb 2009, 09:08
Hello guys,

I got my e-mail today but unfortunately I didn't make it! :ugh:
Very heartbreaking!

Oh well maybe it wasn't meant to be.

But it says we can apply again in 12 months(?).

Good luck to the rest!

Let us know what happened.

ichenel
25th Feb 2009, 10:14
Hi guys..

Got my response a couple of hours ago. and i didnt make it too.:( Im really really disappointed...I was counting on that program to realise my dream. I have a feeling this kind of assessment is unfair though. I think they should review CVs or sumthin first. Cause anyone can attend the assessment and some probably don have that much interest in aviation or knowledge and I don know if going straight to assessments is an objective way of selecting pilots. cause you might be a rocket scientist and shoot through those assessments but that doesnt mean you can become a good pilot. Ive been flying a lil in Australia and clocked 27 hours on a 172. I went solo after 7 hours of flight only and scored on average 95% in exams. I had to stop cause of financial difficulties. Since my local airline is in real trouble and wont be hiring cadets anytime soon, my only hope is Etihad. Gotta wait another year.....oh well i guess thats life. Good luck to you other guys who are waiting for a response.

CheerZ

easy1
25th Feb 2009, 10:22
It's one hurdel that you have to overcome I'm afraid. Haven't got my reply yet am also expecting a no, but you have to be in it to win it. Even if you got a maybe or a yes it does not mean you are safe!! Just keep at it. I think Etihad have the right idea. Lt anyone come in, there are lots of FTO's out there who are far to quick to turn you down because you don't have a certain grade or you have not got the right experiance. Hats off to Etihad they give you a fair chance, but with that comes a lot of competition! (amsure I will not be so postive when I get my reply!) But just keep that in mind

GBB
25th Feb 2009, 10:33
I know this might sound kind of harsh, but...
Its fair for everybody to "give it a try". You could as well say that they are people out there that didnt clock even one hour but would be much better pilots than many of us, coz they have a hidden talent somwhere down there which they do not even know about. (EY might be looking for this sort of people)
So what makes you think that yow would be a better cadet pilot? Your 2X hours in C172 and intrest in aviation? Think about it again.
Dont take it personal or anything, but you cant think this way.

I think its not the end of the world for anybody that is not going to pass.
I always say that you should thank the God for what you have and take such a gig as cadet program as some sort of bonus in your life, if u make it!
If this is your dream job, you will not give up and you gonna get there, one or the other way!
We all have the same right and we all should be treated in the same way, isnt that correct?
I say.. Dont put all your hopes on such a "gig", coz theres very few that will make it at the end.

One more thing to remember. There is probably 1XXXX guys and girls that were not even lucky enough to able to have a shot at it! Coz they recived "Sorry we are full e-mails"...

Good Luck to all of you.

ichenel
25th Feb 2009, 10:44
I guess you're right. Im just so disappointed i don really know what to think. But hey, thats life. Its just that its not the first time I dont manage. First time I tried with my local airline they said I was too young( i was 19). then i decided to fund my own studies but 1/3 of the way through the bank says thats all the money you gonna get, so I sit idle for 6 months and eventually stop. Then i get this opportunity which I applied for 8 months ago and I don get it again. But I totally agree with you, everyone deserves a chance. Im not saying that Im better than anyone else, just that I know I can do it and that after 3 years of trying i still cant get to do what Ive always dreamed of. I guess ill have to give it another go next year....its not the end of the wolrd...! Good luck to all of u other guys wiating for a response.!

malirm
25th Feb 2009, 10:58
I haven't got through...although I know that, but don't know why I got shocked when I saw it!!!, good luck for you all in the coming assessments & hope you all do fine...:ok:

See the guys who made it through to stage 2 back in AD...I'll be more than happy to help you!!!

Thanks to the Captains from Etihad & thanks to everybody I met in the hotel that day...It was really a nice experience.

student88
25th Feb 2009, 11:04
Hi guys, I didn't get through either! But good news is now I can spend the whole of April in Spain :ok: waheyy!

dirk85
25th Feb 2009, 11:06
Still have to do my assessment in FRA.
But I'm sorry for you guys who didn't make it, expecially for malirm and student88, that have showed a great attitude during the assessment so far. I mean, in giving informations, in helping other people, in sharing informations.
Maybe you won't be an Etihad pilot this year, but don't give up, I'm sure you will be a good pilot in a great company one day.
Cheers